• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma Airedale Basketball 2014-2015 (22-5) (10-3)

Started by AT, October 02, 2014, 11:15:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P.F.G.

Wh
Wh
Wh
Where am I?

Been a while since I've been on here. Took in my first game of the year with monk in town. Good atmosphere, scrappy undersized alma team. I refuse to watch alma play the Crawford county cupcake and the real cupcake classic but glad to see the girls playing hard and winning some games again. Steve, glad to see you and SNWA stirring the pot still. SNWA, how has the recovery been going for syd's knee?

SNWA

AT

Finals from last night:

Girls
Alma - 68
Cedarville - 39

Boys
Alma - 63
Cedarville - 24

The boys and girls of Alma both went 3-0 in the CBD classic and won it.

The boys did exactly what they needed to do. They came out and beat these teams like they were supposed to.

They won by..

46, 39, and 39 points again. Great job guys.

Paris is your typical trap game. The Airedales have a 7A opponent against Springdale on Friday, the 'Dales just played 4 games in a week including 3 games in 3 days. Paris is improved and will be better than any team the 'Dales just played in the CBD classic...

Tuesday will be an interesting game.

Burks

P.F.G.

Quote from: Burks on December 14, 2014, 06:44:41 pm
Why are Airedales playing those schools?

Don't question out methods. Took us three years for our girls to beat mulberry

ahsalum

Quote from: P.F.G. on December 13, 2014, 10:16:20 pm
Wh
Wh
Wh
Where am I?

Been a while since I've been on here. Took in my first game of the year with monk in town. Good atmosphere, scrappy undersized alma team. I refuse to watch alma play the Crawford county cupcake and the real cupcake classic but glad to see the girls playing hard and winning some games again. Steve, glad to see you and SNWA stirring the pot still. SNWA, how has the recovery been going for syd's knee?

Glad you aren't dead.......wondered that for a while.....

You gonna grace us with your presence for a while now......?

backatyou

Quote from: P.F.G. on December 14, 2014, 07:25:35 pm

I think we barely beat Mt. Burg last year to,I believe they only had three girls on the floor when we pulled it off!

DogsWin7

Quote from: backatyou on December 15, 2014, 12:50:00 pm

I think we barely beat Mt. Burg last year to,I believe they only had three girls on the floor when we pulled it off!

What is Alma's Airedalettes record under this Coach??     I don't hear much about them.

AT

Girls Final

Alma - 61
Paris - 47

Boys starting now. Games starting earlier because of semester tests.

AT

Boys
Alma - 71
Paris - 74

That will humble the Airedales and fans a bit probably.

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 16, 2014, 06:53:09 pm
Boys
Alma - 71
Paris - 74

Well, it's not easy playing in Europe and using the international ball.

AT

Quote from: ricepig on December 16, 2014, 06:59:23 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on December 16, 2014, 06:53:09 pm
Boys
Alma - 71
Paris - 74

Well, it's not easy playing in Europe and using the international ball.

The jet lag killed us.

P.F.G.

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on December 15, 2014, 01:00:32 pm
Quote from: backatyou on December 15, 2014, 12:50:00 pm

What is Alma's Airedalettes record under this Coach??     I don't hear much about them.

2 state titles. Several seasons with single digit wins.

BigMan15

Quote from: Basketball on October 11, 2014, 06:41:40 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on October 11, 2014, 06:12:34 pm
Quote from: BigMan15 on October 11, 2014, 02:09:19 pm
Most likely I think it will be a great opportunity for our young Paris team....should be a great game with a great atomsphere.

Talk a little about Paris when you get the chance.
25 point Alma win.  Will be a great opp for Paris to play in a great arena.

I told you...

itsslim

I'm from southeast arkansas heard about the nice gym alma has, when would be a good game/s to come check out the nice facility and atmosphere?

P.F.G.

They play VB and greenwood at home. Both are rivals but the VB game would be a better atmosphere for the boys game. Trackster can give you the date

itsslim

ahsalum

The perfect storm happened last night....I was a little worried this past weekend about the Paris game after a huge win against Bennie and then 3 straight days of 40 point blowouts.......it was a rollercoaster of emotions type week....with that being said......let me first congratulate Paris on a great team win. They played great and their soph lit us up for 33 last night. That kid is a great player(is he really a soph?)....everything he threw up went in....the boy can play.

Alma looked like they didn't want to be there .......at all. No excuse but they were flat....Alma will win this game 4 out of 5 times(as I'm sure Bennie would lay the same claim against us)......but that's just the reality of it. Anyhow...Paris should do some damage in their classification this year. Again...congrats to them. They have a really good team.

Alma needs to regroup and continue that 7A West winning streak Friday night against Springdale...They've lost Eckwood so maybe they won't give us much game this time.
With that being said.....I'll light up a cig and crack open a cold one right now.....

ahsalum

Quote from: itsslim on December 16, 2014, 07:32:10 pm
I'm from southeast arkansas heard about the nice gym alma has, when would be a good game/s to come check out the nice facility and atmosphere?

Anytime I'm there is a good time to be there...I'm the only individual in this entire state that is allowed to smoke at courtside....

This Friday Alma plays Springdale....should be a good game but if you want to come to a "great atmosphere" of a game...here are the two to circle on your calendar:

Jan. 13th/ Van Buren(awesome soph point guard on VB girls team....a 6'10" kid on the VB boys team....and a smartass of a student section)
Feb. 17th/Greenwood(they have an awesome girls team and will bring a great student section that will continually remind us of their dominance in football over us...should be a little "chippiness" if you know what I mean, during the boys game)

Jan. 13th would be my pick....two really competitive game with two great student sections.....should be plenty of cops at this game.

BigMan15

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 17, 2014, 08:18:36 am

The perfect storm happened last night....I was a little worried this past weekend about the Paris game after a huge win against Bennie and then 3 straight days of 40 point blowouts.......it was a rollercoaster of emotions type week....with that being said......let me first congratulate Paris on a great team win. They played great and their soph lit us up for 33 last night. That kid is a great player(is he really a soph?)....everything he threw up went in....the boy can play.

Alma looked like they didn't want to be there .......at all. No excuse but they were flat....Alma will win this game 4 out of 5 times(as I'm sure Bennie would lay the same claim against us)......but that's just the reality of it. Anyhow...Paris should do some damage in their classification this year. Again...congrats to them. They have a really good team.

Alma needs to regroup and continue that 7A West winning streak Friday night against Springdale...They've lost Eckwood so maybe they won't give us much game this time.
With that being said.....I'll light up a cig and crack open a cold one right now.....
Yes brandon fenner is only a sophmore in fact hes one of the youngest in the grade...on another note paris was without our starting post so im really happy the way we battled...hats off to Alma and the players the gym was amazing...

ahsalum

This kid has a bright future ahead of him. He doesn't lack confidence either. He's going to light some teams up this year for sure.

BigMan15

He was the freshman that got moved up for charleston last year we moved to paris this summer..

love2golf

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 17, 2014, 08:28:30 am
Quote from: itsslim on December 16, 2014, 07:32:10 pm

Anytime I'm there is a good time to be there...I'm the only individual in this entire state that is allowed to smoke at courtside....

This Friday Alma plays Springdale....should be a good game but if you want to come to a "great atmosphere" of a game...here are the two to circle on your calendar:

Jan. 13th/ Van Buren(awesome soph fresh point guard on VB girls team....a 6'10" kid on the VB boys team....and a smartass of a student section)
Feb. 17th/Greenwood(they have an awesome girls team and will bring a great student section that will continually remind us of their dominance in football over us...should be a little "chippiness" if you know what I mean, during the boys game)

Jan. 13th would be my pick....two really competitive game with two great student sections.....should be plenty of cops at this game.
Both games should be good ones. 

chucktownboys

Regarding Alma/Bentonville game what was the free throw difference in the two teams? Heard it was around 30 more for Alma? Monk in foul trouble and Alma won by 5? If a team shoots that many more free throws then they shouldn't lose many games.

A-Good-One

Alma had 39 (19 in fourth quarter)
Bentonville had 25

AT

Fouls aren't why Alma won. Alma won because they played good defense. Monk was 6-26 from the field and 1-12 from the three point line.

Alma shot so many free throws because they were getting to the basket at will in the fourth quarter.

AT

Also it was a foul fest on both sides in the fourth quarter. Monk went from 6 to 25 points in the fourth quarter mainly from the free throw line.

SNWA

December 19, 2014, 02:32:51 pm #177 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:45:13 pm by SNWA
The arena in Alma is the most difficult place to shoot in. The lighting from on the court is horrible. Most visiting teams will not shoot a high percentage there. Typically imo that is worth at least 10 points. So you had better be at least 11 points better or you are leaving the palace with a "L".

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: SNWA on December 10, 2014, 09:34:18 am
If your name is not Northside or Southside, then goodluck.   Does anyone know that the Greenwood girls are 8 and 0 and have mercy clocked 6 out of the 8. Heck no......but we will know every Ft Smith athletes favorite foods, hobbies and accomplishments. This has been on going. One thing for sure is that Alma does get more coverage than GW because of Kevin Taylor. He does a great job in that area. Maybe the writer resides in VB. lol. Sorry to all my Ft Smith friends, I know that they deserve it, but the local coverage is horrible. Perry, Alma will get write ups next week about wins over Mulberry, Mt Burg and Cedarville and have already had a few others......Have not seen one about the team from south Sebastian county yet....like everything else, all political.
Great win for the Airedales last night. They deserve the coverage.
I have griped and complained about that rag for years now...look no further than the sports editor...there lies your problem...

YC

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 19, 2014, 03:57:55 pm
If your name is not Northside or Southside, then goodluck.   Does anyone know that the Greenwood girls are 8 and 0 and have mercy clocked 6 out of the 8. Heck no......but we will know every Ft Smith athletes favorite foods, hobbies and accomplishments. This has been on going. One thing for sure is that Alma does get more coverage than GW because of Kevin Taylor. He does a great job in that area. Maybe the writer resides in VB. lol. Sorry to all my Ft Smith friends, I know that they deserve it, but the local coverage is horrible. Perry, Alma will get write ups next week about wins over Mulberry, Mt Burg and Cedarville and have already had a few others......Have not seen one about the team from south Sebastian county yet....like everything else, all political.
I have griped and complained about that rag for years now...look no further than the sports editor...there lies your problem...

Not necessarily Venny. Yes what and about whom is most likely determined by the sports editor. But there are other factors that are determined other ways.

Back in the day we could depend on a couple write-ups a week on our various conference teams and game write-ups on Saturday morning. A modest but fair profit was acceptable in those days and when the profit line decreased they improved the product in order to bring the profit level back up. Today company's want to make hideous hidden profits and when those profits are not meet jobs are eliminated and the quality of the product is reduced. It has just turned into an endless cycle that in turn is doomed for failure. I used to spend up to 30 minutes each day reading the sports page. I went through the same problems with them as you have. Finally I just got to disgusted I dropped my subscription a couple years ago. It had gotten so bad at the time I canceled I was just glancing at it for about a minute and then use it to wrap garbage.

I do see it on occasions now. Most days all they have is what they can pick up of the wire services. The volume of sports has decreased so much they have moved the obituaries to the sports section in order to have a 2nd section. It took a real genius to come up with the idea to move the obituaries to the sports page (sarcasm). 

WPWells

AT

Finals

Girls
Alma - 67
Springdale - 73

Boys (in OT)
Alma - 78
Springdale - 70

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: IofthaTiger on December 19, 2014, 04:31:21 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 19, 2014, 03:57:55 pm

Not necessarily Venny. Yes what and about whom is most likely determined by the sports editor. But there are other factors that are determined other ways.

Back in the day we could depend on a couple write-ups a week on our various conference teams and game write-ups on Saturday morning. A modest but fair profit was acceptable in those days and when the profit line decreased they improved the product in order to bring the profit level back up. Today company’s want to make hideous hidden profits and when those profits are not meet jobs are eliminated and the quality of the product is reduced. It has just turned into an endless cycle that in turn is doomed for failure. I used to spend up to 30 minutes each day reading the sports page. I went through the same problems with them as you have. Finally I just got to disgusted I dropped my subscription a couple years ago. It had gotten so bad at the time I canceled I was just glancing at it for about a minute and then use it to wrap garbage.

I do see it on occasions now. Most days all they have is what they can pick up of the wire services. The volume of sports has decreased so much they have moved the obituaries to the sports section in order to have a 2nd section. It took a real genius to come up with the idea to move the obituaries to the sports page (sarcasm). 

I agree with some of what you say, but I have been told point blank by the sports editor at the time (have no idea if he is still there as I have dropped that rag)...that Fort Smith buys the most subscriptions therefore they WILL take care of them first...

A-Good-One

I was going to ask: what do you have against Brian Sanderford?

AT

December 20, 2014, 12:55:46 pm #184 Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:58:58 pm by Almatrackster
I only caught the fourth quarter of the boys game last night on the online broadcast. Man, the Airedales were resilient. Austin Lee and Jake Folkerts combined for 56 of Alma's 78 points.

The last three minutes of regulation were crazy. Austin Lee really took over those last three minutes and overtime. I personally think he needs to do it more often. Braylon Parker hit two huge free throws to send the game into OT.

Hopefully the guys start being more consistent with the free throws. Our guards are quick, heck even our postman can take his guy to the basket consistently, which means they are going to get fouled quite a bit. But they have to be able to knock down all those chances from the charity stripe. No offense to the guys, just my 2 cents.

Airedale Classic is up next. I think Alma plays West Fork first? I've heard WF isn't as good as years past, but should be a solid test. Alma knows they can't take 3A opponents lightly, that's for sure.

backatyou

AT

Quote from: backatyou on December 20, 2014, 01:12:53 pm
What Other teams are in the classic?

I just know 4 of the 8 teams...Alma, West Fork, Gravette, Lavaca.

sevenof400

Quote from: SNWA on December 19, 2014, 02:32:51 pm
The arena in Alma is the most difficult place to shoot in. The lighting from on the court is horrible. Most visiting teams will not shoot a high percentage there. Typically imo that is worth at least 10 points. So you had better be at least 11 points better or you are leaving the palace with a "L".

Wait a minute...how can you forget to mention the variable wind currents throughout the arena?

I miss y'all already...

Coach Venny Slocombe

A-Good-One

ahsalum

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 21, 2014, 09:39:32 am
Quote from: SNWA on December 19, 2014, 02:32:51 pm

Wait a minute...how can you forget to mention the variable wind currents throughout the arena?

I miss y'all already...

Oh the lighting is just fine...SNWA is just pissing and moaning because they have to come here and play....and because he's gonna get a beatdown from me soon....

now the wind currents are a real thing.....i know everyone thought I was making that stuff up a couple of years ago before the Clarksville matchup.....ask Freddie Lee about the wind currents.... ask Malik Monk about them......they where swirling that day.....

people, it's like playing on the playground....you have to alter your shot according to the wind......

BigMan15

Fenner had no prolbems there...i love that gym i wish we played there more..

ahsalum

Quote from: BigMan15 on December 22, 2014, 08:55:02 am
Fenner had no prolbems there...i love that gym i wish we played there more..

We turned off the wind machine that night....we should have left it on....

SNWA

bahahaha right.....Im looking forward to our return visit to the palace.....Don't think the light nor the wind will play too much of a factor then. And you my friend keep dodging your beatdown.

ahsalum

Quote from: SNWA on December 22, 2014, 10:35:17 am
bahahaha right.....Im looking forward to our return visit to the palace.....Don't think the light nor the wind will play too much of a factor then. And you my friend keep dodging your beatdown.

Fixing to head back up north this weekend. Giving you a heads up now. Make plans.

SNWA

sevenof400

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 22, 2014, 01:37:48 pm

Fixing to head back up north this weekend. Giving you a heads up now. Make plans.

Invite from the Harrison Mom's club?

Coach Venny Slocombe

ahsalum

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 22, 2014, 03:19:15 pm
Quote from: Steve Perry on December 22, 2014, 01:37:48 pm

Invite from the Harrison Mom's club?

+1....

I do want to reconcile with them. I want to tell them I apologize for my behavior....

I want to make things right....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas