• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russellville vs Benton

Started by The Future, November 19, 2016, 11:32:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Future

Rematch from week 1 of conference play where Russellville downed Benton 45 to 24. Lots have changed since then.
Russellville took care of West Memphis last night while Benton in a 100 point shootout outlasted favorite Jonesboro.
With Russellville the favorite this coming week, will that underdog magic carry over and help Benton punch their ticket to their 2nd title game in 3 years? Or will Russellville get their 11th win in their best season in forever and play for the chance to host their first state championship trophy.
Either result, this game should be very competitive and entertaining.

I'm going with Russellville by 14

admorris24

Expect a much different game next Friday.  We will be completely healthy for this game, but with that said, we cannot turn the football over.  Unlike JB, Russellville plays defense.  I expect 3 point game either way.  Benton must try to contain a big time receiver in Stokes for the 2nd week in a row.  Should be a good one. 

maxswine

Russellville does have one state championship.  But it was before the playoff era. (1933)

cyclones_52

I expect it to be a close game as well.  While I think Russellville has more all around talent, Benton has been playing well.  I do think Russellville's defense will be the difference.  However, it is true that it is always hard to beat the same team twice in one season.  I'm sure Coach Dawson is aware of this and so are the players.  I expect them to come out very focused.  Not only is a trip to War Memorial on the line but so is a chance to be  the best team in school history.  I got Russellville 24-17. 

Wildcat Football

I hope the emotional win over a very good JB team doesn't hamper Benton's effort this Friday.  Though they are used to playing day after Thanksgiving...3rd year in a row.  I do expect Russellville's Defense and Fulsom to Stokes combination to be an issue for Benton.  I would double-team Stokes with CB/Safety combo on deep post routes, but still may not be enough. Benton corners have got to play best game of year this Friday, this is going to be the key to victory.   I also think this game comes down to special teams play and mental toughness, if close.  QB Beck confidence throwing down field seems to be improving, but must look off receivers and scramble down field if field opens up. I would also run Hunter on some counter plays, mis-direction stuff.  Cyclones def front is really good gets off ball fast, so this will keep them off-balance. It's fun being a spectator, coaches have a tremendous challenge on both sides with WMS at stake.  I wish I could be at GW too.  Too bad we don't have consolation games!

Pr8hd

I expect this one to be a slug fest. My heart I guess says Russellville on it with the edge to Dawson and his defense. However, I think I had read in the first match up there was a few TO's by Benton, so if the Panthers can clean that up, which I expect them to do, it really is probably closer to a toss up. Regardless of the winner, I hope GW can make it an all West showdown in the Rock. Best of luck to both teams.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: maxswine on November 19, 2016, 06:54:34 pm
Russellville does have one state championship.  But it was before the playoff era. (1933)
I knew it had been a long time.  Hopefully, Dawson and the Cyclones will correct that soon.  Best of luck to Russellville. 

Oldbadger

Gonna let FF go for a couple of days.  All you FF  posters I hope and pray you all have a great Thanksgiving!

Lumberjackfan1978

Think Russellville wins this one.Dawson has once again taken a down program and risen it to the top I told people two years ago when he left Nashville that he would get the Cyclones to the top one of the best two coaches in Arkansas.Oh the other one. Bo!!!

SackAttack

Russellvile by 10. Have to admit I thought it would take dawson a little longer than this.

Oldbadger

The key to this game will again be turnovers.  Benton does not need to spot the Cyclones another 21 point lead and try to come back from it.  Of course, on the other hand, if the Cyclones want to  help a little and give the Panthers a few that would be greatly appreciated.  lol  On the plus side for the Panthers is they will have a healthy QB, and three other starters back who missed the first game due to injuries.  One a LB who we missed sorely.  Of course Benton isn't the same team, by a long shot. I will refrain from explaining that out of concern that it might help the Cyclones, and, for sure they don't need any.   It will be a very good game, and a close game, in my estimation.  The teams are pretty similar and each is very capable of winning.  I feel the winner of this game will give whichever team wins the other playoff a run for their money and can beat them.  As a matter of fact, I personally predict the winner of this game to win the State Championship.  Safe travels to my Panther friends.   

admorris24

Could not agree more OB.  If Benton does not turnover the ball, they will be in the game.  Also in the first game, the Benton D struggled in 3rd down.  Shoukd be better tonight getting their LB back that did not play the first time around

Warriors023

Can I get a link for the live stream if there is one?

admorris24

Oldbadger

Congrats to the Cyclone, they wouldn't be denied.  An emotionally drained Benton as a result of the Jonesboro win, couldn't get started last night.  Good luck at the Rock, I'll be watching on television. lol.

Valleysports

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 26, 2016, 02:14:22 pm
Congrats to the Cyclone, they wouldn't be denied.  An emotionally drained Benton as a result of the Jonesboro win, couldn't get started last night.  Good luck at the Rock, I'll be watching on television. lol.

Oldbadger, do you realize you've posted excuses about hurt players, turnovers, being emotionally drained, etc., through two Russellville games now?  I figure you probably don't realize it.  There's a reason Benton just couldn't get started, Russellville was holding the starter.  Emotionally drained -  ::)   

Oldbadger

You have absolutely got to be kidding me!!!  How can you take a post that is meant to congratulate as an excuse for losing?  I assume you were at the game!  I don't post excuses, but I do post observations.  Benton was lethargic and could not make any progress offensively against a very good defense.  I also saw a lot more, but in the interest of time and space, I simply mentioned an observation.  I didn't say, if Benton had not been lethargic they would have won.  I really don't believe that.  About the first game I said:

Re: Rville/Benton 2016
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 02:14:40 pm »

Can't make mistakes against a good team and expect to win.  Benton's miscues turned into easy points for RV.  RV is very good and will most likely take the 2 seed.  But Benton can't expect to turn the ball over at least 3 times and get into the red zone 3 times with no points and expect to win.  Four quarters like the fourth and it would be a different outcome.  Have to get it together.  Go Panthers!

Does this look like excuses?  No, they were observations!  In this I never said, we would have won.  I said "Benton can't expect to win".  Do you not think that turning the ball over lessens the likelihood of winning?  Do you not think that not scoring when you get in the redzone lessens the likelihood of winning?

I really think that the reason you responded the way you did is because I didn't spend half a page bragging on Russellville.  Do we need too?  If so, you are starting to sound like Rodney Dangerfield, "I don't get no respect".  I may be wrong about all this, if so, I apologize.  But it just seemed like an inappropriate response to a congratulatory post.  Good luck to Russellville in LR.

Oldbadger

Whew!  Okay, I'm settled down now!  What were you saying?lol

Valleysports

I was saying - when a person reads your post game post, it looks like a documentary on why Benton isn't playing at 100%..  No biggy - just wondered if you were aware - you're not.  No wouldn't do me any good for you to talk up Benton, not my rodeo.

Oldbadger

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas