• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sheridan HC open again (filled - Lance Parker)

Started by goldoline, November 15, 2016, 04:20:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

purpleswag

Quote from: Sick Dog on December 17, 2016, 10:16:33 pm
Paul Calley from Haskell H.G.

So he leaves a some what successful 7a school to go to a some what successful 3a school just to leave and go to an extremely unsuccessful 6a school????

Fullbacktrap75

Sheridan doesn't need a guy use to a big town with big numbers. Sheridan is the strangest 6A school in the state. The town itself looks like a 3A town with small community pockets spread out to almost 20 min in any direction. Sheridan can't play like  typical 6A schools. In order to make Sheridan successful it will take playing 5-7 kids both ways and conditioning them old school style.

WonderWartHawg

Sheridan has good hard working kids.  There are three things that they are short on though:

1. Size
2. Speed
3. Tradition

The size and speed disparity kill you when your conference games consisted of Pine Bluff, El Dorado, Texarkana, Lake Hamilton and such.  Pine Bluff got moved to another conference, but got replaced with Greenwood and Russellville.
Even so, Sheridan managed to pick up a win against one of those better equipped teams now and then.

Don't underestimate the 'tradition' aspect.  I don't feel like there is quite the sense of 'community', when it's basically two communities making up the team (Sheridan/East End.)  There hasn't been a period of sustained success long enough to build a tradition of winning, much less an expectation of winning.

Coach Campbell is a good man, I have visited with him often. Wish wins could have come about more often for him here. Wasn't because he didn't work hard, wasn't because the kids didn't work hard.

South Central

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on December 21, 2016, 10:53:50 pm
Sheridan has good hard working kids.  There are three things that they are short on though:

1. Size
2. Speed
3. Tradition

The size and speed disparity kill you when your conference games consisted of Pine Bluff, El Dorado, Texarkana, Lake Hamilton and such.  Pine Bluff got moved to another conference, but got replaced with Greenwood and Russellville.
Even so, Sheridan managed to pick up a win against one of those better equipped teams now and then.

Don't underestimate the 'tradition' aspect.  I don't feel like there is quite the sense of 'community', when it's basically two communities making up the team (Sheridan/East End.)  There hasn't been a period of sustained success long enough to build a tradition of winning, much less an expectation of winning.

Coach Campbell is a good man, I have visited with him often. Wish wins could have come about more often for him here. Wasn't because he didn't work hard, wasn't because the kids didn't work hard.

Don't forget Lack of numbers

Mike Love

As an alumni, and resident, former YellowJacket, I hope they get a firebrand, someone who can sell "all" the athletes on his program....about 45-50 kids in baseball, and probable a dozen of them good enough to start for football team and didnt play. One kid I know, an arm like a cannon, wouldnt play becuz the type of offense...they should all be taught to play for the YellowJacket, not for "me"...but that starts at home...ie..all the kids in baseball  being told they are the next mickey mantle

ghostoffootballpast

Last coach to have success at Sheridan?

South Central

Quote from: Mike Love on December 23, 2016, 07:06:51 pm
As an alumni, and resident, former YellowJacket, I hope they get a firebrand, someone who can sell "all" the athletes on his program....about 45-50 kids in baseball, and probable a dozen of them good enough to start for football team and didnt play. One kid I know, an arm like a cannon, wouldnt play becuz the type of offense...they should all be taught to play for the YellowJacket, not for "me"...but that starts at home...ie..all the kids in baseball  being told they are the next mickey mantle
I think I know who you're talking about. Why would a gun slinging QB want to play in the triple option with no offensive line either? And he does play for the yellow jackets, basketball and baseball. He also has a D1 baseball offer, so I would say he's pretty solid baseball player. If a kid doesn't want to play a sport, that's up to him/her.

ghostoffootballpast

Without those quality athletes its going to be hard to get on the winning way on a regular basis.  I think they need to look hard for a proven coach with lots of history of turning a program around.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Love on December 23, 2016, 07:06:51 pm

How many kids from Sheridan are playing D-I baseball these days? I had a son that was fortunate to play football and baseball at a 6A school and earn some statewide recognition, but we never had any "dream" of being able to play at a D-I school. Some parents and players need to live in the moment and enjoy those times.

Central Ark

December 24, 2016, 09:54:38 am #109 Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:56:27 am by Central Ark
Isn't their baseball team good most years? I have a buddy that teaches there.

ricepig

Quote from: Central Ark on December 24, 2016, 09:54:38 am
Isn't their baseball team good most years? I have a buddy that teaches there.

They've been in the top 5 or 6 the last few years in 6A, fwiw.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: ricepig on December 24, 2016, 09:10:37 am
How many kids from Sheridan are playing D-I baseball these days? I had a son that was fortunate to play football and baseball at a 6A school and earn some statewide recognition, but we never had any "dream" of being able to play at a D-I school. Some parents and players need to live in the moment and enjoy those times.

I think that's most parents and many players.

maxswine

Quote from: ghostoffootballpast on December 23, 2016, 08:42:00 pm
Last coach to have success at Sheridan?

Billy Dawson had success there.  Not sure if anyone did after him.

South Central

Quote from: ricepig on December 24, 2016, 09:10:37 am

Somebody correct me that's more familiar with the team. This is just what I've heard. They have 1 D1 right now. 1 on the team with a D1 offer. 3 or 4 with D2 offers and 2-3 with small school offers. They have good baseball players.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: maxswine on December 24, 2016, 01:54:49 pm

Only 1 winning season since 2001. a 6 game win.  Years of 1,2, wins.

Iknewthemwhen

Football and baseball aren't the same game.  Just because you are a good baseball team doesn't make you a good football team.  Size and strength are bigger factors in football.

ricepig

Quote from: South Central on December 24, 2016, 02:05:26 pm
Somebody correct me that's more familiar with the team. This is just what I've heard. They have 1 D1 right now. 1 on the team with a D1 offer. 3 or 4 with D2 offers and 2-3 with small school offers. They have good baseball players.

Well, as a parent of a former baseball player, if you start, hit over .350 or throw 82-85mph and aren't a turtle, there is a college baseball team for you on some level. I'm not belittling the D-I offers at all, those are usually very good players, but after that, it's just good high school baseball players.

Iknewthemwhen

Less than 10% of high school athletes ever play at the next level, it varies slightly depending on the sport.  That counts all levels of college.

BM22

Quote from: maxswine on December 24, 2016, 01:54:49 pm
I read an article on Dawson's 2 seasons at Sheridan. His first year in 1999, the Jackets went 5-4-1. His 2nd year, they started the season at 6-0, that included wins over Fordyce, Russellville, Bryant and Texarkana. The Jackets dropped the next two games, a 38-37 double overtime loss to Pine Bluff and a 14-7 loss to El Dorado. They finished out the regular season with wins over Camden Fairview and Lake Hamilton. They ended the regular season at 8-2 and lost a hard fought battle to Jonesboro, 24-19, in the first round of the playoffs. Three close losses by a total of 13 points. Success always starts with coaching and I honestly believe there is not a high school in the state that Dawson could not turn around.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: BM22 on December 24, 2016, 05:56:14 pm
I read an article on Dawson's 2 seasons at Sheridan. His first year in 1999, the Jackets went 5-4-1. His 2nd year, they started the season at 6-0, that included wins over Fordyce, Russellville, Bryant and Texarkana. The Jackets dropped the next two games, a 38-37 double overtime loss to Pine Bluff and a 14-7 loss to El Dorado. They finished out the regular season with wins over Camden Fairview and Lake Hamilton. They ended the regular season at 8-2 and lost a hard fought battle to Jonesboro, 24-19, in the first round of the playoffs. Three close losses by a total of 13 points. Success always starts with coaching and I honestly believe there is not a high school in the state that Dawson could not turn around.

Did the same at Siloam Springs.

Mike Love

The Sheridan baseball team is loaded...several of the "younger" ones are 2 sport players...the difference some would make is they are the "skill" athlete you need to compete...I think the D-1 signee wil play, if they get the right coach and right offense, he can sling it pretty good.

zebradynasty

Getting those skilled players out to play football will help but where Sheridan lags behind is lineman. I doubt there are many +250 pounders playing baseball. Without better lineman they will continue to struggle in 6A and against the smaller schools they play. Need to find a coach that knows how to coach and develop lineman to get the most out of what they do have.

whitefella1

I would have to agree with both of the last two posters. Sheridan needs both skill people, and big good linemen. There are good skill in both basketball and baseball that do not play football. There are some linemen with good size and potential that are walking the halls. It's my opinion that it takes longer to develop lineman. Sheridan seems to lose more than their far share between 9th and 10th grade.

South Central

Quote from: whitefella1 on December 29, 2016, 01:41:35 pm
I would have to agree with both of the last two posters. Sheridan needs both skill people, and big good linemen. There are good skill in both basketball and baseball that do not play football. There are some linemen with good size and potential that are walking the halls. It's my opinion that it takes longer to develop lineman. Sheridan seems to lose more than their far share between 9th and 10th grade.
I know they lose a lot from 9th to 10th. I don't think they have many basketball players who would help much though.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on November 30, 2016, 01:32:53 pm
Van Pascal would be a great fit. I just don't see Harper clicking with a few of the quality coaches Sheridan needs to keep.

How did he do when he was at Sheridan previously?

Pat Swilling

Sheridan can get a good guy.  Just gotta make huge commitment. 

purpleswag

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 31, 2016, 04:30:15 pm

Probably not bad. His lifetime win percentage as a HC is over 70%... Never know though

zebrafan

AirWarren

January 03, 2017, 03:33:12 pm #128 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:18:23 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: zebrafan on January 03, 2017, 03:09:20 pm
Tim Harper it is.

Best of luck.

Drove by their facilities the other day and man. That bleacher area needs a pressure washing from all the green mildew on the side of it.

zebradynasty

Quote from: AirWarren on January 03, 2017, 03:33:12 pm
Best of luck.

Drive by their facilities the other day and man. That bleached area needs a pressure washing from all the green mildew on the side of it.

Several on here have said that a lot of kids living in east end and other areas of Grant county are going to Benton. Wouldn't the mills they pay still go to Sheridan? Or how does that work?

zebrafan

Quote from: zebrafan on January 03, 2017, 03:09:20 pm
Tim Harper it is.
Now good ole twitter says he's not the man! Haha

Oldbadger

Millage stays in the county, Minimum Foundation Funding (State money) follows the student.  I haven't heard of any kids going to Benton.

Okieback

Mike Love

Hey, guys, calm down. They just started interviews today...let the process work

whitefella1

Interviews could have also ended today! Tim Harper was,is, and has been the heavy favorite.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Oldbadger on January 03, 2017, 06:20:22 pm
Millage stays in the county, Minimum Foundation Funding (State money) follows the student.  I haven't heard of any kids going to Benton.

Earlier post said they were a lot of kids going outside the district. They may not have said Benton, it was said they were in Saline County.

ghostoffootballpast

Who appear to be the favorites?  Who do the ones doing the choosing like, who do the locals like?

South Central

Harper is the favorite. Heard they interviewed 4 today.  Mills go to the district you live in right? And the reason they have below average buildings is because the property taxes are cheap. Pine trees don't assess for much.

GotInfo?

Hearing this job os wide open.  A lot of different ways this could go.  Style of play might end up being a big factor.

Iknewthemwhen

I hear Harper is a clear favorite along with some local sentiment towards a current staff member.  Any word of who has applied?

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 31, 2016, 04:30:15 pm
Quote from: purpleswag on January 03, 2017, 11:03:13 am
Probably not bad. His lifetime win percentage as a HC is over 70%... Never know though

I don't believe he won but a game or two, unlikely they would rehire him.  But you never know.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on November 30, 2016, 01:32:53 pm
Van Pascal would be a great fit. I just don't see Harper clicking with a few of the quality coaches Sheridan needs to keep.

South Central

hogalum05

You've got a one guy who is well liked. Players, faculty, locals, etc.... Then you have a few big names in town that want another guy. Be interesting to see how this one turns out!!!

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 04, 2017, 07:55:57 pm

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 04, 2017, 07:48:19 pm
I don't believe he won but a game or two, unlikely they would rehire him.  But you never know.

Paschal was there before as HC I believe, about 2002.

titan33

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 04, 2017, 08:59:06 pm
Paschal was there before as HC I believe, about 2002.

I don't see Paschal wanting to go back to Sheridan....ever lol

Fullbacktrap75

Whoever they hire hope they are younger with a lot of Entergy. They will be fighting an uphill battle.

Trojanball24

Rumor is they are looking at a certain coach in PB that is not a PB High

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Trojanball24 on January 05, 2017, 11:00:58 am

And this would be?

Pat Swilling

Quote from: Trojanball24 on January 05, 2017, 11:00:58 am

Mike Vaughn?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas