• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Everybody ready to admit that Tevin Brewer is the best player in the 7A this year?

Started by BirdCall, March 05, 2017, 03:05:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BirdCall

Tevin Brewer has proven to the haters time and time again that no one can stop him in the state. He scored 38 points against Haber yesterday and fought the whole game for his team to get the win. The dude should have a D1 scholarship on the way I don't care what anybody says size doesn't matter heart does and he has more than a lot of kids that are 6"10 and above no doubt. UAFS is a good program for sure but I just feel like he is not getting the offers he deserves and I am entitled to my own opinion. Not only should he be going D1 but he should be starting running somebody's team next year next year as well he can run the team and still score when he wants to. All the rankings are false there is no way he is the 24th ranked Senior in Arkansas based on college readiness I don't care size means nothing at all. Then to have him ranked at 37th in the top 40 overall is bizarre to me as well like who comes up with this bull? If he was 5'11 or 6'0 we might be talking bout him going some where high major power 5 conference team for sure. Name somebody who is a better point guard than him in the state and I will wait forever cause you can't name one simple as that.

Brian G

ricepig

Do you actually think his ranking on someone's list of top players in Arkansas is keeping him from getting offers?

BirdCall

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 03:13:55 pm
Do you actually think his ranking on someone's list of top players in Arkansas is keeping him from getting offers?

No the rankings have nothing to do with at all. I am just calling out whoever came up with the bull has to be an idiot simple as that for having him rated so low. I mean no offense to the Isiah Joe kid that has already committed to Arkansas but if he is going there Tevin should be going to somewhere high major he is a whole other level if you ask me but once again the little guy gets left out.......You tell me what do you think is the reason the offers aren't coming in besides size because skill/heart sure isn't one of them.I'm sure you haven't seen him play much so you really don't know the problem he is when he steps on that court.

ricepig

Quote from: BirdCall on March 05, 2017, 03:21:38 pm
No the rankings have nothing to do with at all. I am just calling out whoever came up with the bull has to be an idiot simple as that for having him rated so low. I mean no offense to the Isiah Joe kid that has already committed to Arkansas but if he is going there Tevin should be going to somewhere high major he is a whole other level if you ask me but once again the little guy gets left out.......You tell me what do you think is the reason the offers aren't coming in besides size because skill/heart sure isn't one of them.I'm sure you haven't seen him play much so you really don't know the problem he is when he steps on that court.
I've got no idea why schools haven't offered him, but these days, it's hard to off their radar. Who did he play AAU for, that's where coaches watch the kids, not high school games.

BirdCall

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 03:33:05 pm
I've got no idea why schools haven't offered him, but these days, it's hard to off their radar. Who did he play AAU for, that's where coaches watch the kids, not high school games.

He played AAU for the Arkansas Wings Elite EYBL team but they were down this year and I don't think they just let him play his game like he wants/needs to for them. He is more pass first on that team instead of being aggressive at all times like he should but that's their coaching and why they weren't very good this year.

Brian G

There are some coaches, players and parents that coddle and use these amauter recruiting services.  There are some HS coaches that just let things play without pimping or exploiting the player. 

In some cases, your ranking by them depends on how much bank you gave them.

Could Brewer have got more acclaim?  Probably.  But I don't think it hurt him.

He dang sure benefited from playing at Northside with Coach Burnett.

I don't see any real issue here.  Give me a kid like him any day over some of the ones with such artificial noise around them.

Grizzlyfan

I believe Tevin is the best player in the state.  The lack of offers can only be attributed to his height.  I just don't think a high D1 coach can risk a scholarship on someone with those measurables.  If it doesn't work he looks dumb.  And they don't want to look dumb.

businesstron

I've seen him play a lot of games these last 4 years and I remember the hype around him when he was a freshman.  It is indeed his height but I'm more surprised he hasn't gotten more offers from Mid majors or even Division II or III schools.  Regardless of height he's so much better than UAFS.  I would hope he gets a few more offers before signing day comes up.    His performance against Harber was the best solo act of the whole 7a tournament and I'm not just talking about the points.  He was fighting going in there and getting offensive rebounds and every thing. 

rammer

I told people he was the best player in 7A back before the season started. I have seen nothing this year to change my mind.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: businesstron on March 06, 2017, 09:22:32 am
I've seen him play a lot of games these last 4 years and I remember the hype around him when he was a freshman.  It is indeed his height but I'm more surprised he hasn't gotten more offers from Mid majors or even Division II or III schools.  Regardless of height he's so much better than UAFS.  I would hope he gets a few more offers before signing day comes up.    His performance against Harber was the best solo act of the whole 7a tournament and I'm not just talking about the points.  He was fighting going in there and getting offensive rebounds and every thing.
So he did not sign in the early signing period?

mack

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 06, 2017, 01:13:12 pm
So he did not sign in the early signing period?

I think if Im going to base my opinion of a kid's ability, I'll base it on the number of offers, especially D1 offers.  I'm not going to base it on the number of his personal fans who get on here to tout him. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: mack on March 06, 2017, 02:45:44 pm
I think if Im going to base my opinion of a kid's ability, I'll base it on the number of offers, especially D1 offers.  I'm not going to base it on the number of his personal fans who get on here to tout him.
Not sure what your quote has to do with anything that I typed.  Other than to prove your are a smart-aleck.  I was under the impression that he had signed a letter of intent with UAFS in the early signing period.  The previous poster seemed to indicate that he might still get some higher level offers.  I was trying to clarify because I may be wrong about him already signing.  Sorry to bother you.

sprtsfan

Those schools that don't offer him will miss out on a great competitor and a great player.  I've watched him play from his Boys Club days, the kid can flat get it......

businesstron

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 06, 2017, 02:55:48 pm
Not sure what your quote has to do with anything that I typed.  Other than to prove your are a smart-aleck.  I was under the impression that he had signed a letter of intent with UAFS in the early signing period.  The previous poster seemed to indicate that he might still get some higher level offers.  I was trying to clarify because I may be wrong about him already signing.  Sorry to bother you.

I know he verbally committed to UAFS in the early signing period but I'm not sure if he actually signed a letter of intent though.  If he hasn't he can still technically change his mind and I've seen schools come after athletes after they have committed to a school.   That probably won't happen in this case but you never know.

Central AR

Tevin has been incredible for Northside. He's such a competitor. I remember watching him play last year against Van Buren in the quarterfinals of state and he's getting doubled teamed almost the entire game and they still almost won. I think he was close to 40 that game. Someone mentioned earlier that he played for Portis Wings Elite (new name) EYBL and he averaged about 15 minutes a game. I got a chance to watch some games and he did struggle. Granted, he's going against some of the best point guards in the nation, but he didn't do as good as a lot expected. He shot 33% from the field and 55% from the free throw line according to their website. He also was very prone to a lot of turnovers. Offers mainly come in the aau period and it just didn't work out too well. He's an amazing player but that's how it works sometimes. You either perform on the big state or you don't. I'll say this though, the whole team for the most part under performed and looked off. Was not just him.

mack

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 06, 2017, 02:55:48 pm

You didn't bother me.  I can really be a lot more smart aleck than you thought this was.
The kid is a good player.  I've seen him play twice, and he had nice games. He's obviously a very good high school player.  The point is you guys up there are more enamored with his ability than college evaluators.

Sorry to bother you....

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: mack on March 06, 2017, 07:48:46 pm
You didn't bother me.  I can really be a lot more smart aleck than you thought this was.
The kid is a good player.  I've seen him play twice, and he had nice games. He's obviously a very good high school player.  The point is you guys up there are more enamored with his ability than college evaluators.

Sorry to bother you....
You must have me confused with someone else.  I very clearly stated that he wouldn't get higher level offers because of his size.  If Tevin Brewer was 6-2 and played the same game he would going to school anywhere he wanted.  Not sure why you feel the need to pee on the kid.  One of those punks from HarBer belong to you?

mack

I could have played a lot of other places if I'd been 6-7. 

Good gosh, where did I pee on the kid?  Because I say he's a very good high school player, and I trust college evaluators?  You really need to work on those cognitive skills.

Marblehog

To say Size doesnt matter at all is just plain stupid.  You must have heard your wife say this numerous times....

Marblehog

Quote from: rammer on March 06, 2017, 10:08:09 am
I told people he was the best player in 7A back before the season started. I have seen nothing this year to change my mind.
7a is really weak basketball

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Marblehog on March 07, 2017, 12:50:00 pm
7a is really weak basketball
OK now we have the stupidest comment of the thread.  NLR, Central, Northside, Cabot, HarBer are not weak.  Yes, 5A and 6A both have teams at the top who could play with the 7A but the 7A is stout.

BirdCall

Quote from: Central AR on March 06, 2017, 06:58:55 pm
Tevin has been incredible for Northside. He's such a competitor. I remember watching him play last year against Van Buren in the quarterfinals of state and he's getting doubled teamed almost the entire game and they still almost won. I think he was close to 40 that game. Someone mentioned earlier that he played for Portis Wings Elite (new name) EYBL and he averaged about 15 minutes a game. I got a chance to watch some games and he did struggle. Granted, he's going against some of the best point guards in the nation, but he didn't do as good as a lot expected. He shot 33% from the field and 55% from the free throw line according to their website. He also was very prone to a lot of turnovers. Offers mainly come in the aau period and it just didn't work out too well. He's an amazing player but that's how it works sometimes. You either perform on the big state or you don't. I'll say this though, the whole team for the most part under performed and looked off. Was not just him.

Now I'm sure you know basketball since you commented on this so you tell me what exactly can you do in 15 minutes a game playing. And I'm positive Tevin is not a 15 minutes a game on anybody's AAU team. I'm sorry the Wings held him back with the short leash. He has had that UAFS offer without they help and there is no way he can showcase what he really can do in 15 minutes like it's a joke really. He honestly should have went and played for another team like Team Penny out of Memphis or the Memphis magic they would have cut him loose and not hold him back.

businesstron

That's kind of sucks how the game works sometimes.   I believe Isaiah Joe got his offer from Arkansas over the summer because of AAU. But if you look at him right now he can shoot but he can't move with the ball that well, and he really can't create his own shot but I guess he got potential.

There was a 6'7 dude on Northside a couple of years ago and he got an offer from UAPB.  He wasn't much of a scorer either and couldn't move with the ball or dunk.  He was decent as far defense goes but nothing special...especially for his size  I guess that was potential too. 

He won't be the last good player passed up.  I won't be surprised if he goes off at UAFS.

ricepig

Quote from: BirdCall on March 08, 2017, 04:54:54 pm
Now I'm sure you know basketball since you commented on this so you tell me what exactly can you do in 15 minutes a game playing. And I'm positive Tevin is not a 15 minutes a game on anybody's AAU team. I'm sorry the Wings held him back with the short leash. He has had that UAFS offer without they help and there is no way he can showcase what he really can do in 15 minutes like it's a joke really. He honestly should have went and played for another team like Team Penny out of Memphis or the Memphis magic they would have cut him loose and not hold him back.

Kids switch AAU teams, too bad he didn't get the opportunity.

Central AR

Quote from: BirdCall on March 08, 2017, 04:54:54 pm

EYBL games are only 32 minutes long so him playing half the game is actually a good amount. You have to understand there is a huge huge difference between the guys he sees every night during "school ball" and AAU. Especially being in the most elite circuit, the EYBL. Almost all the guys he's going against are as talented as him and much taller/rangy. If Tevin Brewer was 6 foot and had the same skill set, he's a 4 star and has a huge offer sheet. People forget back in middle school, he was nationally ranked by a couple of those early rankings (which I don't agree with rankings that early) but still that shows where he was at when most kids haven't hit their growth spurt. UAFS is 1 of the better D2 schools in this region and he'll get good minutes his freshman year. JUCO or even a year in prep would have maybe been a better option. That UAFS offer isn't going anywhere so really nothing wrong with testing the market 1 more year to see if you can improve the offer sheet. Alexander Gorton who played for Valley View passed up preferred walk on at A-State and went with a prep team in Atlanta. That team won the National Prep Championship and he was arguably their best player. Now he's got D1 schools like Colorado showing huge interest and others. Prep schools to me are the best option if you're on the fence between D2 and D1.  Those offers you had most likely will still be on the table after your year just in case it didn't work out. For Gorton's case. It's going to pay off huge.

Marblehog

The EYBL is a joke.  No real defense being played at all.  If you play a prep year does it count toward your 4 years of eligibility?

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Marblehog on March 09, 2017, 09:02:18 am
The EYBL is a joke.  No real defense being played at all.  If you play a prep year does it count toward your 4 years of eligibility?

No, it reclassifies you for the next recruiting year

4real

OK, I hear guys talk about the aau circuits and elite leagues and all that... OK, yes, you get to play against great athletes and be seen by college coaches.  But, as others have mentioned, there's very little focus on defense in those circuits and very little in the way of complexity with mainly getting athletes out into space and letting them make their own plays.  School ball, typically, has a higher focus on defense and more complexity with offensive adjustments.  There's always exceptions.  But, college coaches really love the september and early october times that they get to go into the high school gyms to see what the kids are like in your everyday grind type practice atmosphere.  No glory getting your head knocked off in a boring defending a cross screen drill in September, and college coaches love to see if the kids are workers, and not just flashy with no defense being played.

As far as going D1 vs D2... Don't they both offer four year degrees?  I mean, if i've been told by NBA scouts my kid has a chance to play pro one day, its gonna be obvious the kid is D1.  However, if we are mainly wanting the kid to get an opportunity to use the ball to get a chance at a better life with a college degree, I think they till offer bachelor's degrees at D2 schools too... not to mention it's a lot more having fun being successful i D2 than being a low end D1 kid

Ty

Not to mention that he was competing for playing time at the PG spot with a Kentucky commit.

ISU7

businesstron

And with that today he just de-committed from UAFS.  Best of luck to him.

BirdCall

Tevin Brewer signed with Eastern Olkahoma JUCO but is still open to D1 possibilites and it is crazy that the best player in the 7A classification doesn't have the D1 looks he should. I think he should have went to a prep school and reclassify  into the class of 2018 to get buckets on some of these ranked guys that are overrated that play in the spot light all the time with these juiced up AAU teams for a high school team. Height shouldn't matter at all I have watch this dude go up against giants put his team on his back an get 40+ multiple times and he won the 7A state championship this year. No knock to the Isiah Joe kid but he is going to Arkansas Tevin should be apart of Big Blue Nation at Kentucky just saying in my opinion ask MAlik Monk he will tell you the same.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: BirdCall on May 02, 2017, 01:32:49 pm
Tevin Brewer signed with Eastern Olkahoma JUCO but is still open to D1 possibilites and it is crazy that the best player in the 7A classification doesn't have the D1 looks he should. I think he should have went to a prep school and reclassify  into the class of 2018 to get buckets on some of these ranked guys that are overrated that play in the spot light all the time with these juiced up AAU teams for a high school team. Height shouldn't matter at all I have watch this dude go up against giants put his team on his back an get 40+ multiple times and he won the 7A state championship this year. No knock to the Isiah Joe kid but he is going to Arkansas Tevin should be apart of Big Blue Nation at Kentucky just saying in my opinion ask MAlik Monk he will tell you the same.
I don't know about all of that, but yes Monk often said Brewer was the best guard he played against.  Better he got to Kentucky obviously.

no mascot

D1 isn't the end all be all of college basketball. It seems to me as if the d1 offer is a status that you would like for this young man to achieve.

Look at it this way, you said that he was at his best as an aggressive playmaker instead of a scorer. And that the coaches who pushed that style from him weren't any good. If he's at a major d1 school that will probably be the case again. Like it or not small kids have a hard time scoring at that level. If he's at a smaller school, however, he'll have a greater chance of immediately becoming a go to scorer.

I'm not saying the young man isn't division 1 quality. But perhaps it would be beneficial and more enjoyable to him to be in a lower division

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas