• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discuss the Round 6/7 games in the 5A West (Jan 28/Jan31) here

Started by sevenof400, January 26, 2014, 10:30:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redvino8

I think RJ was using "soup lines" figuratively ... May be wrong but that's how I took it..

DogsWin7

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 02, 2014, 06:20:17 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on February 02, 2014, 06:10:36 pm
I've decided as Alma fans, we need to argue more amongst each other like Harrison does every year.

...especially since us Vilonia fans are not providing the entertainment value we once did....
I think you entertain just fine seven...:)

Rockhounds x2

February 02, 2014, 08:42:41 pm #102 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:52:31 pm by Rockhounds x2
redvino8:
I think RJ was using "soup lines" figuratively ... May be wrong but that's how I took it..

Still a stupid statement! All the kids want to play and wanting to play don't make you a winner or a loser it makes you a kid!

One question if a kid has issues and quits does that make him a loser or a whinner?

Elvis Hoggoblin

Elvis Hoggoblin

In my very humble opinion both RJ and Rockhound both have good points and admitted exaggerations. I like all want mine to play, but more importantly I want him to experience the life lessons that athletics teaches.
Go Goblins! 

dburd

Sounds like the some cranky Goblin nation posters had bets on the Bronco's today.

rjrose

Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on February 02, 2014, 08:42:41 pm
redvino8:

Still a stupid statement! All the kids want to play and wanting to play don't make you a winner or a loser it makes you a kid!

One question if a kid has issues and quits does that make him a loser or a whinner?
I may have used a bad example but the point is work hard to gain in life.  Not everyone that is struggling and in a soup line are not trying.  They just couldn't get a break.  Times are tough and it is not a lack of effort that people struggle.  At least not all people.  Lots of kids work hard to play sports and never play any significant minutes.  Doesn't mean they didn't try and that their losers.  What I said was if you whine and complain about coaches bringing in new players to help the team and it cuts your playing time then spend more time in the gym or on the field to get better.  If someone is better than you then you just have to work harder.  All kids want to play your right but do all kids want to win.  That's the problem today in athletics it's about everyone getting to play equally.  In my day the coach cut kids.  He only carried 12-15 on a roster.  Everyone else had to try again next year.  Most rosters today are 20 plus kids.  You can't even practice effectively with that many kids.  Our coaches do a great job of seeing that all of them get a chance in practice.  The kids that impress me are the ones I see stay after practice and shoot and get in the gym all summer.  The ones that work extra even though they never touch the floor.  They are about team and winning and want to be a part.  They do the work and don't complain.  If adding another player makes the team better then everyone should be happy whether it effects their playing time or not.  As an individual I understand the disappointment of losing playing time but knowing my team will be better and gives me a goal to work for.  In my opinion the coaches gave lots of kids chances to step up and contribute and take care of any deficiencies and evidently he still felt there was a void. Giving the kids a chance before bringing up a freshman to me was the right way to do it.  Again, if it causes team "chemistry" problems then you had chemistry problems in the first place.  It says you had kids on the team that were more interested in themselves than they were about winning.  Championship teams don't do that.  Jacksonville played 10 kids last year and they didn't care they just wanted to win.  They have a 9th grader on the roster now.  The bottom line is the "best" players ought to play.  People want every kid to play but they won't let every kid on the "quiz bowl team".  Double standard.  Whether or not a kid quits makes him a winner or loser is not mine to say.  Depends on the situation.  I let mine quit a sport when he was younger and it was a big mistake that I would never do again even though the circumstance was bad.  He needed to play thru it.  Let's just all cheer for the Gobs.

rjrose

Quote from: redvino8 on February 02, 2014, 08:38:33 pm
Yes I was.  My point wasn't if a kid fails at a sport he will be in a soup line.  Anyone that took that is missing it badly.  My point is that just like everyone that is on government assistance is not lazy and shiftless.  Just bad luck or no jobs.  You can't lump them all in one pile.  The same in sports.  Because one kid doesn't play much doesn't mean he isn't working hard in practice.  Someone is just better.  I've just always been one that said add who you need to and improve the team.  It'a about winning and teaching character.  As Elvis said, there are life lessons in sports and sometimes it just doesn't go your way.  Deal with it and become stronger for it.  Life is not fair.  Sorry for I guess a bad example since you seemed to be the only one that understood it.

Rockhounds x2

--- Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on February 02, 2014, 08:42:41 pm ---redvino8:

--- End quote ---
I may have used a bad example but the point is work hard to gain in life.  Not everyone that is struggling and in a soup line are not trying.  They just couldn't get a break.  Times are tough and it is not a lack of effort that people struggle.  At least not all people.  Lots of kids work hard to play sports and never play any significant minutes.  Doesn't mean they didn't try and that their losers.  What I said was if you whine and complain about coaches bringing in new players to help the team and it cuts your playing time then spend more time in the gym or on the field to get better.  If someone is better than you then you just have to work harder.  All kids want to play your right but do all kids want to win.  That's the problem today in athletics it's about everyone getting to play equally.  In my day the coach cut kids.  He only carried 12-15 on a roster.  Everyone else had to try again next year.  Most rosters today are 20 plus kids.  You can't even practice effectively with that many kids.  Our coaches do a great job of seeing that all of them get a chance in practice.  The kids that impress me are the ones I see stay after practice and shoot and get in the gym all summer.  The ones that work extra even though they never touch the floor.  They are about team and winning and want to be a part.  They do the work and don't complain.  If adding another player makes the team better then everyone should be happy whether it effects their playing time or not.  As an individual I understand the disappointment of losing playing time but knowing my team will be better and gives me a goal to work for.  In my opinion the coaches gave lots of kids chances to step up and contribute and take care of any deficiencies and evidently he still felt there was a void. Giving the kids a chance before bringing up a freshman to me was the right way to do it.  Again, if it causes team "chemistry" problems then you had chemistry problems in the first place.  It says you had kids on the team that were more interested in themselves than they were about winning.  Championship teams don't do that.  Jacksonville played 10 kids last year and they didn't care they just wanted to win.  They have a 9th grader on the roster now.  The bottom line is the "best" players ought to play.  People want every kid to play but they won't let every kid on the "quiz bowl team".  Double standard.  Whether or not a kid quits makes him a winner or loser is not mine to say.  Depends on the situation.  I let mine quit a sport when he was younger and it was a big mistake that I would never do again even though the circumstance was bad.  He needed to play thru it.  Let's just all cheer for the Gobs.

This is where you and I differ! You coach a summer sport as I did it was a different sport but same thing basically! As you've already said you'd get a 5 th grader if it helped you win! I would choose as a coach to do a better job practicing the kids I had to better prepare them for the games ahead! In life if your boss hires 2 new workers and it cuts your hours from 40 back to 32 then you are mad! And that creates  a chemistry problem at work!
No one said anyone was whining or mad all I said was it can creat a issue with chemistry and it might! Several others with knowledge said the same Basketball Zonebuster among others!The kid is a talent and has size on offense it looks to me like its a improvement but not on the other end of the court right now. I will be honest with you RJ both my kids want to play and are disappointed if they don't and they want to win! I'm sure that makes them whiners or losers and they will wind up on the soup line, they stay after practice most days and shoot and try to work on there game! They have never quit anything nor will they! At this level or the next! I'm done.

rjrose

Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on February 03, 2014, 12:52:23 pm

--- End quote ---

This is where you and I differ! You coach a summer sport as I did it was a different sport but same thing basically! As you've already said you'd get a 5 th grader if it helped you win! I would choose as a coach to do a better job practicing the kids I had to better prepare them for the games ahead! In life if your boss hires 2 new workers and it cuts your hours from 40 back to 32 then you are mad! And that creates  a chemistry problem at work!
No one said anyone was whining or mad all I said was it can creat a issue with chemistry and it might! Several others with knowledge said the same Basketball Zonebuster among others!The kid is a talent and has size on offense it looks to me like its a improvement but not on the other end of the court right now. I will be honest with you RJ both my kids want to play and are disappointed if they don't and they want to win! I'm sure that makes them whiners or losers and they will wind up on the soup line, they stay after practice most days and shoot and try to work on there game! They have never quit anything nor will they! At this level or the next! I'm done.
Then why bring it up in the first place especially on a public forum.  I know all kids want to play.  I just wonder why it's being talked about.  These kind of posts bring chemistry issues.

overit1969

Huntsville needs to check into there coaching. Just my opinion. Any thoughts?

Basketball

Quote from: rjrose on February 03, 2014, 01:00:02 pm
Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on February 03, 2014, 12:52:23 pm

--- End quote ---
I may have used a bad example but the point is work hard to gain in life.  Not everyone that is struggling and in a soup line are not trying.  They just couldn't get a break.  Times are tough and it is not a lack of effort that people struggle.  At least not all people.  Lots of kids work hard to play sports and never play any significant minutes.  Doesn't mean they didn't try and that their losers.  What I said was if you whine and complain about coaches bringing in new players to help the team and it cuts your playing time then spend more time in the gym or on the field to get better.  If

someone is better than you then you just have to work harder.  All kids want to play your right but do all kids want to win.  That's the problem today in athletics it's about everyone getting to play equally.  In my day the coach cut kids.  He only carried 12-15 on a roster.  Everyone else had to try again next year.  Most rosters today are 20 plus kids.  You can't even practice effectively with that many kids.  Our coaches do a great job of seeing that all of them get a chance in practice.  The kids that impress me are the ones I see stay after practice and shoot and get in the gym all summer.  The ones that work extra even though they never touch the floor.  They are about team and winning and want to be a part.  They do the work and don't complain.  If adding another player makes the team better then everyone should be happy whether it effects their playing time or not.  As an individual I understand the disappointment of losing playing time but knowing my team will be
better and gives me a goal to work for.  In my opinion the coaches gave lots of kids chances to step up and contribute and take care of any deficiencies and evidently he still felt there was a void. Giving the kids a chance before bringing up a freshman to me was the right way to do it.  Again, if it causes team "chemistry" problems then you had chemistry problems in the first place.  It says you had kids on the team that were more interested in themselves than they were about winning.  Championship teams don't do that.  Jacksonville played 10 kids last year and they didn't care they just wanted to win.  They have a 9th grader on the roster now.  The bottom line is the "best" players ought to play.  People want every kid to play but they won't let every kid on the "quiz bowl team".  Double standard.  Whether or not a kid quits makes him a winner or loser is not mine to say.  Depends on the situation.  I let mine quit a sport when he was younger and it was a big
mistake that I would never do again even though the circumstance was bad.  He needed to play thru it.  Let's just all cheer for the Gobs.

No one said anyone was whining or mad all I said was it can creat a issue with chemistry and it
might! Several others with knowledge said the same Basketball Zonebuster among others!The kid is a talent and has size on offense it looks to me like its a improvement but not on the other end of the court right now. I will be honest with you RJ both my kids want to play and are disappointed if they don't and they want to win! I'm sure that makes them whiners or losers and they will wind up on the soup line, they stay after practice most days and shoot and try to work on there game! They have never quit anything nor will they! At this level or the next! I'm done.
Then why bring it up in the first place especially on a public forum.  I know all kids want to play.  I just wonder why it's being talked about.  These kind of posts bring chemistry issues.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but sounds like winning at any cost.  And I do have a sour taste for that. I probably disagree with most here.  In all my years of coaching I never considered moving a player up...not before the season, not during, or not after the junior high was finished.  I do think it affects chemistry.  Guess i would rather dance with who I have.

Rockhounds x2

Ok let's break this down so u can understand it!

That was before we held tryouts from 5th-9th grades!

This was the overstatement I cant believe anyone took this serious!

Bringing a player up this time of year can make a team stronger and better or it can tear them apart!

This is a statement that few will argue not to be true I see no harm in this?

3 players that had been playing roles never seen the court tonight!

This is a over view of the game and I believe to be a fact!
Still see no harm?

Time will tell if this was a smart move!

I think in 4 weeks we will know if this move worked out for better or worse! I hope it's for the better because you can't undo it now. Not sure which sentence ruffled feathers and created such a need for a Martha Stewart how to: on staying out of the soup line!

If any of this offended anyone it wasn't my intention!

illbeatyou

Looks like the chemistry problems have already started. Got them fighting with each other. Can't get much better than that. Moving up a player at this point in the year is a tough call. For those who think a team full of the best players is always going to be the best team is wrong. I think it can for sure cause chemistry problems. 04 Lakers 4 hall of famers blew up against the pistons who weren't supposed to be that good. Or the 12 Lakers. Bryant, Nash, Gasol, Howard. Then again it can always turn out to be the right decision.

AT

Quote from: illbeatyou on February 03, 2014, 09:17:14 pm
Looks like the chemistry problems have already started. Got them fighting with each other. Can't get much better than that. Moving up a player at this point in the year is a tough call. For those who think a team full of the best players is always going to be the best team is wrong. I think it can for sure cause chemistry problems. 04 Lakers 4 hall of famers blew up against the pistons who weren't supposed to be that good. Or the 12 Lakers. Bryant, Nash, Gasol, Howard. Then again it can always turn out to be the right decision.

I can't recall Alma EVER moving up anyone from 9th grade up to senior high. We have to be one of the few schools who haven't. It's not like we couldn't do it, either. If Isaac McCoy didn't move up, then I don't know if we ever will.

Go Postal

I'm not sure, but I think we moved up Tate and maybe Colliver on the boys team from 9th.

Personally, I don't care who plays for the Goblins.  Always a great game to watch. 

Coaches have a difficult job to put different perspectives on the court/field/diamond/pitch with what they have.  A win is all that matters. 

sevenof400

Speaking of Issac McCoy, what has he been up to since he left Alma?  I recall he was headed to Oklahoma State but I haven't heard much about him since graduation. 

rjrose

Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on February 03, 2014, 06:35:21 pm
Ok let's break this down so u can understand it!

That was before we held tryouts from 5th-9th grades!

This was the overstatement I cant believe anyone took this serious!

Bringing a player up this time of year can make a team stronger and better or it can tear them apart!

This is a statement that few will argue not to be true I see no harm in this?

3 players that had been playing roles never seen the court tonight!

This is a over view of the game and I believe to be a fact!
Still see no harm?

Time will tell if this was a smart move!

I think in 4 weeks we will know if this move worked out for better or worse! I hope it's for the better because you can't undo it now. Not sure which sentence ruffled feathers and created such a need for a Martha Stewart how to: on staying out of the soup line!

If any of this offended anyone it wasn't my intention!
First of all the 5th-9th statement was meant to be sarcastic and to try and open up a can of worms.  Why even bring this up and then especially "exaggerate" the situation.  Trying to stir the pot.
Secondly, players getting game time in a close game has got to do with matchups.  One night a kid may play the whole game and the next not see the floor.  It happens in college all the time.
Last, the "soup line" comment was meant as an example that although you may try as hard as you can and give your best it doesn't necessarily mean success.  I know good hard working people that are struggling right now.  They are giving great effort but struggling to feed their families.  That doesn't make them losers anymore than kids that work hard and do their best are losers because they don't get to play.  Obviously using the soup line analogy was too much for some.  Poor choice on my part.  Instead of speculating what may happen why not just support the kids and the coaches and watch it unfold.  If the experiment doesn't work it doesn't mean it was wrong.  How would you know that the team wouldn't have had a worse 2nd half without the 9th grader moving up.  Based on what I know about these kids there won't be a chemistry problem unless we have kids like I described in my first post.  That only care about their playing time and not winning.  If that's the case then you have the whiners.

sevenof400

Quote from: rjrose on February 06, 2014, 09:30:41 am
Here is a link to understanding varsity sports that is good.  http://usafootball.com/blogs/football-parents/post/8062

I'm not sure that linked article suggests varsity sports are good - rather the linked article is attempting to paint a picture of reality in high school sports. 

rjrose

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 06, 2014, 09:40:05 am
Here is a link to understanding varsity sports that is good.  http://usafootball.com/blogs/football-parents/post/8062

I'm not sure that linked article suggests varsity sports are good - rather the linked article is attempting to paint a picture of reality in high school sports.
Yes your right and that was my point.  It's not everything everyone builds it up to be.  It's reality.

ahsalum

February 06, 2014, 12:03:27 pm #122 Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:28:07 am by Steve Perry
Quote from: rjrose on February 06, 2014, 10:23:07 am
Yes your right and that was my point.  It's not everything everyone builds it up to be.  It's reality.

Rick Perry

Quote from: HackerHog on February 01, 2014, 12:04:49 pm
Quote from: godeep on February 01, 2014, 09:12:41 am
Forrest City is keeping a close eye with what's happening in the West. No doubt they would rather have Harrison than Alma @ Alma in the 1st round. Either way it will be tough.

Harrison beat Forrest City the last time they played in Alma. But I digress. You're looking at the wrong 2 teams. Forrest City will play Greenbrier in the first round at Alma.

Good call

godeep

Looks like Forrest City/Alma n the 1st round. Harrison looks solid at the 3 spot.

AT

Quote from: godeep on February 22, 2014, 11:53:53 am
Looks like Forrest City/Alma n the 1st round. Harrison looks solid at the 3 spot.

Not so fast my friend! If Alma wins out against Shiloh at home and Greenbrier on the road and Harrison loses to just one of Huntsville at home or Morrilton on the road, Harrison is the 3 seed.

Maybe you knew that and still feel Harrison is solid, but I would say that scenario has a 30-40 percent chance of happening right now.

rjrose

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 06, 2014, 09:40:05 am

I was saying that it was a good article not that it said varsity sports was good.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas