• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 1 - Monday, 2/26 to Saturday, 3/3 - Post Your Scores Here

Started by VHSCoach2, February 26, 2018, 09:30:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladyfan

Catholic Shamrock Cup:

Game 2: Catholic 2 Pulaski academy 1
Game 3: CAC 3 Pulaski academy 1

RazorDad

LRCA Tournament

VG Benton 6, Lakeside 1
VB Central 0, Lakeside 2

RazorDad

LRCA Tournament

Consolation games:

VG Lakeside 5, White Hall 1
VB Central 1, White Hall 0

Ladyfan

redsport27

I'm really curious... if anyone was at the boys White Hall and Central game at LRCA, can any of you explain Central's goal? I was very puzzled how a free kick was awarded when their player went down injured. I thought he just cramped up...

FutbolPhan

VHSCoach2

Vilonia boys' results from the NWA Classic:

Game 1: lost to Clarksville 6-2
Game 2: lost to Bentonville West 7-1
Game 3: lost to Putnam City (OK) 10-0

RazorDad

LRCA Tournament

Championship games:

VG Benton 1, LRCA 2
VB Lakeside 2, LRCA 1

pantherdad

RazorDad

Quote from: redsport27 on March 03, 2018, 08:12:24 pm
I'm really curious... if anyone was at the boys White Hall and Central game at LRCA, can any of you explain Central's goal? I was very puzzled how a free kick was awarded when their player went down injured. I thought he just cramped up...

I think the AR saw a foul off the play, not sure though.

redsport27

Quote from: RazorDad on March 03, 2018, 10:27:52 pm
I think the AR saw a foul off the play, not sure though.
Maybe so. I heard someone say the player went down hurt and therefore the correct restart was an indirect free kick. I honestly thought it was a drop ball, but even in that case, it probably should've been a courtesy kick back.

chaoslord

Quote from: redsport27 on March 04, 2018, 08:47:25 am
Maybe so. I heard someone say the player went down hurt and therefore the correct restart was an indirect free kick. I honestly thought it was a drop ball, but even in that case, it probably should've been a courtesy kick back.

In NFHS, if there is clear possession by a team when play is stopped for injury, the restart is an indirect free kick for the team in possession. This is different from club ball where the restart is a drop ball. The idea behind this is to give the referee more ability, for lack of a better word, to stop the game and to not take away a good attacking chance for a team if they choose to be sporting.

For example from a club game, if a team starts an attack as a player on the other team goes down with a cramp, the referee is now in a tough spot practically. The Laws of the Game only mandate stopping play for a serious injury. If you're super sure it's just a cramp, there's no reason to stop. But now you will have at least one coach and a bunch of fans yelling at the referee about a player being down. One of the teams may let up and start yelling that, too. Now you're in the shoes of the attacking team.  You can choose to play the ball out, sure, but it robs you of the chance to run their attack through no fault of your own. The drop ball the ball is going to be kicked back to a goal keeper most likely and everything is going to get reset. And if a goal is scored while a defensive player is down due to a cramp? Whoo boy, there are a lot of unhappy people and that can lead the game to start going sideways even though the referee did everything correct by the Laws and even though the attacking team did nothing wrong by continuing to attack. And if the defensive player hops up right after you stop play? Now the attacking team is mad because they've lost their attack over nothing.

By making the restart an indirect free kick, the NFHS powers that be are arming referees to be a little more proactive in dealing with these situations rather than letting the players sort it out. If I know "Yes, that's probably a cramp" and also "I am not going to really disadvantage the attacking team by stopping play since they'll get to keep the ball where it is now", I am more willing to stop play to check on the injury. It also means an attacking player doesn't have to make the tough decision of "Kick it out for something that may not be a big deal and kill this attack, or try to score a goal here" which can understandably be a tough decision especially as the season is getting near the end when making the playoffs/playoff seeding/a championship could all be on the line. It's pushing responsibility away from the kids and onto the adult.

That's the logic. I go back and forth on how I feel about it. My biggest issue is that application of the restart correctly is, well, haphazard. I still see a lot of referees giving drop balls in NFHS when there is a clear possession. Also in a high skill game, a free kick 30-40 yards from goal can be dangerous, so you may have just turned "attacking team has the ball on the wing but isn't really going anywhere" into "dangerous ball into the penalty area".

frotator888

Does anyone else know who won the penalty shootout between Catholic and Hall in that final, or if they just ended the game in a 0-0 draw instead?

Ladyfan

Quote from: frotator888 on March 04, 2018, 05:32:55 pm
Does anyone else know who won the penalty shootout between Catholic and Hall in that final, or if they just ended the game in a 0-0 draw instead?
Ended in a draw. No extra time, no KFTM.

Buck183

Quote from: chaoslord on March 03, 2018, 11:12:25 am
Cabot over Edmond was 2-1.

Bentonville West over Putnam 4-0 was the other result from yesterday

SS and Mt St Mary was a heck of a game. Hardest I've had to work in a VG game in a long long time. Lot of intelligent runs to try to break defense offside traps

Did you officiate this game? 

Not trying to bait you into anything.  Just being curious.  The Siloam girl's haven't had much time together on the field as a team prior to that game is why I asked.  I could tell they were still trying to find their groove with each other. 

chaoslord

Quote from: Buck183 on March 05, 2018, 01:07:54 am
Did you officiate this game? 

Not trying to bait you into anything.  Just being curious.  The Siloam girl's haven't had much time together on the field as a team prior to that game is why I asked.  I could tell they were still trying to find their groove with each other.

I was AR on the parents side. That blows me away that they haven't had much time on the field yet. I was AR on the final last year and, while they were more in sync offensively there, I don't remember having to make that many tight offside decisions and my tracker had me at a higher rate for distance on Friday, although maybe that was poor satellite reception in Centerton. But they played a lot more directly than I remembered from May. Had a lot of fun on that one.

Buck183

Quote from: chaoslord on March 05, 2018, 08:10:48 am
I was AR on the parents side. That blows me away that they haven't had much time on the field yet. I was AR on the final last year and, while they were more in sync offensively there, I don't remember having to make that many tight offside decisions and my tracker had me at a higher rate for distance on Friday, although maybe that was poor satellite reception in Centerton. But they played a lot more directly than I remembered from May. Had a lot of fun on that one.

Interesting.  Thank you for the reply. 

Three of the returning starters hadn't practiced or played with the team until practice the night before that game.  Two were in basketball until Wednesday the striker has been out with a banged up knee for three weeks. 

jimmyt

Quote from: WillC on March 02, 2018, 11:27:00 pm
Varsity Girls

Sylvan Hills 0-4 Batesville

Varsity Boys

Sylvan Hills 2-3 Batesville

On maxpreps it shows Sylvan beat Batesville 3-2??

WillC

WillC

Quote from: jimmyt on March 05, 2018, 02:54:32 pm

On maxpreps it shows Sylvan beat Batesville 3-2??

Maxpreps is incorrect. Batesville scored the gamewinner on a GK bobble.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas