• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport Installing Turf

Started by prisonhound, February 27, 2014, 08:55:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

prisonhound

Newport will be installing turf and new bleachers, scoreboard, sound system etc. Will be ready for 2014 season. Go Hounds.

Dayton Kitchens

I always thought the field and supporting facilities were pretty nice myself.   

whippersnapper

Would like to add that they are trying to break ground Monday with a sod cutter for people that want their piece of Legendary Greyhound Field. I'll see if later tonight if I can upload a picture of what the field will look like.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: prisonhound on February 27, 2014, 08:55:19 am
Newport will be installing turf and new bleachers, scoreboard, sound system etc. Will be ready for 2014 season. Go Hounds.

Are they replacing the 1940's bleachers on the visiting side as well?

prisonhound

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on February 27, 2014, 09:48:25 am

I don't think we are.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: prisonhound on February 27, 2014, 09:53:21 am
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on February 27, 2014, 09:48:25 am

I don't think we are.

Bummer. I am happy that you're getting a new scoreboard though, some of the numbers were kind of hard to read on your previous one.

whippersnapper

Also with the new home bleachers they will have 500 stadium seats for reserved seating.

Hoghead

Nice !  The tree lined end zone on one end will look even nicer with turf. You guys are going with GREEN Turf right ? None of this wacky Orange & Black turf every 5 yards stuff ! Plus put a big GREYHOUND RUNNING THROUGH A BLOCK "N" at midfield !

whippersnapper

Yes the turf is green haha. But actually from my understanding the trees have to be cut down. Turf companies will give you lifetime warranty but they are not going to agree to replacing turf every 5 years when a root starts to go through the turf.

prisonhound

Quote from: whippersnapper on February 27, 2014, 02:26:11 pm
Yes the turf is green haha. But actually from my understanding the trees have to be cut down. Turf companies will give you lifetime warranty but they are not going to agree to replacing turf every 5 years when a root starts to go through the turf.

That is correct. The trees have to go. But I do not think there is a lifetime warranty.

cuckoobird

Quote from: whippersnapper on February 27, 2014, 09:44:49 am
Would like to add that they are trying to break ground Monday with a sod cutter for people that want their piece of Legendary Greyhound Field. I'll see if later tonight if I can upload a picture of what the field will look like.
I want that piece of goal line that the Stuttgart qb crossed last year but the officials claimed otherwise.

loyal fan

DogsWin7

I happen to see a picture on Facebook of what it will look like.  It's nice!

TBone70

Aw man, trees coming down. Loved that look. "Old school"

Rulesman

Quote from: TBone70 on February 28, 2014, 03:25:25 pm
That, and shuffling through the sycamore leaves.

prisonhound

They started taking down the bleachers today.

Jacketman65

Hate to see the trees go, that was pretty unique!  However, we must forward and glad for your new turf.

whippersnapper

Just saw on Facebook field was getting tour up today. Had a few pictures of mena cutting the sod

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: prisonhound on February 27, 2014, 05:00:30 pm

That is correct. The trees have to go. But I do not think there is a lifetime warranty.

Did the school board have to approve all of this?

LakeRat

Congrats to Newport!!

Y'all were due for an upgrade. I hope they widen the field placement with deeper sidelines on both sides.

I believe the turf warranties run 7 or 8 years only. Heber's turf was replaced under warranty last year due to manufacturing flaws.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: LakeRat on March 04, 2014, 07:44:23 am
Congrats to Newport!!

Y'all were due for an upgrade. I hope they widen the field placement with deeper sidelines on both sides.

I believe the turf warranties run 7 or 8 years only. Heber's turf was replaced under warranty last year due to manufacturing flaws.

That would be great, but they'll have to move back the home bleachers since they're not replacing the antiquated visiting side.

prisonhound

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 02, 2014, 05:58:57 am
Quote from: prisonhound on February 27, 2014, 05:00:30 pm

Yes. The school board approved it.

Did the school board have to approve all of this?

prisonhound

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 04, 2014, 10:33:06 am
Quote from: LakeRat on March 04, 2014, 07:44:23 am
Congrats to Newport!!

That would be great, but they'll have to move back the home bleachers since they're not replacing the antiquated visiting side.

The original was for the home bleachers to be moved back, however I believe that has changed. I haven't talked to anyone since the ice hit. However plans wil be fluid as we get into the process.

whippersnapper

I cant figure out how to put a pic of the field guys. sorry

Adjudicator

Quote from: Rulesman on February 28, 2014, 03:31:39 pm
Quote from: TBone70 on February 28, 2014, 03:25:25 pm
That, and shuffling through the sycamore leaves.

I can remember sitting in that tree covered EZ one year drinking beer and watching Rulesman and his entourage do a playoff game!  Good times!!

itdontcare

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 01, 2014, 04:40:43 pm
Just saw on Facebook field was getting tour up today. Had a few pictures of mena cutting the sod
whip... you are pretty good with your information on fearlessfriday.. Would you have info on the cost of putting the turf down and how they are paying for it?

whippersnapper

Not sure, I can find out easy though. Ball park range of 600,000-1 Million. A lot of times teams that get turf try and find as many local businesses to do as much ground work for them to help save money. I know that's what mena did at least.

whippersnapper

Just got a number for the turf. Looking to be 530K

itdontcare

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 06, 2014, 09:20:28 am
Just got a number for the turf. Looking to be 530K
Iam told that Batesville and Batesville Southside both had big donations from the locals to pay for the turf. Southside actually has ads on the turf for sale. Did Newport have a donor or was the school system just setting on a half of million dollars ?  I am happy for the hounds..just curious about the opportunities for schools to put turf down.

whippersnapper

I'm sure they have a few major donors. But I don't know who. I know the turf and new home stands isn't all that's being done for Newport Schools. They also got new stadium seating on the home side bleachers for basketball/volleyball. They also have plans to replace the court. A lot of great things happening in Greyhound Country over the next 2-3 years! GO Hounds!!!!

prisonhound

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 06, 2014, 11:04:00 am
I'm sure they have a few major donors. But I don't know who. I know the turf and new home stands isn't all that's being done for Newport Schools. They also got new stadium seating on the home side bleachers for basketball/volleyball. They also have plans to replace the court. A lot of great things happening in Greyhound Country over the next 2-3 years! GO Hounds!!!!

The only major donation being sought is for the new scoreboard. We put new stadium system seating in the gym on the visitors side as well. We have made other major improvements with the auditorium; school cafeteria; and our Tech Science building will see some major improvements. We have hired a food consulting company for our food service and our kids are loving the new school lunches. Great things are happening at NHS.

Razorhummer

It would be nice if Greyhound Field can get a big screen along with the scoreboard like Batesville has and also some fireworks when they run out and when they score every time. ;D

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Razorhummer on March 12, 2014, 08:51:34 am
It would be nice if Greyhound Field can get a big screen along with the scoreboard like Batesville has and also some fireworks when they run out and when they score every time. ;D

Just no checkerboard endzones.  Those things are atrocious.

whippersnapper

No checkered I promise haha. I'll try to describe it some. At the 50 they have the classic orange running greyhound with a black background ovalish shape to it. Then the end zones are all black. Then they have 6 orange diamonds with each one having a letter spelling out Hounds. Both are the same. Then I'm not sure if they are having orange lines for the redzone or not. But someone mentinoned moving the field? Well they are...closer to the away side. They measured and the visitors actually have 4 more feet on their sideline then the home team. So the turf guys told coach of he wanted to save a few thousand dollars even the sidelines up.

Jack1990

How about some pictures Whip?

whippersnapper

I have tried to do it but I can't figure out how to do it. I k ow the Newport school Facebook page has it. Or if any suggestions on how to do a picture

cuckoobird

To post pics on FF use photobucket. Download your pics to it then copy the image url to FF

whippersnapper

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 12, 2014, 12:58:44 pm
No checkered I promise haha. I'll try to describe it some. At the 50 they have the classic orange running greyhound with a black background ovalish shape to it. Then the end zones are all black. Then they have 6 orange diamonds with each one having a letter spelling out Hounds. Both are the same. Then I'm not sure if they are having orange lines for the redzone or not. But someone mentinoned moving the field? Well they are...closer to the away side. They measured and the visitors actually have 4 more feet on their sideline then the home team. So the turf guys told coach of he wanted to save a few thousand dollars even the sidelines up.

If they're adding new home bleachers why couldn't they just move them back about 10 feet then adjust the field to give both teams more room on the sideline?

whippersnapper

I'm not sure I did wonder the same thing that maybe that would just back up 5 yards or so. But it may have to do with Keedy building being literally right there almost on the field.

DogsWin7

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 12, 2014, 02:14:05 pm
To post pics on FF use photobucket. Download your pics to it then copy the image url to FF

Is that all?   Go Postal had tried to tell me how to do this before.  Doesn't that allow other people access to the photos you use though?   I think you have to have an acct too. 

cuckoobird

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 13, 2014, 11:45:03 am

Is that all?   Go Postal had tried to tell me how to do this before.  Doesn't that allow other people access to the photos you use though?   I think you have to have an acct too.
its a free acct and the only ones I have in mine are ones Ive posted to FF. I don't know if it gives access or not but I don't think it does. Don't copy the link, copy the image itself

DogsWin7

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 13, 2014, 11:49:05 am

its a free acct and the only ones I have in mine are ones Ive posted to FF. I don't know if it gives access or not but I don't think it does. Don't copy the link, copy the image itself

I may have to try it!  Thanks!  But to be honest... I'm not computer literate though!  Lol!!  :)   Not one word bird!  :)

cuckoobird

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 13, 2014, 11:53:56 am
Quote from: cuckoobird on March 13, 2014, 11:49:05 am

I may have to try it!  Thanks!  But to be honest... I'm not computer literate though!  Lol!!  :)   Not one word bird!  :)
;D I would never say you shouldn't be computer literate because you belong in the kitchen making me a sandwich. Not me ever.........

DogsWin7

Shhhhh......

Don't tell....but I make a really good sandwich... ;) lol!! 

Lions84

Good for the Hounds.

Hoghead

whippersnapper

I couldn't get the pictures to work sorry. :/

Jacketman65

Come on Whipper, we want to see it!  Is it really true? :)

whippersnapper

Someone will be on their way to the rescue in the next few days to upload some pics.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas