• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Take a knee

Started by no mascot, September 23, 2017, 08:09:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

no mascot

I believe the concept that when a player is hurt every kid must take a knee or is being disrespectful needs to be reexamine. I've witnessed parents in the stands screaming at players on their team or the opposing for walking around or getting water. Upset over sitting and stretching, and appalled that they're talking to the person next to them. I don't believe that I have ever once seen a kid express excitement over an injury to a teammate or opponent. But these kids are still in a heightened and competitive mental state. To get out of that mindset could be dangerous for them personally. I'm not saying kids should be allowed to overtly be rude to a fellow player in distress. I do think, however, that they shouldn't be forced to focus solely on a player that has just been injured.

Lions84

We still do down here where I am at but is seems to be dying out!

Old Scrapper

This is a subject that no one will agree on, there are many ways to show respect to a injured player, taking a knee is one which I could care less if they do or not, my thing is back away at least 20 yards and keep their mouth shut while a player is down.

dawgpound

They have to stay lose and focused but be respectful at the same time.   bc there is a momma and daddy that is scared for their kid at that time

HG Hornet

Quote from: dawgpound on September 23, 2017, 08:39:00 am
They have to stay loose and focused but be respectful at the same time.   bc there is a momma and daddy that is scared for their kid at that time
I agree with that.   

no mascot

I do too. I think some kids get freaked out by injury and don't want to watch them get treated. Don't need to be silly or celebratory. Don't know if I've ever seen a kid act overtly inappropriate.

FoxandHound34

From what I hear their was a player seriously hurt last night at a game in 2A, and the whole time he was getting attention the other reams fans and players were hooping and hollering about how he got his block knocked off and the fans were making comments about it after the game last night. If true those people ought to be ashamed of themselves

BlueCrew4U

It was not a good scene.  I won't point fingers because it's pointless but it did not look good.

FoxandHound34

Quote from: BlueCrew4U on September 23, 2017, 10:05:11 am
It was not a good scene.  I won't point fingers because it's pointless but it did not look good.
PC Hampton game is not the one I'm talking about BlueCrew

no mascot

Nobody can control the fans. Players & school personnel is different. Football can be brutal. Crushing blows are always expected to be celebrated. Doesn't condone the continued celebration once they realize an injury has occurred though. I think it's just as disrespectful though for a parent of the affected team to be screaming onto the field or toward the opposing sideline. It's still unneeded noise that medical personnel have to work through. And parents have to listen to, adding undue stress.

gooze55

bluecrew did your team win last night

bobthebuilder

I was in attendance at a 2a game last night where an opposing player was injured...the crowd around me was both respectful and genuinely concerned...multiple prayers were heard.  I also read on facebook later where our children were headhunters and we're coached to be that way...a lot of these comments came from people who were not at the game.  I go to all the games, I'm at most practices, I know the kids and most of their parents...they are not headhunters, nor are they coached to be.  They are competitive and they have spent the last 2 years being constantly harrassed on social media as being thugs, degenerates, cheaters and whiners...they are none of those things...they are kids...just kids.  It's a tough game, and I'm not referring to football.  The social media game is much tougher.  On person can make a post about a team in the worst way, and people don't even check facts...just comment and share and by the time it's 3 or 4 times removed from the original post, the statements get meaner and the shares get more numerous. Kind of like the "this guy beat a puppy, let's make him famous" posts...3 days later we are calling for this guy's execution and we don't even know he did that.  I will say most of these posters on here are pretty level headed and fact check...Facebook is different.  I've said it before...I don't make excuses, I don't do a lot of trash talk, and I never....never talk badly of children...mine or yours.  If these tags are chains our boys will have to wear their entire high school career, I guess they will wear them, but it doesn't change the game plan.

no mascot

dawgpound

BlueCrew4U

Quote from: gooze55 on September 23, 2017, 10:30:50 am
bluecrew did your team win last night

No they did not.  They got outplayed by a dang fine Hampton team.

nobody

Hermitage had a player airlifted to ACH last night with a head injury. Both teams were visibly shaken by the incident and were very respectful. I've seen other teams huddle and go on with business as usual while a player is down on the field. That is 100% on the coaches.

dawgpound

Any word on how he is doing

Hogjr

There have been multiple teams with multiple head injury type things occur over the last two weeks. Lots of prayers for all athletes. It's football, yes, but it's also someone's baby out there. I will lift this kid up and his family in my prayers.

nobody

Quote from: dawgpound on September 23, 2017, 10:01:16 pm
Any word on how he is doing
he had surgery to relieve the pressure and is in a medically induced coma at this time. This is the last word I have on the situation.

dawgpound

Got a name so can add to prayer list

mtindian42

take a knee. if its just a cramp I don't have a problem with guys standing up and stayin loose. if its more of a serious issue. take a knee for sure cause that could be you laying there next time.

bigworm

We had a kid taken out on a flatboard friday night. It was so quiet in the place you could hear the emts talking to each other. With that being said the coach from the opposing team was whining after the penalty was called about how the Refs were (putn on a show). There should have been several more targeting penalties called as his kids lead with the crown constantly. I dont think its a matter of coaches teaching kids to do this. I think its a matter of coaches failing to teach the fundamental way to tackle which put both players in danger.

N2DEEP

Quote from: bigworm on September 24, 2017, 12:21:42 pm
We had a kid taken out on a flatboard friday night. It was so quiet in the place you could hear the emts talking to each other. With that being said the coach from the opposing team was whining after the penalty was called about how the Refs were (putn on a show). There should have been several more targeting penalties called as his kids lead with the crown constantly. I dont think its a matter of coaches teaching kids to do this. I think its a matter of coaches failing to teach the fundamental way to tackle which put both players in danger.

The coach was complaining because the player led with his shoulder but the running back ducked his head into the tackle and they collided head to head, and they ejected the player.

Watch games in both high school, college, and pro and you will see many lead with their head and or duck their head to make hits/ tackles (cornerbacks are the worst); and you will see the lack of fundamental tackling techniques is across the board not just one specific team. Go back and watch the films of past games and you will see it from every team at some point. I always lived by the moto of see what you are blocking and see who you are tackling to be sure and keep my head up

The players were at first excited for the big hit, but when they realized he was hurt they were moved away to allow plenty of space. As a fan and former player I do not care if people stand or take a knee. All I want is the teams to move away and let the emt's/ trainers do their job to take care of the student athlete. Now there should not be any hollering or taunting going on and that type of action is condemnable.

creamcheeze

Quote from: no mascot on September 23, 2017, 08:09:07 am
I believe the concept that when a player is hurt every kid must take a knee or is being disrespectful needs to be reexamine. I've witnessed parents in the stands screaming at players on their team or the opposing for walking around or getting water. Upset over sitting and stretching, and appalled that they're talking to the person next to them. I don't believe that I have ever once seen a kid express excitement over an injury to a teammate or opponent. But these kids are still in a heightened and competitive mental state. To get out of that mindset could be dangerous for them personally. I'm not saying kids should be allowed to overtly be rude to a fellow player in distress. I do think, however, that they shouldn't be forced to focus solely on a player that has just been injured.

Although unfortunate, it sounds like a free time out if you ask me. Have one coach examine the kid and another make adjustments.

AirWarren

Hate to hear this. I've worked in the icu's at ACH. Tough to see medically induced situations like this.

Prayers to the family and kid.

Can someone give me the name, I too would like to place on prayer list at our church.

Hogjr

Big worm im gonna disagree with you there buddy. The ref should have never told our coach he wasn't gonna eject our player and then come back and say "nah never mind he's out". As far as targeting or leading with the crown... our video shows diff. And maybe just maybe your players should keep their hands off other boys ball sacks. Kinda gross. Just nasty. There are more than one side to the story and from where I was sitting targeting happened on Englands side and they FAILED to call it. The inured player even tucked his head and lead with it when he went down. I'm so thankful that he's not seriously injured, but Ima call bull snot on your opinion of what went down.

AirWarren

Any new update on the young man from hermitage?

dawgpound

I haven't heard anything since yesterday

PurpleGold1

September 25, 2017, 07:51:19 pm #28 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:57:12 pm by PurpleGold1

old.dole

September 25, 2017, 08:11:39 pm #29 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:13:17 pm by old.dole
Wow!!!! That's sad. That's not from this year tho

eldofan

dawgpound

Nothing that should have been posted on here

old.dole

Kid made a Facebook post last year that he shouldn't have made. Hopefully he has matured since will take it down and I agree is not relevant to anything going on this year

Old Scrapper

Quote from: eldofan on September 25, 2017, 08:13:11 pm
I cant pull it up . What does it say ?
It's from September 2016, and it's Female drama.

bulldawg2016

Key word FEMALE! That's all you have to say!!

dawgpound

So much drama in the LBC, kinda hard being snoop d o double g

bulldawg2016

Quote from: dawgpound on September 26, 2017, 08:53:38 am
So much drama in the LBC, kinda hard being snoop d o double g

;D

sevenof400

For what it is worth - I just came across this thread ans will offer this thought - as a referee, when a situation emerges when a player is clearly hurt it is most often the case opposing players will show concern in some form.  That's fine.  But I also know that taking a knee for a prolonged period is not good for the uninjured players either.  Again, as a referee, I'll thank them for their concern and invite them back toward their own bench for water and/or to stay loose and confer with their coaches.  My main goal is to clear the area around the injured player so medical personnel do not have to work around a bunch of players on their knees in their way AND to separate the teams in case there might be a flare up of tempers.  Doing this, I've never heard any parent complaints from the stands (not that I would care if I did) but this seems to be the best solution at a time when focus needs to be on the injured player.

baseball13

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 26, 2017, 09:07:09 am
For what it is worth - I just came across this thread ans will offer this thought - as a referee, when a situation emerges when a player is clearly hurt it is most often the case opposing players will show concern in some form.  That's fine.  But I also know that taking a knee for a prolonged period is not good for the uninjured players either.  Again, as a referee, I'll thank them for their concern and invite them back toward their own bench for water and/or to stay loose and confer with their coaches.  My main goal is to clear the area around the injured player so medical personnel do not have to work around a bunch of players on their knees in their way AND to separate the teams in case there might be a flare up of tempers.  Doing this, I've never heard any parent complaints from the stands (not that I would care if I did) but this seems to be the best solution at a time when focus needs to be on the injured player.

+1

gooze55

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 26, 2017, 09:07:09 am
I HOPE EVERYBODY READ THIS NEED TO BE REPOSTED ALL WEEK    THANKS

Mike Bonds

September 26, 2017, 04:03:34 pm #40 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:07:09 pm by Mike Bonds

If players are getting water or otherwise trying take care of their own well-being/safety, then I don't think that's disrespectful.  That's probably best done on the sideline, though.  They should take care of those needs as quickly and quietly as they can.

PurpleGold1

The facebook link to the post that I shared in this thread is not from 2016. Its a football players post from September 22nd, 2017.. was that not just this past Friday?🤔 Anyways. Carry on.

nobody

Quote from: dawgpound on September 25, 2017, 07:40:31 pm
I haven't heard anything since yesterday
doing alot better. The team went to see him today.

dawgpound

We been lifting him up in our prayers

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas