• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about the AAA?

Started by bearbacker52, February 27, 2017, 11:10:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bearbacker52

What is it that the aaa could do to improve basketball post season play, regionals, state, and the like? I dont understand the combined conference move, was it to cut down travel distances? Not complaining just wondering..

Bildo

February 27, 2017, 11:18:08 am #1 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:40:03 am by Bildo
The reasoning was to cut down regular season travel. The improvements that could be made would be to gather more information and make an informative decision. I know they think they did that, but I disagree with many decisions that were made. You have five football teams from one conference making the state playoffs.... that's too many and prolongs the season. Shorten the football season by two playoff rounds and this will help all sports

You only have 12 basketball teams...  in football, make the conference season mean something. Take the top two out of wac conference... that gives you 24 teams. If you finish third or below, you're out. The AAA wants more games for more gate money... that's why you have more teams make it. In the past, making the playoffs meant something. Now, everyone gets to go. It's ridiculous... it the "Everybody gets a trophy" mentality.

bearbacker52

Quote from: Bildo on February 27, 2017, 11:18:08 am
The reasoning was to cut down regular season travel. The improvements that could be made would be to gather more information and make an informative decision. I know they think they did that, but I disagree with many decisions that were made. You have five football teams from one conference making the state playoffs.... that's too many and prolongs the season. Shorten the football season by two playoff rounds and this will help all sports

You only have 12 basketball teams...  in football, make the conference season mean something. Take the top two out of wac conference... that gives you 24 teams. If you finish third or below, you're out. The AAA wants more games for more gate money... that's why you have more teams make it. In the past, making the playoffs meant something. Now, everyone gets to go. It's ridiculous... it the "Everybody gets a trophy" mentality.
Well it seems that they have their pocket book as their main motivation without a doubt..So they get the gates and the schools get nothing..thats not right at all..Its money over competition

redrider30

February 27, 2017, 01:19:22 pm #3 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:26:16 pm by redrider30
They need to hire someone to oversee officials that is not part of their Klan and hold them accountable for mistakes just like anyone else is accountable for a job that they may have. That person should have a staff and should be able to discipline referees or even suspend them when they are totally incompetent. Being a referee maybe the only job where the fox guards the hen house. If I was an official I would welcome someone to oversee me and make sure that I was doing the best job possible. There are a lot of very good referees who are also great people but there are a few that have no business refereeing pee wee games and especially not regional and state tournaments. Also teams traveling should have some officials from their area in the regional and state tournaments not just officials from that area.

bearbacker52

Quote from: redrider30 on February 27, 2017, 01:19:22 pm
They need to hire someone to oversee officials that is not part of their Klan and hold them accountable for mistakes just like anyone else is accountable for a job that they may have. That person should have a staff and should be able to discipline referees or even suspend them when they are totally incompetent. Being a referee maybe the only job where the fox guards the hen house. If I was an official I would welcome someone to oversee me and make sure that I was doing the best job possible. There are a lot of very good referees who are also great people but there are a few that have no business refereeing pee wee games and especially not regional and state tournaments. Also teams traveling should have some officials from their area in the regional and state tournaments not just officials from that area.

but as an official dont you swear to be impartial or promise or pledge,???

BigBob

In the south region  the refs were soo inconsistent on charge and or a blocking foul. It was different every night. Never seen anything like it!

bearbacker52

Quote from: BigBob on February 27, 2017, 04:12:02 pm
In the south region  the refs were soo inconsistent on charge and or a blocking foul. It was different every night. Never seen anything like it!
i know that is the same argument for the football community, getting it right is  not the most important thing..Lot of people say refs are nuetral and dont affect outcome.

Mj4465

I agree with redrider30.  There has to be accountability or oversight.  Some of the refs I've seen shouldn't be allowed to ref a peewee game.  It's not always that they're one sided, but when you get to the playoffs, they should not call 50-60 fouls in one game.  I will say that the refs at Pangburn on Saturday night did a good job.  You could tell by the way they ran up and down the court that they had more experience.

bigworm

Your superintendents are the ones to blame. Every member has a vote. I think most dont have a clue about sports. The AD of each school should be the voting members. Not the sups. Some are good im sure and some probably dont give a rip or have a clue about sports. The way i understand it the AAA is there to simply enforce the rules voted on by the voting members.

Bigditchlion

Quote from: Mj4465 on February 27, 2017, 04:51:05 pm
I agree with redrider30.  There has to be accountability or oversight.  Some of the refs I've seen shouldn't be allowed to ref a peewee game.  It's not always that they're one sided, but when you get to the playoffs, they should not call 50-60 fouls in one game.  I will say that the refs at Pangburn on Saturday night did a good job.  You could tell by the way they ran up and down the court that they had more experience.

Thought they let a lot of contact go on then called touch fouls when they got tired and wanted to rest a second. England's coach got T'd up for simply saying something and the other coach was almost 5 feet on the court and nothing. So yeah they were inconsistent all night. But hey they are the refs gotta deal with it like it or not.

Rulesman

Quote from: bigworm on February 27, 2017, 05:50:23 pm
Your superintendents are the ones to blame. Every member has a vote. I think most dont have a clue about sports. The AD of each school should be the voting members. Not the sups. Some are good im sure and some probably dont give a rip or have a clue about sports. The way i understand it the AAA is there to simply enforce the rules voted on by the voting members.
+1. Right on target and 100% correct with your assumptions.

sevenof400

Why? 

If the teams are fouling that much, why shouldn't they call the fouls? 

bigworm

They all suck!! Haha. But i dont wamt their job so i hope they keep doin what they doin. 😂

MomaLion

Quote from: BigBob on February 27, 2017, 04:12:02 pm
That was an issue in the North as well.  I've never seen so many charges called...especially when the defensive player starts to bend backwards and fall before any contact is made lol.

redrider30

Hey bigditchlion don't use the word inconsistent at a game. I guess it's now considered a cuss word. We had a fan ejected for saying " That's a foul on both ends. Let's have some consistency out there." Official said he was cussing him. First of all his hearing couldn't be that good because I was sitting 15 ft. from him and barely heard it and second I have known the fan that was ejected and I've never heard him cuss a referee at any type of game. Officials and the game would be better served if they checked their feelings at the door, stopped looking up in the crowd staring at fans and focus on the game in which they are getting paid to officiate. If a fan becomes belligerent then eject the fan and move on. Officials shouldn't assume a word is a cuss word just because they don't know the word and in case you never heard it belligerent is not a cuss word either. I realize a lot of officials are great people who do a great job and to all of you thank you for letting the kids decide games and taking pride in what you do.   

BoxNOne

No doubt, a lot of refs have "rabbit ears" these days.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas