• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-2A Playoff Predictions Week 11

Started by stuck in between, November 06, 2017, 01:49:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stuck in between

With the regular season over and the bottom teams in each conference trading in their pads and cleats for gym shoes and basketballs it is the time of the year when the number of schools still playing football gets smaller and smaller each Friday night. Congratulations to all the teams that made it to post season play. With the Triple A seeing that it is necessary to take five teams from each conference it does tend to make for some lopsided games the first round. However, occasionally a four seed will catch a two seed napping and the three seeds going head to head usually makes for some pretty competitive games. Generally, one will find themselves paired with a team from the opposite end of the state which not only means a long bus ride, but also playing a team that you are unfamiliar with. This can make it difficult to predict the winners and losers but, I thought I would give it a shot.

Mount Ida Vs. Des Arc – The Lions are the only team in the 2-A classification to not have a loss this season. Truth be told they have yet to be tested. Their defense only gives up an average of 7.5 points per game while their offense has put enough points on the board to secure six mercy rule victories. They are far from flashy, but almost impossible to stop and rarely do they make a mistake. Having only missed the playoffs twice since 2001 Mount Ida can add experience to the already long list of ingredients they have in preparation to make a long playoff run. Des Arc finds themselves in some unfamiliar territory entering the playoff picture with a 4-5 record and occupying the number 5 spot in the 6-2A. Nevertheless, they continue their post season stretch to 13 consecutive years. Like at most school's talent runs in cycles and Des Arc is experiencing a time where talent is not on their side. They will be back, but this year they will have an early exit. Mount Ida by 28.

Foreman Vs. Clarendon -  The Gators enter post season averaging forty points per game while giving up a little under eleven. Their defense has pitched three shut outs while their offense has secured seven mercy rule wins for their overall 8-1 record. The only misstep so far for the Gators came in week seven against defending state champion Mount Ida. The 2017 post season will make only the sixth trip Foreman has made since 2001. Baring a total melt down Foreman seems to have its best chance at making a playoff run since their 2006 season. Clarendon (4-5) represents the fourth seed from the 2A-6. After a slow start the Lions have put together three straight wins where they have outscored their opponents by an average of forty points. However, those opponents share a total of six wins. This will be the Lions first trip to the playoffs since 2011. Competition stiffens this week for them. There is a lot of chatter about this one on another thread, but common sense tells me the Gators take this one by 17.

Palestine Wheatley Vs. Mountain Pine – This is another one of those contest between two three seeds I mentioned earlier. The Patriots finished the regular season with a very respectable 7-2 record. Their only losses coming against McCrory and Hazen where the score indicates they were handled fairly easily. Like Foreman this year will be PW's second consecutive post season prior to last year the Patriots were defeated by Mountain Pine in 2009 in a first round game. Mountain Pine has enjoyed its most successful regular season since that 2009 campaign. After starting the season with a blowout loss to 3A Jessieville the Red Devils rattled off seven straight wins, but then ran into a brick wall their last two games. Mountain Pine has struggled against the good teams on defense having given up 98 points in the last two games, but has shown that they can put points on the board as well averaging 35.4 for the season. This will be their first appearance in post season since 2011. This one could go either way, but since I must pick a winner I'll go with Palestine Wheatley at home by 3.

Mineral Springs Vs. Hampton -  This one is my upset of the week. The 4th seed Hornets put an end to a three-year playoff drought and have improved greatly since the first of the season and appear to have everything going their way. After losing the first five they have gone on to win four of their last five three of which were shutout mercy rule victories. At this stage in the game I'm fairly certain they are the third best team in the conference. The defense has stepped up as of late only giving up an average of seven points over the past four games.  Hampton is out to prove that they were not just a one hit wonder last year. The 3rd seed from the almighty eight only has three losses all of which came from teams that should be playing late into November, but those losses left little doubt that there is some separation between the top two in the eight and the rest. The Bulldogs have not performed well on offense this year only averaging 27 points per game while giving up 22. This is another one that could go either way, but something tells me Mineral sneaks out of Calhoun county with a win Friday night. Going with the Hornets by 1.

Marked Tree Vs. Spring Hill – No disrespect to Spring Hill fans intended, but I can't see this one being a game. Last week's outing by the Bears showed to me they were just happy making the playoffs. I'm sorry, but I'm going with the Indians by 21+.

Eslim03

I think the pine wins at PW but it definitely could go either way. Mineral and Hampton can either way also but pulling for the hornets. The other three you have right in my opinion. I enjoy reading this every week thanks for taking the time and effort.

ak58

Thank you for doing this every week. You put hootens to shame! You hit the nail on the head about SH this week. Very disappointed in their showing aginast mineral.

monster_island

One of your best weeks of the year. Good analysis. Good predictions.

couch-coach06

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas