• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4a

Started by bilboswaggins, April 13, 2017, 09:54:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bilboswaggins

Preseason poll for kicks

prHOG13

Pea Ridge/Prairie Grove battle. Pea Ridge gets PG at home this year, so I give them a slight advantage. Shiloh lost quite a bit but that sophomore class will be special, and they've still got some playmakers on both sides. Still think they're #3 right now. I'd like to see Gentry take a step forward, but still think they're a one man show with their QB and not much else. Gravette should be steady and likely the #4 team.

Tigerdad2

Similar to the 2016 year....
PG, PR, Shiloh, Gravette, Huntsville, Lincoln, Gentry, Berryville

OverPrivileged

If you have been paying attention to this league the 2 changes are PR getting better and Gravette getting worse.  Gravette used to be a solid 2-3 in this conference and now they are not even in the conversation with the other top three.  They had close games with some of the "bottom four".  Look for some one else to jump into that #4 spot this year, maybe Huntsville who was definitely getting better in 2016.

RZback

When are the new  conferences coming into play. I understand football will be different from other sports?

bilboswaggins

Quote from: vegasbobcat on April 13, 2017, 12:28:57 pm
If you have been paying attention to this league the 2 changes are PR getting better and Gravette getting worse.  Gravette used to be a solid 2-3 in this conference and now they are not even in the conversation with the other top three.  They had close games with some of the "bottom four".  Look for some one else to jump into that #4 spot this year, maybe Huntsville who was definitely getting better in 2016.

Interesting thought, I like the qb's for Gravette and Gentry but is that enough?

nuttinbuthogs

The 3 top teams are close, PG, PR, SC. after that it's pretty much a toss up these days. The schools at the bottom aren't that far apart so that if any one of them makes a big push they would ease into the 4 spot.

OverPrivileged

The gentry QB is probably the best athlete at that position in the conference.  Probably was last year too.  Needs a little polish.  He might be the best QB in the conference this year with Harrison Swayne and Conner reece gone.  I feel like Gravette has fallen into the bottom 5 conversation.  I dont think their Jr. high was extremey good either.  Correct me if I am wrong I don't pay tat much attention to Jr. High. 

Tigerdad2

PG, PR, Shiloh
Gravette
Then the rest. Gravette has a combined 45-5 record against the lower tier teams in the last 15 years. Gentry will never beat Gravette on a consistent basis because of the teams mentality towards Gravette. The Lincoln, Berryville, Huntsville and Gentry's don't see themselves the same as Gravette therefore they don't beat them consistently. Having good athletes is one thing but you have to create a culture of winning

RZback

The top three definitely have an edge but Gravette isn't the same as it was 10-12 years ago.  It has been on a slow decline and they are not that far ahead of the rest. Problem for the lower 3-4 is they havent won in a long time and confidence is a problem.  Lincoln is the last to have a good group go through and be successful but that too was about 3-4 years ago and they have fallen off in all sports again. 
Teams like PG, and Shiloh have a clear intimidation factor over the rest because of sustained success. PR has been strong most of the last 5-7 years but with a few slip ups. PG is doing well because of years of developing a program, a mentality about working hard and what it takes to keep winning.  They have also kept the same head coach and most of the same staff, as small as it is, in place.  The rest of the schools haven't caught on.

PGtigers21

Quote from: vegasbobcat on April 13, 2017, 11:55:22 pm
The gentry QB is probably the best athlete at that position in the conference.  Probably was last year too.  Needs a little polish.  He might be the best QB in the conference this year with Harrison Swayne and Conner reece gone.  I feel like Gravette has fallen into the bottom 5 conversation.  I dont think their Jr. high was extremey good either.  Correct me if I am wrong I don't pay tat much attention to Jr. High.

Must be forgetting PR returns their QB after he had two different rushers go for 1000 and he threw for 2,000? Just saying, he'll return with a lot of talent and knowledge. I do think Gentry QB is fast, but pocket sense I think PR will have top QB in conference..

OverPrivileged

I didn't forget him.  I just think the Gentry kid is a better player on a much worse team.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: PGtigers21 on April 17, 2017, 08:00:42 am
Must be forgetting PR returns their QB after he had two different rushers go for 1000 and he threw for 2,000? Just saying, he'll return with a lot of talent and knowledge. I do think Gentry QB is fast, but pocket sense I think PR will have top QB in conference..

QB doesn't have anything to do with two 1000 yard rushers though does he? Unless he was one of them...

SaintsRow123

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 17, 2017, 10:09:03 am
QB doesn't have anything to do with two 1000 yard rushers though does he? Unless he was one of them...

If they had 2 1,000 yd rushers, he was definitely one of them, and is by far the most athletic QB in the conference. Passing wise he is not the best. He will be top 2 in the conference thanks to his athleticism though.

Standings wise, we all know how it will all shake out. Top 3 are solid and could interchange who finishes what. Gravette the 4 most likely. Fight for the last playoff spot just like it has been for years.

nuttinbuthogs

The conference has several new coaches, Berryville getting one this year,Gentry, Lincoln, Huntsville, all in the last 2 seasons, with little improved w/l. Pea Ridge and Shiloh in the past few years with about the same results as before and Gravette and Prairie Grove with little to no change in staff including the all important HC.  So it seems changes in coaches isn't making a big difference, what is the problem for those bottom schools?

prHOG13

Quote from: SaintsRow123 on April 17, 2017, 01:13:12 pm
If they had 2 1,000 yd rushers, he was definitely one of them, and is by far the most athletic QB in the conference. Passing wise he is not the best. He will be top 2 in the conference thanks to his athleticism though.

Standings wise, we all know how it will all shake out. Top 3 are solid and could interchange who finishes what. Gravette the 4 most likely. Fight for the last playoff spot just like it has been for years.
I think there is some confusion. PR didn't have a 1k rushing QB. He passed for 2k yards. Their two RB's ran for 1k yards each last year, and PR returns one of those who is going to have a monster year after leading the state in YPC last season.

Faulkenberry likely had over 1k rushing yards and is an exceptional athlete. Like I said up above, Gentry is a one man show and he doesn't have any help around him.

Tigerdad2

I guess Prairie Grove will have its 3rd different QB in 3 years and he will keep the 2,000 yard passing streak alive. Out of the Wing T offense I might add also.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 17, 2017, 03:43:46 pm
I guess Prairie Grove will have its 3rd different QB in 3 years and he will keep the 2,000 yard passing streak alive. Out of the Wing T offense I might add also.

A lot of teams could pass for 2000 against the likes of Berryville, West Fork, Gentry, Lincoln, Huntsville...

theoleballcoach

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on April 17, 2017, 01:52:49 pm
The conference has several new coaches, Berryville getting one this year,Gentry, Lincoln, Huntsville, all in the last 2 seasons, with little improved w/l. Pea Ridge and Shiloh in the past few years with about the same results as before and Gravette and Prairie Grove with little to no change in staff including the all important HC.  So it seems changes in coaches isn't making a big difference, what is the problem for those bottom schools?

I think it just goes to show you that while coaching does come into play, you have to have the athletes to complete year in and year out. Berryville, Gentry, Lincoln, and Huntsville just don't have the players to win on a consistent basis regardless of who is standing on the sideline with the headsets on.

OverPrivileged

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 17, 2017, 03:55:32 pm
A lot of teams could pass for 2000 against the likes of Berryville, West Fork, Gentry, Lincoln, Huntsville...

Don't forget to make fun of PG for winning all those playoff games also, or the beat down of 5A Farmington, State Finalist Pea Ridge, Semifinalist Shiloh Christian...Come on sugartown, prairie grove is a good program.  They have lost 3 games I think in 2 years, and two of those were to the state champs.

SUGARTOWN

April 18, 2017, 07:35:58 am #20 Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:50:00 am by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: vegasbobcat on April 17, 2017, 10:43:55 pm
Don't forget to make fun of PG for winning all those playoff games also, or the beat down of 5A Farmington, State Finalist Pea Ridge, Semifinalist Shiloh Christian...Come on sugartown, prairie grove is a good program.  They have lost 3 games I think in 2 years, and two of those were to the state champs.

Beat down of a 3-7 Farmington team? I wouldn' be bragging too much about that, LOL.

I never said they didn't have a good program, just pointing out that 6 of the teams on their schedule are among the worst in 4A.

SaintsRow123

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 18, 2017, 07:35:58 am
Beat down of a 3-7 Farmington team? I wouldn' be bragging too much about that, LOL.

I never said they didn't have a good program, just pointing out that 6 of the teams on their schedule are among the worst in 4A.

Hard to say they are the 6 worst teams in 4A when they play in the toughest conference in the 4A isn't it? You have to give it up to our conference especially when our 4 seed goes and wins a game as well in the playoffs. I wouldn't say they are the worst teams in the state for 4A. Very hard to say when you just see the games where they play 3 of the top teams in the state every other week.

Don't see every other 4A team in the state playing up for non conference against 5A schools either, maybe the top teams such as PG or Shiloh, but not many want to do that every year. Hats off to the schools that do no matter the record of Farmington last year, They step down into 4A and have a better season than 3-7.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: SaintsRow123 on April 18, 2017, 01:09:16 pm

Hard to say they are the 6 worst teams in 4A when they play in the toughest conference in the 4A isn't it? You have to give it up to our conference especially when our 4 seed goes and wins a game as well in the playoffs. I wouldn't say they are the worst teams in the state for 4A. Very hard to say when you just see the games where they play 3 of the top teams in the state every other week.

Don't see every other 4A team in the state playing up for non conference against 5A schools either, maybe the top teams such as PG or Shiloh, but not many want to do that every year. Hats off to the schools that do no matter the record of Farmington last year, They step down into 4A and have a better season than 3-7.

No doubt, PG, P. Ridge and Shiloh were some of the top teams in 4A last year, but let's look at the others I was referring too in reference to PG's schedule...

Berryville (3-7) lost to 3A Clinton, beat 3A Green Forest, 2A Decatur and Gentry

Lincoln (3-7) One of their wins was against 3A Mansfield, other 2 were against bottom feeders of 1-4A

Huntsville (4-7) One of their wins was against 3A Green Forest, and they lost to 3A Elkins

Gentry (2-8) Lost to 2A Lavaca, their 2 wins were against 2A Decatur and 3A Greenland

West Fork (1-9) Their only win was against Subiaco, with losses to 3A Greenland and Elkins

Sorry man, there's no sugar coating it, those teams are among the worst in 4A.

bigchief72455

Quote from: SaintsRow123 on April 18, 2017, 01:09:16 pm

We have been playing up against local 5A teams the past few years. Usually scrimmage one as well. I think it can provide experience for later in the season. I would agree not exactly the worst group of teams in that conference. We have a few in 3-4A as well. We are working on it over here though. Gosnell did well this last year. Pocahontas is consistent and looking to improve even more. We have Harrisburg who did not win a game at all last season.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: vegasbobcat on April 17, 2017, 10:43:55 pm
PG Pea Ridge and Shiloh are good teams but the other ones are butter cups

SaintsRow123

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 18, 2017, 02:23:35 pm

No doubt, PG, P. Ridge and Shiloh were some of the top teams in 4A last year, but let's look at the others I was referring too in reference to PG's schedule...

Berryville (3-7) lost to 3A Clinton, beat 3A Green Forest, 2A Decatur and Gentry

Lincoln (3-7) One of their wins was against 3A Mansfield, other 2 were against bottom feeders of 1-4A

Huntsville (4-7) One of their wins was against 3A Green Forest, and they lost to 3A Elkins

Gentry (2-8) Lost to 2A Lavaca, their 2 wins were against 2A Decatur and 3A Greenland

West Fork (1-9) Their only win was against Subiaco, with losses to 3A Greenland and Elkins

Sorry man, there's no sugar coating it, those teams are among the worst in 4A.

You can do this for several conferences in the state.... you putting that up isn't impressive or doesn't state how the rest of every conference looks either. There's always a bottom 3-4 in each conference with records that resemble such, maybe an extra win here or there. All I said is it's very hard to say who the worst in the state are when you could make that argument with the bottom 3-4 in every conference which is half the 4A obviously. Until teams play each other you never know, and can't argue that 1-4A isn't the toughest to play in.

Plus you obviously aren't the most familiar with the conference because West Fork isn't even in the conference.....

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: SaintsRow123 on April 19, 2017, 09:16:27 am
You can do this for several conferences in the state.... you putting that up isn't impressive or doesn't state how the rest of every conference looks either. There's always a bottom 3-4 in each conference with records that resemble such, maybe an extra win here or there. All I said is it's very hard to say who the worst in the state are when you could make that argument with the bottom 3-4 in every conference which is half the 4A obviously. Until teams play each other you never know, and can't argue that 1-4A isn't the toughest to play in.

Plus you obviously aren't the most familiar with the conference because West Fork isn't even in the conference.....

Perhaps you should actually read and comprehend all of my posts in this thread before commenting. I was initially referencing Prairie Grove's schedule from last year, not just the 1-4A. Prairie Grove played West Fork last year.

And no, not every conference has 4 as bad as the 1-4A had last year. Every conference has one or two for sure, not 4 though. The 3-4A would be the next worse as far as the bottom 4 IMO. The 1-4A is top heavy with PG, PR and Shiloh, but it's not the toughest conference week in, week out. That's still the 7-4A.

bigchief72455

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 19, 2017, 10:09:02 am
Perhaps you should actually read and comprehend all of my posts in this thread before commenting. I was initially referencing Prairie Grove's schedule from last year, not just the 1-4A. Prairie Grove played West Fork last year.

And no, not every conference has 4 as bad as the 1-4A had last year. Every conference has one or two for sure, not 4 though. The 3-4A would be the next worse as far as the bottom 4 IMO. The 1-4A is top heavy with PG, PR and Shiloh, but it's not the toughest conference week in, week out. That's still the 7-4A.
I will agree that the bottom 4 in the 3-4A is not very tough. Maybe in the next few cycles with the expectation of replacing 2 of them with Rivercrest and Blytheville the 3-4 may get a lot more competitive.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: bigchief72455 on April 19, 2017, 10:27:46 am
I will agree that the bottom 4 in the 3-4A is not very tough. Maybe in the next few cycles with the expectation of replacing 2 of them with Rivercrest and Blytheville the 3-4 may get a lot more competitive.

Yes, it definitely should if you add those two.

nuttinbuthogs

Top 3 of the 1-4A is pretty good for sure. Bottom is not so good.  Seems it's been that way a long time without any real change.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas