• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bulldogs vs Mavericks

Started by The Future, September 03, 2016, 01:30:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pr8hd

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 08, 2016, 10:57:43 pm
Bro I don't think anyone knows what to think of week one. Or what to expect out of either team tomorrow night. I think Southside is probably cognizant but not happy that they have fallen a tier behind the top 7A teams as of late. I think they fit well in second tier though. Some want to place them in an irrelevant category but not so fast. I know they sent Cabot home early last year and likely to sneak up on another team or two this year. We shall see. Good luck to the dogs tomorrow night. I know they will be prepared and give a good effort.

I expect a good game as usual. I am sure SS is not happy with last weeks effort and I don't think GW can be too pleased with some of the mistakes against NS. SS gets GW at home a second year in a row, so that in itself is an advantage. I believe SS's last win against GW came in 2007 at SS home. 

You know I got to razz a little. Besides the chest thumping bravado and name calling on some of these posts., there is very little actual game or really smack talk....esp. compared to what it was in years past. If CJW sticks to a ground and pound attack it could be tough sledding for GW...in the past though he has showed a tendency to veer away from what was really working to go for style points and it cost him and the team.  If GW gets 518 yards of offense, like they did against NS, I think that would bode poorly for SS.

If only the SS band, would do songs from the "Top Gun" Soundtrack, that would be awesome along with a spirited performance of the "Charlies"....err Belles.

Just remember though..... "the plaque for second place is in the ladies room!"

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 09, 2016, 12:10:39 am
Right, you are an idiot CVS. Responsibilities in life start at a young age. The sooner anyone realizes their shortcomings, the sooner they can be corrected. You should really know who you're pointing a finger at before you get trigger happy. Not a wise move, but I would not expect any less from you, CVS.

This above all, to thine own self be true. Age and position are irrelevant.

GO BULLDOGS!!!
Thanks Papa, Daddy or the wannabe coach next door...who are you today?

bulldogger15

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 09, 2016, 10:16:27 am
Thanks Papa, Daddy or the wannabe coach next door...who are you today?
Have you asked Ol' Blue Blood who he wants you to be today?

Coach Venny Slocombe must be stuck on stupid cycle. Trashing kids, relatives and friends is your expertise CVS. Not one thing you've "predicted" has come true. You live in a fantasy world fueled by unrealistic ideas and dreams. Unfortunately, you can't think these things up for yourself and are spoon feed regularly by your handler.

What does he have you doing today? It is game day you know. Do you think Ol' Blue Blood will let you watch the first few plays vs Southside or will he just tell you what he thinks happened like last week?

Good luck Bulldogs and get ready Mavericks. It's about to go down!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

RD™

Baitshop will be selling "I was there" T-shirts at half time. Afterwards availability for these shirts will be on limited supply at various locales around Fort Smith and Greenwood. The only requirement will be a purchase over 25 cents (kind of like The Bandit when he sold albums at Kmart called "Let's Do Something Cheap and Superficial").

I won't be setting up an autograph booth because security detail has warned me there could still be an assassination attempt from this Marion posters years ago. So the Witness protection program shall continue. You'll be able to find me somewhere over near the Gyro stand drinking some Hoghead special Colt45 while smoking Steve Perry's Marlboros.

Stop by and drop a line.

FYI. Ill take the Rebelicks -6.5

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 09, 2016, 11:28:15 am
Have you asked Ol' Blue Blood who he wants you to be today?

Coach Venny Slocombe must be stuck on stupid cycle. Trashing kids, relatives and friends is your expertise CVS. Not one thing you've "predicted" has come true. You live in a fantasy world fueled by unrealistic ideas and dreams. Unfortunately, you can't think these things up for yourself and are spoon feed regularly by your handler.

What does he have you doing today? It is game day you know. Do you think Ol' Blue Blood will let you watch the first few plays vs Southside or will he just tell you what he thinks happened like last week?

Good luck Bulldogs and get ready Mavericks. It's about to go down!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!
Hahaha, you saying someone is trashing kids is so cool...especially after your post game tirade last year...classless..say what you want but that will live forever...lol...have fun and continue to make yourself look more and more stupid by the minute...I am done, I have realized I am bringing myself down to Papa, Daddy and the wannabe coach next doors level...Have fun arguing with yourself... ;D

SportsManiac

CVS, why are you wasting time arguing with these morons? The idiots are out in full force and early in the season at that!

Granny4two

I am SICK & TIRED of the two qb system!!!  Leave NOLAND in!!

Pr8hd

September 09, 2016, 08:29:46 pm #57 Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:32:26 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Granny4two on September 09, 2016, 07:48:02 pm
I am SICK & TIRED of the two qb system!!!  Leave NOLAND in!!

::)

GW has a couple of key guys dinged up.

Very sloppy game so far on both sides. GW playing lots of sophomores esp. @ receiver.

RD™

The offense looks smoother when Hales is running it.

Baitshop

I don't care what the score is and I don't care who the quarterback is, color me unimpressed with the UofG..

RD™

These officials suck both ways tonight. 21 penalties combined waaaaaay too many.

7AFBFAN

RD™

Baitshop

4:07 left in game .....up by 29....starting defense still in the game....classy move by the decision maker on the GW sideline

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on September 09, 2016, 09:35:16 pm
I don't care what the score is and I don't care who the quarterback is, color me unimpressed with the UofG..

Mavericks couldn't even buzz the right tower!

Madmax

I get called out for criticizing the SS coaching staff.  I find this totally unacceptable.  How many defeats in a row?  This feels like back in the day when SS couldn't ever beat NS, but the difference was back then NS truly had better athletes.  The difference in these two teams is pure coaching and nothing else.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Madmax on September 09, 2016, 10:08:42 pm
How many defeats in a row? 

Half a decade...or in simplified terms....5

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on September 09, 2016, 09:54:19 pm
4:07 left in game .....up by 29....starting defense still in the game....classy move by the decision maker on the GW sideline

Maybe CJW might want to develop something a little more imaginative than the swinging gate on extra points to score more points???  Lol!!!

catfish1

Baitshop

Baitshop

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 09, 2016, 10:14:54 pm
Maybe CJW might want to develop something a little more imaginative than the swinging gate on extra points to score more points???  Lol!!!

Unfortunately, the 2 point conversion wasn't the difference tonite....

Lumberjackfan1978

Pr8hd

September 09, 2016, 10:38:53 pm #72 Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:43:24 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Baitshop on September 09, 2016, 10:28:06 pm
Unfortunately, the 2 point conversion wasn't the difference tonite....

No, but come on....that's the best they got to throw at GW as far as strategy or new wrinkles for offensive production? They should have tried the ol' Statue of Liberty play.  ;D

SS was much, much bigger several guys 6'5" or 6'6" 300 poundish on the line, but unfortunately their team as a whole is not as well conditioned as GW. They were gassed and had tons of cramps. SS was killing GW on the pass mostly, but lots of wide open guys dropped balls or were overthrown. I don't know why you don't stick with that all game. It seems CJW always finds  the Achilles heel and then inexplicably decides to not twist the spear in it. 

Very sloppy by both teams really. I have never seen so many penalties and a few that were not penalties - like the SS personal foul the QB on the botched GW snap. It was ugly. One thing is for sure though, GW is very young tons of sophomores playing. Jones will take the W, but he won't be happy with the execution nor the penalties.

bulldogger15

September 09, 2016, 10:39:49 pm #73 Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:41:48 pm by bulldogger15
Quote from: RD™ on September 09, 2016, 09:07:38 pm
The offense looks smoother when Hales is running it.
Really? Were you watching the same game I was listening to? Connor Noland with 4 td's and player of the game.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

7AFBFAN

September 09, 2016, 10:47:27 pm #74 Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:53:44 pm by 7AFBFAN
Quote from: Pr8hd on September 09, 2016, 10:38:53 pm
No, but come on....that's the best they got to throw at GW as far as strategy or new wrinkles for offensive production?

SS was much, much bigger several guys 6'5" or 6'6" 300 poundish on the line, but unfortunately their team as a whole is not as well conditioned as GW. They were gassed and had tons of cramps. SS was killing GW on the pass mostly, but lots of wide open guys dropped balls or were overthrown. I don't know why you don't stick with that all game. It seems CJW always finds  the Achilles heel and then inexplicably decides to not twist the spear in it. 

Very sloppy by both teams really. I have never seen so many penalties and a few that were not penalties - like the SS personal foul the QB on the botched GW snap. It was ugly. One thing is for sure though, GW is very young tons of sophomores playing. Jones will take the W, but he won't be happy with the execution nor the penalties.

Very good description of the game. GW should have a cake walk to WMS. SS will have to improve to make the playoffs this year.

Baitshop

Congrats to the Greenwood Bulldog players, coaches, and fans on another victory over my snake bit Mavericks.....what is it, 5 in a row?

As I stated previously, I just didn't get my skirt blown up by tonite's version of the Bulldog....

I didn't think that the back end of the defense is going to slow down teams that pass and catch well, Southside had several players that were behind the defense that we either didn't throw it well or catch it...

I thought that I would be more impressed with the "two" D1 QB's, several poorly thrown balls by both, and surprisingly, I thought that the Noland kid had a better game running the ball. I will say that I did chuckle to myself a little in the 2nd quarter when two Maverick defenders had Hales, 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, by both legs and he was just standing there like the jolly Green Giant looking for someone to throw to.

I was impressed with the Woods kid (#30) that played running back tonite. Good speed to the corner and ran well between the tackles.

I thought that GW's defensive front 4 just spanked Southside's OL....I thought that Waldemar graduated...I'm so tired of the Bulldogs #63 living in my Rebel's....err, Mavericks backfield.

Southside, regardless of how it looked, actually looked better throwing the ball than it did last week. Progress made, but a ways to go.

Southside's defense was just gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter and GW took advantage of it...which is what you are supposed to do. Conditioning is part of game preparation and IMHO, FasDogs was the MVP for the Bulldogs tonite.

Once again, congrats to the fine folks from Greenwood....we'll get you next year.

B.S.

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 09, 2016, 10:39:49 pm
Really? Were you watching the same game I was listening to? Connor Noland with 4 td's and player of the game.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Dude! You are way too easy! Spit the hook!

Madmax

No, but come on....that's the best they got to throw at GW as far as strategy or new wrinkles for offensive production? They should have tried the ol' Statue of Liberty play.  ;D

Good to know you guys hammered us with undersized players, sloppy play, and a bunch of sophomores. Gives me hope for our future match ups.

Baitshop

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 09, 2016, 10:39:49 pm

GO BULLDOGS!!!

*Baitshop whispers*  Hey, be careful....your nepotism is hanging out.

Baitshop

Quote from: B.S. on September 09, 2016, 10:49:27 pm
Dude! You are way too easy! Spit the hook!

It's hard when there is shared DNA involved....

B.S.

Quote from: Baitshop on September 09, 2016, 10:54:10 pm
It's hard when there is shared DNA involved....

Get a little tongue tied tonight? Tough transition huh!

Baitshop

Quote from: B.S. on September 09, 2016, 10:56:31 pm
Get a little tongue tied tonight? Tough transition huh!

Had a couple....taped "Mavericks" to the inside of the window, right above eye level, and I also yellow highlighted the word "Mavericks" on the roster that I tape to the table in front of me for extra precaution.

Only let "Rebel" slip twice....the over under amongst everyone else in the press box was 8, so I collected a little cash at the end of the nite....it's gonna take some time for sure.

Pr8hd

September 09, 2016, 11:04:24 pm #82 Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:06:06 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Madmax on September 09, 2016, 10:53:05 pm

Good to know you guys hammered us with undersized players, sloppy play, and a bunch of sophomores. Gives me hope for our future match ups.

Jones is in his 60's so that ought to give you more hope than anything else for match-ups in the future.  I thought Wood and Noland really killed SS with their legs. They are both much faster than I realized or SS is just really slow. I'll go with the first take though. They are both juniors and it's a fact that GW played a ton of Sophs. - maybe as many as I have ever seen GW play and get significant PT/stats on both sides of the ball also one of the best (Holt) got hurt early on/did not return.   

The Future

Welp Greenwood ends their series with the Rebels at 5-1 and they start their series with the Mavericks at 1-0.

The Southside Mavericks have now never won a game.

Pr8hd

Quote from: The Future on September 09, 2016, 11:10:27 pm
Welp Greenwood ends their series with the Rebels at 5-1 and they start their series with the Mavericks at 1-0.

The Southside Mavericks have now never won a game.

Actually, they played at least one other time as Rebels I know of in 1983. They demolished GW and the Rebels won their first state championship that same year by stunning Keith Jackson's LR Parkview team for the title. They may have played another couple of times in football as well and if so they were Rebel wins also. GW did not become relevant against SS  or NS until CRJ arrived. 

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on September 09, 2016, 10:49:01 pm

I didn't think that the back end of the defense is going to slow down teams that pass and catch well, Southside had several players that were behind the defense that we either didn't throw it well or catch it...

They had the same issue last year, but they got better and were bolstered by the Collins boys (namely Garrett as a CB in that regard) coming back 4 games into the season

Quote from: Baitshop on September 09, 2016, 10:49:01 pm
I thought that GW's defensive front 4 just spanked Southside's OL....I thought that Waldemar graduated...I'm so tired of the Bulldogs #63 living in my Rebel's....err, Mavericks backfield.

He's (John Womack) just a junior as well.  He's a stud along the same mold of Travis Davis, Korban Waldemar, etc. GW has always been blessed by 1 of these type kids over the years. Someone that maybe is a little undersized by DL/DT  eye tests or measureables, but they can simply flat out play, cause havoc and are normally strong as they can be.
[/quote]

Dad of Future Dog

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 08, 2016, 10:29:48 pm
Welcome back brother. We need someone to stir the pot some. Bait is being awful quite. I saw someone sprinkling what looked like pixie dust on the field tonight. I sure hope it works this time.

Naw, it wasn't pixie dust.  But I think I did see someone get a great big ole dip of Copenhagen on the field.

Does Bait dip?

The Future

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 09, 2016, 11:19:35 pm
Actually, they played at least one other time as Rebels I know of in 1983. They demolished GW and the Rebels won their first state championship that same year by stunning Keith Jackson's LR Parkview team for the title. They may have played another couple of times in football as well and if so they were Rebel wins also. GW did not become relevant against SS  or NS until CRJ arrived.

I stand corrected. 5-2 that we for sure know of.

Any who know better can add to this.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Greenwood needs to clean up the mistakes..they will simply because CRJ is running the show. Both QB's looked good at times and both had some errant throws. Both ran well tonight. Really impressed with the Wood's kid, has a good burst.

Defense dominated up front and the back side will get better as times goes on...

U of G will be fine...

Southside...hmmmm, I really am gonna try and be nice 7A and Bait, but the truth is SS looked bad. I don't know what that line averages in weight but they should push GW around a bit more than they did. The defense was huge also but GW still ran the ball on them with ease...and as for conditioning, SS has got to get in better shape and that lays at the coaching staff's feet...no excuse for that. Bait, you slipped twice man...thought it would have been more to be honest, great job tonight!

Dad of Future Dog

My take on tonight game?  I wasn't to impressed with either team.  They BOTH had good moments.  But like someone said 21 combined penalties says something about someone, at least the refs were semi constant on both sides of the ball.

Otherwise, (OMG I hate to say this), but I can see the Mavs actually upsetting someone throughout the season, whether it is during regular season or playoffs, I don't know.

GW will get better and I think they will be ok, barring major injuries.  We should go far this season , but only time will tell.

I know the CRJ will pick over film and work on weak spots like he always has and he work out a lot of the kinks.

Thank goodness there was no major injuries tonight, I know a couple of SS players went down and was helped off the field.  Hope they are back for next week.

Oh Bait, you wasn't the only one that lets the "R" word slip.  I know I caught another announcer at least a couple of times;)

;D Pass the koolaid around the table and lets move on!!!

bulldogger15

September 10, 2016, 07:45:00 am #90 Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:12:39 pm by bulldogger15
Quote from: Madmax on September 09, 2016, 10:53:05 pm

+1

Baitshop, do you realize the amount of force it would take to blow a skirt your size up? Has it EVER happened? Yes, we had mistakes, penalties and played a ton of underclassmen, but we still blew the Mavericks out of the water. It could have been much worse. Poor conditioning is totally on the Southside coaches. Did you guys ever think about coming down for FASDOGS?

The Bulldogs are now off to demolish Alma.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

StopTheMBHate

Not to read as disrespectful, however the penalty on the botched snap was against the sideline. SHS had already received a warning earlier in the game. I did not see what happened as I (along with everyone else) was watching the ball bouncing around. As an official watching in an unbiased, non-official capacity, I can state that the penalty changed the entire complexion of the game. Do we know if it changed the result? No. However, SHS was still in the game at that point, and GW was able to take advantage of the free fifteen yards.

I would never speak badly of another official, however this line judge did strike me as a little over the top as I observed him instruct a gentleman (with a sideline pass) to back up, even though said gentleman was behind the restraining line and did not appear to be conversing with the official nor the only other person in the vicinity. I will state that the official (correctly) did stop an upcoming play as the umpire had spotted the ball almost a full yard farther from the goal line than it should have been.

RD™

I know one thing this Bulldog secondary is awful.

Jeep71

bulldogmom

Greenwood does need to work on some things! Southside defense looked tired before the half. #5 for Southside has the potential to be a scoring weapon. The line is huge. The problem can't just be conditioning. After last years game I thought Greenwood had a lot of work to do! The difference in that game was just one score. The secondary looked rough then and they got way better. I hope that happens again this year. There was also talk of the line needing work and they ended up being pretty awesome. Hope Southside puts the pieces together as well. Happy College Football Day!

Pr8hd

Quote from: StopTheMBHate on September 10, 2016, 09:48:55 am
Not to read as disrespectful, however the penalty on the botched snap was against the sideline. SHS had already received a warning earlier in the game. I did not see what happened as I (along with everyone else) was watching the ball bouncing around. As an official watching in an unbiased, non-official capacity, I can state that the penalty changed the entire complexion of the game. Do we know if it changed the result? No. However, SHS was still in the game at that point, and GW was able to take advantage of the free fifteen yards.

I would never speak badly of another official, however this line judge did strike me as a little over the top as I observed him instruct a gentleman (with a sideline pass) to back up, even though said gentleman was behind the restraining line and did not appear to be conversing with the official nor the only other person in the vicinity. I will state that the official (correctly) did stop an upcoming play as the umpire had spotted the ball almost a full yard farther from the goal line than it should have been.

My bad I was listening to TT  and GW radio feed. They seemed to think it was a personal foul on that. I knew SS had already had a sideline warning but you are right it was a big call that kept a drive alive and GW scored. The Gw radio crew were shocked it was called regardless if personal foul or sideline infraction. They said that guy was gutsy since he was on SS sideline. No matter the call it was costly to the Mavericks.

StopTheMBHate

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 10, 2016, 01:26:55 pm
My bad I was listening to TT  and GW radio feed. They seemed to think it was a personal foul on that. I knew SS had already had a sideline warning but you are right it was a big call that kept a drive alive and GW scored. The Gw radio crew were shocked it was called regardless if personal foul or sideline infraction. They said that guy was gutsy since he was on SS sideline. No matter the call it was costly to the Mavericks.

No worries. I don't think anyone knew what the call was. The white hat signaled it very quickly, and the arm behind the back motion is very subtle. I cannot speak for the PA, however my bet is that the box didn't even catch it.... with that or they didn't want to start a riot. And you're right, that was very gutsy, and I think the official's ears took a little abuse. :)

Pr8hd

Quote from: bulldogmom on September 10, 2016, 01:14:45 pm
Greenwood does need to work on some things! Southside defense looked tired before the half. #5 for Southside has the potential to be a scoring weapon. The line is huge. The problem can't just be conditioning. After last years game I thought Greenwood had a lot of work to do! The difference in that game was just one score. The secondary looked rough then and they got way better. I hope that happens again this year. There was also talk of the line needing work and they ended up being pretty awesome. 

I think is pretty accurate...there were lots of questions at first last year especially in secondary and like usual CRJ and staff got them worked out. They got better and better as the year went on, plus got the bump of getting the 2 Collins boys back. The young players will get better as well as they gain confidence. Several are already showing lots of promise and making some nice plays. GW has now beat the last 10 or so 7A teams they have faced in a row spanning back to 2014. They are doing something right for sure. It's not flawless by any stretch,  but sometimes even GW's worse may be better than another's best execution.

The whole conditioning thing almost worked against Arkansas last night as well, it was looking like the tempo got to them at the end much like SS. Vince Lombardi was right, "fatigue makes cowards of us all" no matter the level. However, coaching is every bit as important though. A good coach can make a huge difference when there is a significant talent gap or size differential, but make no mistake GW has some talent of their as well.

Baitshop

Quote from: StopTheMBHate on September 11, 2016, 12:49:19 pm
No worries. I don't think anyone knew what the call was. The white hat signaled it very quickly, and the arm behind the back motion is very subtle. I cannot speak for the PA, however my bet is that the box didn't even catch it.... with that or they didn't want to start a riot. And you're right, that was very gutsy, and I think the official's ears took a little abuse. :)

We never saw the white hat make the call. There were several times in the game that he didn't get clear enough from the play us to find him and relay the call. There were 2 or 3 times that he wasn't even the one that signaled the final call on what the penalty was. Of course, there were so many flags thrown in the game he may have just been too tired to clear the action to be seen.

High Voltage

Wow...since the state championship game last year I have read so much garbage it is just plain awful. This version of Greenwood football is different, just like every year under Rick.

The kids will be fine, the secondary will come together, the offensive line will gell, the receivers will start making the clutch catches and yes, somebody will step up and be the playmaker for the receiving core. And you know why, heck we all know why. Rick will make it happen. We are all so blessed to have him as our coach. He has raised our kids since 2003 into some pretty good young men, not to mention good football players. Now on to the big question, QB. Rick has a pretty good problem on his hands. He has two QB's that could start for any school in Arkansas. Both kids are very talented and both are fine young men. Right now we have a two QB system that seems to be working. Think about it, we have lost one game since Rick has incorporated this system with Noland and Hales. If one QB is hot we are fine, if one is off hopefully the other will step in and win the game. I think it's high time as Greenwood fans we step up our game and support both kids. I know some adults have gotten involved and they should all back off and let Rick do his thing, COACH these kids. Now I realize that most on here was a mega star back in the day and have forgotten more than Rick knows. But hey, Rick is the coach for now so it is his decision. And for the record, who are we to question a coach with Rick's success? The Noland kid is fast and is very elusive, the Hales kid is big and will run you over. Both kids have strong and accurate arms. I think we are pretty lucky to have both. And from what I hear, the two boys get along great! They seem to be better adults than some on this board.
So from this point on can we all just sing Kumbaye, watch Greenwood make a run at yet another state title? If one QB does get more playing time than the other on a certain night, just remember that it is Rick's decision and not yours. Also, when you say the line sucks or the secondary is terrible just remember that some of those kids read this board. Let's build them up, not tear them down.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas