• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8 Man Football

Started by playmaker04, May 30, 2018, 01:38:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon67

When I taught at Bringley 1971-1972 we had 200 students per grade (which would have been 5A this school based on 5A schools this year.  2A can be 30-50 students per grade.  Also when you talk about students per grade, 1/2 will be girls.  Also, high school graduates who go to college, or to work in a larger town are not likely to come back.  That is the reason so many south and east schools and towns are decreasing in population.

MomaLion

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 04, 2018, 06:03:54 am
I hope you are right but from where?  Google tells me the population of Monroe County has dropped over 13% since 2010 so what is happening to reverse that trend?  The principal seems pessimistic about future enrollment.

This cycle we are probably going to be OK, but just with our enrollment down the road, we're probably going to have to do something if we want football to survive at our school."

We have a ton of kids that go to Marvell Academy or other area schools.  We've already seen some of those transferring back to Clarendon and with the new facilities I expect to get some from Brinkley as well.  It may take a couple more years, but I don't think we'll have any issues fielding a team.

MomaLion

Quote from: Cheek on June 04, 2018, 07:44:47 pm
It does not matter what you build the Delta is drying up and the town will continue to shrink.  The largest employer in the town is the School District.  As students graduate and go off to college, they will not return.   Clarendon and Brinkley will have to consolidate in the near future.

I have no problem with consolidating with Brinkley, we've seen it coming for years...however, the consolidation would happen because Brinkley needs to consolidate.  We may be low in football numbers but we have plenty of students to stay afloat ourselves.  Unfortunately kids nowadays want to jump to whichever school has the best facilities/teams...while I think that's wrong, we should benefit a bit from that mentality.

Sonofasonofasailor

AAA approves as a club sport for 2018.

The Arkansas Activities Association's board of directors approved eight-man football as a club sport during the first day of the association's summer workshop on Tuesday at the Holiday Inn Little Rock Airport Conference Center.

Five teams have expressed interest in playing eight-man football for the 2018 season -- Augusta, Decatur, Episcopal Collegiate, Hermitage and Arkansas Christian Academy. Only Arkansas Christian Academy is not currently a AAA member in football as it plays in the Heartland Christian School Athletic Association. Those five schools showed their interest in a meeting May 30 at the AAA office in North Little Rock, where 11 other schools also were in attendance.

A club season would last 10 games with no championship. Schools have until July 1 to decide whether they want to play eight-man football. If there is enough interest, Steve Roberts, the AAA associate executive director, will handle eight-man football schedules.

The high school football regular season for 11-man football begins Monday, Aug. 20, but it is not certain when the eight-man football season would begin.

The board also approved the use of the association's catastrophe insurance policy for eight-man football teams. The policy provides coverage for students who are injured in AAA games or practices.

While the AAA does not sponsor club sports, the association does offer its insurance policy to AAA members that play in those sports. Other club sports in the state include bass fishing and trap shooting.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: MomaLion on June 06, 2018, 12:30:12 am
We have a ton of kids that go to Marvell Academy or other area schools.  We've already seen some of those transferring back to Clarendon and with the new facilities I expect to get some from Brinkley as well.  It may take a couple more years, but I don't think we'll have any issues fielding a team.

Again, hope enrollment maintains or grows but curious about your Brinkley comment.  Are kids living within the Brinkley district allowed to attend Clarendon?

friscokid

At least it's a start.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: old.dole on May 30, 2018, 05:09:27 pm
Woodlawn should be next

Woodlawn decided to stay with 11 man for the time being. Expecting roster in the mid 20's, had 21 go through spring.

beach bum

Quote from: MomaLion on June 06, 2018, 12:34:48 am
I have no problem with consolidating with Brinkley, we've seen it coming for years...however, the consolidation would happen because Brinkley needs to consolidate.  We may be low in football numbers but we have plenty of students to stay afloat ourselves.  Unfortunately kids nowadays want to jump to whichever school has the best facilities/teams...while I think that's wrong, we should benefit a bit from that mentality.

Why in the world would you not send your kids to the best possible place to succeed? Usually a school that invests in its facilities means the morale is good in a community?

Dayton Kitchens

Looking at the five interested teams what stands out is horrendously long travel times.    With fuel prices headed up and no confirmed interest by fans in 8 man football it seems like a guaranteed money hole for several small schools.

4real

Quote from: beach bum on June 02, 2018, 10:15:43 pm
Take a look at the schools on the chopping block numbers wise for both and you will see a lot of schools named on both future potential lists down the road.... AW is on to something, and as much as it stings some 2A folks to hear. I don't like that reality either, but it is what it is and he is right. Football is still a sport that requires 11 on the field at one time with 17-21 healthy bodies to realistically have a team even. And with less kids playing the sport its going to become so hard for the schools to keep a football program. Just wait another 10-15 years and you will see another round of consolidating happen again. All it takes it one governor to make the 350 number firm and its over. Isn't there some flexibility with that number going on already where some schools should be closed but the location is still open being ran by another district? I am pretty sure Saint Paul is ran by Huntsville, but the Saint Paul location is still there. Like I said wait for another governor who goes firm with a number and closes even more 1A schools. Can someone fill me in on the Saint Paul/Huntsville scenario cause I think that is going on in other spots in the state where the 350 number can be flexed if the "parent district" keeps the smaller location open. Like I said someone correct me if I am wrong there.
st Paul remaining open has nothing to do with the state, it is open by the good Mercy of Huntsville.  The numbers have remained steady and they have not bled money, so Huntsville let's the stay open.  In some cases consolidation is needed and in others it's not. But FB has nothing to do with consolidation.  We've got some good sized 3A and I think even a 4A or two that don't have FB.  Whether we start 8man or 6man I think is great. 

clipping

I think as 8 man develops in the state it will become very strong.   There  are smaller schools that have kids wanting to play football and won't get the chance unless 8 man is started in the state.  It's exciting for towns and schools who have never had a football team to finally get one.  Should have been done years ago.

MomaLion

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 06, 2018, 09:15:13 am
Again, hope enrollment maintains or grows but curious about your Brinkley comment.  Are kids living within the Brinkley district allowed to attend Clarendon?
School Choice...that's why Brinkley has declined so much, they lost tons of kids to McCrory and PW.  Kids can go anywhere they want now.

MomaLion

Quote from: beach bum on June 06, 2018, 08:03:56 pm
Why in the world would you not send your kids to the best possible place to succeed? Usually a school that invests in its facilities means the morale is good in a community?
And that's the mentality that is killing small schools and allowing segregation to happen.  It's not just who has the best facilities/teams, but white parents sending kids to white schools and black parents sending kids to black schools.  That's what I don't like.  We as a society have to learn to get along with everyone regardless of race/nationality and that starts in school.  I went to college with a girl that had attended private school all her life and she was scared to interact with anyone that wasn't white...not that she was prejudiced, but she didn't know how to interact and was painfully uncomfortable.

big E

Quote from: MomaLion on June 08, 2018, 12:56:41 am
School Choice...that's why Brinkley has declined so much, they lost tons of kids to McCrory and PW.  Kids can go anywhere they want now.
PW hasn't got a ton of kids from Brinkley 12 to 15 is about it ,  and some of them wasn't school choice,  Parents are and have been teachers at PW for a long time.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: MomaLion on June 08, 2018, 12:56:41 am

Wasn't aware that kids can go anywhere they want.  Using Cabot as an example, some of their back-ups would probably be studs at smaller schools.  If I was coaching at Beebe, Lonoke or even Carlisle, I would go on a recruiting trip.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 08, 2018, 01:52:05 pm
Wasn't aware that kids can go anywhere they want.  Using Cabot as an example, some of their back-ups would probably be studs at smaller schools.  If I was coaching at Beebe, Lonoke or even Carlisle, I would go on a recruiting trip.
There is some fine print in school choice. It's not as simple as you can go anywhere you want.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Oldman on June 08, 2018, 02:32:25 pm
There is some fine print in school choice. It's not as simple as you can go anywhere you want.

You mean there is misinformation on a message board??!!  I'm shocked .  :)

MomaLion

Quote from: Oldman on June 08, 2018, 02:32:25 pm
There are rules concerning school choice and sports but just changing schools, as far as i'm aware, you only need to meet the deadline on enrolling at a new school to be able to switch.  Are there other criteria that need to be met?

big E

You can get waivers from the AAA for sports in some circumstances. To do that the school that you are leaving has to release the student to the school they are trying to enter.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: MomaLion on June 10, 2018, 11:57:05 pm
There are rules concerning school choice and sports but just changing schools, as far as i'm aware, you only need to meet the deadline on enrolling at a new school to be able to switch.  Are there other criteria that need to be met?
Pretty sure there are some racial balance guidelines. Its all confusing to me.

WarriorFan

Quote from: 4real on June 01, 2018, 09:12:49 pm
I think its a good thing.  How can it be a bad deal?  The only gray area is figuring out at what number of enrollment do school deserve eligibility for 8 man, vs sandbagging with 11 man numbers.  Hard thing to figure.

Sad its taken this long to get enough school on board.  15 years ago Hartford made a call to the AAA to get permission to play Oklahoma schools an 8 man schedule, knowing that they would be independent in FB and not eligible for the OK playoffs.  They just figured it was better for their kids, of which there were about 13-15 consistently, to play 8-10 games in a competitive setting and fun, instead of playing Charleston, Danville, Pea Ridge, Elkins and that bunch back at that time in the old 2A.
Don Brodell shut the idea down.  He told the Hartford coach that if they chose to do so, they would be ineligible for post season play in all sports.  Crooked.

No not the Great Don Brodell??????

Yogi bear

Has anyone heard if  Woodlawn playing eight man football now?

eldofan

I read something recently that they are going to field a 11 man squad .

old.dole

I heard 8 man in senior and junior high!

eldofan

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on June 06, 2018, 07:39:41 pm
Woodlawn decided to stay with 11 man for the time being. Expecting roster in the mid 20's, had 21 go through spring.
woodlawn 11 man football per WonderWartHawg

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: old.dole on June 12, 2018, 09:11:40 pm
I heard 8 man in senior and junior high!

Sounds right.  Conference opponents are posting two open dates - one for Hermitage, one for Woodlawn.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Yogi bear on June 12, 2018, 07:30:01 pm
Pretty sure they play 9

Wendell Robinson

Quote from: Yogi bear on June 12, 2018, 07:30:01 pm

I got information from the most reliable source there is on it. Woodlawn voted at Monday school board meeting to play 8 man. PM me for the source if you think you need to know.

eldofan

Seems like football just isn't a main sport over there . With an enrollment of 125 students seems like more kids would be interested.  State champion foreman has an enrollment similar to woodlawn .

baseball13

Quote from: eldofan on June 13, 2018, 05:50:53 pm
Seems like football just isn't a main sport over there . With an enrollment of 125 students seems like more kids would be interested.  State champion foreman has an enrollment similar to woodlawn .

You are right football is NOT a main sport over there. When you win state Championships in baseball the way they do that is all you worry about.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on June 06, 2018, 07:39:41 pm

Well, Woodlawn pulled an about face and has decided to make the jump to 8 man NOW.

friscokid

With 6 teams you can now play a full 10-game schedule with a home and home double round robin. Long road trips might be worth playing at a neutral site halfway.

Dayton Kitchens

June 17, 2018, 08:09:27 am #82 Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:15:09 am by Dayton Kitchens
What happens when schools can't get enough kids out for 8 man football?   Go to 6 man football like lots of small schools in West Texas?

And what about field width?    8-man is played on a field only 40 yards wide.   Are the schools involved going to go to the trouble of remarking fields which of course means putting fans further away from the action?

BillieBacker

Quote from: friscokid on June 16, 2018, 11:16:19 pm
With 6 teams you can now play a full 10-game schedule with a home and home double round robin. Long road trips might be worth playing at a neutral site halfway.

Who all is playing 8 man football?

MomaLion

Quote from: Oldman on June 11, 2018, 08:53:02 am
Pretty sure there are some racial balance guidelines. Its all confusing to me.
Brinkley tried going to court a while back to stop kids from being able to use school choice to leave Brinkley siting school segregation.  It didn't work.

friscokid

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 17, 2018, 08:09:27 am
What happens when schools can't get enough kids out for 8 man football?   Go to 6 man football like lots of small schools in West Texas?

And what about field width?    8-man is played on a field only 40 yards wide.   Are the schools involved going to go to the trouble of remarking fields which of course means putting fans further away from the action?
Different states have different rules. Arkansas could decide to keep the regulation field for 8-man for the time being.

Wendell Robinson

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 17, 2018, 08:09:27 am

As friscokid stated, this season the schools have the option of what they want to play on, and if/when it becomes a fully sanctioned sport the AAA will put forth a mandate of the rules. Each state varies on what they wish to play on. Most schools that I have spoken with are fine with the narrower field for a variety of reasons. Less to take care of means upkeep cost goes down for one.

jbtiger73

Woah, woah, woah. Who says that Brinkley is looking to consolidate with anyone? When Brinkley is planning on building an entirely new school in general. We all know that the powers that be in Monroe county, will never let that happen. Im just waiting on some mark to question that we are in the process of building a new school, as if they're from or know someone there as I do. But kids are leaving for McCrory, and PW. Its certain churches and their members in Brinkley, that totally encourage people to move their kids to other districts. Mainly because they aren't in control, or feel like they dont have a say in anything. When they were silent to begin with. Just because little Johnny or Jane wasn't getting their way. Im proud of where im from, even when others aren't. But they're always the first one's to complain.

MT Legend

School choice is killing small town football. Kids should want to represent the town they are from. The whole purpose of High School Sports was to put the best of your town against the best of another town. Key word here is "Town"

jbtiger73

friscokid

School choice theoretically should work both ways. A kid who can't sniff the field at Cabot can go tear it up at Des Arc, for example, or a waterboy in Conway can hike up to Quitman and be a BMOC. Numerous small schools just outside of bigger areas have made a nice living with this dynamic for years.

MomaLion

Quote from: jbtiger73 on June 22, 2018, 07:41:34 am
Woah, woah, woah. Who says that Brinkley is looking to consolidate with anyone? When Brinkley is planning on building an entirely new school in general. We all know that the powers that be in Monroe county, will never let that happen. Im just waiting on some mark to question that we are in the process of building a new school, as if they're from or know someone there as I do. But kids are leaving for McCrory, and PW. Its certain churches and their members in Brinkley, that totally encourage people to move their kids to other districts. Mainly because they aren't in control, or feel like they dont have a say in anything. When they were silent to begin with. Just because little Johnny or Jane wasn't getting their way. Im proud of where im from, even when others aren't. But they're always the first one's to complain.

Now that the vote didn't pass, what will happen? The writing is on the wall with Brinkley's numbers steadily dropping.  As for the powers that be...they have to answer to the state.  Within 5 years, if not sooner, there will be one county school.  I don't like it any more than you do but that's just how these things go.

MT Legend

Quote from: friscokid on June 24, 2018, 04:34:37 pm
School choice theoretically should work both ways. A kid who can't sniff the field at Cabot can go tear it up at Des Arc, for example, or a waterboy in Conway can hike up to Quitman and be a BMOC. Numerous small schools just outside of bigger areas have made a nice living with this dynamic for years.
still doesn't make it right. If a kid ain't cutting it at a bigger school he don't need to leave for a smaller one.He needs to work harder and get good enough to play for his town.school choice just gives a kid a easy way out and a way he doesn't have to work hard. Oh I'll just go play at a smaller school and shine. Lol makes since for this lazy generation though.

MT Legend

Quote from: MomaLion on June 25, 2018, 04:36:08 am
Now that the vote didn't pass, what will happen? The writing is on the wall with Brinkley's numbers steadily dropping.  As for the powers that be...they have to answer to the state.  Within 5 years, if not sooner, there will be one county school.  I don't like it any more than you do but that's just how these things go.
lets hope Brinkley can keep their doors open,Maybe the new school will help keep kids at home where they belong.

MT Legend

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2013/12/27/in-rural-america-school-sports-dying-with-the-population/amp/

This ain't good. I for one hate it. It seems to me small town sports are being purposely targeted. Pushing everything towards the bigger towns or consolidation.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: friscokid on June 24, 2018, 04:34:37 pm
School choice theoretically should work both ways. A kid who can’t sniff the field at Cabot can go tear it up at Des Arc, for example, or a waterboy in Conway can hike up to Quitman and be a BMOC. Numerous small schools just outside of bigger areas have made a nice living with this dynamic for years.

Doesn't necessarily work that way though.    Three of the kids who would've played for Augusta went to Searcy and basically started there.     Same with two Augusta players who went to McCrory.

old.dole

School choice is just legal segregation. If you want to play for school A then live in school A district. It doesn't get any simpler than that

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: old.dole on June 25, 2018, 02:12:55 pm
School choice is just legal segregation. If you want to play for school A then live in school A district. It doesn’t get any simpler than that

There was the claim that without school choice poor performing schools were basically holding students hostage by way of their place of residence and that students benefited if their parents could simply choose to send them to better schools.

old.dole

Then that's when the state should step in instead of allowing those who can afford it send their kids somewhere else. Most not all but most of the time school choice decisions are not made academically imo

MT Legend

School choice is a joke. They knew they was killing small towns when they started this. Fact they probably even planned this for all we know lol. Facts are this bigger towns mean more "MONEY" consolidations means more "MONEY" it came down to kids vs "MONEY" and "MONEY" won.end of story.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas