• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shiloh taking applications

Started by arthurhawgerelli, May 29, 2014, 01:10:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurhawgerelli

I personally am very proud for Coach Floyd.  It will be interesting in the NWA for the next few weeks.

http://www.shilohsaints.org/blog/athletics-press-release/

SUGARTOWN

Per Twitter:
"@DannyWest1: Now released: Shiloh Christian head coach @joshfloydsc is leaving for Hewitt-Trussville in Alabama. It's a 7A job."

SUGARTOWN

Beat me by a minute, lol. You can merge these threads if you need too.

AirWarren

Wow.

Will Papa Ronnie be joining him?

SUGARTOWN

I wonder if 'ol Gus Malzahn helped him out with that job?

AirWarren

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2014, 01:22:50 pm

Interesting point. I am sure he did. Lots of AUBBIE boosters in that area of Alabama. Plenty of $.

AirWarren

Could have seen the writing on the wall too. The little "transfer" rule to privates put a hamper on his "winning".

TIGER101

Quote from: AirWarren on May 29, 2014, 01:30:50 pm
Could have seen the writing on the wall too. The little "transfer" rule to privates put a hamper on his "winning".

You took the words right out of my mouth.  To hard to win with normal talent.

DerekOxford

They've had three coaches in the last 20 years.

One is coaching the defending SEC champion, another has a state championship at a 7A school in the same town, and the other is now heading to a 7A school in Alabama.

Lot of expectations to live up to, whoever gets it. I'd assume they promote an assistant, but who knows.

LJ06

Big shoes to fill for the Saints. Floyd was a great HC for them. He will do well in Alabama.

beach bum

GHS_08

Quote from: AirWarren on May 29, 2014, 01:23:44 pm
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 29, 2014, 01:22:50 pm

Interesting point. I am sure he did. Lots of AUBBIE boosters in that area of Alabama. Plenty of $.

They just finished building a 16 million dollar, 8,000 seat stadium.

Uncle Ivan

AirWarren

OldScrap

Quote from: AirWarren on May 29, 2014, 01:20:29 pm
Wow.

Will Papa Ronnie be joining him?

I highly doubt it, he is hoping to be elected to the position of president of the Southern Baptist Convention in just a very short time, so far there's 3 candidates that I know of, one from a small church of about 60 something members, one from a mega-church in the Northeast.

Razorback Red

I was just reading on Hogville about whether Shiloh is a top 10 job in the state.  Not a huge school, but plenty of financial support from parents make it a pretty good gig.

Just for grins, here is my attempt at naming the HS head coaching jobs in AR that are clearly better than Shiloh:

Bentonville, Fayetteville, NLR, Harber, Conway, Cabot, SS, GW, ED and PB.  That would put Shiloh just outside the top 10 in my opinion, ahead of any school 5A or less in the state. 

AirWarren

HorseFeathers

Are you talking money or just prestige/traditional powerhouses?

Brian G

Booneville is a better gig.  It jist doesn't have the dantiness.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: B.G. on May 30, 2014, 08:24:35 am

Are you saying we are just a bunch of poor ole country folk in Booneville?

Just making sure cause we pretty much are. 

TIGER101

Lincoln would more appealing to me.  Shiloh will never be the Shiloh of the past..  NEVER

Lions84

Quote from: TIGER101 on May 29, 2014, 01:34:16 pm

Yep USC took it on the chin and he cutting and running for BAMA!

Big Fan

Quote from: TIGER101 on May 30, 2014, 09:26:05 am
Lincoln would more appealing to me.  Shiloh will never be the Shiloh of the past..  NEVER
Unless they start taking applications for players. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lions84 on May 30, 2014, 10:09:37 am
Quote from: TIGER101 on May 29, 2014, 01:34:16 pm

Yep USC took it on the chin and he cutting and running for BAMA!
running to a 7a school for a 6 figure salary? he will be coaching at auburn soon.

AirWarren

Brian G

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on May 30, 2014, 08:32:25 am
Quote from: B.G. on May 30, 2014, 08:24:35 am

Are you saying we are just a bunch of poor ole country folk in Booneville?

Just making sure cause we pretty much are.
Born there.  Moved when I was 1 to Fayetteville.  Still havelots of  kin there and my dad has retired back to there. 

So yeah..

Razorback Red

Quote from: HF on May 29, 2014, 10:45:33 pm

To clarify, I am simply talking about the attractiveness of the Shiloh job in comparison to other jobs (not overall programs).  I am not a Shiloh fan, but I do believe it is a better coaching job than many larger schools due to the talent pool it has to pull from and the potential to use the job as a launching pad to bigger, better jobs and the fact that a private school can pay more.  It is within 20 miles of 6 (soon to be 7) of the largest 7A schools in the state.  It is situated in the center of the best job market in the state.  Just look at the success of the last 3 coaches: 1 is one of the highest paid college coaches in the land, 1 is at a premier 7A school in AR in which he's won a state title and 1 just got promoted to a large 7A school in AL and will more than likely be on an SEC staff in the next 5 years. 

All of the programs mentioned are fantastic (Booneville, Warren, Nashville, Charleston), but I don't believe they have the same potential for launching a coaching career as Shiloh.   

sevenof400

Quote from: Razorback Red on May 30, 2014, 06:10:25 pm
To clarify, I am simply talking about the attractiveness of the Shiloh job in comparison to other jobs (not overall programs).  I am not a Shiloh fan, but I do believe it is a better coaching job than many larger schools due to the talent pool it has to pull from and the potential to use the job as a launching pad to bigger, better jobs and the fact that a private school can pay more.  It is within 20 miles of 6 (soon to be 7) of the largest 7A schools in the state.  It is situated in the center of the best job market in the state.  Just look at the success of the last 3 coaches: 1 is one of the highest paid college coaches in the land, 1 is at a premier 7A school in AR in which he's won a state title and 1 just got promoted to a large 7A school in AL and will more than likely be on an SEC staff in the next 5 years. 

All of the programs mentioned are fantastic (Booneville, Warren, Nashville, Charleston), but I don't believe they have the same potential for launching a coaching career as Shiloh.

This is a high school you're talking about ... or at least is supposed to be. 
Something is very rotten in.......Shiloh land...

TIGER101

May 30, 2014, 10:22:41 pm #28 Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:26:53 pm by TIGER101
Quote from: Razorback Red on May 30, 2014, 06:10:25 pm
Quote from: HF on May 29, 2014, 10:45:33 pm

Yes you are correct.........   Except,  you are only talking pre-free recruiting.   Since the Frazier era has left it's nothing more than mediocre.   You have to get past that it's nothing more than an average 4a school that will have small numbers and talent without the ability to recruit.

John L. Smith could have won calling plays for that group and we've seen how good he is!!

HorseFeathers

Charleston just lost a coach 2 years ago to a now entering 6A Alma...I mean it's not neccesarily that All-World job...but that's a bit of a step up. Nashville you either win and are made a god in the town, or you get ran out of town. Warren...How long has Hembree been there now? 15 years? Booneville I think has had 2 coaches in my entire life lol...Rippy? and Hyatt...

AirWarren

Bo has been at Warren since 1998 as an assistant I believe.

Took the head coach job in 2000. Singly handily turned Warren into a household name in Arkansas High school football.

coachsearch

Who are the names up for this one?

TIGER101

Texas

Yep. I definitely think a move to Alabama is by design. Gus is know for hiring HS coaches to be assistants, so I think Floyd has his eye on getting a gig with Auburn.

DJ asked him that question and he didn't exactly deny it.

Post #4: http://nationalhsfootball.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1042&hl=

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Razorback Red on May 29, 2014, 09:23:03 pm
ahead of any school 5A or less in the state. 

There are better 5A jobs.

phdefense

Quote from: Texas on May 31, 2014, 10:52:49 am
Yep. I definitely think a move to Alabama is by design. Gus is know for hiring HS coaches to be assistants, so I think Floyd has his eye on getting a gig with Auburn.

It's more likely that Gus is positioning Joshy for a recruitment pipeline.

TIGER101

I can't say I blame him for leaving.  He can see that Shiloh has no future, but he better not forget where Springdale is because he will be calling poppy back in a couple years to get his job back.  You take away those few years when Shiloh recruited some of the best players in the state, they have been one of softest defenses in the country.  I don't imagine they spend much time on defense.  Hewitt will have to score 60 points a game to even compete. 

spacesorlaces

In two years, he will be on staff at Auburn.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: spacesorlaces on June 01, 2014, 06:23:09 pm
In two years, he will be on staff at Auburn.

Which is a good thing - it would weaken the quality of whatever position he'd coach.

AirWarren

Texas

Quote from: phdefense on May 31, 2014, 07:46:03 pm

Works both ways. What incentive does Josh have to help Gus out? Josh may help with that for now, but eventually will expect to be hooked up. Why else leave your hometown gig for Alabama?

phdefense

Quote from: Texas on June 01, 2014, 11:53:31 pm
Quote from: phdefense on May 31, 2014, 07:46:03 pm

Works both ways. What incentive does Josh have to help Gus out? Josh may help with that for now, but eventually will expect to be hooked up. Why else leave your hometown gig for Alabama?
In short, even though Shiloh is by name a "Christian" school. The football program and those involved worship at the shrine of Malzahn.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: phdefense on June 02, 2014, 01:00:41 am
The football program and those involved worship at the shrine of Malzahn.

A cult, in other words.

spacesorlaces

Geez this thread is quiet! Any rumors on any leading candidates?

Brian G

Search is a bit slow.  The 'requirements' to teach an coach there are not the normal ones.

Generally they make you go to church there and tithe substantially from your salary.  Right off the bat you are eliminating some candidates.

Big Fan

Quote from: B.G. on June 04, 2014, 09:31:41 pm
Generally they make you go to church there and tithe substantially from your salary. 
It's really not a tithe if it's mandatory....more like a tax.

Brian G

I do think they are trying very hard to make a splash with this hiring.  They are not as relevant and do not draw the kids like they did.  One way to "correct" that is to get a big name.

Uncle Ivan

Big Fan

Quote from: B.G. on June 04, 2014, 09:54:18 pm
and do not draw the kids like they did.
Do you think that has anything to do with the Springdale split and now 22 to 30 additional kids are getting meaningful playing time each year at a public school?  So they choose to stay at a public school. 

Brian G

I think it's a combination of a lot of things.  The AAA transfer rule, the litany of money being spent at many schools in NWA(even smaller ones) and the fact they probably got lucky for a bit.

But yeah, splits in the larger districts probably didn't help.  Many of their gains came from schools that they competed against.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas