• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JC move back down to 2A

Started by 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT, June 08, 2017, 12:14:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

June 08, 2017, 12:14:20 am Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:16:00 am by 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT
OK, I am going to admittedly stir the pot here and play devil's advocate. As an El Dorado resident during our successful run of state championships, JC was also having a super successful run themselves beginning with the 2009 team and hitting its peak with 3 straight titles from 2012-2014.  During this time all I heard from my fellow JC friends was how they could compete and win titles at ANY classification, with some going as far as stating those JC teams could have beaten Eldo, but all that was stopping them was the AAA...they were forced to play in the weaker 2A classification so they couldn't actually prove it.   So why all the effort to NOT be moved up last year and now the appeals to move BACK to 2A after a lackluster season (by JC standards) in 3A in ALL sports?  In my opinion that 2012-2014 team could have won 3A and maybe even 4A.  But why fight it now?  Am I missing something?  Is there an advantage of going back to 2A other than the competition is weaker in football?  I know most of the JC folks on here will immediately label me as a hater of the program, but I am far from it. I just don't see why you would run from a chance to prove that you can compete and dominate in a higher, more competitive classification.

OK....I'm ready...pile on!  ;D

Dr. Defense

LOL they did say all that.....but those teams from 12-14 probably could have done a lot of what they said....those dudes were legit....08-09 were pretty dang good too

bearbacker52

Quote from: Dr. Defense on June 08, 2017, 07:48:31 am
LOL they did say all that.....but those teams from 12-14 probably could have done a lot of what they said....those dudes were legit....08-09 were pretty dang good too
03 team 08 09 team and 12-14 teams i think woulc have won at the 3a and 4a level, remember barton from 03 back dominated 2a football, and jc sent them to the retirement home.. no way to prove these hypothetical matchups, but its good talk.

JC Guy

Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on June 08, 2017, 12:14:20 am
OK, I am going to admittedly stir the pot here and play devil's advocate. As an El Dorado resident during our successful run of state championships, JC was also having a super successful run themselves beginning with the 2009 team and hitting its peak with 3 straight titles from 2012-2014.  During this time all I heard from my fellow JC friends was how they could compete and win titles at ANY classification, with some going as far as stating those JC teams could have beaten Eldo, but all that was stopping them was the AAA...they were forced to play in the weaker 2A classification so they couldn't actually prove it.   So why all the effort to NOT be moved up last year and now the appeals to move BACK to 2A after a lackluster season (by JC standards) in 3A in ALL sports?  In my opinion that 2012-2014 team could have won 3A and maybe even 4A.  But why fight it now?  Am I missing something?  Is there an advantage of going back to 2A other than the competition is weaker in football?  I know most of the JC folks on here will immediately label me as a hater of the program, but I am far from it. I just don't see why you would run from a chance to prove that you can compete and dominate in a higher, more competitive classification.

We will never know what they could have done but if anyone kept up with how many players from those squads either went on to play at the next level or had opportunities to play at the next level you would understand it's not fair to compare this group of kids to that group. Truly speacial stretch in terms of talent.

Dr. Defense

Yep that much collective talent may never grace a 2A field again

bleudog

June 08, 2017, 09:59:37 pm #5 Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:28:03 am by bleudog
Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on June 08, 2017, 12:14:20 am

FWIW, here's how the LaLaLand computers see it power rating wise:

JC       El Do
2003    46.2       8.2

2014    37.1     29.3
2009    34.6     51.5
2008    34.4     39.6
2012    31.2     32.7

2013    28.6     33.4

2004    18.2     25.2
2006    18.0       4.1
2011    17.2     43.3
2005    15.3       8.9
2007    15.1     18.4

2016      5.0     27.1

2010    (0.4)    40.3
2015    (1.6)    24.8

Oh, and there was no formal effort to NOT move up to 3A last year.  Even though the same formula error that was appealed for the next cycle existed in the current cycle, no formal appeal was filed for the current cycle.

Since the numbers didn't warrant staying in 3A, and despite common misconceptions, JC tries to follow the rules and the student count puts JC in 2A for 2018-2020.  JC has had some very strong teams over the last 14+ seasons, but like any 2A school, there are years where the depth and or talent just isn't there.  In those years, conditioning, technique and coaching can only overcome so much.  For those years, a 2A ring or deep playoff run is better to reminisce about come reunion time than a top ten 3A finish.  Compete against your peers and reap the benefits if you prepare and execute better than your peers.

http://calpreps.com/2016/ratings/Arkansas_division.htm#3A   

THA TRUTH

Eldo must have been terrible in 05 lol

bleudog

June 09, 2017, 08:50:31 am #7 Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:54:20 am by bleudog
Quote from: THA TRUTH on June 09, 2017, 08:21:25 am
Eldo must have been terrible in 05 lol

'03 and '06 too. 

http://calpreps.com/2003/ratings/Arkansas_division.htm#AAAAA
http://calpreps.com/2005/ratings/Arkansas_division.htm#AAAAA
http://calpreps.com/2006/ratings/Arkansas_division.htm#6A

They kind of hit their stride once they got used to playing in a 16-team classification.

Hey, at least they stayed above water in the LaLaLand computer.

THA TRUTH

I was basing that off how that wasn't the strongest Jc team of the 2000s

WHITEchicken

Eldo beat Jc so bad in 10 and 15 that they put them in the negative...haha got to love computers.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas