• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1A 2-South District Tournament at Midland

Started by BasketballNeverStops, February 02, 2018, 12:47:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BasketballNeverStops

February 02, 2018, 12:47:46 am Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:07:54 pm by BasketballNeverStops
Monday, February 12
#5 Shirley vs. #8 Midland, 4:00 (Sr. Girls)
#5 West Side vs. #8 Rural Special, 5:15 (Sr. Boys)
#6 Timbo vs. #7 Bradford, 6:30 (Sr. Girls)
#6 Bradford vs. #7 Bee Branch, 7:45 (Sr. Boys)

Tuesday, February 13
#3 Rural Special vs. Timbo/Bradford, 4:00 (Sr. Girls)
#3 Shirley vs. Bradford/SSBB, 5:15 (Sr. Boys)
#4 Bee Branch vs. Shirley/Midland, 6:30 (Sr. Girls)
#4 Timbo vs. West Side/Rural, 7:45 (Sr. Boys)

Thursday, February 15 (Semifinals)
#1 Concord vs. SSBB/Shirley/Midland, 4:00 (Sr. Girls)
#1 Concord vs. Timbo/West Side/Rural, 5:15 (Sr. Boys)
#2 West Side vs. Rural/Timbo/Bradford, 6:30 (Sr. Girls)
#2 Midland vs. Shirley/Bradford/SSBB, 7:45 (Sr. Boys)

Saturday, February 17 (Finals)
Girls Final, 6:00
Boys Final, 7:45

eamo8911

Is this the format for all district tournaments now?  When did it change from everyone plays first round (unless more than 8 teams)?

BannerChaser95

Quote from: eamo8911 on February 03, 2018, 02:33:51 pm
Is this the format for all district tournaments now?  When did it change from everyone plays first round (unless more than 8 teams)?
7West gives a bye to the 1 seed to the semifinals and the remining 6 play to fill the last 3 spots. Seems to fit with an odd number of 7 teams!

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: eamo8911 on February 03, 2018, 02:33:51 pm
For as long as I was in high school, the top two finishers got automatic byes into region, and all other teams had to advance to the semifinals to advance to region to join the top two seeds. In the 2-South, the three and four seeds going into region are based on higher seed after losing in the semis. The 5-North plays a third-place game to decide their three/four seeds. Also when I was in school, your conference record decided your seed in district. After I graduated, the introduction of combined conferences came along and that was thrown out the window. The coaches have a meeting and determine who the best teams are 1-8 and seed them that way, not focusing as much on record.

eamo8911

That's crazy to me!  Is this uniform now?  2 North was always based on conference finish AND 1 and 2 got byes since there were only 6 teams but 3 played 6 and 4 played 5.  When we were 2A and had 8 in a conference 1 played 8 and 2 played 7. 

My how things have changed in 10 years.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: eamo8911 on February 03, 2018, 07:58:40 pm
That's crazy to me!  Is this uniform now?  2 North was always based on conference finish AND 1 and 2 got byes since there were only 6 teams but 3 played 6 and 4 played 5.  When we were 2A and had 8 in a conference 1 played 8 and 2 played 7. 

My how things have changed in 10 years.

No, this is not uniform.  Each conference chooses how they seed and play the tournament.

ballmember

I have heard 2 south district schedule has changed, no Saturday games?  Hope we get an update. 

BlueDevilFan

Yes they had to change it due to ACT testing, here is a link to brackets I hope they work.

https://www.facebook.com/shirleybluedevilsports/posts/1966953189985521

BasketballNeverStops

I updated my original post on the schedule.

BannerMountainMan

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 12, 2018, 06:16:55 pm
Girls: 5Shirley 65 8Midland 56
Don't be surprised to see Shirley contend with South Side. We barely beat Bigelow the other night and are playing with a lack of chemistry.

BannerMountainMan

riccoar

#6 Timbo vs. #7 Bradford, 6:30 (Sr. Girls)
#6 Bradford vs. #7 Bee Branch, 7:45 (Sr. Boys)

Timbo      29
Bradford   15

Bradford   59
SSBB       45

riccoar

Tuesday, February 13

#3 Rural Special vs. #6 Timbo,  4:00 (Sr. Girls)

#3 Shirley vs.  #6 Bradford,  5:15 (Sr. Boys)

#4 Bee Branch vs. #5 Shirley,  6:30 (Sr. Girls)

#4 Timbo vs. #5 West Side,   7:45 (Sr. Boys)

BannerMountainMan

Shirley beats Bradford and Southside beats Shirley girls

riccoar

Thursday, February 15 (Semifinals)

#1 Concord vs. #4 South Side BB,   4:00 (Sr. Girls)

#1 Concord vs. #4 Timbo,  5:15 (Sr. Boys)

#2 West Side vs. #3 Rural, 6:30 (Sr. Girls)

#2 Midland vs. #3 Shirley,  7:45 (Sr. Boys)

This also makes up the qualifiers for Regional.

JimmyChitwood

Well our girls made regionals! But it will end short as we will have to play Mount Vernon or Wonderview lol

SackAttack

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on February 14, 2018, 08:59:42 am
Well our girls made regionals! But it will end short as we will have to play Mount Vernon or Wonderview lol
Not so fast my friend!! Still have to play Concord! I was at the game where SS led the majority of game before  Concord ending up winning by 6 I believe! Southside might have their number!! Saw lots of room for growth in the Bees from Bee Branch

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: SackAttack on February 14, 2018, 10:44:23 am
Not so fast my friend!! Still have to play Concord! I was at the game where SS led the majority of game before  Concord ending up winning by 6 I believe! Southside might have their number!! Saw lots of room for growth in the Bees from Bee Branch
Lol but we still made regionals the top 4 district teams make regionals basketball genius.

thebigman3

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on February 14, 2018, 12:58:37 pm
Lol but we still made regionals the top 4 district teams make regionals basketball genius.
He claims to be a basketball genius anyway lol not showing there

Eagle_Mom_2

February 14, 2018, 01:22:46 pm #21 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:37:43 pm by Eagle_Mom_2

Well I'm not a genius but I think I'm smart enough to understand simple context when reading. He was saying they could make district finals and therefore, be a higher seed and not have to play wonderview or mve.
Wasn't saying they wouldn't make regionals. Or at least not how I read it. Nice try though. Maybe move your loyalties back to Shirley.

BannerChaser95

I'm pretty sure Sack was saying "Not so fast my friends" -Lee Corso. As in don't assume bee branch will be losing to concord to just become a 3-4 seed... buttttt this ain my fight 😂

BannerMountainMan

I agree with what sack said, he was stating they can make a higher seed because he thinks Southside can play with concord

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 14, 2018, 01:36:57 pm
I agree with what sack said, he was stating they can make a higher seed because he thinks Southside can play with concord
Exactly what I was saying Banner!! Thank you! Some of those guys and once again with Jiminy Cricket Chitwood being one cant read right readin! He always reads right readin wrong when it was wrote right in the first place

SackAttack

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jimmy ::) ::)

JimmyChitwood

February 14, 2018, 04:48:22 pm #26 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:59:35 pm by JimmyChitwood
Quote from: thebigman3 on February 14, 2018, 01:07:37 pm
He claims to be a basketball genius anyway lol not showing there
I don't know why you don't like me. I vouch for Guy and Hutchcraft a lot of times when everyone else id bashing you. Remember that. As for eagle woman, go back to the camper trailer and smoke a black'n mild to calm down your eagles are worse than our Hornets. I do not think that we will beat Concord. As far as overall athletic talent, I think we are a little better than them. However, they have Keith Cornett on the sidelines. We have Greg Bradford. That is like Mike Anderson coaching against Coach K. Lopsided. They are taught how to win, what to do in every scenario while our girls just kind of go out there and do the best their parents have tought them which leads to some selfish play especially by the three seniors. But I dont blame them, they haven't been taught any better by a knowledgeable, enthusiastic coach who is not just there for the check. I'm really surprised we made regionals by looking at our team. But like I have said we will lose to Concord by about 17. I do not claim to be a basketball genius. I love the game and have studied it all of my life asking questions to knowledgeble coaches and players to understand more and more about it. I understand that I have much more to learn about the game and keep an open mind to new schemes and strategies. I hope we beat Concord I really do. It would be fun to go to Mowtown to watch our girls play in state. But I am extremely doubtful. And eagle mom, ask Banner if I am really a Southside fan or a Shirley fan. He will confirm my loyalties to South Side. They were not in the hunt for anything last year so I rooted for Shirley where I have multiple friends and family members Banner being a friend.

SackAttack

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on February 14, 2018, 04:48:22 pm
I don't know why you don't like me. I vouch for Guy and Hutchcraft a lot of times when everyone else id bashing you. Remember that. As for eagle woman, go back to the camper trailer and smoke a black'n mild to calm down your eagles are worse than our Hornets. I do not think that we will beat Concord. As far as overall athletic talent, I think we are a little better than them. However, they have Keith Cornett on the sidelines. We have Greg Bradford. That is like Mike Anderson coaching against Coach K. Lopsided. They are taught how to win, what to do in every scenario while our girls just kind of go out there and do the best their parents have tought them which leads to some selfish play especially by the three seniors. But I dont blame them, they haven't been taught any better by a knowledgeable, enthusiastic coach who is not just there for the check. I'm really surprised we made regionals by looking at our team. But like I have said we will lose to Concord by about 17. I do not claim to be a basketball genius. I love the game and have studied it all of my life asking questions to knowledgeble coaches and players to understand more and more about it. I understand that I have much more to learn about the game and keep an open mind to new schemes and strategies. I hope we beat Concord I really do. It would be fun to go to Mowtown to watch our girls play in state. But I am extremely doubtful.
I don't dislike you and I care not one lick who bashed me or for what reason! And my intent was to point out in the postseason anything can happen!!

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: SackAttack on February 14, 2018, 04:58:52 pm
I don't dislike you and I care not one lick who bashed me or for what reason! And my intent was to point out in the postseason anything can happen!!
Agree with you sack on the fact that anything can happen. I misread your post.

BannerMountainMan

You can hop back on the Shirley train they might actually win a game in regionals and make state, but that's about it

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 14, 2018, 05:15:50 pm
You can hop back on the Shirley train they might actually win a game in regionals and make state, but that's about it
Yeah neither of our teams are too good this year.

Catfish

Is there going to be anyone at the games tonight who can keep us posted?

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: Catfish on February 15, 2018, 03:08:46 pm
Is there going to be anyone at the games tonight who can keep us posted?
Concord girls beat South Side girls 61-51.

riccoar

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: riccoar on February 15, 2018, 07:01:09 pm
Concord boys lose to Timbo
concord played HORRIBLE, can't make excuses that game

Catfish

hooperfromwestside

begpmat

they will be 3 seed so will play number 2 seed out of other district

Fleaflicker

Sandbagging by chance? The way this season went I'd have thought concord would roll thru district. And yes I think Cornett would do this if he thought it would benefit tthem.

BannerChaser95

February 15, 2018, 09:23:41 pm #39 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:14:03 pm by BannerChaser95
Quote from: Fleaflicker on February 15, 2018, 09:11:00 pm
Sandbagging by chance? The way this season went I'd have thought concord would roll thru district. And yes I think Cornett would do this if he thought it would benefit tthem.
I don't see how this benefits concord at all not being a 1 seed and playing the 4th best team in Wonderview. But if he feels playing Guy/MVE is his best opportunity then by all means go for it. But you can't tell me somethings not up beating them like red head step child's both times this season then losing by 6?  Fishy fishy.

HorseFeathers

Maybe he's banking on MVE losing....and it seems Concord owns MVE in region games...

BannerMountainMan

Shirley 60 Midland 48, Shirley was up by 25 but let them make a big run

ballmember

They didn't make a run Shirley missed way too many free throws.   Shirleys deliberate offense beat them in the first half and they could never get their shooter going.   He was being guarded.    Boring game for some fans  but the win is a win.  Moving on. 

thebigman3

I for one did not have Timbo winning or Shirley winning tonight. I'm sure there isn't much that did either.

riccoar

Cornett tried the stall with a 1 point lead and lost. Timbo was forced to foul to get them to 1-1 and Concord missed front end and Timbo never looked back. Loved seeing him lose by being a puss.

thebigman3

Quote from: riccoar on February 15, 2018, 10:43:30 pm
Cornett tried the stall with a 1 point lead and lost. Timbo was forced to foul to get them to 1-1 and Concord missed front end and Timbo never looked back. Loved seeing him lose by being a puss.
whats bad is I was going to go but said "oh man I already know who's winning"  and guess what... neither team won who I thought! 😂

SackAttack

Quote from: riccoar on February 15, 2018, 10:43:30 pm
You are a total idiot!!

BasketballNeverStops

February 16, 2018, 12:42:40 am #47 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:23:16 am by BasketballNeverStops
Quote from: SackAttack on February 15, 2018, 11:08:53 pm
You are a total idiot!!
That has to be one of the most absolute disgusting posts I have ever seen on this site.

SportsFan5

Say what you want but Timbo played with a purpose tonight. They have always given Concord a run for their money. Timbo's #31 wanted that win tonight and he played like it. Concord just got out played.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on February 16, 2018, 12:42:40 am
That has to be one of the most absolute disgusting posts I have ever seen on this site.
Rico's post?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas