• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A Playoff thread

Started by ricepig, November 05, 2016, 09:02:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

November 05, 2016, 09:02:48 am Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:11:26 am by ricepig
Since we are past our different scenarios, it's time for actual game discussions. I'm sure some/most will jump straight to their team playing in WMS, but let's try to stick to thoughts on each round as they occur, lol.

My first round thoughts/predictions:

Marion vs El Dorado; I know the thoughts are that El Dorado is way down for their standards, but I think Coach Reed is a very experienced coach, and will find a way to win. El Dorado 28-24.

Lake Hamilton vs Searcy; I know very little on LH, and would have had them by 14+ if they had shown a little more against GW, still LH 24-21.

Benton vs MH; Benton appears to have more firepower than MH, but can they stop the option? WM only had 6 possessions against MH on Friday night, so Benton will have to stop the run. Benton 35-17.

WM vs Texarkana; WM has the better overall team, but two weeks ago they were playing for the #1 seed? Anyway WM 38-14.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Where is that Marion Eldo game played at

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 10:07:26 am
Marion.

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=148912.0

Thats going to be a tough game what does Eldo have they looked a little bit down early in the season Marion has a bunch of offense firepower thats going to be a good game

The Future

El Dorado vs Marion- Don't know anything on Marion other than they are a tough team and can cause problems against a team who is either not prepared or not a juggernaut. In years past, this game would be almost a cake walk for the Cats. I think Eldo wins a close one but wouldn't be extremely surprised to see the Patriots grab the win.
El Dorado 28 Marion 21

Lake Hamilton vs Searcy- Haven't seen Searcy play yet, but they do have some skill. An advantage to them, if they are able to seize it, will be Lake Hamilton's TOP and eating the clock as they prepare to snap. Almost every snap they got the clock down to around 6 or 7 seconds last night at Greenwood. But just with any play scheme like that, if you get behind by 14+ it spells trouble. If Searcy can at least match Searcy score for score, they have a good chance. If they get up 14, they have a great chance.
Lake Hamilton 35 Searcy 24

Benton vs Mountain Home
Bombers coming on strong the second half of the season. Started off 0-2 conference before winning 4 of their final 5. But those first 2 losses were to top of the conferencew Jonesboro and Pine Bluff. They also loss to a good Marion team while winning good ones against playoff teams Searcy and West Memphis (who has a win over Jonesboro). Benton will still be too much though.
Benton 42 Montain Home 14

West Memphis vs Texarkana
I don't think this game will be quite as one sided as the Benton Mountain Home game. But Texarkana will have to bring their perfect A game and hope for several West Memphis mistakes for a win.
West Memphis 35 Texarkana 21

After round 1
West 3
East 1

Looking ahead
Greenwood vs El Dorado/Marion
Long trip for either team ends up with possible mercy rule but definite loss to top ranked Dogs.

Pine Bluff vs Lake Hamilton/Searcy
Either team could offer a decent game. Pine Bluff wins by 2 scores.

Jonesboro vs Benton/Mountain Home
Jonesboro yes is the top seed and one of the 4 possible teams who could host the trophy next month. But they aren't unbeatable. They let one slip against West Memphis and won close ones against Pine Bluff and Marion. Most likely their opponent will be Benton who is fully capable of keeping this game interesting. Benton can score but Jonesboro has been scoring more. May come down to defense.
Jonesboro vs Mountain Home- Hurricanes by 35
Jonesboro vs Benton- Hurricanes by 14

Russellville vs West Memphis/ Texarkana
Russellville has shown they are the real deal. Coach D is doing an outstanding job there. Look for the Cyclones to reach the semis for the first time since 2004 (FF source).

ricepig

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 05, 2016, 10:34:59 am
Thats going to be a tough game what does Eldo have they looked a little bit down early in the season Marion has a bunch of offense firepower thats going to be a good game

Well, I don't know anything about El Do, except they have an experienced playoff coach. I just think that will be the determining factor.

Colt

Marion has tons of firepower and some athletes on D. If El Do is starting the freshmen at QB, I don't think they can keep up.
Marion 42, El Do 21

LH/Searcy. If first of the year Searcy shows up it could be interesting, either way I think it's more of a shootout.
LH 49, Searcy 42

WM/Texarkana. Don't know much on Texarkana, but WM is tough, big, and physical. Their D-Line will cause problems, and have just enough big play ability to get a few.
WM 35, Texarkana 14

Benton/MH. Benton has played 3 weeks in a row now of the option. MH is playing their best football in years, and the kids believe they can win after beating WM for the first time in forever.
MH 28, Benton 27

T-Bone

"Jonesboro vs Benton/Mountain Home
Jonesboro yes is the top seed and one of the 4 possible teams who could host the trophy next month. But they aren't unbeatable. They let one slip against West Memphis and won close ones against Pine Bluff and Marion. Most likely their opponent will be Benton who is fully capable of keeping this game interesting. Benton can score but Jonesboro has been scoring more. May come down to defense.
Jonesboro vs Mountain Home- Hurricanes by 35
Jonesboro vs Benton- Hurricanes by 14"

Always fun to win but who really wants to watch a team dominate so much that it makes the game boring.  Jonesboro / Pine Bluff / West Memphis / Marion have been the top 4 in the East this season making things interesting.  Any team can lose any given game.  Just a part of the game that helps to make football fun.  I won't talk noise because I know anything can happen.  I will say our coaches are getting the Canes ready for a game no matter who we play.  People know Canes can score and often on normal days.  People know we have been having growing pains on defense but those growing pains are workouts that can get the players better when we learn from them.  I think the D is learning.  I expect a game every game no matter who is on the field. 

Pr8hd

November 05, 2016, 03:14:09 pm #8 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 03:18:46 pm by Pr8hd
A Jonesboro/ Benton matchup would be interesting because based on the scores and some of the takes, Jonesboro is still not that strong defensively and scoring at good clips. Meanwhile, Benton is pretty salty defensively and is not a bad team offensively as well. Jonesboro defense better continue to come along because the top 3 west teams all play pretty good defense that might slow down Jonesboro enough.

RiverRunner02

Russellville made Semi's in 2007 and 2008 too.

mlrfo4

Benton/MH. Benton has played 3 weeks in a row now of the option. MH is playing their best football in years, and the kids believe they can win after beating WM for the first time in forever.
MH 28, Benton 27
[/quote]

Last time they beat West Memphis was the year they played in state finals. 2006. A lot of similarities to how that season went. Not saying we have much of a chance. But we weren't supposed to be there last time. Just happy to see program much improved.

T-Bone

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 05, 2016, 03:14:09 pm
A Jonesboro/ Benton matchup would be interesting because based on the scores and some of the takes, Jonesboro is still not that strong defensively and scoring at good clips. Meanwhile, Benton is pretty salty defensively and is not a bad team offensively as well. Jonesboro defense better continue to come along because the top 3 west teams all play pretty good defense that might slow down Jonesboro enough.

Yes Jonesboro will be ready.  As I have said many times I like going into a game or games as the underdog.  I like competition.

Pr8hd

Quote from: T-Bone on November 05, 2016, 09:05:35 pm
Yes Jonesboro will be ready.  As I have said many times I like going into a game or games as the underdog.  I like competition.

I wouldn't think Jonesboro would be the underdog in either matchup. They are the #1 from the East so the target is on their back plus they get home field throughout.

T-Bone

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 05, 2016, 10:30:47 pm
I wouldn't think Jonesboro would be the underdog in either matchup. They are the #1 from the East so the target is on their back plus they get home field throughout.

I actually agree but it seems like no matter how well Jonesboro does one of the other teams get talked up more.  No question the Canes will get an advantage at home.  They have tools and should have a very large backing at home.

Pr8hd

November 06, 2016, 06:57:33 am #14 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:01:58 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2016, 09:02:48 am
Since we are past our different scenarios, it's time for actual game discussions. I'm sure some/most will jump straight to their team playing in WMS, but let's try to stick to thoughts on each round as they occur, lol.

My first round thoughts/predictions:

Marion vs El Dorado; I know the thoughts are that El Dorado is way down for their standards, but I think Coach Reed is a very experienced coach, and will find a way to win. El Dorado 28-24.

My thoughts on this solely based on a GW perspective in preference of who they play would be to not face ED again. While GW, handled them easily on the road the first meeting, I think that ED is very dangerous come the playoffs even when they seem a little down. I also think they have gotten a few players back now they have been without in the regular season. By most accounts, Marion sounds more formidable but I also remember being the 1 seed in 2014, having the bye week and losing to an ED team who took it to a GW team @ home that was sleep-walking the first 3 qtrs. I think GW learned their lesson a little better on how to handle Bye weeks based on last years results.

Pr8hd

Quote from: T-Bone on November 05, 2016, 11:03:52 pm
I actually agree but it seems like no matter how well Jonesboro does one of the other teams get talked up more.  No question the Canes will get an advantage at home.  They have tools and should have a very large backing at home.

The one thing I would say of Jonesboro's draw potentially is that in back to back weeks they would face 2 pretty physical teams (Benton in quarterfinals and Russellville in semifinals) not afraid to get after it who play good defense and have enough firepower offensively to give the Canes some trouble.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 06, 2016, 07:09:15 am
The one thing I would say of Jonesboro's draw potentially is that in back to back weeks they would face 2 pretty physical teams (Benton in quarterfinals and Russellville in semifinals) not afraid to get after it who play good defense and have enough firepower offensively to give the Canes some trouble.

Umm, since you haven't watched any of the East schools, how would you know they weren't as physical, by reading on FF, lol?

admorris24

Benton has faced the option attack the last 2 weeks and has given up a total of 175 yards to LH and Sheridan.  I don't anticipate Benton having any problem stopping the MH offense.  If we do not turn the ball over, it should be a convincing W at home 42-14.  My upset pick is Searcy over LH.   Should be a shootout.  Searcy 35-28

Pr8hd

November 06, 2016, 09:29:41 am #18 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:01:27 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2016, 08:10:48 am
Umm, since you haven't watched any of the East schools, how would you know they weren't as physical, by reading on FF, lol?

I do not recall saying the East teams weren't physical.  You are making that generalization. If anyone has indicated that Jonesboro or others are a little soft it would be in your own words (posts) where many many times you have said JB is too soft defensively, doesn't play the right players defensively, or in a game synopsis, that if JB got the ball back they would just go score on a 2 yard swing pass, doesn't sound like a physical tough defense that you are facing when that stuff happens. So, I assume I shouldn't believe what you say is what you are saying right?

I just stated that Benton and Russellville are physical teams that play good defense and are capable of posing some issues for JB. I don't think it will be a track meet. That's my observations in the games I saw against GW in back to back weeks. I also said JB should be favored in either game. [Sarcasm]  I am not going on HUDL to break down game film nor have I been invited to the school as a guest analyst based on those observations and my keen insightful posts on FF. One can only dream though......[/sarcasm]

I will leave that analysis to the coaches and players. I assume they can make a better educated guess than you or I. 

gatecrasher

El Dorado MASH unit:
5 starters out with season ending injuries...four more probably done.

They've used:
4 QBs
6 RBs
10 o-linemen
7 CBs

It's so bad they've moved freshmen up for the first time in my 35 years of being associated with El Dorado football.

GW don't have anything to worry about....this year anyhow. Enjoy while you can.

gatecrasher

I think we beat Marion though.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 06, 2016, 09:29:41 am
I do not recall saying the East teams weren't physical.  You are making that generalization. If anyone has indicated that Jonesboro or others are a little soft it would be in your own words (posts) where many many times you have said JB is too soft defensively, doesn't play the right players defensively, or in a game synopsis, that if JB got the ball back they would just go score on a 2 yard swing pass, doesn't sound like a physical tough defense that you are facing when that stuff happens. So, I assume I shouldn't believe what you say is what you are saying right?

I just stated that Benton and Russellville are physical teams that play good defense and are capable of posing some issues for JB. I don't think it will be a track meet. That's my observations in the games I saw against GW in back to back weeks. I also said JB should be favored in either game. [Sarcasm]  I am not going on HUDL to break down game film nor have I been invited to the school as a guest analyst based on those observations and my keen insightful posts on FF. One can only dream though......[/sarcasm]

I will leave that analysis to the coaches and players. I assume they can make a better educated guess than you or I.

Umm, did it ever occur to you that like GW, Jonesboro has some players capable of making physical teams, you know miss? I guess it was 3 yards and a cloud of pellets for GW against Benton and Russellville, lol. The lack of physicality by our secondary does concern me, but they've switched a few around to help some.

No, my concern with Benton and Russellville isn't physicality, it's their athleticism.

Pr8hd

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2016, 10:15:22 am
Umm, did it ever occur to you that like GW, Jonesboro has some players capable of making physical teams, you know miss? I guess it was 3 yards and a cloud of pellets for GW against Benton and Russellville, lol. The lack of physicality by our secondary does concern me, but they've switched a few around to help some.

No, my concern with Benton and Russellville isn't physicality, it's their athleticism.

+1 for the "cloud of pellets" remark

GW's offensive leader is actually their RB. They are way more balanced than most people ever realize for a spread attack team. So, it was not cram it down the throat necessarily, but they did and will do that if the teams allow it.  I would think JB would have far more athleticism than any of the West teams.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 06, 2016, 10:32:27 am
+1 for the "cloud of pellets" remark

GW's offensive leader is actually their RB. They are way more balanced than most people ever realize for a spread attack team. So, it was not cram it down the throat necessarily, but they did and will do that if the teams allow it.  I would think JB would have far more athleticism than any of the West teams.

According to the stats, GW throws for 260yds and runs for 225yds, Jonesboro throws for 300yds and rushes for 200 yards, not a big difference.

T-Bone

Jonesboro defense is much like a dog having to fight for food (wins).  They fight enough and they get better and smarter.  Well we all know they have had to fight.  Now they show us what they have learned.

q_dog_06

PLEASE DONT UNDERESTIMATE MARION THEY ARE A VERY GOOD TEAM AND A OFFENSE THEY CAN PUT UP POINTS WITHIN SECONDS

ricepig

Quote from: q_dog_06 on November 06, 2016, 07:25:47 pm
PLEASE DONT UNDERESTIMATE MARION THEY ARE A VERY GOOD TEAM AND A OFFENSE THEY CAN PUT UP POINTS WITHIN SECONDS

And give them up quicker!

MA

I think people are underestimating how physical Jonesboro is up front. Especially on offense. They have a lot of beef to go with ALL THOSE PLAYMAKERS. Seriously... It's crazy how many guys they have that can change a game.

I like Jonesboros front 7 on D. They aren't world beaters but they are more than adequate. The secondary struggles which is strange considering how many athletes Jonesboro has this season.

Jonathan Adams is so under recruited its comical.

ricepig

Quote from: MA on November 07, 2016, 12:13:21 am
I think people are underestimating how physical Jonesboro is up front. Especially on offense. They have a lot of beef to go with ALL THOSE PLAYMAKERS. Seriously... It's crazy how many guys they have that can change a game.

I like Jonesboros front 7 on D. They aren't world beaters but they are more than adequate. The secondary struggles which is strange considering how many athletes Jonesboro has this season.

Jonathan Adams is so under recruited its comical.

Yeah, Jonesboro has a very big, physical, and athletic offensive line, with more than adequate running backs. If you double Adams, you're leaving one of the waterbug WR's in one on one and they are as fast or faster.

I agree 100% on the secondary and I have a theory, but anyway......

Bomber_Believer

Honest question here,  Why does Benton have so much respect?  They won 6 games and of those 1 was above .500 and one was at .500, the rest were sub .500 teams.  I know they score alot of points, but looking around their opponents schedules it doesnt seem like thats a remarkable feat.  Dont get me wrong I know Mtn Home has had plenty of struggles, but I think Benton has already won according to several opinions.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Bomber_Believer on November 10, 2016, 05:51:31 pm
Honest question here,  Why does Benton have so much respect?  They won 6 games and of those 1 was above .500 and one was at .500, the rest were sub .500 teams.  I know they score alot of points, but looking around their opponents schedules it doesnt seem like thats a remarkable feat.  Dont get me wrong I know Mtn Home has had plenty of struggles, but I think Benton has already won according to several opinions.

It's the playoffs so there will be some surprises before it's over that said I think Benton is the clear favorite. MH's offense is so one dimensional. I think that plays into Benton's strength. They'll stack the box and shut down an offense like that.

maxswine

Just a guess, but I think Benton (like a few teams out of the west) was banged up this year and notably at the quarterback position.  I think maybe the fact that they are healthy or at least as healthy as they have been all year, maybe people are thinking of them to maybe make some noise.  I mean, you always look to see who is a low seed who could surprise.....maybe they are that team.

Again, just a guess. 

admorris24

Benton is 2 plays from being 8-2.  Had starting LB out against RV and QB playing with a broken hand in that game.  I think people like Benton bc in their 4 losses, they have turned the ball over 14 times,  so some think if they don't beat themselves, they could be tough.  I am sure JB would have rather seen LH at the #4 seed instead of Benton.

ricepig

Quote from: admorris24 on November 10, 2016, 07:26:26 pm
Benton is 2 plays from being 8-2.  Had starting LB out against RV and QB playing with a broken hand in that game.  I think people like Benton bc in their 4 losses, they have turned the ball over 14 times,  so some think if they don't beat themselves, they could be tough.  I am sure JB would have rather seen LH at the #4 seed instead of Benton.

Not really, we're tired of beating LH......

Oldbadger

November 10, 2016, 08:26:49 pm #34 Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:55:10 pm by Oldbadger
First, I don't think that a Benton win is guaranteed.  They will have to play their best, because Mountain Home will play their best.  Secondly, three of the losses for Benton were to overall top ten teams on FF.  They lost to them, but turnovers were the big difference in the games.  Benton played very well against those teams, therein lies the respect.  By the way, the cumulative record for the four teams Benton lost to is 40-8.

Bomber_Believer

I think its going to be a great game.  Mtn Home started the year 0-3...keep in mind they have won 1 game in 4 seasons prior to this year so they didnt know how to win.  Lost to Harrison(Finished 8-2) 21-13 and had 6 turnovers in the game.  Lost to Nettleton(Finished 5-5) 28-24 and again had multiple turnovers and led going into the fourth quarter.  Lost to Batesville(Finished 7-3) 8-6 in week 3.  It was a long time coming for them to get over the hump and finally broke through this year against a couple very weak teams and then beat a couple of pretty good teams.  I cant wait for the game.

Oldbadger

Welcome to Benton, Bomber_Believer. Have a safe trip down.  Long way but good roads.  You'll find friendly folks and a good atmosphere.  Great stadium and great city.  I would wish you good luck, but I wouldn't mean it.  I do hope your kids stay uninjured, but I hope we win! lol

Wildcat Football

Mtn Home fans safe travels...Benton usually plays very well at home with LH being an anomaly.  This is the playoffs and anything can happen. I'm done making predictions.  At this stage in the season, it comes down to the team that makes the fewest mistakes and who wants it the most.  Good luck to all teams in reaching the final destination...WMS in The Rock! 

T-Bone

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 11, 2016, 09:17:06 am
Mtn Home fans safe travels...Benton usually plays very well at home with LH being an anomaly.  This is the playoffs and anything can happen. I'm done making predictions.  At this stage in the season, it comes down to the team that makes the fewest mistakes and who wants it the most.  Good luck to all teams in reaching the final destination...WMS in The Rock!

Very well said.  I see MH going in as the true underdog but either team can come out with the W and that is why many of us love the game.  Fewest mistakes and who wants it the most is without a doubt the two things going forward.  Some very good teams out there on any given day.  Lets just pray the injuries are limited down the stretch.  It is more than just football games to many players.  Good luck to all the teams staying healthy and playing well.

admorris24

Quote from: T-Bone on November 11, 2016, 09:52:30 am
Very well said.  I see MH going in as the true underdog but either team can come out with the W and that is why many of us love the game.  Fewest mistakes and who wants it the most is without a doubt the two things going forward.  Some very good teams out there on any given day.  Lets just pray the injuries are limited down the stretch.  It is more than just football games to many players.  Good luck to all the teams staying healthy and playing well.

Could not agree more.  Safe travels to MH this afternoon and late tonight. 

admorris24

For the MH fans that cant make it to the game, you can watch the LiveStream at bentonpantherfootball.com or listen live on foxsportarkansas.com.  Live Stream is free

Bomber_Believer

Our local TV crew is going to be providing coverage at hometowntv.net as well.

6A Fan

Are there any other 6A schools that provide live stream?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: q_dog_06 on November 06, 2016, 07:25:47 pm
3 points at half against El Do. That's 1 point every 480 seconds

itsslim

Pine Bluff live stream: Www.meridix.com. Hit channels tab, search Arkansas Cycle sports network.

admorris24

The MH/Benton was a very good football game.  MH us a team on the rise especially with that bruiser FB.  Our LB's my son included bounced if him like they were a trampoline park most of the.night.  MH's undoing proved to be the 2 turnovers deep in Benton territory.  I was concerned with our ability to not put the Bombers away when we had a chance up 28-7 to start the 2bd half.  Now onto JB, who will be an entirely different animal to say the least

Bomber_Believer

Congrats to Benton.  The turnovers were indicitive of the team we were early in the season.  I was surprised we didnt collapse completely in the second half, but winning 3 straight coming in helped us fight to the end.  Good luck next week against Jonesboro.

Oldbadger

Bomber_Believer I have to say I was impressed with the MH team. I never felt comfortable until the last couple of minutes.  I know how that offense works and it's hard to defend.  They can pop one any minute.  Glad to come away with a win.  Had MH not made any turnovers it surely would have been a nailbiter and who knows who would have won.  Good luck next year!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas