• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014. Top returning starters and new starters.

Started by AirWarren, June 15, 2014, 01:12:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

June 15, 2014, 01:12:47 pm Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:21:51 pm by AirWarren
As July is approaching, football season gets closer and closer. A couple of teams may be standing out already but who is everyone returning this year? Any up and comers going to step up? This thread is to have a good discussion about football. All the other childish BS, take it elsewhere.

I'll start with warren. I'll know more later this summer but here are the key returning starters from the state runners up as well as some new possible standouts.

2014 Warren Lumberjacks

Quarterback- Justin Gorman.  I am hesitant to call him a returning starter. But he did step into the starting position two years ago and lead the jacks to a 6-0 record. He has the ability to get the ball to the WRs but he will have to prove it on the field.
Big Loss- 4a offensive player of the year Drake Jones.

RB- Kilay Cox. Kilay enters his 4th season as a lumberjack. He rushed for 1600+ yards as a sophomore but was hampered early in the year last year with a severely sprained ankle. His back up will be Trent broughton who stepped in big for Kilay.
Big loss- none. Two returning veterans.

WR-
Darveon Brown
Jaylon Marshall
Terrez Hampton
Chris Oliver
Franklin Gilmore
Big Loss- Von Eric Gonder. The UAM commit was solid in his time as a lumberjack.
Possible new contributors: Dennis Daniels and Deyshawn Jackson.

Offensive line-
Wesley Cornish
Austin Emmanuel
ja'kyron Hines(excuse me dad if I misspelled ha)
Adam Nolan
Big loss: jhamahl Bell.
New Additions- saw several big boys on the bench last year. I do not know names at this point but this is going to be the best OL in Warren in a long time. 

Defensive line-
Aaron church
Lafoy smith
Peyton Hargis
Big Loss- Mickel Towler who was a 4 year starter.

Linebackers-
Deangelo McCoy
Calyx Harris
Trent Broughton
Big Loss- Kendrick Newton

Secondary-
Darveon Brown
Austin Herraney
Jaylon Marshall
Chris Oliver
Franklin Gilmore
Terrez Hampton
Big loss- Otis miller and Kaleel Thomas
New addition- Dennis Daniels, Deyshawn Jackson

9 Starters return on Offense.
8 Starter return on Defense.

hawgfan15

Nashville

QB- JR Leonard Snell
Snell was a starting WR and FS last year for the Scrappers. He has looked good so far at his new position and has a really strong arm. The kid is a playmaker and adds a big time running threat at the position.

RB- SOPH Darius Hopkins and JR Terrell Grundy
Hopkins is a big play waiting to happen. The Sophomore has a chance to be the best running back to ever come out of Nashville. He started at the end of the season when he was moved up from jr high. Grundy is a very physical runner with good speed. He got his share of carries last season when he returned from an early season back injury. These two will compliment each other well.

FB/TE- SR Lucas Liggin
The "S" position as we call it in Nashville will be played by Liggin. He started here for the first 3 games before being moved to QB. He is a big physical kid who catches the ball well.

WR- SR LaMichael Pettway, JR Trey Hughes,
and SR Brady Bowden/ JR Deajeon Armstrong
By this point everyone knows about Pettway. Hughes started every game last season at WR opposite of Pettway. The 6'3 junior is a downfield threat. Bowden and Armstrong will play the slot for the Scrappers. Bowden is a senior who has really developed athletically. He has grown 3 or 4 inches since the beginning of high school (6'0 now) and clocked a 4.5 40 during the spring. Armstrong is a junior who moved back to Nashville after spending his sophomore year in Colorado. He is probably the quickest kid on the team and is a big play threat with the ball in his hands.

Offensive Line-
LT- JR Troy Thomas
LG- SR Braden Hood
C- JR Winland Ogden
RG- SR Dillon Honea
RT- SOPH Kirby Adcock.
This will be the biggest offensive line the Scrappers have had in 4 or 5 years. 7 or 8 guys will rotate on the line this year and 2 of them are returning starters (Ogden and Honea).

Defensive line-
DE- Billy Stewart
NT- Dillon Honea/Winland Ogden
DE- Braden Hood
Hood and Stewart both started last season and will be the DE's in the Scrappers new 3-4 defense. Honea and Ogden have both looked good at NT and Ogden played his share of defense last season starting a few games. This will be the strength of our defense.

Linebackers-
OLB- JR Terrell Grundy
ILB- SR Lucas Liggin
ILB- JR Ashton Nelson
OLB- JR Trey Hughes/ SOPH Austin Gibbs
Nelson and Grundy are returning starters at LB and Liggin has seen some time at the position before starting at QB. This group has looked good in the new defense so far.

Secondary-
CB- SR Corey Cooper
CB- JR Deajeon Armstrong
FS- SR Brady Bowden/ SOPH Darius Hopkins
SS- SR LaMichael Pettway/ JR Leonard Snell
This group will rotate pretty often as all of them will see time on offense. Cooper, Pettway, and Snell started last season and Armstrong might be the best of the group. There are a few others who provide some depth but in big games expect this group to get the majority of the snaps.

Returning Offensive Starters- 7
Returning Defensive Starters- 8

AirWarren

Be interested to see how Liggin does on defense and on a different spot on offense. The positive thing is if Snell goes down or doesn't perform you have a viable option at backup.

hawgfan15

Quote from: AirWarren on June 15, 2014, 03:23:09 pm
Be interested to see how Liggin does on defense and on a different spot on offense. The positive thing is if Snell goes down or doesn't perform you have a viable option at backup.

I think Liggin will thrive at his new positions. He is a physical lead blocker and I think he has all conference potential 100+ tackles at LB. Yep no doubt if Snell goes down Liggin will be back at QB. The only other option at QB is a sophomore and he isn't ready yet.

Edit:
Pettway is always a QB option but we really want to leave him at WR.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgfan15 on June 15, 2014, 03:28:16 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on June 15, 2014, 03:23:09 pm

I think Liggin will thrive at his new positions. He is a physical lead blocker and I think he has all conference potential 100+ tackles at LB. Yep no doubt if Snell goes down Liggin will be back at QB. The only other option at QB is a sophomore and he isn't ready yet.

Edit:
Pettway is always a QB option but we really want to leave him at WR.

Pettway is an option.

Darveon is an option for us at quarterback as well. He played quarterback in Jr High.

Jaylon is an option too. He was doing great at quarterback as a 9th grader but went down with a broken arm.

The other options for Warren at quarterback is a sophomore who isn't ready either and the MS transfer.

hawgfan15

Never hurts to get the ball in the hands of your best athletes lol the problem for Pettway, Brown, and Marshall is that they can't throw it to theirselves lol

I understand why Bo is going with Gorman. Other than the fact that he has experience and won games, it is so you can keep both Brown and Marshall at WR to prevent either from being double teamed.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgfan15 on June 15, 2014, 03:54:20 pm
Never hurts to get the ball in the hands of your best athletes lol the problem for Pettway, Brown, and Marshall is that they can't throw it to theirselves lol

I understand why Bo is going with Gorman. Other than the fact that he has experience and won games, it is so you can keep both Brown and Marshall at WR to prevent either from being double teamed.

Gilmore is going to be the surprise standout at WR I think this year. Along with Hampton. He had great start against fayetteville.

Dennis Daniels, who is the brother of former Jacks Ricardo Kemp(UT), Chris Alford, and Raheim Alford(ASU), is the one I am looking forward to watching in the years ahead.

polksalet

I'd have liked to have seen what Liggin could have done behind this new line. That being said snell looks extremely good.

NewJack2010

Quote from: AirWarren on June 15, 2014, 01:12:47 pm
As July is approaching, football season gets closer and closer. A couple of teams may be standing out already but who is everyone returning this year? Any up and comers going to step up? This thread is to have a good discussion about football. All the other childish BS, take it elsewhere.

I'll start with warren. I'll know more later this summer but here are the key returning starters from the state runners up as well as some new possible standouts.

2014 Warren Lumberjacks

Quarterback- Justin Gorman.  I am hesitant to call him a returning starter. But he did step into the starting position two years ago and lead the jacks to a 6-0 record. He has the ability to get the ball to the WRs but he will have to prove it on the field.

RB- Kilay Cox. Kilay enters his 4th season as a lumberjack. He rushed for 1600+ yards as a sophomore but was hampered early in the year last year with a severely sprained ankle. His back up will be Trent broughton who stepped in big for Kilay.

WR-
Darveon Brown
Jaylon Marshall
Terrez Hampton
Chris Oliver
Franklin Gilmore
Big Loss- Von Eric Gonder. The UAM commit was solid in his time as a lumberjack.

Offensive line-
Wesley Cornish
Austin Emmanuel
Adam Nolan
New Additions- saw several big boys on the bench last year. I do not know names at this point but this is going to be the best OL in Warren in a long time. 

Defensive line-
Aaron church
Lafoy smith
Peyton Hargis

Linebackers-
Deangelo McCoy
Calyx Harris
Trent Broughton

Secondary-
Darveon Brown
Austin Herraney
Jaylon Marshall
Chris Oliver
Franklin Gilmore
Terrez Hampton

Actually Chris Oliver is also a big lose as he was a senior last year. He will definitely be missed in the secondary.

And let's not forget super sophomore K Kevin Cortez is also returning.

AirWarren

I thought Chris graduates. My bad.

Kevin Cortez is a weapon.

Superjack45

Quote from: NewJack2010 on June 15, 2014, 08:58:12 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on June 15, 2014, 01:12:47 pm

2014 Warren Lumberjacks

WR-
Darveon Brown
Jaylon Marshall
Terrez Hampton
Chris Oliver
Franklin Gilmore

Offensive line-
Wesley Cornish
Austin Emmanuel
Adam Nolan

Defensive line-
Aaron church
Lafoy smith
Peyton Hargis

Linebackers-
Deangelo McCoy
Calyx Harris
Trent Broughton

Secondary-
Darveon Brown
Austin Herraney
Jaylon Marshall
Chris Oliver
Franklin Gilmore
Terrez Hampton

No problem AW not are not the only one that chop his name up.

cuckoobird

AW if you would attend games you would hear or see in the program what grade someone was in. my my

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 16, 2014, 06:21:04 am
AW if you would attend games you would hear or see in the program what grade someone was in. my my
+1

rdhill

Leave the bs in another thread,I bet you sir dont know everything about ricebird football.Just tell us what you have lost and returning this year.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: rdhill on June 16, 2014, 10:29:41 am
Leave the bs in another thread,I bet you sir dont know everything about ricebird football.Just tell us what you have lost and returning this year.
drinking and fighting with the wife again?

rdhill

Quote from: Oldman on June 16, 2014, 10:35:46 am
No sir getting my notes ready for what Hamburg has returning,Air Warren asked for a thread about football not bs.

cuckoobird

June 16, 2014, 11:08:44 am #16 Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:11:29 am by cuckoobird
Then he shouldn't have posted BS and when you little men start running where and when I post, I'll let you know. btw I personally know every player on the ricebird roster but I'm not a wannabe espn announcer

rdhill

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 16, 2014, 11:08:44 am
Then he shouldn't have posted BS and when you little men start running where and when I post, I'll let you know. btw I personally know every player on the ricebird roster but I'm not a wannabe espn announcer
YOU ARE AWSOME.

cuckoobird

Quote from: rdhill on June 16, 2014, 11:20:13 am
Quote from: cuckoobird on June 16, 2014, 11:08:44 am
YOU ARE AWSOME.
I already knew that but thanks

OLDSCHOOL82

Jacketman65

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on June 16, 2014, 12:27:05 pm
This thread took a turn for the worse.
As they all will as long as we have Mr. Perfect trolling around!

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 16, 2014, 12:31:31 pm

Maybe Mr. Perfect as far as staying on topic.  He needs to work on his spelling though. 

cuckoobird

Yes, you, I mean AW shouldn't post BS if he doesn't want BS in the topic

Jacketman65

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on June 16, 2014, 12:34:43 pm

Maybe Mr. Perfect as far as staying on topic.  He needs to work on his spelling though.
I was talking about the awesome Mr. Perfect

AirWarren

LJ06

Oh awesome another thread ending in a cuck/jacketman pissy match.

whippersnapper

Newport Greyhounds

QB: Gunnar Bullard returns for his 3rd straight season at QB. Gunnar is the kind of person you want at qb. Fierce competitor,  never misses practice, and not a Johnny Football of an athlete but he does play center field and will keep defenses honest.

RB: Everyone knows his name and game Carl Turner returns after what some may say a subpar season last year but he was never 100% healthy. He probably reached about 80. Either way he has over 2700  yards rushing and is going into the season at 225 lbs. Now to replace 2 time all state athlete Kristen Crite. Lose a player like him will be tough but the hounds have 2 receivers splitting carries with Carl. The first is junior Ben Collier he brings good speed and quickNess I would give him a rough estimate of 400-500 yards of offense. The second is senior Charley Bell this is a guy that hasn't had a lot of touches the last 2 seasons,  but coach would always just call his number at the right time of the game. I really like Charley to have a great year, he looked awesome runnin the ball at tb and should get the ball 10-12 times a game as opposed to 1-3 in the past.

Wr: Losing Crite at receiver as well but also Garret Smith who had ice in his veins and Asante Shell the 6'4 jump ball guy. Will be tough to replace all 3 but the hounds can do it. Sr McCabe Cordell will take over for Smith after rotating with Shell last season. Bell and Collier will share time at a slot spot. The other slot will be tight end/hb Jordan Maybury, then the other outside guy will be Sr DeAndre Elston. I'm not sure what kind of year he will have but I know at a hog football camp Thursday he was out jumping guys and all the players were calling him Randy Moss.

OL: My favorite position group. Sr left tackle Jesse Simmons had a great camp Thursday as well and Coach Pittman only praised him. Will be 3 year starter. JR Nick Murphy returns at a guard along with Sr Center Hayden Schultz.

DL: Simmons returns at the 3 technique but Carl will be takin over at Nose beside him. Maybury looks to be at 1 end and Sr Denver Smith at the other.

LB: This group may be the best in 4a. Sr Khairan Stafford returns after an all state season and is getting looked at by the hogs and Ole miss. Right beside is Sr Colton Willis who just wrecked havoc and earned all conference honors. On the outside are Cordell and Elston is taking over at the other spot.

Db: Bell and Collier will man the corner spots and Sr Keith Worsham moves from linebacker to take over at free safety which in Newport's defense is a 5th linebacker.

Returning starters
7 on offense
7 on defense

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Dude, seriously?  Cuckoobird is the exact reason this site isn't what it used to be.  A request was made to simply talk football.  A mistake was made, corrected and the conversation had moved on.  Your snark comment added nothing to the topic, just a chance for you to throw a needless jab.

Seriously, dude, get over yourself.  Please.  People with your mindset and egos are killing this board.  Do everyone a favor, read more, post less.  Your constant thread hijacking isn't helping you or the Stuttgart fan base.  It gets old, it's annoying and it shows your stupidity more often than not.

Mercy.  Rant over.  Moving on.

--Kyle

hawgfan15

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on June 16, 2014, 02:15:23 pm
Dude, seriously?  Cuckoobird is the exact reason this site isn't what it used to be.  A request was made to simply talk football.  A mistake was made, corrected and the conversation had moved on.  Your snark comment added nothing to the topic, just a chance for you to throw a needless jab.

Seriously, dude, get over yourself.  Please.  People with your mindset and egos are killing this board.  Do everyone a favor, read more, post less.  Your constant thread hijacking isn't helping you or the Stuttgart fan base.  It gets old, it's annoying and it shows your stupidity more often than not.

--Kyle

+1

Jack1990

--Kyle
Ahh..Good old Flappy speaks the truth!  Always words of wisdom when he shows up!

cuckoobird

--Kyle
Yet you had to reply and say this. POT KETTLE my friend. BTW How is it hurting me or the ricebird fan base?

cuckoobird

Quote from: Jack1990 on June 16, 2014, 02:35:45 pm

--Kyle
Ahh..Good old Flappy speaks the truth!  Always words of wisdom when he shows up!
another BS post. Let's see that's 14 of ya'lls bs post to 5 of mine. You're winning

Eddie Goodson

If you are not going to take part in the discussion, I would suggest you read only. Unless you want me to make it that way for a while for you.

Jack1990

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on June 16, 2014, 02:42:29 pm
If you are not going to take part in the discussion, I would suggest you read only. Unless you want me to make it that way for a while for you.
+1

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on June 16, 2014, 02:42:29 pm

Thank you.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on June 15, 2014, 04:09:27 pm

Gilmore is going to be the surprise standout at WR I think this year. Along with Hampton. He had great start against fayetteville.

Dennis Daniels, who is the brother of former Jacks Ricardo Kemp(UT), Chris Alford, and Raheim Alford(ASU), is the one I am looking forward to watching in the years ahead.

I'm not sure if Lassiter played defense in Junior High last year, but I think he could potentially fill a role at safety similar to Justin Hall.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: rdhill on June 16, 2014, 10:44:17 am
Quote from: Oldman on June 16, 2014, 10:35:46 am
No sir getting my notes ready for what Hamburg has returning,Air Warren asked for a thread about football not bs.
good deal

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 16, 2014, 02:37:51 pm

--Kyle
Yet you had to reply and say this. POT KETTLE my friend. BTW How is it hurting me or the ricebird fan base?

I said it because someone had to.  This constant thread hi-jacking is exhausting.  I get on this website to read about football topics, not catfights over the internet.

You can also call me whatever you'd like to.  Believe me, I'm not going to get bent out of shape by a message board troll.

This website used to be about talking football.  I know there is the occasional rib jabbing that goes on and that's great, it's to be expected.  But when you have posters that follow posters around a message board just to post needless garbage, then something has to be said.  Stuff like what you're doing takes away from the great teams and fan bases we have represented on this board.

Also, your antics are hurting you because no one takes you seriously.  I'm sure you do know an awful lot about the Ricebird program, but when you post mess like this and get into arguing matches with every other poster no one takes you seriously when you do try to offer something meaningful to the conversation.  You're viewed as an annoying message board troll. 

It affects the Stuttgart fan base because other posters associate them with your nonsense.  Believe me, Warren has had a few bad apples in the past too.  It only hurts the over-all fan base when there's one, loud mouth in the bunch causing a stir with everyone. 

In simple terms, unless you're a high school kid, there is absolutely no reason for you to get on here and try to start arguments or get into message board fights over PMs or other ridiculous stuff.  Be an adult, talk about the Stuttgart Ricebird football team or get out of here.  Everyone is tired of your constant negativity and childishness. 

--Kyle

Eddie, I'm done with this dude.  All other posts from me will be on topic.  Thanks!

Jack1990

Quote from: Romeo on June 16, 2014, 02:53:17 pm

I'm not sure if Lassiter played defense in Junior High last year, but I think he could potentially fill a role at safety similar to Justin Hall.
I'm not real sure exactly where Lassiter will fit in.  His height will be a hinderance at QB, not sure his size will work out in the secondary either. 

cuckoobird

Quote from: Jack1990 on June 16, 2014, 02:59:33 pm

I'm not real sure exactly where Lassiter will fit in.  His height will be a hinderance at QB, not sure his size will work out in the secondary either.
How tall is he?

LJ06

His size alone hinders his ability at QB. Tiny guy

Jack1990

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 16, 2014, 03:03:34 pm

How tall is he?
Don't have his stats, but I'm about 5'7 and he's shorter than me. 

cuckoobird

Quote from: Jack1990 on June 16, 2014, 03:12:53 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on June 16, 2014, 03:03:34 pm

How tall is he?
Don't have his stats, but I'm about 5'7 and he's shorter than me.
maybe he can be a shorter version of doug flutie

AirWarren

Quote from: whippersnapper on June 16, 2014, 01:54:41 pm
Newport Greyhounds

QB: Gunnar Bullard returns for his 3rd straight season at QB. Gunnar is the kind of person you want at qb. Fierce competitor,  never misses practice, and not a Johnny Football of an athlete but he does play center field and will keep defenses honest.

RB: Everyone knows his name and game Carl Turner returns after what some may say a subpar season last year but he was never 100% healthy. He probably reached about 80. Either way he has over 2700  yards rushing and is going into the season at 225 lbs. Now to replace 2 time all state athlete Kristen Crite. Lose a player like him will be tough but the hounds have 2 receivers splitting carries with Carl. The first is junior Ben Collier he brings good speed and quickNess I would give him a rough estimate of 400-500 yards of offense. The second is senior Charley Bell this is a guy that hasn't had a lot of touches the last 2 seasons,  but coach would always just call his number at the right time of the game. I really like Charley to have a great year, he looked awesome runnin the ball at tb and should get the ball 10-12 times a game as opposed to 1-3 in the past.

Wr: Losing Crite at receiver as well but also Garret Smith who had ice in his veins and Asante Shell the 6'4 jump ball guy. Will be tough to replace all 3 but the hounds can do it. Sr McCabe Cordell will take over for Smith after rotating with Shell last season. Bell and Collier will share time at a slot spot. The other slot will be tight end/hb Jordan Maybury, then the other outside guy will be Sr DeAndre Elston. I'm not sure what kind of year he will have but I know at a hog football camp Thursday he was out jumping guys and all the players were calling him Randy Moss.

OL: My favorite position group. Sr left tackle Jesse Simmons had a great camp Thursday as well and Coach Pittman only praised him. Will be 3 year starter. JR Nick Murphy returns at a guard along with Sr Center Hayden Schultz.

DL: Simmons returns at the 3 technique but Carl will be takin over at Nose beside him. Maybury looks to be at 1 end and Sr Denver Smith at the other.

LB: This group may be the best in 4a. Sr Khairan Stafford returns after an all state season and is getting looked at by the hogs and Ole miss. Right beside is Sr Colton Willis who just wrecked havoc and earned all conference honors. On the outside are Cordell and Elston is taking over at the other spot.

Db: Bell and Collier will man the corner spots and Sr Keith Worsham moves from linebacker to take over at free safety which in Newport's defense is a 5th linebacker.

Returning starters
7 on offense
7 on defense

Does Turner play defense?

AirWarren

Get him to grow a bit and the kid will be good. Great athlete.

CounterPunch

I'll make mine simple.

Star City
9-10 Offensive returning starters
9-10 Defensive returning starters

AirWarren

Kyle, care to elaborate on a particular team?

Eddie Goodson

I also remind everyone the ignore poster option is on your profile page. If there is someone you do not want to read, you can take care of it.

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on June 16, 2014, 03:44:59 pm
I also remind everyone the ignore poster option is on your profile page. If there is someone you do not want to read, you can take care of it.

Works beautifully too. Send me a burger my way Eddie! Ha

AirWarren

Quote from: CounterPunch on June 16, 2014, 03:39:50 pm
I'll make mine simple.

Star City
9-10 Offensive returning starters
9-10 Defensive returning starters

Come on. Quit doing OT. Name drop. Be better than hootens.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas