• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A State Championship GREENWOOD VS BENTON

Started by Brian G, November 24, 2018, 11:24:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

I think GW wins and I want GW to win
32 (41%)
I think GW wins but I want Benton
32 (41%)
I think Benton wins and I want Benton
12 (15.4%)
I think Benton but I want GW to win
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: November 30, 2018, 11:26:01 am

Brian G

November 24, 2018, 11:24:46 am Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:29:47 am by B.G.
Greenwood vs Benton

RyanLR

If Bryant and Benton both win championships Saline County might have a meltdown.

amehr36

This thread is as boring as the game will be. Gwood by 24.

PA Dad

GW is the cream of the crop in 6A.  GW wins easily.

Pr8hd

November 24, 2018, 06:25:05 pm #4 Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:11:11 pm by Pr8hd
It's always harder to beat a team the second go around especially with a title on the line...even for GW.  History shows us that.

2005 GW walloped Morillton under Chris Hill in the regular season and won a hard fought contest for the title game. 2007 GW got manhandled by Dyer and LRCA in the regular season in Tyler Wilson's senior year. Then, proceeds to control the title game and win the first of their two 3-peats that year over the same LRCA squad. In 2016, GW wins a closer than expected game at the end against Russellville. Yet, drops the title game to Russellville in a monsoon despite being heavily favored. So, all bets are off IMO. GW should be favored, but not sure how easy it will be or how much the spread will be. It doesn't matter as long as when the final horn sounds, they get 1 more than Benton.

GW is going to be the only team to send a visitor from a distance to the Rock in the first 3 class title games. The rest are all LR area teams basically.       

PA Dad

GW is going to be the only team to send a visitor from a distance to the title games in the first 3 class title games. The rest all LR area teams basically.     
[/quote]

I hadn't noticed that but it's true.  It's good to see central Arkansas going well in football.  It has been down for a while.

The Future

Interesting stat about that 2007 title game.

Tyler Wilson had more rushing yards than Michael Dyer

Brian G

You only have to go back 2 years to find a case where GW beat someone in the regular season but lost to them in the Championship.  Not saying that's the case here, but it can.

amehr36

Pr8hd

Quote from: PA Dad on November 24, 2018, 06:31:16 pm

I hadn't noticed that but it's true.  It's good to see central Arkansas going well in football.  It has been down for a while.

4A and 3A have a chance to get some teams from the same area more or less as GW.... Shiloh and Booneville (the old Battle of Hwy 10 rival).  No, NWA rep from the top classification. This would certainly seem to indicate the balance of power has shifted- at least this year especially at the top.

GW can bring the whole town basically and still be under-represented compared to what I would expect would be a big Benton bipartisan contingent. 

Pr8hd

Quote from: PA Dad on November 24, 2018, 06:31:16 pm

One other anomaly worth mentioning, all 3 title games feature rematches from regular season match-ups. 

Brian G

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 24, 2018, 08:21:27 pm
One other anomaly worth mentioning, all 3 title games feature rematches from regular season match-ups. 
That's worth noting but in 7A it happens a lot.  Just happens to be the Central.

6A not as much as 7A.

5A less due to the fact their are more conferences.

Pr8hd

Quote from: amehr36 on November 24, 2018, 07:47:44 pm
Just trying to liven it up a bit.

Not tons of Benton posters, not like there was few years back it seems when there were more until they got derailed in the semi's. Badger is the only one I recall much of since then.  He gets his shot at revenge, since he felt like CRJ/GW ran it up on them to some degree. Benton is a very good team, as happy as I am it's an all West team, I had stated I would rather have seen WM because of the team they have and the whole beating the same team twice thing.

Benton will have revenge on their minds, the chip on their shoulder to get past a sub par performance in the early match-up and oh yeah, a state title to play for. So, stakes are big on their side. Benton has been on the rise the last several years and this would be the icing on the cake. I'd expect a little different twist with their Sr QB, although I thought that Soph QB played outstanding against GW. Wallace got dinged up early in that contest and that changed the complexion of the game as well.

GW has to shake off the offensive doldrums they have had the first 2 games IMO, play better than they did the first match-up, and complete something that many thought might not be possible this year with what they lost. GW has a ton of experience on this stage, plus most players on the roster already have one ring under their belt. A repeat would be sweet and you can never have too much bling or hardware.

High Voltage

Quote from: B.G. on November 24, 2018, 06:43:28 pm
You only have to go back 2 years to find a case where GW beat someone in the regular season but lost to them in the Championship.  Not saying that's the case here, but it can.
You dang right it can happen. This game scares me a bit. Isn't the senior QB for Benton back?

TTofGreenwood

November 25, 2018, 09:48:18 pm #14 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:41:12 am by TTofGreenwood
Don't think CRJ will go out with a loss. Dogs 45 Panthers 20.

CURLEYWOLF24

Quote from: High Voltage on November 25, 2018, 05:04:01 pm
You dang right it can happen. This game scares me a bit. Isn't the senior QB for Benton back?
He's back, but I'm pretty sure Brad Harris will use both QB's. Then go with the hot hand.

Wildcat Football

November 26, 2018, 08:48:46 am #16 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:21:22 am by Wildcat Football
Quote from: CURLEYWOLF24 on November 26, 2018, 05:33:54 am
He's back, but I'm pretty sure Brad Harris will use both QB's. Then go with the hot hand.
I recall Coach Jones had 2 capable QB's with Senior Luke Hales and Soph Connor Noland in 2015 and both played in the title game.  He lost a close one to PB Z's 28-21.

Wildcat Football

Quote from: CURLEYWOLF24 on November 26, 2018, 05:33:54 am
If Benton has any chance, their defense must contain Holt who is the ultimate competitor.  Week 8 meeting, Holt made some unbelievable plays.  Last year, Holt played a great game from the WR position with over 200 yards in title game...kid is as versatile as they come.  Scary thing is football is not even his primary sport.  He is playing at next level as a baseball player.  IMO, Benton must get Z. Wallace going since he went out early in previous meeting with ankle injury. I was surprised Benton rushed for almost 300 yards against a very good WM D-Line.

High Voltage

Quote from: TTofGreenwood on November 25, 2018, 09:48:18 pm
Don't think CRJ will go out with a loss. Dogs 45 Panthers 20.
Go out with a loss? He giving it up after this season?

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: High Voltage on November 26, 2018, 09:09:08 am

That's the rumblings on the street.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: B.G. on November 24, 2018, 08:23:05 pm
That's worth noting but in 7A it happens a lot.  Just happens to be the Central.

6A not as much as 7A.

5A less due to the fact their are more conferences.

3 of the past 4 years in 5A...

CatPride

Benton makes some key adjustments to avoid a mercy rule, but GW is just too much. GW by 10

Oldbadger

Because of Greenwood's history and the earlier loss by Benton, you have to give Greenwood the nod. But you have to remember Benton put up over 500 yards of total offense against the vaunted Greenwood defense, 380 of which was passing by the sophomore QB. Add Wallace this game and the complexion changes. This is the year Benton has the talent to get it done. A stellar defensive effort will be required by the Panthers, however, and somehow they will have to corral Holt. Benton's determination will be a huge factor. Greenwood best not get complacent. This game has the makings of a classic. Go Panthers!

TTofGreenwood

Quote from: High Voltage on November 26, 2018, 09:09:08 am

If I had to bet....you can only shoot fish in a barrel for so long.

Baitshop

RDâ„¢

Something about this game concerns me...It is tough to beat same team twice. I know Greenwood blasted Benton by laying a 60 spot on Benton. It didn't feel like that.

High Voltage

High Voltage

Quote from: RDâ„¢ on November 26, 2018, 12:39:45 pm
Something about this game concerns me...It is tough to beat same team twice. I know Greenwood blasted Benton by laying a 60 spot on Benton. It didn't feel like that.
I agree!

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: High Voltage on November 26, 2018, 12:47:23 pm
Scott Reed will get the Cabot job.

Reed can stay, but I hereby nominate our defensive coordinator for the Cowbut position.  He can go as far as I'm concerned.

Oldbadger

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on November 26, 2018, 01:40:41 pm
Reed can stay, but I hereby nominate our defensive coordinator for the Cowbut position.  He can go as far as I'm concerned.
Are you saying you'll be glad he's gone? Are you and Eldo poster? Why would anyone want him for the Cabot job if he's not welcome at Eldo? I'm confused!

POWERCAT PRIDE

Oldbadger....REED CAN STAY...defensive coordinator can go

Oldbadger

I will say that I feel that they will only consider current successful head coaches for the Cabot job. They  pay  very well at Cabot. My personal opinion also is they will want someone who does not run the dead-T or option or whatever it is Cabot has been running. That offense can work, but at higher levels when schools have athletes it can be stopped and it is the devil to come from behind with. I personally don't like it.

Brian G

Kevin

Really pulling for Benton this weekend. Saline county is PACKED with talent, Benton, Bryant, Harmony Grove, and Bauxite all had record setting years(the records being school records, not state records)

Kevin

Y'all remember how crazy it was when Lebron brought a championship back to Cleveland in 2016? I believe this saturday night we in saline county will feel near the same.

zebradynasty

I will say this Benton is a lot more humble this trip to the Championship.

BullDogFan72

Quote from: Kevin on November 28, 2018, 10:34:30 am
Y'all remember how crazy it was when Lebron brought a championship back to Cleveland in 2016? I believe this saturday night we in saline county will feel near the same.

Your assumption is that Benton will just walk in and take the title??  I think you need to remember who Benton is playing on Saturday.  I promise you that Greenwood will put up the fight of their lives to keep the 6A Title.  No doubt Benton is talented, but Greenwood has some outstanding talent as well.  People assume that they won't be able to beat Benton twice.  People don't give Greenwood's senior class enough credit.  At Greenwood they don't rebuild, they just reload.  I know for certain that Greenwood is not taking Benton lightly at all, they will be just as prepared as Benton will be.  It will be a fight to the end.  I am looking forward to the game.

Baitshop

^^^^It's always more fun when the players parents start posting....^^^^

Gosh, I miss Bulldogger15.. :'(

PA Dad

Quote from: Baitshop on November 28, 2018, 09:47:46 pm

Naw, not really.

RiverRunner02

Quote from: BullDogFan72 on November 28, 2018, 11:13:47 am
Your assumption is that Benton will just walk in and take the title??  I think you need to remember who Benton is playing on Saturday.  I promise you that Greenwood will put up the fight of their lives to keep the 6A Title.  No doubt Benton is talented, but Greenwood has some outstanding talent as well.  People assume that they won't be able to beat Benton twice.  People don't give Greenwood's senior class enough credit.  At Greenwood they don't rebuild, they just reload.  I know for certain that Greenwood is not taking Benton lightly at all, they will be just as prepared as Benton will be.  It will be a fight to the end.  I am looking forward to the game.
May I ask that how is comparing Lebrun bringing a title to Cleveland in 2016 is like saying Benton will walk in and take the title... lol

Nevertheless I hope for a good game Saturday

The Future

State games are always fun. You never know if you're gonna get a blowout, a offensive shootout, a defensive battle, or the upset.
Last year 7A  gave us the battle, 6A the blowout, and 5A almost gave us the upset.

This year I don't see any upsets. I think all three games will be close for the first half but then during the second half the better teams will pull away with NLR and Greenwood winning by a few scores and PA by a lot of scores.

My original score prediction for this game was 45-21 but I'm throwing that out the window.
-Just like last time, neither team will score on its first possession.
-However, i say one of the first drives will end due to a turnover and not a punt.
-Holt has only thrown one pick all year, but he'll throw one this game.
-Benton had over 500 yards last time on Greenwood's defense and that was without Wallace most of the game. I'm sure it'll be no different with Wallace.
-Speaking of Wallace, with the run game going, this will open up the secondary where Greenwood has been known to give up long gains and TDs. Look for Benton to have at least 2 passing scores of over 30 yards.
-Holt will account for over 300 yards of Greenwood's offense.
-Both teams combined for over 1000 yards of offense last time. It'll be more this time.
-Greenwood 57
Benton 35

maxswine

The only thing I know about these state games this weekend is I'll take the over on the 5A game.

AirWarren

Quote from: Baitshop on November 28, 2018, 09:47:46 pm

I love the thread containing the dad's running out with their kids in their letterman jacket. I am not sure I have gotten that much laughter out of this board than I did then.

Topdog1

Quote from: AirWarren on November 29, 2018, 11:19:26 am
I love the thread containing the dad's running out with their kids in their letterman jacket. I am not sure I have gotten that much laughter out of this board than I did then.

What time can we watch your playoff game Warren?

AirWarren

November 29, 2018, 01:45:28 pm #44 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:47:56 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Topdog1 on November 29, 2018, 12:06:57 pm
What time can we watch your playoff game Warren?

It's right after the daddy run out.

In all seriousness. We wish we were playing. We have played in 4 times in WMS in the past 5 years. 7 times in the past 18. We have had a good run and we will be back.

Pr8hd

Quote from: AirWarren on November 29, 2018, 11:19:26 am

Perfect example of how one person or people can twist something via social media to meet their own insecurities or to get their self-satisfaction. It was not meant to glorify the parents, but rather show a sign of support to the kids for positive male role models devised by Jones not the dads. It was never the dads idea. There was no eye black, tearaway jerseys, etc. Did some get more into it than others, probably so, but the underlying concept was not about the dads at all.

Most, certainly had no designs to relive days gone by. Personally, GW was not great when I played and we had a not so great coach, some things are best left in the past. Lots of good memories despite that.  Yet, I would do anything to show support for my son(s). It's the least I could do if I was asked, given the level of sacrifice and work he did for the team...even if it was sort of inconvenient in some regard and later ridiculed by grown ups on message boards.
Glad you enjoyed it....

Now, back to regular programming.

The Future

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2018, 03:10:26 pm
Perfect example of how one person or people can twist something via social media to meet their own insecurities or to get their self-satisfaction. It was not meant to glorify the parents, but rather show a sign of support to the kids for positive male role models devised by Jones not the dads. It was never the dads idea. There was no eye black, tearaway jerseys, etc. Did some get more into it than others, probably so, but the underlying concept was not about the dads at all.

Most, certainly had no designs to relive days gone by. Personally, GW was not great when I played and we had a not so great coach, some things are best left in the past. Lots of good memories despite that.  Yet, I would do anything to show support for my son(s). It's the least I could do if I was asked, given the level of sacrifice and work he did for the team...even if it was sort of inconvenient in some regard and later ridiculed by grown ups on message boards.
Glad you enjoyed it....

Now, back to regular programming.

Price to pay for greatness. People will look for and find (and sometimes make up) things to hate on.

I hate cliches and overly used phrases. But...
they hate us cause they ain't us.

If Hall or Fair or Huntsville or Corning ( who has the states longest current losing streak. They haven't won since 2014 I believe) had their player's dads walk them out to the field before a home game, I doubt anyone would take the time to even care about writing about it on a forum.

PA Dad

Quote from: The Future on November 29, 2018, 04:15:11 pm
Price to pay for greatness. People will look for and find (and sometimes make up) things to hate on.

If Hall or Fair or Huntsville or Corning ( who has the states longest current losing streak. They haven't won since 2014 I believe) had their player's dads walk them out to the field before a home game, I doubt anyone would take the time to even care about writing about it on a forum.

Yep.  Just like the constant refrain that if you're winning you must be cheating.

Bigfootdogfan

Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2018, 04:40:23 pm
Yep.  Just like the constant refrain that if you're winning you must be cheating.

That's right, couldn't be that they out work and out coach and out play everyone else so it just has to be they are cheating because no one can do all the above to all their opponents.

Pr8hd

November 29, 2018, 06:46:07 pm #49 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:47:40 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: The Future on November 29, 2018, 04:15:11 pm

My guess is if Hall did it, it  would be applauded not chastised given the level of support I have seen when we have played them. It should be as well. The sad things is those kids deserve to be lifted up because they play despite the odds against regardless of win or lose. In the past, we have tried to do things for teams like Hall- cheer for them, make signs for them, feed them ,etc. GW knows they got it good and are spoiled. So, things you do that are perceived negatively are blown way out of portion while the good things or intentions are overshadowed, scoffed at, or ridiculed.

GW is very, very lucky to have what they have in terms of support, coaching, facilities, success, etc. Unfortunately, sometimes we as a fanbase lose sight of our humility or where the past has brought us to.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas