• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnet Cove Open?

Started by Dr. Defense, March 28, 2017, 01:20:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mriderpride84

HSC I agree he has coached both sides of the ball with great success, and he is a competitor that has coached in many different settings. Funny thing is I was talking to one of his friends from high school at the gas station and most people don't realize that as rough as he comes off he almost has a doctorate degree and the reason he hasn't taken a head job before now is he has been finishing his degrees. Now his son is older and he is done with his degrees it would would be perfect time to get him.

Str8thug

Couple points. 
1.  Those sub par athletes mentioned under the Webb era (Finley, amerson, and another coach at j ville parish) all college ball players.  So throw that out.  I do like Webb as an assistant, good guy, don't think he has what it takes to fight the political game and pull the staff together.  Good guy though. 

2. Magnet does have a TON of alumni coaches, and there are several not being mentioned.  How bout Keith Barrett?

Js

Str8thug

I'll add one more thing as well.  You want to talk about assistants with no hc experience. Why not a guy like Casey Moreland at arkadelphia.  He has won a state championship at Stuttgart, called defense for the rice birds, currently the OC for the Badgers.  Glen Rose guy who is definitely Firey and intense.  Would bring a whole new brand of football to the cove. Young guy who has family living in magnet.  He has the balls to go toe to toe with whatever and whoever to make sure politics and coaching division don't hinder kids from getting the experience of a lifetime that is high school football

old.dole

Lots of good coaches out there just needing a shot. If they are going to go toe to toe with the politics they got to have admin backing them up. If you don't have that in the Cove then it doesn't matter who you hire

jrhall2

How many alumni coaches does MC actually have? Does anyone know a close count? Wonder why this place breeds so many football coaches??

old.dole

15-20 sounds like lol. There are some good ones though

Str8thug

April 03, 2017, 10:11:45 pm #106 Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:09:25 am by Str8thug
Seriously they do have a ton.  I'll start listing and someone else can finish
Mark Kehner (Glen Rose)
Freer (malvern)
amerson (McGhee)
Vick Barrett (poyen)
Keith Barrett (poyen)
Finley( bauxite)
Garrick (England)
Evins (Jacksonville)
Mcaslin (Lafayette)
Parrish (Jessieville)
Daniels (Mansfield???)
Gray (Marion? I'm not sure may be retired)

(Needs some magnet people for corrections and additions)

southarkdaddy

What makes it crazier, they have that many alums coaches and not 1 single alum on staff?

mriderpride84

Str8thug (sub par athletes? ) I've been watching panther football for a long time Parish was a phenomenal track athlete from what I remember and as many would agree Amerson was probably one of the best lineman that I can remember coming through our school. Why in the world would that have anything to do with who they hire anyway? I've seen terrible former players make great coaches. All that really matters is production as a coach.

Str8thug

You misunderstood me.  Someone made an earlier post about Webb losing because he had sub par athletes.  I was stating that he didn't have sub par athletes.  The three I mentioned played for him. I agree amerson was good. Went and played at hsu. Finley did as well and was all gulf south.  And parish was a freak athlete. So to blame webbs losing on lack of talent was grasping for straws. 

Str8thug

Quote from: Magneto on April 03, 2017, 12:50:15 pm
Webb fell victim to lack of talent and a sub par coaching staff.  Would like to see what he could have done with the groups that came through after he was asked to step down.  Whoever they hire he will be a great asset to lean on.
Here it is, was not calling those guys sub par,  he did. 

SR30

Revels is on the coaching staff and a former alumni

mriderpride84

Str8thug sorry misunderstood you.

Magneto

Quote from: Str8thug on April 03, 2017, 09:22:06 pm
Couple points. 
1.  Those sub par athletes mentioned under the Webb era (Finley, amerson, and another coach at j ville parish) all college ball players.  So throw that out.  I do like Webb as an assistant, good guy, don't think he has what it takes to fight the political game and pull the staff together.  Good guy though. 

2. Magnet does have a TON of alumni coaches, and there are several not being mentioned.  How bout Keith Barrett?

Js

Takes a whole group not just a player.  BJ was a better track athlete than a football player . Huge difference.  Great guy and coach just supporting my argument.  Finley was not near the guy he was in college.  Started taking things serious when he got there.  Pretty sure he started out as the equipment manager.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Turned into a great football player later but that didn't help Webb.  Don't know much about Amerson.  Anyways my point was there were some really good teams that came through right after he was asked to step down.  Those same teams that Efird has had success with.  All I was saying is that I would like to see what he could have done with those same teams.  No doubt he had good players back then but how many good TEAMS did he have?  I guess I should have said sub par teams.

Magneto

Anyways im not trying to turn this into a Webb debate.  Someone threw his name out there so I just gave my two cents.  Anybody know when interviews start?

mriderpride84

Magneto haven't heard exact date but would assume soon for spring football.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Str8thug on April 03, 2017, 10:11:45 pm
Seriously they do have a ton.  I'll start listing and someone else can finish
Mark Kehner (Glen Rose)
Freer (malvern)
amerson (McGhee)
Vick Barrett (poyen)
Keith Barrett (poyen)
Finley( bauxite)
Garrick (England)
Evins (Jacksonville)
Mcaslin (Lafayette)
Parrish (Jessieville)
Daniels (Mansfield???)
Gray (Marion? I'm not sure may be retired)

(Needs some magnet people for corrections and additions)
Amerson isn't at Mcgehee as of 2016.

HSCHogFan

Amerson is currently at Sheridan

southarkdaddy

Now here is another observation, of all those listed alumni on Kehner, Freer, and Garrick are at schools that have had much success.  You know Kehner isn't leaving GR.  So if you want to go Alumni you are going to have to most likely take a chance on a vision more than experienced results.

old.dole

Hear they will start interviewing on Monday of next week

HSCHogFan

April 04, 2017, 10:52:56 am #120 Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:54:28 am by HSCHogFan
Would love to see who's is on the interview list. It will tell how serious they are.

old.dole

Who do most from Cove want to see on the committee to feel comfortable with the outcome

SR30

If the Cove is,going to go for intense smash mouth coaches then the parents are going to have to come to realize little Johnnie football is going to get yelled at from time to time... of those successful coaches listed I know 2 of them bring high intensity when they coach and if you can't stand to be yelled at, well u might as well tryout for band or cheerleading

panther_forever

Quote from: SR30 on April 04, 2017, 11:09:13 am
If the Cove is,going to go for intense smash mouth coaches then the parents are going to have to come to realize little Johnnie football is going to get yelled at from time to time... of those successful coaches listed I know 2 of them bring high intensity when they coach and if you can't stand to be yelled at, well u might as well tryout for band or cheerleading
Agreed coach golden is that way 100 percent and deserves to be head coach

HSCHogFan

Where was Golden before Magnet cove?

SR30

that1guy2110

Got the opportunity to meet bad bob Evins a few times when he was at sau and then at Camden. Class guy no doubt. May not have the experience that some of your candidates have but I wouldn't be scared to give him a shot

HSCHogFan

Evans was jr high coach at Camden wasn't he?

that1guy2110

yes, he probably isn't ready to go home yet but I was really impressed with him the few times we spoke. Really good guy! Lot of people around Camden wish he would have hung around. This may have been said on here but isn't Vincent down in PC a MC guy?

HSCHogFan

gameoflife

April 04, 2017, 10:29:50 pm #130 Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:31:53 pm by gameoflife
Didn't Fordyce win that that game with Marshall by about 30?

gameoflife

Quote from: HSCHogFan on April 03, 2017, 07:42:15 pm
Amerson was mentioned on here, and several people in the community like that idea. I was at the Fordyce game when he brought that unathletic slow team down from Marshall who had no business being on the field with that beastly Fordyce team who went to the state championship game in the playoffs. They gave them all they wanted, and I just remember how fired up and physical they were even though they were out gunned at every spot. I was amazed how disciplined and well coached they were and thought if we ever get a shot to get him back home we need to do it. Not being here in years he would be a fresh slate and people couldn't say he was picking favorites.

HSCHogFan

April 05, 2017, 07:11:20 am #132 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:37:34 am by HSCHogFan
57 to 39 was final. Down by 6 at half .That Marshall team was horrible. Fordyce team I still think we're a bunch of grown men dressed out. Point I was making the coach from Fordyce has been there a long time with tons of success and he just couldn't find a way to stop their offense. Amerson had an adjustment to everything they tried. Just feel for years magnet cove had always been knocked out by teams from the south in the playoffs and a man who has experience against that would be good. Part of good coaching is always getting your players to believe they have a shot.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: that1guy2110 on April 04, 2017, 07:27:43 pm
yes, he probably isn't ready to go home yet but I was really impressed with him the few times we spoke. Really good guy! Lot of people around Camden wish he would have hung around. This may have been said on here but isn't Vincent down in PC a MC guy?

Another 1?  This is fascinating to me.

southarkdaddy

Maybe MC should go the Curly Wolf route and hire 10 alumni back. 

FBFan92

I have known Vick Barrett a long time and talked to him yesterday. He told me he isn't interested in this job and not even applying.  He loves coaching at Poyen and trusts the people he works with.  There is just too many uncertainties right now at Magnet. No Loyalty!

mriderpride84

MC has a lot of great guys that have graduated from here and in the future I'm sure most of them will develop into experienced coaches, but realistically besides Barrett,or Amerson I just couldn't see hiring one of the other Alumni. You run into the same problem that most have with current coach on staff what has he done? Has he had success of being a coordinator, etc...

When our admin goes through resumes they should ask the following questions to help shorten that list.

1. Have they atleast been a coordinator?
2. Were they successful (meaning was the team a lot better when they came into the picture)?
3. Have they coached more than 5 or 6 years for goodness sake?
4. Have they been successful with a school like ours. Not that our team has bad athletes, but not a ton of speed?
5. Do they have experience dealing with the community?
6. Do they have experience in other sports?(AD comes along with the job)
7. How likely are they to use MC as a stepping stone?

MagicMike

If you find someone that fits all of the pre-requisites, you've got your man!

mriderpride84

There will be a handful of applicants that fit that description.

MagicMike

If Barrett turned them down.  I can think of 0 that fit all of those. 

jonesmiller

Two other coaches that have come out of MC

Josh Austin Head Basketball coach at Williams Baptist Collage, Has been Head Coach at CBC in Conway. Has been very successful at that level.

William Frazier at Conway Has also been at Ashdown (hc/ad) and at Mtn. Home for a couple of years

Think they both graduated in 98 or so

SR30

Here is where you run into problems with that list of questions. Magnet Cove is a small 2A school. The only way you get a coach of that caliber to a small school is

1. They are on the downhill side of their career and looking to put in a few more years before retirement.

2. They have been fired from a previous job for not competing in a bigger conference so you step down to a lower one.

3. It is a alumni who is loyal to their community and truly loves the school.

4. It is an OC/DC with success and looking for their 1st head coaching job which usually means it's going to be a stepping stone and you might get a few good years before they are looking to move on.

Here is also where it is going to be hard. Magnet is a great small school with a awesome community. Most head coaches do not want to have to be in the classroom teaching. As bad as it sounds that's just how it is. Most head coaches just want to concentrate on football and what they need to get done. If they can't have that then they always seem to be looking for bigger and better. With the exception of a few, such as Barrett, most want to reach the upper classifications as a head coach. I don't want to see the cove as a stepping stone for someone. If they come in with the mindset of "I'm only hear to get my head coach experience and move on" then nobody wins. Especially the young men who pour their hearts into the game day in and day out. I hate to sound negative but is just the nature of the beast. Whoever is on the hiring panel I truly hope they instill in the new coach what P.P.R.D truly means. It's not just a saying in Magnet but a way of life. You take away the school from that community it's like taking the heart out of a living being. Panther pride is the blood line to the Magnet community and they deserve someone who will truly bleed orange for them.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: mriderpride84 on April 05, 2017, 08:43:20 am
MC has a lot of great guys that have graduated from here and in the future I'm sure most of them will develop into experienced coaches, but realistically besides Barrett,or Amerson I just couldn't see hiring one of the other Alumni. You run into the same problem that most have with current coach on staff what has he done? Has he had success of being a coordinator, etc...

When our admin goes through resumes they should ask the following questions to help shorten that list.

1. Have they atleast been a coordinator?
2. Were they successful (meaning was the team a lot better when they came into the picture)?
3. Have they coached more than 5 or 6 years for goodness sake?
4. Have they been successful with a school like ours. Not that our team has bad athletes, but not a ton of speed?
5. Do they have experience dealing with the community?
6. Do they have experience in other sports?(AD comes along with the job)
7. How likely are they to use MC as a stepping stone?

There's one that fits the bill that nobody has mentioned him. And he's a flamboyantly proud alum.

southarkdaddy

If a coach uses magnet as a stepping stone but leaves the program better than he found it, would it be a bad thing?

jrhall2

Quote from: jonesmiller on April 05, 2017, 10:18:44 am
Two other coaches that have come out of MC

Josh Austin Head Basketball coach at Williams Baptist Collage, Has been Head Coach at CBC in Conway. Has been very successful at that level.

William Frazier at Conway Has also been at Ashdown (hc/ad) and at Mtn. Home for a couple of years

Think they both graduated in 98 or so

are you talking basketball or football position here?

jonesmiller

Austin is Bball Frazier is Fball

jrhall2

Doubtful either of them leave those high profile jobs though unless they are just wanting to go back home really bad.

Magneto

Quote from: Kraig Crist on April 05, 2017, 10:27:57 am
There's one that fits the bill that nobody has mentioned him. And he's a flamboyantly proud alum.

Who are you referring to?

SR30

It is always good for a coach when he is able to move up an on to bigger things. Now when he leaves if there is an assistant coach that bought into his program 100% and has the same philosophy and coaching style it wouldn't be a bad thing. Take GR for example. Their program was a joke when Billy Elmore took over and hire kehner as his DC.. kehner and Elmore worked together like a well tuned machine and took GR to the top. When Elmore left kehner stepped in and took the reigns without missing a beat and is still successful and will continue to be.

On the flip side look what happend to bauxite when Watson left. They fell off the map after he moved on. Another example is our beloved razorbacks. When patrino decided to take a motorcycle ride he set our program back 15 years at least. The players had to learn a whole new system and coaching style after that one nightmare called john l Smith. 
Moral is if a coach uses the cove as a stepping stone you better have a good backup plan or your back to square one

southarkdaddy

Watson saw the writing on the wall with Bauxite getting bigger and bigger.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas