• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AAA classification for 2018

Started by Coltfan2005, May 03, 2017, 02:08:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I completely agree with JC going back down to 2A if that's where their numbers put them, but I do have a question.

If I catch this correctly, the AAA double counted the Louisiana numbers last cycle, too. Was an appeal made last cycle and why wasn't JC put back in 2A?

It seems that if there has been such an egregious mistake, that it would be quickly fixed. I mean it's counting and averages, I don't get how this wasn't fixed immediately.

JC Guy

I am not sure they doubled up on the LA kids last cycle. Since the last kid I had playing sports graduated last year I wasn't following it that close though. The way the numbers fell I think we had two kids over the 2A limit.

THA TRUTH

If I remember correctly Jc did appeal last time as well

Rida4Life

If I'm not mistaken they lost their appeal last time.  At least that's what I remember hearing.  But we are talking about the AAA and they may take a totally different stance on the matter this time.

bleudog

May 11, 2017, 09:01:23 am #54 Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:58:38 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Almatrackster on May 09, 2017, 07:25:21 pm
I completely agree with JC going back down to 2A if that's where their numbers put them, but I do have a question.

If I catch this correctly, the AAA double counted the Louisiana numbers last cycle, too. Was an appeal made last cycle and why wasn't JC put back in 2A?

It seems that if there has been such an egregious mistake, that it would be quickly fixed. I mean it's counting and averages, I don't get how this wasn't fixed immediately.

Quote from: Rida4Life on May 10, 2017, 10:01:53 am
If I'm not mistaken they lost their appeal last time.  At least that's what I remember hearing.  But we are talking about the AAA and they may take a totally different stance on the matter this time.

There was no formal appeal made to correct the current classification error. 

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/2016-18_CONFERENCE_appeal_requests_with_results.pdf

I understand there was an effort to get an explanation why the AAA number was different from actual.  I also understand AAA was, shall we say, less than receptive to exploring the possibility of an error on their part.  (And as it turned out, their adjustment formula was the same one they used for years.  The ADE data format just changed and the AAA formula wasn't adjusted to factor in the new way the ADE data came over)

As far as the reason or reasons for not making a formal appeal at that time, one would need to ask the Superintendent or AD. My guess is one reason was that after going thru multiple football seasons where conference opponents dropped football just before or at mid-season and it being an act of congress or impossible to find replacement games might have come into play.  The conference schedule stability of 3A probably looked pretty good.  Maybe accepting the classification assignment rather than starting what looked like it might be an acrimonious appeal process was an effort to not rock the boat.  Could have been the thought process was JC spends two years in 3A.  If the numbers grew during that 2 year period, JC just got a head start.  If the numbers didn't grow, the thought could have been the AAA would acknowledge the ADE data change, do away with the now unneeded formula adjustment, JC's count is done correctly and is back in 2A where they belong without having to make a formal appeal the next cycle.

The real numbers didn't grow and the formula error continued.  Actually the fomula error was worse and easier to see because of a full three years in the formula this time around.  I understand JC admin once again asked for an explanation of the variance.  More documentation was provided by JC admin and I understand AAA is now more inclined to approve a formal appeal which I also understand will take place at the next AAA board meeting.

Even my just pulling some numbers from ADE shows something drastically changed after 2013-2014 and it wasn't a bunch of new kids wearing purple and gold showing up in the halls.  It was the ADE mapping patch which cause the ADE numbers to no longer require adjustment by AAA.

WHITEchicken

Great post bleu. I understand what you are saying but JC haters gonna Hate. As long as JC and Smackover continue to play every year I don't care what classification JC is in. It is always a good one to watch.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: bleudog on May 11, 2017, 09:01:23 am
There was no formal appeal made to correct the current classification error. 

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/2016-18_CONFERENCE_appeal_requests_with_results.pdf

I understand there was an effort to get an explanation why the AAA number was different from actual.  I also understand AAA was, shall we say, less than receptive to exploring the possibility of an error on their part.  (And as it turned out, their adjustment formula was the same one they used for years.  The ADE data format just changed and the AAA formula wasn't adjusted to factor in the new way the ADE data came over)

As far as the reason or reasons for not making a formal appeal at that time, one would need to ask the Superintendent or AD. My guess is one reason was that after going thru multiple football seasons where conference opponents dropped football just before or at mid-season and it being an act of congress or impossible to find replacement games might have come into play.  The conference schedule stability of 3A probably looked pretty good.  Maybe accepting the classification assignment rather than starting what looked like it might be an acrimonious appeal process was an effort to not rock the boat.  Could have been the thought process was JC spends two years in 3A.  If the numbers grew during that 2 year period, JC just got a head start.  If the numbers didn't grow, the thought could have been the AAA would acknowledge the ADE data change, do away with the now unneeded formula adjustment, JC's count is done correctly and is back in 2A where they belong without having to make a formal appeal the next cycle.

The real numbers didn't grow and the formula error continued.  Actually the fomula error was worse and easier to see because of a full three years in the formula this time around.  I understand JC admin once again asked for an explanation of the variance.  More documentation was provided by JC admin and I understand AAA is now more inclined to approve a formal appeal which I also understand will take place at the next AAA board meeting.

Even my just pulling some numbers from ADE shows something drastically changed after 2013-2014 and it wasn't a bunch of new kids wearing purple and gold showing up in the halls.  It was the ADE mapping patch which cause the ADE numbers to no longer require adjustment by AAA.

Per Jeremy Muck from the ADG today on Twitter:

AAA classification news: Junction City will move down to 2A for the 2018-2020 cycle. Yellville-Summit back to 3A.

bleudog

ADG write up on classification correction:  CLICK HERE

Ball Hawk

June 16, 2017, 09:32:47 am #58 Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:35:19 am by Ball Hawk
Quote from: BigBrother on May 06, 2017, 12:24:13 am
Hey rida, you want multiplier on JC, just how many school choice kids to the chaplerss have each year. Let's multiply school choice kids too.
And btw JC would spank y'all without charter kids.

Lol @ the JC would "spank" someone. Yall got a taste of a level playing field and said no thanks.

bleudog

June 16, 2017, 09:45:52 am #59 Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:53:40 am by bleudog
Quote from: Ball Hawk on June 16, 2017, 09:32:47 am
........ Yall got a taste of a level playing field and said no thanks.

I don't know there BH, 2016 was the third weakest Dragon team in the last 14 years (going back as far as Calpreps data goes).  Last year's JC team was coming off the 2015 team which was the weakest Dragon team over that same period.  And the 2016 team still managed a top ten finish in the classification one up from where they should have been playing.

Calpreps Power Rating
2003    46.2 - State Champion       

2014    37.1 - State Champion     
2009    34.6 - State Champion     
2008    34.4 - State Champion     
2012    31.2 - State Champion     

2013    28.6 - State Champion     

2004    18.2     
2006    18.0 - State Runner Up       
2011    17.2     
2005    15.3       
2007    15.1     

2016      5.0     

2010    (0.4)     
2015    (1.6)   

http://calpreps.com/2016/ratings/Arkansas_division.htm#3A   

Hopefully the 2017 Dragons will do as well or better until they can get back to that "level playing field."  Coach C is gone, so Lord only knows what next year will bring.

THA TRUTH

People just don't realize where Jc ball is compared to where it was a few years ago

Ball Hawk

Quote from: THA TRUTH on June 16, 2017, 10:14:03 am
People just don't realize where Jc ball is compared to where it was a few years ago

People don't care to know if you want the truth.

Any and all hate JC gets they have 110% brought on themselves, lol. The smack talk and pompous attitude usually rub people the wrong way. 

The athletes yall get from North Louisiana are some of the best in the entire state of Louisiana outside of the NOLA area. That area of football in North LA is really, really good. People in Arkansas for the most part don't know or realize how good it is.

I don't know or really care how many kids from the LA side you get but if you only have 2 or 3 per class that can play, you've got yourself some ball players. And it's no coincidence that JC wins. I've seen your off-season workouts before. They are the real deal. Well thought out and planned.

Hard work + the talent level of kids you usually get =  championships

bleudog

June 16, 2017, 01:25:50 pm #62 Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:51:37 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Ball Hawk on June 16, 2017, 11:58:16 am
People don't care to know if you want the truth.

Any and all hate JC gets they have 110% brought on themselves, lol. The smack talk and pompous attitude usually rub people the wrong way. 

The athletes yall get from North Louisiana are some of the best in the entire state of Louisiana outside of the NOLA area. That area of football in North LA is really, really good. People in Arkansas for the most part don't know or realize how good it is.

I don't know or really care how many kids from the LA side you get but if you only have 2 or 3 per class that can play, you've got yourself some ball players. And it's no coincidence that JC wins. I've seen your off-season workouts before. They are the real deal. Well thought out and planned.

Hard work + the talent level of kids you usually get =  championships

Yep, the kids who live in the bottom half of the circle are just head and shoulders above the kids who live in the top half of the circle.  ::)

I agree about the hard work comment though.  I once asked a former Dragon who had joined the army how hard boot camp was.  Kid told me it wasn't as hard as "county fair."

HorseFeathers

Bleu dog.....Louisiana kids are obviously bionic

BigLion10

bleudog

BigLion10

bleudog

Quote from: BigLion10 on June 16, 2017, 02:20:59 pm
Dang Terminator kids

Part of Coach C's coaching philosophy was to teach the 25-30 Arkansas kids just to not get in the way of the 5-8 Louisiana kids.  8)

Ball Hawk

If you think Arkansas athletes as a whole are equal to Louisiana athletes.....then you are sadly wrong. lol

Ball Hawk

Quote from: bleudog on June 16, 2017, 01:25:50 pm
Yep, the kids who live in the bottom half of the circle are just head and shoulders above the kids who live in the top half of the circle.  ::)

I agree about the hard work comment though.  I once asked a former Dragon who had joined the army how hard boot camp was.  Kid told me it wasn't as hard as "county fair."

We both know there are kids that have played for JC that should have been going to what is now Union Parish high school. I'm not some random slap that doesn't know how JC operates bleu.

bleudog

Quote from: Ball Hawk on June 16, 2017, 03:56:15 pm
We both know there are kids that have played for JC that should have been going to what is now Union Parish high school. I'm not some random slap that doesn't know how JC operates bleu.

http://coweninstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Northeast-Claiborne-Charter-School-Claiborne.pdf

bleudog

June 16, 2017, 05:27:03 pm #71 Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:20:09 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Ball Hawk on June 16, 2017, 03:55:08 pm
If you think Arkansas athletes as a whole are equal to Louisiana athletes.....then you are sadly wrong. lol

I wasn't talking as a whole, just those who live about six miles from the JC campus. 

That leaves a whole lot of LA that's not in NECC's target service area.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ball Hawk on June 16, 2017, 03:55:08 pm

Ah it's time for the yearly junction City cherry picks Louisiana football players thread.

Longfellow

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 16, 2017, 05:30:47 pm

Ah it's time for the yearly junction City cherry picks Louisiana football players thread.
Couldn't be football season without it

Ball Hawk

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 16, 2017, 05:30:47 pm

You don't have any idea about what goes in South AR/North LA so seriously do yourself a favor and stay quite man. The people that have a clue laugh at you. I never once said JC cherry picks LA, don't be a total moron.

What I did say and I know for a 100% fact is JC has had kids from Louisiana that don't belong. Without naming any names there was a player that played at JC in 2002 that should have been going to Haynesville.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ball Hawk on June 16, 2017, 06:54:46 pm
You don't have any idea about what goes in South AR/North LA so seriously do yourself a favor and stay quite man. The people that have a clue laugh at you. I never once said JC cherry picks LA, don't be a total moron.

What I did say and I know for a 100% fact is JC has had kids from Louisiana that don't belong. Without naming any names there was a player that played at JC in 2002 that should have been going to Haynesville.

Do you know what the school district boundaries of the NorthEast Claiborne Charter school is?

WHITEchicken

Please enlighten me who this 2002 player is. I'm wracking my brain and can not think of who it is. I graduated in 02 and do not know who you are talking about.

THA TRUTH

He wasn't a key player cause I know where all of them were born and raised back then

WHITEchicken

I could probably tell you where all that class lived as well. Do you mean played in the 02 season or graduated in 02?

bleudog

Quote from: WHITEchicken on June 16, 2017, 09:46:04 pm
Please enlighten me who this 2002 player is. I'm wracking my brain and can not think of who it is. I graduated in 02 and do not know who you are talking about.

Come on WC, I'd think 15 years is well past the statute of limitations.  You can come clean and tell us where your Golden Tornado tattoo is.  :-X

WHITEchicken

dragondad

Man we need to go hunt down some of these superstar LA kids,  we haven't won a title in three years.

Throwing out accusations and then refusing to post the proof.....  of something that "suposedly" happened 15 years ago..... bahahaha!  That's lame and weak......get outta here with that garbage.

THA TRUTH

All those 2002 player are grown men... go ahead and throw out names

BigLion10

One player 15 years ago hmm know of lots of players recently who should've been going to different schools but you still got to show up and play the game man

THA TRUTH

Hope U aren't talking about Jc

BigLion10

Naw man all over the state bro lol. My point is it's not uncommon to have a player or two from a different school district especially now with school choice

WonderWartHawg

The new 6AAA will have a combined 28 State Championships between them (all by four of the eight teams)

Rison, Barton, 8 each.
McGehee 7
Dollarway 5.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas