• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Subiaco head coach open

Started by Lakehog, April 17, 2017, 09:00:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakehog

This will be a tough job I hope they take a chance on a young high energy Coach and get the program headed in the right direction.

game on

I hope they can find an excellent, well qualified, experienced coach who knows how to turn a program around. 

southarkdaddy

I've always wondered about these private schools, do they hire based on beliefs?

Lakehog

They will never be able to hire a successful Coach there the commitment to athletics is not there. They are going to have to hire a young Coach who will take a chance. If they could hire a proven Coach it will be a short stint just like Glover one year and no success and then they are gone. They also have to deal with veteran coaches being to vested in the public school system. Aso far as hiring based on Religion Im sure they would prefer a Catholic since it is a Catholic school but I'm not sure it will be mandatory.

x14113

If the Trojans want to build up their program, they will need to use two key tactics:

Persuasion, and Retention.

As in, they must work to convince as many first-year students as possible to join the team, and they'll need to keep as many on the team as they can for several years.

Of course, Subi's very structure makes this easier said than done, with no direct feeders from lower grades and departures being a common occurrence.

Regardless, the Trojans' best hope for success will lie through long-term development. Let's see what comes of this.

game on

The insertion of money, lots of money and a widespread recruiting program is desperately needed.  Great facilities, great equipment, as many perks as they can offer up. A recruiting program like what you are seeing in some states, Louisiana, Florida and some of the college prep schools up north. This would effectively make Subi a college prep school where athletics would take precedent.  Not saying it will be done but its the only way a school stuck in the middle of nowhere is going to build and sustain a good athletic program. Got to have something to attract them, this means they also need an organized activity plan, yeah I know they do some stuff now, but a vigorous plan to make living there and participating in the athletic program appealing.

nchan

I wonder what the pay is on a job like this? It would have to be pretty good considering retirement for public school teachers...?

andydavis1234

April 19, 2017, 08:18:18 am #7 Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:22:39 am by andydavis1234
Quote from: game on on April 18, 2017, 09:49:01 am
The insertion of money, lots of money and a widespread recruiting program is desperately needed.  Great facilities, great equipment, as many perks as they can offer up. A recruiting program like what you are seeing in some states, Louisiana, Florida and some of the college prep schools up north. This would effectively make Subi a college prep school where athletics would take precedent.  Not saying it will be done but its the only way a school stuck in the middle of nowhere is going to build and sustain a good athletic program. Got to have something to attract them, this means they also need an organized activity plan, yeah I know they do some stuff now, but a vigorous plan to make living there and participating in the athletic program appealing.
Don't think this would ever happen. Subiaco's mission always has been molding young men and providing one of the best educational opportunities in the state. With the rise of Shiloh, PA, CAC, etc... as athletic powerhouses, subi has somewhat actively fought against athletics taking precedent. Subi's stated mission isn't to win per se, but for their students to grow as men, and grow as brothers through sports and being on a team. Barring a complete mindset shift from the Administration and Alumni, given that the monastery would even go along with it, this scenario is only real in the world of hypothetical.

Trojanbird

Lakehog

Going to be the Dean of men.

Hog-fan

Quote from: Trojanbird on April 19, 2017, 11:09:29 pm
What happened to Berry?

Took the position of 'Director of Student Services'

hoghelmet14

Lakehog

Looks like Subiaco has hired Steve Moore as coach don't know much about him but looks like he had some controversy at his last job in Arkansas. I hope it works out for him but it's going to be a tough job.

Coach Jones

Subiaco's biggest problem is that they are so far from a major metropolitan area.  They have a great reputation for their academics.  It is difficult to draw students there, even though it is a boarding school, that can not drive to school daily and sleep in their own bed.

game on

Quote from: Coach Jones on May 08, 2017, 10:19:19 am
Subiaco's biggest problem is that they are so far from a major metropolitan area.  They have a great reputation for their academics.  It is difficult to draw students there, even though it is a boarding school, that can not drive to school daily and sleep in their own bed.

To make that work with athletics you need a large student population that is athletically motivated.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: game on on May 08, 2017, 12:57:37 pm
To make that work with athletics you need a large student population that is athletically motivated.
Or great recruiters and alumni that care about football.

game on

andydavis1234

Quote from: Lakehog on May 08, 2017, 10:04:26 am
Looks like Subiaco has hired Steve Moore as coach don't know much about him but looks like he had some controversy at his last job in Arkansas. I hope it works out for him but it's going to be a tough job.
Different Moore. They hired Tommy Moore of Louisiana. Last season he was the offensive coordinator at Natchitoches Central. Last head coaching job was at Leesville, LA where he was 11-20 over 3 years.

HSfan

Quote from: andydavis1234 on May 10, 2017, 08:40:00 am
Different Moore. They hired Tommy Moore of Louisiana. Last season he was the offensive coordinator at Natchitoches Central. Last head coaching job was at Leesville, LA where he was 11-20 over 3 years.

Subiaco hired Steven Moore

Lakehog

I have talked to several people very close to the situation and they have told me it was Steve Moore and he was in Louisiana last year previously at Drew Central so I think AndyDavis you are wrong on this.

RTF

I like the recruiting talk.... You do know it is illegal (even for private schools) to recruit towards athletics? I realize most do it, but I would watch admitting to it on a public board.

Lakehog

I don't think anyone close to Subiaco is talking about recruiting on here just people from the outside talking in general about private schools. I will say if they are recruiting they should fire whoever is doing it because they aren't very good at it and aren't getting their money's worth just go watch them play and that will be obvious.

andydavis1234

Quote from: Lakehog on May 10, 2017, 01:20:29 pm
I have talked to several people very close to the situation and they have told me it was Steve Moore and he was in Louisiana last year previously at Drew Central so I think AndyDavis you are wrong on this.
You are correct. My bad.

Proud Buckaroo

Hopefully Steve stays around longer than he did at DC..

Hog-fan

May 19, 2017, 06:42:48 pm #24 Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:32:52 am by Hog-fan
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 15, 2017, 11:44:02 pm
Hopefully Steve stays around longer than he did at DC..

It will take a few years to get the program headed in the right direction.  Previous coaching staff left quite a mess and possibly in the worse state of affairs as it has ever been.  Fortunately for Coach Moore, the expectations at Subi are not very high.  He's going to need a lot of help and hopefully the two young assistant coaches on staff will be up to the task.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Hog-fan one should not talk so poorly about the institution most of their family graduated from.

Hog-fan

June 08, 2017, 12:10:04 pm #26 Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:33:30 am by Hog-fan
Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on June 07, 2017, 04:31:56 pm
Hog-fan one should not talk so poorly about the institution most of their family graduated from.

Nothing in my comment is putting down Subiaco, just stating the facts as many of us Alums see it.  Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow, but in the end, it is still the truth.  This is an open discussion forum and if you feel my comments are unwarranted or unfair, you are entitled to disagree.  If you know me outside the forum, you are welcome to call me and I am prepared to defend my opinion.

Proud Subi Alumnus and Parent
-- Kevin Franz '84

Hog-fan

Quote from: Trojanbird on April 19, 2017, 11:09:29 pm
What happened to Berry?

Word from the Hill today is that Berry will now be the interim Headmaster while they search for a replacement for the Headmaster who just resigned.  Berry will do a fine job in that role and is good for Subi.  Overall he is a great person and cares for the students and faculty at Subiaco and his many years of experience on the Hill will aid in that.  He just ran out of gas with his passion to lead the football program, which no-one can fault him.  The football coaching gig will always be an uphill battle and it's difficult to keep the positive attitude and passion with so many defeats and the negativity that comes with it.  Mike Berry is an asset that Subiaco needs on campus, so they are in good hands during this transition.       

RyanLR

I played at Subiaco for Coach Glover my freshman year, and coach Berry my sophomore year. It's a really great school with some of the best academics in the state. 100% college acceptance rate. It's for the most part always going to be a basketball school first. It's super hard to win at a school where you have football practice after lunch, and you have two more classes until 5 PM.

Gray lizard

Subiaco is different from many of the other private schools.  First and fore most is there location. Second is the commitment to football.  They seem to have the mindset of education first.  If I were sending my son to school there and paying the tuition(which is considerable from my understanding) that is what I would want. You can't get everything from a small private school.  They are competitive in basketball. 
Look at Baptist Prep, PA and some others.  They seem to be lean toward one sport.
I would like to see these type schools be a little more competitive all around, but that may be asking to much.

Trojanbird

Why they even attempt to play football anymore is beyond me.  Under talented (football players) and bad coaching is only going to get some kid seriously injured!  IMO.  They should focus on tennis, soccer, basketball and track!

jbtiger73

How many do they have out for practice right now

Jacketman65

My guess would be 8 soccer players, 2 basketball players, 3 tennis players and 9 from the quiz bowl team!

bearcat1983

It's awful to go to a game there. That big home seating just has a few people sitting over there when if full would make a lot of noise. Basketball is the main sport. I guess you can't have it all unless your a big school.

CoachGMoney

It can be challenging. I loved working there. I have since worked in other very successful football programs, yet I continue to keep up with Subiaco even though I am not Catholic, alumnus, or have sons that attend there.
Coach Mike Berry is a class gentleman. His association with Subiaco Academy, regardless of his position, is an asset. I wish him best of luck in whatever position he holds at the school.
Coach Tim Tencleve was/is a great basketball coach and supporter of athletics OVERALL. As many in the profession can attest to, Subiaco APPEARS to be a basketball school because of the hard work Coach Tencleve put in and the athletes he has had that were committed.
When students who have never played before start trying to suit up (in football) vs schools known for football tradition... that is a hurdle most schools do not face.
And no, I am not related to anyone there.
I wish the best for the next coach and I would love to see success there. Good luck to the players and coaches this upcoming season!

Look A Here

Always wondered about Subiaco.  When do those boys report to school? I know that many live in other parts of state or even country.  But they don't stay there year round do they?  If they have some late reporting date then that would be a huge obstacle as a coach

Hog-fan

Quote from: Look A Here on August 17, 2017, 10:13:20 am
Always wondered about Subiaco.  When do those boys report to school? I know that many live in other parts of state or even country.  But they don't stay there year round do they?  If they have some late reporting date then that would be a huge obstacle as a coach

The football players reported back to campus on July 29th.  The boarding students don't stay at the Academy over the Summer, so any workouts and conditioning is up to them.  Day students and some that live in the area are available to use the facilities during the Summer.

Lakehog

Subiaco had 23 players out when they reported 2 weeks ago but have added 7 players since school has started.

Look A Here

Quote from: Hog-fan on August 17, 2017, 01:22:44 pm
The football players reported back to campus on July 29th.  The boarding students don't stay at the Academy over the Summer, so any workouts and conditioning is up to them.  Day students and some that live in the area are available to use the facilities during the Summer.
Okay thanks for reply.  That still seems difficult for a program, when most teams you play have been working and conditioning all summer as a team.  And most have been going to team camps and 7on7 tourneys

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas