• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to win a state title.

Started by Gray lizard, December 12, 2016, 03:28:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

Quote from: Made on December 15, 2016, 10:33:43 pm
2a.....beat the team with the best athlete in 2a...congrats Mt. Ida, Carlisle couldn't do it when Strong had Dixon
3a....beat Charleston, RC, and or HA....congrats prescott
4a....beat Warren 6 out of the last 7 years the winner is either Warren, or whoever put warren out of the play-offs
5a....beat PA 6 out of last 7 titles were PA or whoever put PA out of the play-offs.
6a...beat Greenwood
7a...beat Fayetteville

That's my take on what it takes to win a state championship....probably get ripped for my thoughts. ;)

Hey that is pretty good.  Be hard to argue with that plan.

AirWarren

Quote from: Made on December 15, 2016, 10:33:43 pm
2a.....beat the team with the best athlete in 2a...congrats Mt. Ida, Carlisle couldn't do it when Strong had Dixon
3a....beat Charleston, RC, and or HA....congrats prescott
4a....beat Warren 6 out of the last 7 years the winner is either Warren, or whoever put warren out of the play-offs
5a....beat PA 6 out of last 7 titles were PA or whoever put PA out of the play-offs.
6a...beat Greenwood
7a...beat Fayetteville

That's my take on what it takes to win a state championship....probably get ripped for my thoughts. ;)

Interesting outlook. I like it.

jimbojack

The biggest thing is just getting the kids off the streets and onto the field.  Bo does a great job with this, and then developing them as well. One of the keys to this is the way our former players that have been very successful, give back.  Every year, you'll see former players, like Terrance Hampton, Roshaun Fellows, Jay Wright, Chris Gragg, etc come out and just throw balls and run routes with the boys --that makes an impact.  Community support for football is also tremendous.  Warren would never allow a bad coach to just keep making the same mistakes.
Crossett, Monticello and Hamburg always have as many or more athletes, a lot of they play basketball only.  There have been some pretty underachieving coaches at those places as well over the years.
I wish the U of A would understand this and start helping high school coaches more.  It would be a win-win, as more kids would be developed for their program, as well.

STUNNA

Quote from: jimbojack on December 16, 2016, 08:41:48 am
The biggest thing is just getting the kids off the streets and onto the field.  Bo does a great job with this, and then developing them as well. One of the keys to this is the way our former players that have been very successful, give back.  Every year, you'll see former players, like Terrance Hampton, Roshaun Fellows, Jay Wright, Chris Gragg, etc come out and just throw balls and run routes with the boys --that makes an impact.  Community support for football is also tremendous.  Warren would never allow a bad coach to just keep making the same mistakes.
Crossett, Monticello and Hamburg always have as many or more athletes, a lot of they play basketball only.  There have been some pretty underachieving coaches at those places as well over the years.
I wish the U of A would understand this and start helping high school coaches more.  It would be a win-win, as more kids would be developed for their program, as well.

well said... Bret and Trod used to always run routes with us over the summer when they were home.

Grond

Quote from: Romeo on December 13, 2016, 01:57:18 pm
Winning a state title takes more than just one thing. Its a combination of factors, but I believe the most important part of a program, or any organization, is the CEO or head coach. The head coach will pretty much dictate the overall success of the program. Watching Coach Hembree the last seventeen years have gained me somewhat of an understanding how to build a successful organization. I believe there are three main things a head coach has to do in order to build a winning program: 1. Get players to buy into your vision and understand expectations. 2. Hold everyone in the program to the same standard. 3. Never stop learning as a head coach.

The interesting thing about Alabama is that you will never hear anyone in that program talk about goals or winning a national championship. All you'll hear about is continuing the process, which Nick Saban says is his belief that the willingness to prepare in a daily basis is the key to success. That made a lot more sense when I watched a Fall preview on Alabama where players were talking about the process, then mentioning Saban on the plane talking to recruits on the phone just hours after winning the national championship last year. That's a major reason why Alabama wins every year.

I think the best high school coaches hold everyone in the program to the same standard. They have a full grasp on the entire program all the way down to the pee-wee league. That's something Coach Hembree has been successful of doing. He has his own process at Warren and for a Lumberjack player, the standard and expectations are started at the seventh grade. Its part of the reason why Coach Hembree has been able to move freshmen up early when needed. You also coach your backups and reserve players just as hard as your starters. One of my favorite Coach Hembree moments was in the 2014 state title game. We've already initiated the mercy rule and have our backups playing in the fourth quarter. They make an error which forces Coach Hembree to call a timeout and he goes berserk. You coach your backup players just as hard because those will likely be your starters in one or two years. Sure enough, those players that got chewed out won a state championship on Friday. Its the reason why programs like Greenwood, Nashville, Pulaski Academy, Bentonville and Junction City consistently win each year.

The best coaches are also smart enough to know they don't know everything and constantly seek to find ways of making themselves a better coach and hire the best people around them. Coach Kelley of PA is probably the best example of that. Over the last seventeen years, I've watched Coach Hembree's spread offense evolve. 2012 marked a new period in the Bo Hembree era at Warren were he started running the RPO (run pass option) and its been a program changer. The last five years has been the most successful period for Warren.

This is the best FearlessFriday post I have ever read. Absolutely fantastic.

So many people focus on the Top Talent of the successful football programs......and 'those people' don't understand. You make a successful program by making EVERYONE capable; this allows the Top Athletes to have greater effect, because the Opposing Team cannot FOCUS on the Top Athletes.

AirWarren

Quote from: Grond on December 16, 2016, 12:54:19 pm
This is the best FearlessFriday post I have ever read. Absolutely fantastic.

So many people focus on the Top Talent of the successful football programs......and 'those people' don't understand. You make a successful program by making EVERYONE capable; this allows the Top Athletes to have greater effect, because the Opposing Team cannot FOCUS on the Top Athletes.

It was certainly a fantastic post.

Romeo 2020.

Sick Dog

Quote from: RazorHog13 on December 15, 2016, 03:13:58 pm
Hey dude!  Follow me on Twitter because I am joining football next year!  I finally got pressured into it ;)!

My current height weight is
5 Foot 9 Inches and 145 Pounds.
Ran Cross Country and Play Baseball...

Not expecting to start, but I am expecting to try as hard as I can!

Are those dementions correct on eharmony or matchmaker.com?

Sick Dog

And to answer the question....Have better players than the other team is a start. Your coaches will be better as the players get better. lol

polksalet

Put Saban at Waldron and see how his process works.

Stealthfan

We all read that "Saban" as "Volarich or Hembreee" just as you you intended. 😁

RyanLR

Also if you have a good QB and a good defense you can go very far.

RZback

Fact is you cannot limit it to one or two or three things.  A vast combination of coaching, talent, community and administrative support, discipline and commitment, willingness to buy into the program by players, coaches, parents, facilities and financial support. Someone said good coaches develop average talent, talent saves a lot of coaches.  The most successful programs are year round and have committed kids who are athletic and willing to sacrifice in order to win. 
The idea that speed beats size, or if you want it bad enough you will win is baloney, you need it all.  If those things were true you could take a bunch of cross country 155 lb runners and line em up against an NFL all OL team and win. Talent and dedication is a must, I'd take that with a decent coach above a superior coach with very mediocre talent any day.

OverPrivileged

RZback

Athletics is like everything else, people see only what they want.  You win you are a great coach, you lose you are a terrible coach. We know this must be true because all kids work hard, are dedicated and have the same talent levels.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas