• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle

Started by Sonofasonofasailor, September 03, 2017, 06:53:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonofasonofasailor

I met a Lonoke buddy at Carlisle Friday night and it wasn't pretty. I stole a peek at a game program that showed Carlisle had 22 on the roster (no surprise) but only 4 seniors and 10 sophomores. Not surprisingly, they couldn't compete physically with Lonoke, who has two backs well over 200 lbs and an obvious advantage in depth.  A lack of team speed was also apparent.  Opening with a 4A opponent is a challenge and they may be more competitive in their own classification but with that much youth, this could be a year of growing pains.   

HoopKing

Well I think that they are going to limp their way into the playoffs because the conference is terrible.  The bigger problem in the program is that they have to combine 7th grade into the junior high team. They only have 14-15 8th/9th graders.  There are more kids in the boys basketball than football.

Big Dave

I don't see the conference as being weak. Not when you have a stout Des Arc team, McCrory and then a young and talented Hazen team. Yes, we had a couple injuries the other night but I think we'll do more than "limp" or way into the playoffs.

BisonFan1

I was at the game and no, it was not pretty.  With that said, anyone who knows football could clearly see that our guys were simply outmatched across the board.  Lonoke is loaded with athletes:  size, speed, height, you name it...they have it.  Moving forward, it will be interesting to see how they fair when playing teams that are their equal in terms of depth and talent. 

Carlisle had 22 total players (compared to 50 + for Lonoke) and I think only 21 were dressed.  No doubt that is tough when the guy across from you is fresh.  We all would like to have higher numbers, but this is not just a "Carlisle" problem.  Many 2A teams are in the same boat. 

Second, and as someone mentioned, Carlisle only has four seniors which means they are relying on a lot of younger guys (much like Hazen last year).  In order for the Bison to be successful, those young guys are going to have to grow up quick and realize they aren't playing junior high ball anymore.  Finally, Carlisle will have to remain relatively healthy in order to be successful.  I know they had a few guys get banged up Friday night; I haven't heard any updates, but hopefully they won't be out long. 

With all that being said, it was the first game and one, quite honestly, that they probably never had a shot of winning.  It is what it is.  Hopefully, this week, they can right the ship against a DeWitt team that they beat last year.  If they can do that, then they will have two weeks to prepare for their showdown with DA at home, due to Augusta canceling their season.  I still think we can be competitive this year and finish top four in the conference.  At this point, though, I think it is McCrory and every one else.  The DA/McCrory matchup this week will tell a lot.  Should be interesting to see how it all plays out in the 6-2A. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HoopKing on September 03, 2017, 07:47:50 pm
Well I think that they are going to limp their way into the playoffs because the conference is terrible.  The bigger problem in the program is that they have to combine 7th grade into the junior high team. They only have 14-15 8th/9th graders.  There are more kids in the boys basketball than football.

I'm not overly familiar with Carlisle basketball but have those big numbers resulted in a winning program? 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on September 04, 2017, 12:19:16 am
I was at the game and no, it was not pretty.  With that said, anyone who knows football could clearly see that our guys were simply outmatched across the board.  Lonoke is loaded with athletes:  size, speed, height, you name it...they have it.  Moving forward, it will be interesting to see how they fair when playing teams that are their equal in terms of depth and talent. 

You are right about being outmatched.  Those two backs from Lonoke are big, strong kids and tough to tackle.  I know Lonoke-Carlisle is an old time rivalry but this isn't the 1970's.  Times have changed and the gap between a 4A and 2A school showed.  Carlisle kids appeared to play hard (#63 stood out to me) but they were simply outgunned.  I think years ago Carlisle and Cabot played annually but for obvious reasons, that had to change.  Seems like it may be time for the same to happen to Carlisle v. Lonoke. 

HoopKing

They just started playing again last year after an almost 30 year break without playing.  Basketball hasn't been successful in about 5-6 years but really football hasn't been either.

Ventman

Carlisle will have to stay healthy or it's going to be a long hard year. Hope they will and win a lot games. Good luck Bison!

HoopKing

From what I hear they may have lost two players Friday night

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HoopKing on September 06, 2017, 02:50:30 pm
From what I hear they may have lost two players Friday night

Heard that one is gone for the year due to an ACL. 

big E

That's not good news.

BisonFan1

Hate to hear that.  Injuries are tough to overcome, especially when you only have 22 players to begin with.  I hope those that are injured have a speedy recovery.  Does anyone know the two that were injured?

Ventman

Tough times for the Bison if this is true. Hate to hear that.

HoopKing

3-6.  They will beat Brinkley Clarendon and Marvell. They will make the playoffs as a 5 seed.

Ventman

Quote from: HoopKing on September 08, 2017, 06:24:21 am
3-6.  They will beat Brinkley Clarendon and Marvell. They will make the playoffs as a 5 seed.
I would mark that Clarendon game down as a win just yet. They will have to play well to beat them.

MomaLion

Quote from: Ventman on September 08, 2017, 07:47:09 am
I would mark that Clarendon game down as a win just yet. They will have to play well to beat them.
Agree,  we are not a pushover by any means.

Big Dave

Kamryn Taylor.... Out till at least October
Drew Sanders... Out for season

HoopKing

Carlisle took another one on the chin last night. Lost 54-16 to Dewitt.  It could be a long year.  I am sticking with 2-3 wins but they have to win at least 3 to get into the playoffs.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HoopKing on September 09, 2017, 08:49:23 am
Carlisle took another one on the chin last night. Lost 54-16 to Dewitt.  It could be a long year.  I am sticking with 2-3 wins but they have to win at least 3 to get into the playoffs.

You seem to be enjoying their struggles.

FoxandHound34

September 09, 2017, 09:16:34 am #19 Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:58:20 am by FoxandHound34
What has happened to the Bison? They used to rule the Prairie now they are getting molly-whopped by Dewitt

Hawgpilot

Quote from: HoopKing on September 09, 2017, 08:49:23 am

Could be a really long year as DeWitt is a perennial "down" program.

BisonFan1

Quote from: FoxandHound34 on September 09, 2017, 09:16:34 am
What has happened to the Bison? They used to rule the Prairie now they are getting molly-whopped by Dewitt

Several things. 

1)  The Bison only dress 22 players and two of them are currently out (1 for the year and 1 for several weeks; both of which were key players).

2)  They are EXTREMELY young.  They had 12 seniors last year (which is a large senior class for Carlisle) and now they only have 4. 

3)  Many of their two-way starters are sophomores.

4)  Carlisle, overall, just isn't very athletic this year.  They have a little size, but their overall team speed is not very good.   

I said a few weeks ago that I thought we would be just like Hazen was last year.  If you remember, they were in the exact same position.  Much like Carlisle, they started out really slow, but as the year went on they got better and better.  I look for Carlisle to do the same.

Yes, we have had two lopsided losses, but remember they were both to 4A schools (Lonoke and DeWitt).  And while I know DeWitt is usually a cellar dweller in the 4A, they still have a numbers advantage and overall athletic advantage. 

I am hoping to see better results now that non-conference is out of the way and we will be playing on a more level playing field.  I think having this coming Friday off will help them and allow them to "circle the wagons" and regroup before their showdown with DA (who is also 0-2 at this point). 

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on September 09, 2017, 09:15:11 am
You seem to be enjoying their struggles.

I was thinking the same thing.  Not sure why a Carlisle fan would be rooting for the football team to do bad. 

HoopKing

Who said I was a Carlisle fan?

Lions84

Tough start for the Bison and the Lions.

BisonFan1

Quote from: HoopKing on September 09, 2017, 12:52:36 pm

You comment on all the Carlisle threads so I took that to mean you were a Carlisle fan.  Seems odd for someone to constantly post on a specific team's threads when they have no affiliation/interest in the school. 

Big Dave

Seems like he wants to hide behind the screen. I for one don't care if people know who I am. I am a proud supporter of the Bison, win or lose.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HoopKing on September 09, 2017, 12:52:36 pm

You may not be a fan but with your intricate knowledge of how many kids play basketball vs. football and the football injury situation, you are certainly an insider, maybe a school employee.   

Sonofasonofasailor

September 09, 2017, 06:04:40 pm #28 Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:23:48 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: FoxandHound34 on September 09, 2017, 09:16:34 am

While some schools can maintain year after year, talent at these sized schools is cyclical.  England is a good example.  They had some college level talent last year but got smoked 50-0 last night and are off to an 0-2 start.  Carlisle had a good run for several years but there are no Bo Weddles or the like on this year's roster.

Sonofasonofasailor

September 09, 2017, 06:06:56 pm #29 Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:31:57 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: Big Dave on September 09, 2017, 02:26:10 pm
Seems like he wants to hide behind the screen. I for one don't care if people know who I am. I am a proud supporter of the Bison, win or lose.

Good for you. 

keohog

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on September 09, 2017, 06:04:40 pm
While some schools can maintain year after year, talent at these sized schools is cyclical.  England is a good example.  They had some college level talent last year but got smoked 50-0 last night and are off to an 0-2 start.  Carlisle had a good run for several years but there are no Bo Weddles or the like on this year's roster.
Yes we was smoked by very good Junction City team. They would smoke most if not all the teams in 2A this year. Carlisle and England would still be playing but your previous head coach put a stop it. I still can't figure that one out.

FoxandHound34

Sounds like the Bison are afriad of the Lions

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: keohog on September 09, 2017, 10:19:21 pm
Yes we was smoked by very good Junction City team. They would smoke most if not all the teams in 2A this year. Carlisle and England would still be playing but your previous head coach put a stop it. I still can't figure that one out.

First, I couldn't tell you the name of the previous head coach since I don't live there.  However, being 2A schools in the same county, it does seem logical they would play.  Secondly, I wasn't taking a shot at England, just using it as an example of how quickly the talent levels can change at smaller schools. 

Cheek

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on September 09, 2017, 06:04:40 pm

I don't know how England got drawn into this thread.  I think the guy is from Clarendon, so it would be the Clarendon Lions.  England got beat by a stacked McCrory team by about the same margin as Des Arc.  JC is the best team we will play all year, and they would walk through 2A.  50-0 was them being nice.  England has a good team and will win several games this year.   

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on September 10, 2017, 07:01:35 am
First, I couldn't tell you the name of the previous head coach since I don't live there.  However, being 2A schools in the same county, it does seem logical they would play.  Secondly, I wasn't taking a shot at England, just using it as an example of how quickly the talent levels can change at smaller schools.

I agree.  I think that would be a much better, more competitive matchup than Carlisle vs. Lonoke.  While I love that they have renewed the rivalry between the two, the fact is that the gap between the two is simply too big for it to be a competitive game.  Not to say Carlisle isn't capable of beating them (last year was actually a pretty good game) but more times than not, it's going to be runaway for Lonoke. 

Lions84

Yep I am from Clarendon and I hate to see a proud program like the scourge have a bad season.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Lions84 on September 11, 2017, 11:24:17 am
Yep I am from Clarendon and I hate to see a proud program like the scourge have a bad season.

You and me both.  Hopefully, having this week off will give everyone the chance to regroup before conference play kicks in next week.  I'm sure there will be a lot of film study going on, as there is plenty to correct after the last two performances. 

MomaLion

Quote from: Big Dave on September 09, 2017, 07:16:26 am
Kamryn Taylor.... Out till at least October
Drew Sanders... Out for season
Prayers for a complete recovery.

Big Dave

Drew had surgery today. ACL and meniscus fixed. PT starts Monday.

Ventman

Quote from: Big Dave on September 21, 2017, 05:50:04 pm
Prayers for a speedy recovery

BisonFan1

Quote from: Big Dave on September 21, 2017, 05:50:04 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Drew.  Any word on Taylor and how he is progressing?

MomaLion

Continued prayers for quick and complete healing.

Big Dave

Last I've heard on Kam was Oct 3 but they wasn't set in stone. He would be a big help for the struggling Bison.

BisonDuo

I think it is time for the Uhiren experiment to be over.  The old guard in town wanted him, but the results are not good.  I am not talking about just on the field.  From what I can tell the kids don't respect him.  I also hear that he had an altercation on the bus where another player hit a teammate and nobody was punished.  He is trying to play old school power football with these kids.  I was at the game Friday night where his offense only had first downs on penalties.  At this rate they might win 3 games and make the playoffs to get blasted.  The ironic thing is that if you take away the forfeit situation, Jack Keith won 4 games on the field every year and that wasn't good enough for people around here.

TNT43012

Quote from: BisonDuo on October 09, 2017, 06:09:18 am
I think it is time for the Uhiren experiment to be over.  The old guard in town wanted him, but the results are not good.  I am not talking about just on the field.  From what I can tell the kids don't respect him.  I also hear that he had an altercation on the bus where another player hit a teammate and nobody was punished.  He is trying to play old school power football with these kids.  I was at the game Friday night where his offense only had first downs on penalties.  At this rate they might win 3 games and make the playoffs to get blasted.  The ironic thing is that if you take away the forfeit situation, Jack Keith won 4 games on the field every year and that wasn't good enough for people around here.

Tell me the one thing that has changed from last year to this year? The kids. The kids won't respect Uhiren. The seniors last year had tons of respect for that man and did everything they asked him to. That man needs to be respected and he expects. He is a coach. Every coach deserves to be respected. They do not get paid enough and are taking time out of their days to help turn these boys into young men. The 12 seniors last year respected Uhiren and had the same drive to win as he did. Those seniors led. Every single one of those seniors was a captain. You saw it on the field and at practice. The problem is respect and kids running there mouths when they get yelled at and then getting all in their feelings and not wanting to perform cause they got in trouble.

bigworm

If that's the case, it's not a coaching prob. It's a home prob. There may be too many of those kids that never do anything wrong.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: bigworm on October 10, 2017, 10:01:18 pm
If that's the case, it's not a coaching prob. It's a home prob. There may be too many of those kids that never do anything wrong.

+1.

BisonFan1

Quote from: TNT43012 on October 10, 2017, 09:00:27 pm
Tell me the one thing that has changed from last year to this year? The kids. The kids won't respect Uhiren. The seniors last year had tons of respect for that man and did everything they asked him to. That man needs to be respected and he expects. He is a coach. Every coach deserves to be respected. They do not get paid enough and are taking time out of their days to help turn these boys into young men. The 12 seniors last year respected Uhiren and had the same drive to win as he did. Those seniors led. Every single one of those seniors was a captain. You saw it on the field and at practice. The problem is respect and kids running there mouths when they get yelled at and then getting all in their feelings and not wanting to perform cause they got in trouble.

That's what I mentioned in the other thread.  Everyone of those kids last year loved Uhiren and respected the heck out of him.  He came in and completely changed the culture and it showed on the field. Those boys played their hearts out every week and were just a few points shy of going undefeated in conference.  I'm not trying to badmouth this group because there are good kids in it, but I do think the leadership is severely lacking, with only four seniors. 

Wonderdog

So hootens picked PW by 26 over Carlisle this week. Is that a bit much or an accurate spread? Just doesn't seem right reading that.

big E

Quote from: Wonderdog on October 11, 2017, 08:59:06 am
So hootens picked PW by 26 over Carlisle this week. Is that a bit much or an accurate spread? Just doesn't seem right reading that.
Nah they'll probably beat us by 10 or so.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas