• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

East predictions

Started by Rick Swines, July 15, 2017, 12:15:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Swines

1. Wynne 7-0 (although the coaching changes have me a little skeptical plus a trip to Batesville isn't ideal they do gave alot returning from a dominant team.
2. Batesville 6-1 (has a chance to beat wynne at home and win the conference. Has alot of starters returning from a final four run plus this he high won alot of games.
3. Valley view 4-3 ( senior qb plus the most returning starters in the conference. Had wynne tied at half last season plus a great jr high.)
4. Blytheville 4-3 ( great oline and rb coming back. Must stay consistent throughout the year.)
5. Nettleton
6. Paragould
7. Forrest city
8. Gct

The_Pioneer

I'm not sold on Valley View.  They suffer from the same problem Pocahontas had when they moved up to the East a few years ago.   They have been overwhelmed by the upper end of the conference and not particularly competitive. 

tmycjy

Just went threw the numbers thus how it will go down for the east

1. Wynne
2. Batesville
3. Forrest city
4. Nettleton
5. Blytheville
6. Valley view
7. Paragould
8. Green county tech

Rick Swines

Fc lost 9 offensive starters

GuvHog

GCT returns 8 starters on both sides of the ball so I doubt they finish last this year.

The_Pioneer

Yeah, that's always been their problem in the past.....

JessieP

Fingers crossed for the Pioneers this year but I do have reason to worry. New QB is always an issue. Our strength is once again our coaches, always have the boys ready. My biggest concern is our Offensive line, no size, none! I can't recall a Pioneer team that is this small up front. We have some stout running backs but I fear they may take a beating. Whenever any team is breaking in a new QB they need to protect them, these boys look small. I have no doubt they will make another serious playoff run but I can easily see Jonesboro, Searcy and Wynne pushing us around up front. I'm not sure I saw a single 6 footer up front.

Lumberjackfan1978

Wynne
Batesville
Blytheville
Valley View
Nettleton
Forrest city
Gct
Paragould

Deuceswild

I agree with all except 1 and 2, Wynne has plenty of talent but I just see Batesville exploiting their D. First year coaches usually struggle with finding the right fit for each kid. Fortunately for Wynne, they spread the talent well. I expect Batesville to take that game this year though. Wish I could watch it, sure it will be a wild one.

Grond

I expect Batesville & Wynne at the top of the East, and GCT & Paragould at the bottom.

I think Batesville will win the conference; they have something to prove, at home, after the 2016 Wynne game.

But the "middle" is wide open. Nettleton, Forrest City, Blytheville, and Valley View have all had problems with consistency. Very curious to see if Valley View can make the playoffs; I think it is time for them to make a move.

#1jacketfan

Quote from: Rick Swines on July 15, 2017, 12:15:34 am
1. Wynne 7-0 (although the coaching changes have me a little skeptical plus a trip to Batesville isn't ideal they do gave alot returning from a dominant team.
2. Batesville 6-1 (has a chance to beat wynne at home and win the conference. Has alot of starters returning from a final four run plus this he high won alot of games.
3. Valley view 4-3 ( senior qb plus the most returning starters in the conference. Had wynne tied at half last season plus a great jr high.)
4. Blytheville 4-3 ( great oline and rb coming back. Must stay consistent throughout the year.)
5. Nettleton
6. Paragould
7. Forrest city
8. Gct
I'd be surprised if VV has more returning starters than Wynne......Wynne had VV by a touchdown at halftime last season plus Hicks sat out the first half.

GuvHog

Quote from: #1jacketfan on July 18, 2017, 11:04:05 am
I'd be surprised if VV has more returning starters than Wynne......Wynne had VV by a touchdown at halftime last season plus Hicks sat out the first half.

Valley View returns 9 starters on offense but only returns 5 starters on Defense.

Greene County Tech returns 8 starters on both sides of the ball.

Rick Swines

According to hootens wynne only returns 5 and 5? Is that correct?

Rick Swines

Quote from: Grond on July 17, 2017, 11:59:08 am
I expect Batesville & Wynne at the top of the East, and GCT & Paragould at the bottom.

I think Batesville will win the conference; they have something to prove, at home, after the 2016 Wynne game.

But the "middle" is wide open. Nettleton, Forrest City, Blytheville, and Valley View have all had problems with consistency. Very curious to see if Valley View can make the playoffs; I think it is time for them to make a move.

It will be a very tough game. I'm sure Batesville coaches will have them more prepared than last season but wynne returns a pretty good 3 year starting qb plus the hicks kid. I'm not sure who else they return.

Im glad that safety graduated! He was a player. I didn't remember him from 2 years ago?

oldjacketman

Wynne will once again stomp batesville. Mark my word, Wynne will win that conference this year and years to come.

bigchief72455

I think Paragould will have a better season than the last.  Still not great but improved.

Rick Swines

Quote from: oldjacketman on July 19, 2017, 10:08:02 pm
Wynne will once again stomp batesville. Mark my word, Wynne will win that conference this year and years to come.

Even after losing the big de, hicks, the qb, and the mlb? Plus whoever else they lose. They will be in rebuilding mode next year.

The_Pioneer

Wynne is unbeatable.  They gain super strength playing on their cow pasture field it would seem.

Jacketalum07

Quote from: Rick Swines on July 20, 2017, 06:00:42 am
Even after losing the big de, hicks, the qb, and the mlb? Plus whoever else they lose. They will be in rebuilding mode next year.
[/quote

Wynne still has the big de, Hicks, and the qb.

Pioneerman68

Quote from: oldjacketman on July 19, 2017, 10:08:02 pm
Maybe so since u guys are unbeatable, but not sure I would count on the years to come just yet

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Pioneer on July 20, 2017, 04:10:13 pm
Wynne is unbeatable.  They gain super strength playing on their cow pasture field it would seem.

Wynne gave up a lot of points in their last 2 playoff games last year even though they did outscore WC in the Semi-final. Their defense is going to have to improve for them to have a legit shot at winning a state title.

JessieP

No fans on this thread, board or site think their team is as good as Wynne's fans do. The reality is that no team playing football, on ANY level, is as good as Wynne's fans think Wynne is. To read post from oldjacketman or any other Wynne backer you'd think Hicks would not only start but dominate in the NFL this year. There is one tiny problem, they didn't get the message to PA. I guess the PA players don't read this board. The State Championship was a one sided thumping. GaleSayersErikDickersonJimBrownBarrySandersAdrianPeterson Hicks looked simply mediocre against PA. Granted Wynne had some early unforced errors but that hardly made a difference. If you take away Wynne's errors, PA probably doesn't hit the mercy rule until the 4th quarter. I admit it was close at one point, the Jackets played PA's jv to a stalemate. Wynne stomped Batesville, no question, but they played Batesville at about 50%. The Pioneers were missing 11 starters in that game. PA stomped Batesville at about 90%. My point is the Batesville/PA game was closer then the State final. As far as Wynne dominating for years to come? they may have to do it in 4A or 3A. They are losing students at an alarming rate. The city is in a massive recession and the census numbers drop every year. It's sad and nothing to gloat about, I hate to see it happen but the Mayor of Wynne said in 2015 "we need some serious economic transfusion or we will go the way of Helena-West Helena. It wasn't that long ago that HWH was a 4A powerhouse. At the end of the day someone needs to step up and surprise us. Maybe LRC, Alma or Harrison, it won't be Wynne or Batesville this year, to stop PA from making it 4 in a row. As it stands now, Wynne may be closer then Batesville to unseating them but they are still miles away.

way2go

Quote from: JessieP on July 22, 2017, 09:36:44 pm
No fans on this thread, board or site think their team is as good as Wynne's fans do. The reality is that no team playing football, on ANY level, is as good as Wynne's fans think Wynne is. To read post from oldjacketman or any other Wynne backer you'd think Hicks would not only start but dominate in the NFL this year. There is one tiny problem, they didn't get the message to PA. I guess the PA players don't read this board. The State Championship was a one sided thumping. GaleSayersErikDickersonJimBrownBarrySandersAdrianPeterson Hicks looked simply mediocre against PA. Granted Wynne had some early unforced errors but that hardly made a difference. If you take away Wynne's errors, PA probably doesn't hit the mercy rule until the 4th quarter. I admit it was close at one point, the Jackets played PA's jv to a stalemate. Wynne stomped Batesville, no question, but they played Batesville at about 50%. The Pioneers were missing 11 starters in that game. PA stomped Batesville at about 90%. My point is the Batesville/PA game was closer then the State final. As far as Wynne dominating for years to come? they may have to do it in 4A or 3A. They are losing students at an alarming rate. The city is in a massive recession and the census numbers drop every year. It's sad and nothing to gloat about, I hate to see it happen but the Mayor of Wynne said in 2015 "we need some serious economic transfusion or we will go the way of Helena-West Helena. It wasn't that long ago that HWH was a 4A powerhouse. At the end of the day someone needs to step up and surprise us. Maybe LRC, Alma or Harrison, it won't be Wynne or Batesville this year, to stop PA from making it 4 in a row. As it stands now, Wynne may be closer then Batesville to unseating them but they are still miles away.

That's a turnaround from what you said in May:

"Wynne: On paper the best looking team, they return almost everybody. As strong as they are, to get over the hump they just need the DB's to play fair, great isn't necessary. As good as Wynne was last year their DB's were bad to weak. If they improve just a little, look out."

JessieP

Quote from: way2go on July 22, 2017, 10:06:21 pm
That's a turnaround from what you said in May:

"Wynne: On paper the best looking team, they return almost everybody. As strong as they are, to get over the hump they just need the DB's to play fair, great isn't necessary. As good as Wynne was last year their DB's were bad to weak. If they improve just a little, look out."

I saw the 7 on 7 between Wynne and PA. The "if" regarding defensive improvements did not appear to be addressed. The DB's looked slow and small. Most teams Wynne will steamroll, the ones they won't are the ones that pass the ball. When the ball is in the air, they lose their mojo. They cannot defend the pass or throw the ball. Another issue will be the State final. PA gave everyone the playbook. That offense is effective when used properly, but it's used when passing is a weak link. How often do you see it in the NFL? or even college? PA lined up and without an overpowering or overly physical defense made it look like flag football. They figured it out. My mistake was using the word "if" around Wynne fans. They don't grasp that "if" can have massive implications.  I could have also said "if Batesville can find 5 players 6'7, 340 lbs that run a 5.1 40 and can bench 450 lbs to play on the offensive line, look out". 

oldjacketman

Once again JessieP gives a ridiculous response. Several things...like turnovers hardly made a difference against PA and batesville was only a 50% when they got treated like a bad 2A team at wynne...prove he's just a troll. A sad troll. Probably was the 3rd stringer center at batesville. But good news is, ain't nothing he can do to stop the butt whipping at batesville this year. Quit living through PA. Why bring them up? That says a lot about your confidence in the 50 percenters.

GuvHog

Quote from: oldjacketman on July 26, 2017, 09:26:44 am
Once again JessieP gives a ridiculous response. Several things...like turnovers hardly made a difference against PA and batesville was only a 50% when they got treated like a bad 2A team at wynne...prove he's just a troll. A sad troll. Probably was the 3rd stringer center at batesville. But good news is, ain't nothing he can do to stop the butt whipping at batesville this year. Quit living through PA. Why bring them up? That says a lot about your confidence in the 50 percenters.

Say what you want but defense was a problem for Wynne last year. They just happened to have enough high powered offense to over come it.......until they played PA in WMS.

Intelligentsia

This one may come back to haunt you 😎

oldjacketman

Having the number 1 defense in the state is now a problem. Interesting. Their were parts of the secondary that were weak. No one will argue that. Run defense was as good as anyone has ever been. But number 1 scoring defense is now considered a problem. That's interesting for sure.

JessieP

Wow, wrong on every point. That Wynne education is really shinning through in your post. I have no doubt in Batesville's abilities, none. And I didn't have the pleasure of playing for the Pioneers, grew up in Texas. This year the Pioneers will right the ship against Wynne, exact a victory, like they have 7 of the last 10 years. The funniest part is the Wynne fans will have to once again drive back defeated and deflated. They will realize "we're not the world beaters we thought and the worst part is we live in Wynne". I do have a lot of respect for coach Hill, he sprinted out of that hole the first chance he could. Will the last person out of Wynne please turn off the lights. "only a 50%"?, "prove he's just a troll"?, "3rd stringer center"? how proud your teachers must be.

Rick Swines

Jessie wynne mercy ruled every team or close to it last year. I know you're a troll but to say Batesville is going to roll wynne is crazy. Wynne returns way more than Batesville. I know the coaching turnover is high at wynne but we don't know how that's going to turn out. I think the game at Batesville will be a 50/50 toss up. It won't be like last year.

Saying all of that neither Batesville or wynne is going to beat pa this year.

GuvHog

Quote from: oldjacketman on July 26, 2017, 11:00:42 pm
Having the number 1 defense in the state is now a problem. Interesting. Their were parts of the secondary that were weak. No one will argue that. Run defense was as good as anyone has ever been. But number 1 scoring defense is now considered a problem. That's interesting for sure.

I don't know about now but Wynne's defense was a problem last year. They gave up way too many points against WC then were abused by PA's offense. With the exception of Wynne and Batesville, the 5A East was the weakest conference in 5A last year and Wynne took advantage of that with their high powered offense. They blew teams out with their offense during regular season play so their defensive problems weren't noticed until the playoffs.

Grond

Wynne has certainly had a successful football program, making the 5A Finals in 2014 & 2016.

So, there is not a lot to complain about

One criticism that comes to mind (for me) is that, in difficult games [PA in 2014 & 2016, and Batesville in 2015], the Wynne coaching staff seemed slow to make adjustments on offense.

It will be interesting to see if the new staff will continue to make good game plans, and how quickly they respond to "difficult" situations.

Blazer51

My two cents which doesn't account for much, but I believe this will be vv's year to make it to the playoffs once again. They may even Possibly make it to the second round depending on their draw in playoffs. But expect vv's defense to be much improved from last year. The dline will be their strong point.

Rick Swines

I agree. After talking to different coaches throughout the conference wynne and batesville are 1 and 2. Valley view, blytheville,  and nettleton are battling for 3, 4, 5.

oldjacketman

Hearing Wynne may have lost another coach? Any truth to this? What's going on behind closed doors?

Intelligentsia

Quote from: oldjacketman on August 31, 2017, 10:42:08 pm
Hearing Wynne may have lost another coach? Any truth to this? What's going on behind closed doors?
Give Charlie Rich a call, he may be in the know. ;D

bigchief72455

Quote from: The_Pioneer on July 15, 2017, 07:25:27 am
I'm not sold on Valley View.  They suffer from the same problem Pocahontas had when they moved up to the East a few years ago.   They have been overwhelmed by the upper end of the conference and not particularly competitive.
When was Pocahontas in the 5A east?

#1jacketfan

Quote from: oldjacketman on August 31, 2017, 10:42:08 pm
Yes its true...

STBruin

I will say this...Wynne has a heck of a program...they have made it to WM twice in the last 3 years, cant take that away from them and they did handle most of the teams they played quite easily. BUT...this year...1st play of the game in the state championship they lined up in straight man to man coverage against PA, with no safety over the top...I told my friend sitting next to me, who's son played defense for PA...PA is about to hang half a 100 on them,  if this is their defensive game plan...now fast forward to this summer...NEW COACHING STAFF....team camp...Wynne and PA at OBU...PA on the first 3 consecutive offensive plays...3 TDS...all deep passes...so being OBJECTIVE...with NO DOG IN THE HUNT...their secondary is their Achilles heel...under both coaching staffs

Deltaswarm3

Quote from: STBruin on September 01, 2017, 09:40:49 am
I will say this...Wynne has a heck of a program...they have made it to WM twice in the last 3 years, cant take that away from them and they did handle most of the teams they played quite easily. BUT...this year...1st play of the game in the state championship they lined up in straight man to man coverage against PA, with no safety over the top...I told my friend sitting next to me, who's son played defense for PA...PA is about to hang half a 100 on them,  if this is their defensive game plan...now fast forward to this summer...NEW COACHING STAFF....team camp...Wynne and PA at OBU...PA on the first 3 consecutive offensive plays...3 TDS...all deep passes...so being OBJECTIVE...with NO DOG IN THE HUNT...their secondary is their Achilles heel...under both coaching staffs
And I'll say this as a Wynne fan when we saw how the defense lined up....we thought the same thing.
We were all scratching our heads wondering why in the world are we in man to man coverage.
I still haven't figured that one out yet.

HogWild25

The DC at Wynne from the PA game is no longer there. VP is a seasoned Championship level coach who if they meet PA again will not give them the same look. I look for Wynne to be making another trip to WM this winter and if they meet Kelly and that system look out! Kelly and PA will be in for a whole different type ball game than the Wynne of last year.

STBruin

Quote from: HogWild25 on September 01, 2017, 11:33:43 am
The DC at Wynne from the PA game is no longer there. VP is a seasoned Championship level coach who if they meet PA again will not give them the same look. I look for Wynne to be making another trip to WM this winter and if they meet Kelly and that system look out! Kelly and PA will be in for a whole different type ball game than the Wynne of last year.

I hope that the last game this year is PA vs Wynne....it all starts at Week 1...good luck to Wynne this season!

oldjacketman

September 01, 2017, 12:46:56 pm #42 Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:51:14 pm by oldjacketman
Wynne's defense was top ranked in 5A all season. PA picks zone defenses apart and eats them. And didn't wynne turn the ball over 7-8 times? Who wouldn't PA score 50 on given 8 extra possessions?? But you're right, thank goodness the majority of the 5A staff of the year is gone?? Some of our fans even confuse me at times.

JessieP

Quote from: oldjacketman on September 01, 2017, 12:46:56 pm
Wynne's defense was top ranked in 5A all season. PA picks zone defenses apart and eats them. And didn't wynne turn the ball over 7-8 times? Who wouldn't PA score 50 on given 8 extra possessions?? But you're right, thank goodness the majority of the 5A staff of the year is gone?? Some of our fans even confuse me at times.

Lol@oldjacketman. We may disagree but funny is funny. "Thank goodness the majority of the 5A staff of the year is gone" may be the all time greatest post. Rest assured Oldjacket we all have some fans like that. I've read post from Pioneer fans and thought to myself "Good Lord, I hope they don't think we're all that stupid". Thank goodness the majority of that staff are gone? the head scratcher of the year. Football brings out some wonderful fans, it also brings out some that are. what's the word I'm looking for?.....oh yeah, dumb!

Pokey03

Quote from: bigchief72455 on September 01, 2017, 08:12:48 am
When was Pocahontas in the 5A east?
In the late 90's, two years I believe. 5-15 overall record those couple years,and only 2 conference wins against Mountain Home, and Marion. Just couldn't compete with the upper tier programs.

oldjacketman

JessieP, seriously. We definitely agree here. And after watching our offense produce a whopping 8 points last night I'm missing our staff even more.

JessieP

Quote from: oldjacketman on September 02, 2017, 09:08:57 am
JessieP, seriously. We definitely agree here. And after watching our offense produce a whopping 8 points last night I'm missing our staff even more.

I had a feeling the transition wouldn't be seamless. Don't fret just yet, you can't draw too many conclusions from week 1. These are kids, no one looked great this past week.

The_Pioneer

Will you have Fed Ex or just UPS to send the state title to Wynne?

titan33

Quote from: oldjacketman on September 02, 2017, 09:08:57 am
Some people will complain about anything. The old staff never beat Marion at Marion and it's been years since Wynne has won there. The Defense looks great and are playing well against the pass, once the two best offensive linemen get back I bet the offense will look like a complete different team. A win is a win and that's what the Jackets did last night.

oldjacketman

The old staff never played Marion at Marion with a fully loaded senior team that's returning numerous starters. My point was a counter to the people somehow complaining about the old staff. You're right, a win is a win. Still hate to see such an explosive offense go backwards.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas