• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas High School Rivalries

Started by razorback5, May 12, 2006, 11:48:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback5

What are some of the best high school rivalries around the state of Arkansas in any class?

Blue Collar

The ALMIGHTY CAC AND PA, NO DOUBT.

RisonRacingFan

ptown25

In the AAAAA, Alma/Greenwood reigns supreme, but seing as how I play for Paragould, I'm partial to Paragould/Greene County Tech. Hardly ever is the game played with playoff implications, but the passion and intensity is there regardless.

AB™

It's already started.  I'm guessing between now and just the start of football season this thread pops up at least 10 more times.

Father Guido

May 13, 2006, 08:48:59 am #5 Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 05:06:39 pm by Father Guido
Fort Smith, the battle of Rogers Avenue,...Northside/Southside.

None bigger.

scrapper13

Nashville vs Prescott....Nashville vs Asdown....Nashville vs DeQueen...and I'm pretty sure Nashville and CAC will grow into a big rivalry over the next few years.

bulldogs1159

I do belive the Springdale ownege of Fayetteville should be mentioned. And for a while Springdale Southside was a good one.

RD™

Alma/Van Buren has to be mentioned.

wildcat_x-mgr

Texarkana_Piggie

arkansas high-texas high...very old, very heated.

panther_pride

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 13, 2006, 05:45:02 pm
Yeah except Texas High has begun to run away with it.

kijex13

Quote from: scrapper13 on May 13, 2006, 10:39:16 am
Nashville vs Prescott....Nashville vs Asdown....Nashville vs DeQueen...and I'm pretty sure Nashville and CAC will grow into a big rivalry over the next few years.

I think CAC and Ashdown could work up a little rivalry in the next couple of years in a few sports.  CAC beat them in three state tournaments this year.

hoosier_fan

Danville -Dardanelle
Danville -- Ola

softballash25

I don't think it will take a couple of years to work up to a rivalry between Ashdown and CAC..................I think its already a done deal....... ;D

shiloh forever

PA/CAC, Greenwood/Alma, Southside/Northside,Alma/Van Buren,Springdale/Fayetteville.Those are the biggest I can think of,top 3 in order are probably 1.Alma/Greenwood 2.Northside/Southside 3.Alma/Van Buren

olddog79

May 14, 2006, 03:33:37 pm #16 Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 03:36:46 pm by olddog79
Springdale / fayetteville is proably one of the oldest. It's goes back to the early part of the last century. And has a long tradition of pranks and colorful moments. (streakers and such). However, it is a bit lop-sided. Springdale has won the vast majority. Go Red Dogs!

Arkansas' newest rivalry will be Springdale / HarBer. That will be a rough game.

bulldogs1159

Will be another Springdale rivalry with the other team winning once a decade :)

blue_gray

Monticello/Warren..always been a big rivalry..now its called the "Saline River Showdown"

RD™

Monticello/Warren, only to yall it is.

SingleWingGuru

Harrison v. Mountain Home

Since 1939.

side note:  Harrison won it 18 years in a row until 2003.  Mountain Home has won the last two meetings.

Same school colors.

Same sized towns (not schools however)

Historical rivalry.

60 Miles apart.

-Painted Fan-

Charleston vs. Lavaca   The Battle Of Hwy. 22
Such a heated rivalry, I know of folks that are related, go to church together, live across the road from each other.  But when the lights come on, and the whistle sounds to start the game, these people HATE each other.  When the final seconds tick off, we go back to being friends and neighbors.

Boss Man

Eddie Goodson

I'm sorry but PA and CAC haven't been around long enough to rank as top rivalries. Many of the best rivalries have been playing for many, many years. Crossett has been playing Hamburg now for almost 100 years. I'm not suggesting Crossett/Hamburg is bigger in any way. Just using them as an example.

wildcat_x-mgr

PA and CAC have been around since the seventies, at least, and played each other then. I know a guy from Woodlawn that says they used to all play in the same conference then (5A-Central), before the two were powerhouses.

McKnz

Gravette-Gentry is one. The only problem is that some people haven't quite got the grasp on the fact that it's only sports and try to turn it into a fist fight. But, most years each team plays lights out when the final week rolls around.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: pantherfan56 on May 13, 2006, 06:08:35 pm

2 things happened...we have been playing ths as our first game....it is their second game;  and they got a good coach who from what i heard is pretty old school

panther_pride

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 14, 2006, 10:01:33 pm

2 things happened...we have been playing ths as our first game....it is their second game; and they got a good coach who from what i heard is pretty old school
Ok... Will y'all be playing them this year since they're playing in Ohio?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on May 14, 2006, 07:33:43 pm
PA and CAC have been around since the seventies, at least, and played each other then. I know a guy from Woodlawn that says they used to all play in the same conference then (5A-Central), before the two were powerhouses.

ArkansasPrepSports Shows them playing every year since 1979, I think that streak is being ended this year though.

Lions84

Clarendon Vs Brinkley  The Battle for  the Judges Cup and County Bragging Rights.

The Battle since 1966 is Brinkley 25 wins Clarendon 14 wins

panther_pride

Quote from: HF on May 15, 2006, 09:44:32 am
Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on May 14, 2006, 07:33:43 pm

ArkansasPrepSports Shows them playing every year since 1979, I think that streak is being ended this year though.
They will meet for a non-conference match-up in week two.

Drama Mama ™

Quote from: Jeremy2653 on May 14, 2006, 04:19:16 pm
Since 1939.
side note: Harrison won it 18 years in a row until 2003. Mountain Home has won the last two meetings.

Same school colors.
Historical rivalry.
60 Miles apart.

Your goin' down this year ;D Gotta bring the win back to the Creek  ;)

Oompa-Loompa

May 15, 2006, 11:35:07 am #32 Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:38:30 am by Oompa-Loompa
   Pa/cac    northside/southside     springdale/fayetteville

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Drama Mama on May 15, 2006, 10:35:18 am
Since 1939.
side note: Harrison won it 18 years in a row until 2003. Mountain Home has won the last two meetings.

Same school colors.
Historical rivalry.
60 Miles apart.

Your goin' down this year ;D Gotta bring the win back to the Creek ;)

Hey, that is okay...  Your coach needs that win to keep his job--- we are just happy to have a winning record.  JUST KIDDING! :)

If you look at the history of the rivalry---it is very streaky, so switching back and forth probably won't happen but it would make things more interesting.

Harrison is growing on me, with posters like you.

Father Guido

Quote from: Jeremy2653 on May 15, 2006, 11:39:47 am

Kind of like a fungus, isn't it?   ;D

Drama Mama ™

May 15, 2006, 01:46:13 pm #35 Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:54:49 pm by Drama Mama
Quote from: Drama Mama on May 15, 2006, 10:35:18 am
Since 1939.

Same school colors.
Historical rivalry.
60 Miles apart.

Your goin' down this year ;D Gotta bring the win back to the Creek ;)

Hey, that is okay...  Your coach needs that win to keep his job--- we are just happy to have a winning record.  JUST KIDDING! :)

If you look at the history of the rivalry---it is very streaky, so switching back and forth probably won't happen but it would make things more interesting.

lol........ our COACH is in no fear of losing his job ;D  Silly little Bomber !   Gosh it took you guys a long time (18 looooonnnnggg ) years to put together a team and hire a coach that could beat us ;D  (please note I am just teasing with ya !) 

80-86 would have been my participation years ;D  When I was a senior in 86 about 100 of us had a caravan travel to your campus the Thursday am before game day.  ALL your staff ....and ALL of the students were let out on us to defend your campus ;D    Much fun ;D Thank goodness for a 4x4   8)   Got us out of a couple sticky situations that morning   ;)  We left some nice artwork for your fans for the traveling enjoyment  :-*   And your Principal had all of us busted asap........not I....my momma lied like a rug.......I was home sick that day  ;)

Quote from: Father Guido on May 15, 2006, 01:40:27 pm

Kind of like a fungus, isn't it? ;D

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;)

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Drama Mama on May 15, 2006, 01:46:13 pm
lol........ our COACH is in no fear of losing his job ;D  Silly little Bomber !   Gosh it took you guys a long time (18 looooonnnnggg ) years to put together a team and hire a coach that could beat us ;D  (please note I am just teasing with ya !) 

80-86 would have been my participation years ;D  When I was a senior in 86 about 100 of us had a caravan travel to your campus the Thursday am before game day.  ALL your staff ....and ALL of the students were let out on us to defend your campus ;D    Much fun ;D Thank goodness for a 4x4   8)   Got us out of a couple sticky situations that morning   ;)  We left some nice artwork for your fans for the traveling enjoyment  :-*   And your Principal had all of us busted asap........not I....my momma lied like a rug.......I was home sick that day  ;)

Not in getting fired... but too many bad seasons and i think he'll retire.  I doubt that will happen, i'm sure they will rebound this year nicely.

Some favorite Bomber v. Harrison rivalry memories.

2002-  THE FIGHT.  Mountain Home and Harrison Cheerleaders got in a fight in the Spook house.... over rights to tumble of all things.

2001-  We made the playoffs and had a pretty good team.  We thought surely it would be the year---but Harrison WHOOPED UP ON US.  They even passed a lot that game, we were totally unprepared and got it handed to us.

2004- THE FIRST SNAP for the BOMBER OFFENSE.  When Van Dolah took it to the house and Tice was throwing his clipboard only down 7-0.  I knew at that exact moment we had broken the curse.

2005-  THE GOAL LINE STAND.  At the end of that game--- I didn't care what happened.  I'm glad we won, but that was the most exciting 1:05 i have ever seen.

Another good story is the tradition in the old days of swimming in the cotter spring with the fans, cheerleaders, players, parents, and coaches following a victory over the Goblins.  (The game was usually in november and it was FREEZING)

I just hope that regardless of coaches or classification we keep the rivalry going.  It is nice that some fans can keep respect for the rivalry without being rude.  I know we both have our bad apples, and sometimes we lose track of the excitement because of it.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: pantherfan56 on May 15, 2006, 09:28:09 am
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 14, 2006, 10:01:33 pm

2 things happened...we have been playing ths as our first game....it is their second game; and they got a good coach who from what i heard is pretty old school
Ok... Will y'all be playing them this year since they're playing in Ohio?

yes...we play them in week 2 then they go to ohio the following weekend.

wonderboys

Bergman vs. Valley Springs

My senior year, 2001, we were 19-0, the newspaper came to Bergman to interview all 10 of us seniors. When the article came out in the newspaper we were ranked #1 in state. That night, in the Green Forest Holiday tournament Valley Springs beat us by 5. Their fans rushed the court and were on the highest cloud that they could have ever ridden on.
When we played them 2 weeks later we beat them by 44.

This year, Valley Springs was ranked #1 in state. Almost the exact same day, Bergman beat Valley. Bergman then went on to beat Valley 3 more times this season.

In 2000, the Jr. High district tournament was at Valley Springs. A 9th grader from Bergman missed a dunk and fell on the ground. The whole crowd erupted with laughter and jeers.

The rivalry is a good one to say the least.

shiloh forever

May 15, 2006, 07:48:13 pm #39 Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 07:49:54 pm by airedale ballboy
I know over exageration but I know for a fact Alma/Greenwood is the bigger rivalry in the state.It gets hyped up all year and always comes down to the wire,It is always covered by every news station and is covered by almost all sports radio stations.

MikeDiesel™

Greatest high school rivalries....

1. brutalrecruit v. theenglishlanguage
2. jonesboro westside v. winning
3. manila v. football
4. east reality v. west dreams
5. run v. pass
6. Gus v. God

Father Guido

Nicely done Mr.Diesel...except one little thing...

Quote from: MikeDiesel on May 15, 2006, 07:58:52 pm
Greatest high school rivalries....

4. east realitydreams v. west dreamsCHAMPS

fixed that for ya.

Chief_Osceola™

Surprised with as many Booneville posters around here, Booneville - Ozark hasn't been mentioned.

hogsfan41

I would say Fort Smith Northside/ Fort Smith Southside would be probably the best, even though I've never been a part

Uncle Ivan

Alma and Greenwood are two mules that fight over a turnip.

Wynne's a rival to everyone who plays them, it seems.

Father Guido

Northside/Southside is still the king.

Uncle Ivan

Not really.

Who gives a rat's rear about what goes on in Ft. Smith? 

Outside of that area, nobody cares.

flying bird fan

Quote from: egoodson on May 14, 2006, 07:27:54 pm
I'm sorry but PA and CAC haven't been around long enough to rank as top rivalries. Many of the best rivalries have been playing for many, many years. Crossett has been playing Hamburg now for almost 100 years. I'm not suggesting Crossett/Hamburg is bigger in any way. Just using them as an example.
You beat me to it Eddie in mentioning the "Ashley County Bowl"...it's tradition down here...Crossett vs Hamburg...Hamburg has really improved over the past few years & has actually made the game more interesting than it always being a given that Crossett would win...

This thread only gets me wanting the season to start already!!!  :)

Father Guido

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 16, 2006, 07:01:50 pm
Not really.

Who gives a rat's butt about what goes on in Ft. Smith?

Outside of that area, nobody cares.

You have no idea.

10,000 or so fans who genuinely dislike each other.  I have heard that possibly it is not quite as intense as it use to be, but any time you have two teams in one town, in the state's largest classification, usually pretty evenly matched, well, it is a classic...

Long live the Battle of Rogers Avenue.

It use to be one of if not the best rivalry in this region, (Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri...)

rattler06

the OLD Booneville/Paris was very heated until the Cats became too much for them in recent years... here lately... Booneville/Ozark is always a definite HEATED game...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas