• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What DO YOU THINK ABOUT A OVER ALL BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT?

Started by rosewells71, January 25, 2006, 02:25:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rosewells71

What do you all think about a over-all basketball tournament that includes all division champions?

hogsrule44

rosewells71

It may not ever happen but when you have schools and fans that say that they are the best football team or best basketball team of a certain year there is only one way to prove this.  I don't think that because some schools are bigger schools that they have a better team than schools that are smaller.  So to put everyone at rest have a over all tournament and that would be that.

MikeDieselâ„¢

Watched it one year.  The way it's set up now, at least the best A school doesn't have to get flat out blown out in their last game of the season most years.

Except every once in a while, the smallest division schools won't come within 20 points of the largest division schools. 

Hey, you just won the Class A State Championship.  Here's your reward:  Go get blown out by quicker, faster, bigger, stronger, deeper than you.  It's a lot of fun to see the chance for an upset, it just ain't gonna be possible very often.  There have been some state championship matchups that I would have liked to have seen though

EPC/PA v. West Memphis comes to mind.

Missco

It will not happen in the near future. With consolidation and the elimination of schools under 500 K-12. Somewhere along the way the overall tourney might be restarted. Most AA and AAA schools can compete with the big boys. It was always the Class A schools that couldn't compete.

ASU Rugby

That EPC team with Marcus Monk and PJ Lacy could have competed with anybody in the state. By the way, what ever happened to Lacy?

chickasaw

That EPC team would have competed with every team in the state except West Memphis. Lead by Sonny Weems, Fayson, Mangum. Other than Mangum there were all over 6'4. It might have been close at first, but WM would have punished

hoopstar

You will never see the overall again...I mean we are going to seven classifications so everyone can have a shot at a title...it is a great conversation piece to talk about who would have won what, but the higher classification would win 95% of the titles...if you really wanted to have competition, put all the teams in one tournament like it used to be in Indiana, and see who makes it to the top...don't crown a team champions then have them end their season on a loss....

herws

Quote from: ASU Football Fan on January 26, 2006, 09:20:06 pm
That EPC team with Marcus Monk and PJ Lacy could have competed with anybody in the state. By the way, what ever happened to Lacy?
Last I heard he quit at Murray, went back home to start a rap career and possibly join AND 1. He would be a good Divsion 2 guard, he was one of the most overrated players in East Ark history. The guy had D2 talent but when kids get on the mailing lists from D1 schools I guess they get in their head they are good. Everybody else hyped him to. Plus when you play with Monk its gonna make you look good.  PJ just wasting a career if he isn't pursuing playing in college and he will end up in Lepanto and talk about what he used to do in high school and think somebody owes him something.

jbell96

Quote from: ASU Football Fan on January 26, 2006, 09:20:06 pm

Like Chickasaw said, EPC would've gotten rolled by West Memphis. That team was outstanding.

heathwaldrop

rosewells might know the answer to this if none of the others active in this thread know, but didn't Parkdale either defeat, or come close to defeating (something like a one- or two-point loss), that 1981 West Memphis team considered to be the best Arkansas high-school team of all time? The team that had six Division I players on it?

Parkdale actually was a Class B school...the smallest schools were Class B then. Parkdale never was big enough to play Class A. But a lot of people will tell you know that Parkdale always had the best high-school teams that they ever saw play.

herws

Yes they did get beat by that WM team. Ebbs was the coach I think.

jbell96

Quote from: herws on January 27, 2006, 06:56:28 pm
Yes they did get beat by that WM team. Ebbs was the coach I think.

Ebbs was the coach the year before they played WM in the overall tournament. He was coaching college somewhere.

HoopDreams

Ebbs won the overall with Parkdale. I am not sure who they beat or what year it was but I do know for certain that he took a "B" school and won the overall state championship with them.

rosewells71

You are correct parkdale did win and it was a very small school.  The other thing is you take schools like Waldo who usually had great teams every year.  I think about a year or two they were destroying teams they played when they played them in that Akla tournament over around El Dorado.  I don't know if they are a B or A school but they are small.  See you take schools like Pulaski Academy who is a good team and let them play teams like Marion, or W Memphis to see just who is better.  I don't think that a schools size really have anything to do with the ability to compete.  It is all about the coaching ability of the coach and the talent that he is blessed with that particular year.  And I have seen coaches work with almost nothing and bring good teams down.  You take Crossett for instance they have a great team with guys who really want to play but their team is being out coached night after night.  Take tonight for instance they lost against a really good White Hall team and it should have never happened.

heathwaldrop

Waldo is a Class A school that won't be in existence after this year. It's being consolidated and I'm guessing that the students are going to go to Magnolia High School. That's going to make Magnolia an instant basketball power again.

ddogmouth

in the 80's there were a few lower classes that won the overalls but not many. if i recall, the ones that did win were exceptionally great. at one time i wanted to see the overalls back, but not anymore!!!

last years BIC Mustangs boys would contend & they are AA.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas