• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things we will never see again?

Started by DillyDilly, April 09, 2018, 11:37:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DillyDilly

Probably not many pitchers with double digit wins in a season
Over 100 K's in a season
Thoughts?

OB11

Quote from: DillyDilly on April 09, 2018, 11:37:58 am
Over 100 K's in a season
Thoughts?

With the implementation of the pitch count rules that may very well be true. You will see a few guys get to 10 wins still.

DillyDilly

yeah just will be tough with the limit on games. Coach would have to use a lot of strategy to put a player in position for 10 wins.

OB11

Quote from: DillyDilly on April 09, 2018, 11:48:46 am
yeah just will be tough with the limit on games. Coach would have to use a lot of strategy to put a player in position for 10 wins.

Deep runs in the state tournament would be about the only time you would see a player with 10+ wins.

DillyDilly

On the radio the other day that Connor Noland had struck out something like 75 of the 156 batters he had faced, giving him a shot at a 100 K's for the season. Wondering in the last 5 or 6 years what pitchers have reached that mark? Most dominant pitcher you have seen at each class level?

bleudog

DillyDilly

Pretty cool to see some of those numbers,
I wonder who is responsible for submitting those, I know the kid from Mayflower a few years ago struck out 24 in 2 games of the State Tournament.

southarkdaddy

51 Home runs for a career and 20 in a season from Jake Goodwin at Parkers Chapel will never be  beaten.  Bats the same. 

bleudog

Quote from: DillyDilly on April 25, 2018, 08:22:10 am
Pretty cool to see some of those numbers,
I wonder who is responsible for submitting those, I know the kid from Mayflower a few years ago struck out 24 in 2 games of the State Tournament.

That would be on pages 2 - 4.

bleudog

April 25, 2018, 08:50:12 am #9 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:57:21 am by bleudog
Most Wins, Career:
65 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82

Most Wins Consecutive, Career:
32 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-81
31 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1981-82

Most Shutouts, Career:
24 Kelly Owens (Junction City), 1979-81

Most No-hitters, Career:
10 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82

Most Strikeouts, Career:
680 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82

And yes, all those are at the top of their respective lists.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: bleudog on April 25, 2018, 08:50:12 am
Most Wins, Career:
65 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82

Most Wins Consecutive, Career:
32 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-81
31 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1981-82

Most Shutouts, Career:
24 Kelly Owens (Junction City), 1979-81

Most No-hitters, Career:
10 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82

Most Strikeouts, Career:
680 Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82

And yes, all those are at the top of their respective lists.

Wow.  Is this Stan's younger brother?  Where did Kelly play in college?

bleudog

April 25, 2018, 10:51:03 am #11 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:28:53 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on April 25, 2018, 10:36:09 am
Wow.  Is this Stan's younger brother?  Where did Kelly play in college?

NLULM. (University of Louisiana at Monroe which at the time was Northeast Louisiana University) I don't know that he stayed with baseball there. I'm not sure if his college career ended due to injury or loss of interest.

I'm also not sure about the connection to Stan.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were related though. 

I think Stan and Stan's son both won state baseball championships during their respective times at JC.

I forgot to mention I think four of Kelly's Arkansas records are (or at least at one time were) also national records. 

T-Bone

Quote from: DillyDilly on April 09, 2018, 11:37:58 am
Over 100 K's in a season
Thoughts?

Yes there is another in NE Arkansas.  Sophomore year over 100 K.  This year's Junior year he actually has a chance to put up more than 100.  Might not be easy but it could happen.  Depends on depth into conference and state play.  Around 87 K to date this year.  Funny part is I love to see K's but I'd just as well see 3 ground outs using the three pitches it takes to make a K.  When you can get those ground outs and fly outs you are a team and not a one man show.  Pitching is my favorite but it always feels good to see a team step up for your pitchers. 

bleudog

April 25, 2018, 04:14:32 pm #13 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:42:57 pm by bleudog
Quote from: T-Bone on April 25, 2018, 04:05:10 pm
Yes there is another in NE Arkansas.  Sophomore year over 100 K.  This year's Junior year he actually has a chance to put up more than 100.  Might not be easy but it could happen.  Depends on depth into conference and state play.  Around 87 K to date this year.  Funny part is I love to see K's but I'd just as well see 3 ground outs using the three pitches it takes to make a K.  When you can get those ground outs and fly outs you are a team and not a one man show.  Pitching is my favorite but it always feels good to see a team step up for your pitchers. 

Crash Davis: Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.

;D

T-Bone

I love a good strikeout type game.  But what I was trying to get to is it is far better for your pitchers when it is a team win and not just a pitching win since it takes 3 strikes for a K and as little as one for a ground out or fly out.  Better for the team overall.

bleudog

Quote from: T-Bone on April 25, 2018, 04:22:44 pm
I love a good strikeout type game.  But what I was trying to get to is it is far better for your pitchers when it is a team win and not just a pitching win since it takes 3 strikes for a K and as little as one for a ground out or fly out.  Better for the team overall.

Some of us can do the math.

Most of us can laugh at a good movie line.

"So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK?"

;D

Wildcat_Booster

Quote from: bleudog on April 25, 2018, 10:51:03 am
NLULM. (University of Louisiana at Monroe which at the time was Northeast Louisiana University) I don't know that he stayed with baseball there. I'm not sure if his college career ended due to injury or loss of interest.

I'm also not sure about the connection to Stan.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were related though. 

I think Stan and Stan's son both won state baseball championships during their respective times at JC.

I forgot to mention I think four of Kelly's Arkansas records are (or at least at one time were) also national records.

And don't forget Gatorade National Player of the Year. Was on the Today show in NY after that. Ray Noble was the hardest thrower i had ever seen!!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: bleudog on April 25, 2018, 10:51:03 am

Thx

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas