• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP(BOYS): McGehee vs Drew Central FRI 2:30

Started by Brian G, March 04, 2018, 12:27:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

More info to come.

Ru96gg

I found on Facebook on the Arkansas Athletic Association page this statement today:

The 2018 Centennial Bank Basketball Finals Schedule will be released live on Facebook at 2:00pm.

Brian G

Basketball 2018

Ru96gg

ea cat

Owls hold a 3-1 game lead this year on the Pirates. Looking forward to a great game Friday.

Ru96gg

I’d like to see a great game as well.  One that keeps both sets of fans motivated and on the edge of their seats until the final buzzer sounds

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Ru96gg on March 04, 2018, 08:00:35 pm
I'd like to see a great game as well.  One that keeps both sets of fans motivated and on the edge of their seats until the final buzzer sounds
Mcgehee by 16

CTEPirateFan

The final score in the regional doesn't explain how close that game really was. This game should come down to the fourth quarter. The margin of victory has been trimmed each time the Owls win, so I expect it to be trimmed again or have a Pirate victory when the buzzer sounds. Glad to have this rivalry in the championship game and cannot wait to be there amongst all my DC family.

WPWells

Ru96gg

I’ll be there rooting for the Pirates. I feel they are ready for a win if they keep to their game plan. Win or lose...I’m really proud of what these young men have achieved this year.  I hope the game is clean and fair....and that whoever wins, keeps their civility and good sportsmanship and claims their title without a bunch of trash talk.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Ru96gg on March 05, 2018, 12:35:26 am
I'll be there rooting for the Pirates. I feel they are ready for a win if they keep to their game plan. Win or lose...I'm really proud of what these young men have achieved this year.  I hope the game is clean and fair....and that whoever wins, keeps their civility and good sportsmanship and claims their title without a bunch of trash talk.
+1

Eaglehawk535

beach bum

Good luck to both teams... Good to see a school like Drew Central make it this far and with what Mcgehee is doing right now along with what looks like more football success coming too this must be some loaded classes of athletes in general for the Owls. I have been on the DC bandwagon, but I'm going to lean Mcgehee in a low scoring win.... When you have played this many times in a season there is not much too hide and look for a grind it out, low scoring game. You never want to see a key player get in foul trouble, but in a game like this it could play even more of a factor if that happens to either team.

beach bum

Quote from: Eaglehawk535 on March 05, 2018, 11:56:35 am
Based on what??

You ever heard of a Magic Carpet Ride? I am not picking DC this game but there is some kind of magic going on right now they way they are playing and pulling out these close wins.... The best thing for Mcgehee is there is 6 days between the semifinals and finals. Imagine having to play Drew Central a day or two after their semifinal win the way they were riding on cloud 9.... At least some of the emotion has wore off.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: beach bum on March 05, 2018, 12:00:00 pm
You ever heard of a Magic Carpet Ride? I am not picking DC this game but there is some kind of magic going on right now they way they are playing and pulling out these close wins.... The best thing for Mcgehee is there is 6 days between the semifinals and finals. Imagine having to play Drew Central a day or two after their semifinal win the way they were riding on cloud 9.... At least some of the emotion has wore off.
I'd be much more impressed if they hadn't done it on their home floor against teams who'd never played there before.

TTownfan

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 05, 2018, 03:24:01 pm
I'd be much more impressed if they hadn't done it on their home floor against teams who'd never played there before.

C'mon CoolBreeze.  Haven't you watched Hoosiers?  The rims at DC are 10' from the floor and 15' from the F/T line just like any other gym. Do you have an advantage if you hold the tournament? Yes. Did HA try to get the tournament so they could have home court advantage? Yes. If HA would've hosted the tournament and made it to the finals would you still post what you posted above? I still get sick to my stomach replaying the shot that DC hit to send us home, but we simply didn't play good enough to beat them last Thursday. Simple as that. No excuses. It's time to move on and get ready for next year.  Good luck to DC and McGehee.  Should be a great game.

RTF

Jimbo Morphis

Ru96gg

You know, I was impressed with the never say die attitude of the Pirates. Each game they played, no matter how bad it might have seemed to those watching at times....these young men never gave up...literally down to the last second.  In my book, that makes them champions already. Win or lose, they have learned what dedication and intestinal fortitude can produce...even in the darkest of times, what it can achieve when hope seems to dwindle ( especially for those on the outside looking in). This is such a great thing for young men and students in general to learn.  It's a life lesson gained through competition called basketball.  Both coaches are helping to groom these young men for success in the future in the game called “life”.  Parents and fans get upset about outcomes in games. These young men learn from them.  Many in this area are already making plans to be there to watch the Pirates and Owls game.  If the finals game is anything like the tournament as a whole, this should be a really good game to watch.  I hope for good, clean and competitive play, good refs, healthy players who play up to and above their potential. Most of all, I hope no one is injured and that everyone can come away from this finals game with their heads held high no matter who wins. Not many have been able to tell their friends and children they played in the tournament championship game in Hot Springs.  These young men will be able to do that. I hope these past days, weeks, months and years have given these young men some special memories with their achievements, helped strengthen some friendships that will carry over far beyond high school. There are several Sophomores and Juniors on this team and hopefully they will have another successful season next year.  To the Seniors, it has been a heck of a run and you made it to where you hoped to be...now it's time to finish the job. Good luck to both teams.  But as a Pirate from many moons ago, I have to cheer for Drew Central.  Win or lose, I’ll always be a fan who supports the team.  Who’s ready for some Basketball?  Sorry this post was so long, everyone.

Paperman

I'm for anybody but Drew Central! Go Owls! Heck I'm friends with Chris Farrell! Go Owls!

Ru96gg

Just for the record paperman. These kids did nothing to you. Any gripes you had about Your experiences should have been taken up with the AAA officials there.  I don’t doubt some of your gripes are legit. These kids weren’t involved in it.   And yes, you have every right to cheer on the Owls or any other team.  You have a blessed day, sir

beach bum

Quote from: Ru96gg on March 05, 2018, 08:59:46 pm
Just for the record paperman. These kids did nothing to you. Any gripes you had about Your experiences should have been taken up with the AAA officials there.  I don't doubt some of your gripes are legit. These kids weren't involved in it.   And yes, you have every right to cheer on the Owls or any other team.  You have a blessed day, sir

+1

beach bum

Out of all the 14 title games this is the one I am most looking forward too...

ea cat

Got to go with the Owls. 4 games played with them averaging 10 more than the Pirates.

RedWolf275

Fatbackhawgballz

I pick DC in this one. It's very hard to beat a good team that many times in the same season. I think DC has had the tougher competition the last week and will be ready. I also think it will be a low scoring game. The stage is much bigger at Hot Springs. The walls are much farther from the goal. It will take some adjusting for the boys. It happened to us last year. By the time we adjusted EC had us down pretty good.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Outoftownfan on March 05, 2018, 04:41:35 pm
C'mon CoolBreeze.  Haven't you watched Hoosiers?  The rims at DC are 10' from the floor and 15' from the F/T line just like any other gym. Do you have an advantage if you hold the tournament? Yes. Did HA try to get the tournament so they could have home court advantage? Yes. If HA would've hosted the tournament and made it to the finals would you still post what you posted above? I still get sick to my stomach replaying the shot that DC hit to send us home, but we simply didn't play good enough to beat them last Thursday. Simple as that. No excuses. It's time to move on and get ready for next year.  Good luck to DC and McGehee.  Should be a great game.
Had HA been awarded the tournament, they would have hometown but not home court advantage. Since HA's gym is inadequate, the games would have been played at HU. HA has not played a game in HU's gym since the last time HA hosted the tournament, which I believe was 2011, when the current players were in elementary school.

Also, unlike DC posters, no one has claimed that HA had the state championship wrapped up at any time during the season.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Fatbackhawgballz on March 06, 2018, 10:28:10 am
I pick DC in this one. It's very hard to beat a good team that many times in the same season. I think DC has had the tougher competition the last week and will be ready. I also think it will be a low scoring game. The stage is much bigger at Hot Springs. The walls are much farther from the goal. It will take some adjusting for the boys. It happened to us last year. By the time we adjusted EC had us down pretty good.
Walls will not hurt Mcgehee's shooting.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Ru96gg on March 05, 2018, 05:36:53 pm
You know, I was impressed with the never say die attitude of the Pirates. Each game they played, no matter how bad it might have seemed to those watching at times....these young men never gave up...literally down to the last second.  In my book, that makes them champions already. Win or lose, they have learned what dedication and intestinal fortitude can produce...even in the darkest of times, what it can achieve when hope seems to dwindle ( especially for those on the outside looking in). This is such a great thing for young men and students in general to learn.  It's a life lesson gained through competition called basketball.  Both coaches are helping to groom these young men for success in the future in the game called "life".  Parents and fans get upset about outcomes in games. These young men learn from them.  Many in this area are already making plans to be there to watch the Pirates and Owls game.  If the finals game is anything like the tournament as a whole, this should be a really good game to watch.  I hope for good, clean and competitive play, good refs, healthy players who play up to and above their potential. Most of all, I hope no one is injured and that everyone can come away from this finals game with their heads held high no matter who wins. Not many have been able to tell their friends and children they played in the tournament championship game in Hot Springs.  These young men will be able to do that. I hope these past days, weeks, months and years have given these young men some special memories with their achievements, helped strengthen some friendships that will carry over far beyond high school. There are several Sophomores and Juniors on this team and hopefully they will have another successful season next year.  To the Seniors, it has been a heck of a run and you made it to where you hoped to be...now it's time to finish the job. Good luck to both teams.  But as a Pirate from many moons ago, I have to cheer for Drew Central.  Win or lose, I'll always be a fan who supports the team.  Who's ready for some Basketball?  Sorry this post was so long, everyone.
Started reading this last night. Finished today. Can't temember all of it but these kids are making memories they will never forget. Both teams have already won.

RedWolf275

Got to disagree Oldman. Nobody remembers the runnerups but the runnerups!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 06, 2018, 12:07:05 pm
Got to disagree Oldman. Nobody remembers the runnerups but the runnerups!
Dont be a goober, most people won't remember who won 2 years from now. I mean these players will remember playing for a State championship in Hot Springs for the rest of their lives.

Fatbackhawgballz

It's not just the fact that the gym is much bigger oldman. Has Mcgehee been on this stage before. It's a different atmosphere all around. It can be a bit much for thes 16, 17, and 18 year old kids. There's definitely an adjustment period. It's all about who makes the adjustments quicker. My post before was not a knock on either school. It all happened to us last year. We went from making a regional appearance the year before in 2a, to the finals of 3a the next. I would like to hear your feedback after the game. Let me know if you see a difference at least in the first half.

RedWolf275

Quote from: Oldman on March 06, 2018, 12:15:10 pm
Dont be a goober, most people won't remember who won 2 years from now. I mean these players will remember playing for a State championship in Hot Springs for the rest of their lives.

Don't think I've ever been called a goober! But apparently I do have a better memory than you do.

Ru96gg

I remember in 1975 when DC won the 2AA championship I believe it was.  Back then they had the over-all tournament in Hot Springs where the winners of all classes competed.  It was definitely a different environment and the kids were a bit overwhelmed by its size and the crowd.  I think DC as well as McGehee will be ok in this environment...both will probably take a couple of minutes to get past the "awe" but should settle down.  I have heard a couple of kids from both schools mention the fact that when there is no wall behind the goal causes them to a few problems with their shooting initially. I guess it has to do with perception of distance... and I agree with Fatbackhawgballz...I think whoever makes the adjustment better and faster will have an edge.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 06, 2018, 12:37:34 pm
Don't think I've ever been called a goober! But apparently I do have a better memory than you do.
Me thinks you're still missing my point.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Fatbackhawgballz on March 06, 2018, 12:32:25 pm
It’s not just the fact that the gym is much bigger oldman. Has Mcgehee been on this stage before. It’s a different atmosphere all around. It can be a bit much for thes 16, 17, and 18 year old kids. There’s definitely an adjustment period. It’s all about who makes the adjustments quicker. My post before was not a knock on either school. It all happened to us last year. We went from making a regional appearance the year before in 2a, to the finals of 3a the next. I would like to hear your feedback after the game. Let me know if you see a difference at least in the first half.
Won't hurt Mcgehee's shooting because our offense is mostly layups. We don't shoot well in small gyms.

Fatbackhawgballz

Quote from: Oldman on March 06, 2018, 01:35:47 pm
Won't hurt Mcgehee's shooting because our offense is mostly layups. We don't shoot well in small gyms.
I see. I didn't understand what you meant.

TTownfan

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 06, 2018, 11:28:54 am
Had HA been awarded the tournament, they would have hometown but not home court advantage. Since HA's gym is inadequate, the games would have been played at HU. HA has not played a game in HU's gym since the last time HA hosted the tournament, which I believe was 2011, when the current players were in elementary school.

Also, unlike DC posters, no one has claimed that HA had the state championship wrapped up at any time during the season.

Okay........If HA would've been awarded the tournament how many practices would HA have had at HU's gym before the state tournament? Answer....As many as possible!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

beach bum

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 06, 2018, 11:28:54 am

But what if they let the Harding University student section in to root for the high school team  ;D . That would have given Harding Academy too much of an advantage .... Anyone that has been to a Harding U basketball game will get this. I have been to a few Arkansas Tech vs Harding games. I imagine you have been to some too.

BoxNOne

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Outoftownfan on March 06, 2018, 05:00:48 pm
Okay........If HA would've been awarded the tournament how many practices would HA have had at HU's gym before the state tournament? Answer....As many as possible!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Likely answer zero. HU's women's team was still playing in the conference tourney until Sunday.So they would have needed the university gym. Even if HA wanted to use it.

CTEPirateFan

Heard a story about DC's 1984 championship team tonight and it's a reminder that anything can happen. DC played Hamburg five times that year and lost the first three. DC beat them in the finals of regionals and then in the state championship. All games before Friday mean nothing. Of course I want it to be DC, but if it's McGehee, good for them. I have the utmost respect for Coach Pace and what he has done with their program. In less than 48 hours we will have a new state champion! Get excited! Good luck to the Owls and GO PIRATES!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: CTEPirateFan on March 07, 2018, 09:43:04 pm
Heard a story about DC's 1984 championship team tonight and it's a reminder that anything can happen. DC played Hamburg five times that year and lost the first three. DC beat them in the finals of regionals and then in the state championship. All games before Friday mean nothing. Of course I want it to be DC, but if it's McGehee, good for them. I have the utmost respect for Coach Pace and what he has done with their program. In less than 48 hours we will have a new state champion! Get excited! Good luck to the Owls and GO PIRATES!

Ru96gg

TTownfan

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 07, 2018, 05:30:54 pm
Likely answer zero. HU's women's team was still playing in the conference tourney until Sunday.So they would have needed the university gym. Even if HA wanted to use it.

I guarantee you if HA would've been awarded the tournament they would've been in HU's gym practicing.  To say they wouldn't have is not being truthful. No matter if the Lady Bison were in the tournament or not they would've found a time to use it.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Outoftownfan on March 08, 2018, 05:48:41 am
I guarantee you if HA would've been awarded the tournament they would've been in HU's gym practicing.  To say they wouldn't have is not being truthful. No matter if the Lady Bison were in the tournament or not they would've found a time to use it.
That is an assumption without any evidentiary foundation.

TTownfan

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 08, 2018, 12:20:38 pm
That is an assumption without any evidentiary foundation.

It's an assumption based on the evidentiary foundation that HA has a dang good coach that is smart enough that he would find time to use the gym.  :D :D

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Outoftownfan on March 08, 2018, 12:57:41 pm
It's an assumption based on the evidentiary foundation that HA has a dang good coach that is smart enough that he would find time to use the gym.  :D :D
How about starting a Harding thread?

501Arkansas

If thus game was at DC I'll choice DC by 5, but this game isn't at DC I'll pick Mcgehee by 10+

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas