• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

View from my seat-- 1A girls

Started by Oldref, March 14, 2017, 04:17:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldref

Well it was another great year and I sure enjoyed getting to see so many good teams and players this  year. Got to visit several new places and all were nice. There were several teams that had a real shot at winning it all so congratulations to all teams that made the state tournament. I think most people thought it might be another Nemo /WV finals but it was evident pretty early that MVE, Norfork, Kirby, Bay and several more might also be in the mix. Bay played a really tough schedule and lost several close games to good teams..... Lost to Nemo by 1 in October, Led Earle both times they played late in the 4th and once even took them to OT only to come up a few points short. Beat a good Riverside team twice in three tries, played Batesville right down to the wire even played Nettleton and Jonesboro in  early exhibition games that also were close losses that didn't count to anyone but the players. All of these games were good for a young team but it worried me and some others that Bay had trouble winning close games. Several of those losses were self inflicted by late mistakes or being in foul trouble not being able to keep key players on the floor long enough to get the win. Bay only had 7 players until the post season move ups.  When it all came together after a regional semifinal 3 point loss to ICC   Bay didn't lose again. Ran off 6 straight wins against good teams to win their first title. Biggest help was staying out of foul trouble and making free throws and big plays late to finish strong in close games. After the Nemo win in state those girls believed they could go all the way and they did. Proves early games win or lose mean almost nothing in March and teams grow during the year. I read on here where no one gave Bay Lady Jackets much of a chance.........those girls read it also and they kept saying they could do it then they went out a proved it.  Coach Watson did a great job and had them ready every game. Lots of good teams in this years tournament  but Bay girls just made enough plays to win it all. Congratulations to all of the teams for playing so hard every game. Lady Jackets it was only a dream until you believed!!!! Congratulations!!!!! 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas