• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public vs Private Schools Pile (Past/Present/Future/All Classes)

Started by MDXPHD, December 17, 2015, 03:12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachTaylorPA

May 18, 2017, 10:49:07 pm #1050 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:13:53 pm by CoachTaylorPA
Since 2006

Siloam springs won 5A Volleyball 4 times
Nettleton won 5A volleyball 2 times
ValleyView has won the last two 5A titles and 6 state titles in 4A
Paragould won the two titles before that
Jonesboro Westside has won two state titles in 4A.
Brookland has won 3 state titles

Since 2006 in girls basketball
Watson Chapel has won two straight 5A championships
Riverview won two straight 3A titles in 2015-16
Malvern won two straight 4A titles in 2013-14
Camden Fairview won 2 straight state titles in 5A
Hot Springs, Paragould, Greenwood, And Vilonia all won one title in 5A.
No private school has ever won 5A girls basketball.

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 18, 2017, 08:19:46 am
For the first time in 10+ years, the semifinals for girls soccer didn't have a private school in them. Also, Maumelle girls have a chance to win this year, and they would be the only public school other than Harrison to win a 5A girls championship. Of course, they have to beat Harrison to win it.

I also saw where Trinity Christian won another track title. It's not surprising considering the amount of kids they have on scholarships that participate in track.

Intelligentsia

Again, with all factors equal, private schools will dominate.  If girls basketball at PA was a top priority of the school, parents and players, and if they hire a top tier coach, they could have a dominant team.  Even with that advantage, it would be difficult for any small-mid sized high school to dominate in more than a couple of sports due to the amount of time needed by each athlete to take the extra time to become their best (with the exception of one or possibly two "super athletes" most schools have).   Even when private schools dominate in a prioritized sport most years, everyone will have a down year now and then, and a public school with whom they compete will come up with a great team with a great coach and Great support which will overcome the natural advantage of the private school.  IMO

Quote from: CoachTaylorPA on May 18, 2017, 10:49:07 pm
Since 2006

Since 2006 in girls basketball
Watson Chapel has won two straight 5A championships
Riverview won two straight 3A titles in 2015-16
Malvern won two straight 4A titles in 2013-14
Camden Fairview won 2 straight state titles in 5A
Hot Springs, Paragould, Greenwood, And Vilonia all won one title in 5A.
No private school has ever won 5A girls basketball.

MDXPHD

Intelligentsia is correct. Wherever they choose to prioritize and want to win, they win. CAC does it in women's basketball and soccer. They don't push all of their funds to football like PA. By funds, I mean academic scholarships included. Trinity Christian does it for track.

4real

What we really need to do is keep on this path of watering down the competition so everyone can get their feel good trophy. Make ten classifications, move private schools into a league of their own with 4 classifications. Then, nobody has to be especially upset anymore.  We can also take the mercy rules and drop it to 15 points after one quarter.  Why not take the same argument to the republican led government and convince them to increase the qualifications to be on welfare and level the playing field for everyone

4real

Ok I apologize that might have offended someone

MDXPHD

Quote from: 4real on May 19, 2017, 08:31:44 am
What we really need to do is keep on this path of watering down the competition so everyone can get their feel good trophy. Make ten classifications, move private schools into a league of their own with 4 classifications. Then, nobody has to be especially upset anymore.  We can also take the mercy rules and drop it to 15 points after one quarter.  Why not take the same argument to the republican led government and convince them to increase the qualifications to be on welfare and level the playing field for everyone

I don't think it's a "feel good" type scenario. There is so much more to it than just surface level arguments everyone sees.

CoachTaylorPA

May 19, 2017, 09:13:57 am #1056 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:20:48 am by CoachTaylorPA
I think we have a really good basketball coach. Rick Treadway is our coach and he worked at Sheridan for 20 years which may be where you have heard his name.  Also our girls basketball team works extremely hard.   Interesting that from the outside you would say our coach isn't top tier and that basketball isn't important.  Also in regards to the East's dominance in volleyball championships would you say all factors are equal ? Do those programs work really hard with a great feeder system from youth to high school ?  What is the reason for their success.  Respectfully, CT

Quote from: Intelligentsia on May 19, 2017, 06:48:44 am
Again, with all factors equal, private schools will dominate.  If girls basketball at PA was a top priority of the school, parents and players, and if they hire a top tier coach, they could have a dominant team.  Even with that advantage, it would be difficult for any small-mid sized high school to dominate in more than a couple of sports due to the amount of time needed by each athlete to take the extra time to become their best (with the exception of one or possibly two "super athletes" most schools have).   Even when private schools dominate in a prioritized sport most years, everyone will have a down year now and then, and a public school with whom they compete will come up with a great team with a great coach and Great support which will overcome the natural advantage of the private school.  IMO

Intelligentsia

May 20, 2017, 12:00:47 am #1057 Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:03:08 am by Intelligentsia
The advantage is in the opportunity for  individual students to excel when they come from a family "of means". The next logical extension of that argument is that the greater number of players required for a specific game, the greater potential for advantage for a private school where relative wealth is prevalent.  If I just have 6-8 girls, most (if not all) of whom have the parental means and support to fund their participation in "club" activities (particularly in v-ball), the advantage of the private school dwindles.  It's the means of the parents that I believe makes the difference (in providing financial support for "club", camps, training, as well as the far greater home stability, support, .....).  I don't know if you've taught in a public school setting, but I can tell you the economic status of the vast majority of the players in the successful Programs.  They are teams made up of girls whose parents can afford to have them in club and who follow them all over the area.  No, there is not an advantage in v-ball for private schools because it is made equal by the parents of means in the public school whose girls play.  That, of course, in addition to some good coaching and school support.  The same is not true of football.  PA, by virtue of the number of parents who can provide the extras AND a stable home environment, will realize an advantage, all other things equal.  I can't see how that is not absolutely obvious. 

Quote from: CoachTaylorPA on May 19, 2017, 09:13:57 am
I think we have a really good basketball coach. Rick Treadway is our coach and he worked at Sheridan for 20 years which may be where you have heard his name.  Also our girls basketball team works extremely hard.   Interesting that from the outside you would say our coach isn't top tier and that basketball isn't important.  Also in regards to the East's dominance in volleyball championships would you say all factors are equal ? Do those programs work really hard with a great feeder system from youth to high school ?  What is the reason for their success.  Respectfully, CT

JessieP

Quote from: Intelligentsia on May 20, 2017, 12:00:47 am
The advantage is in the opportunity for  individual students to excel when they come from a family "of means". The next logical extension of that argument is that the greater number of players required for a specific game, the greater potential for advantage for a private school where relative wealth is prevalent.  If I just have 6-8 girls, most (if not all) of whom have the parental means and support to fund their participation in "club" activities (particularly in v-ball), the advantage of the private school dwindles.  It's the means of the parents that I believe makes the difference (in providing financial support for "club", camps, training, as well as the far greater home stability, support, .....).  I don't know if you've taught in a public school setting, but I can tell you the economic status of the vast majority of the players in the successful Programs.  They are teams made up of girls whose parents can afford to have them in club and who follow them all over the area.  No, there is not an advantage in v-ball for private schools because it is made equal by the parents of means in the public school whose girls play.  That, of course, in addition to some good coaching and school support.  The same is not true of football.  PA, by virtue of the number of parents who can provide the extras AND a stable home environment, will realize an advantage, all other things equal.  I can't see how that is not absolutely obvious.

It is obvious, to everyone but PA supporters. PA's success is not exclusively because of hard work and great coaching. They do have that, yes. The thing that sets them apart is money and no restriction of boundaries. They have a distinct and unfair advantage before they step on the field. An advantage that public schools cannot compete with. I wish it were 11 vs. 11 and may the best team win but there has been far too much evidence put forth, on this site, for that to be reality. But hey, it's just high school football and this is not the first time victory was bought, far from it.   

Red Devil Alum

I honestly don't think some of you even read the posts on this thread. I, and basically every PA poster on here, have said that PA and private schools have certain advantages stemming from money. Some of the NWA public schools have similar advantages. But no matter how many times it is said, someone like Jessie will then post "everyone but PA knows it has advantages." You can disagree with us on points, but instead you just act like the posts never happened.

But to minimize a three-peat to this rationale alone is a mistake. Also, this weekend there are 44 schools competing for baseball, soccer and softball championships. 40 of the 44 are public schools. PA wants to win a championship in baseball and soccer just as bad as it does in football.

I know this post will be turned around and misconstrued, as that's the only way this thread has reached 22 pages. I'll say my peace for the last time: PA, most private schools and some public schools that are "wealthy" do have advantages compared to schools that are not. PA doesn't recruit players by giving financial aid in exchange. PA didn't win its third straight championship because they changed uniforms at half or had a tent on the sidelines. There were 12 schools that played in the state finals last year, only one of them was a private school. Private schools represented a smaller percentage of teams in the finals than they do general representation in the AAA. When Kevin Kelley leaves PA, I strongly expect a drop off to occur.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on May 20, 2017, 09:23:30 am
I honestly don't think some of you even read the posts on this thread. I, and basically every PA poster on here, have said that PA and private schools have certain advantages stemming from money. Some of the NWA public schools have similar advantages. But no matter how many times it is said, someone like Jessie will then post "everyone but PA knows it has advantages." You can disagree with us on points, but instead you just act like the posts never happened.

But to minimize a three-peat to this rationale alone is a mistake. Also, this weekend there are 44 schools competing for baseball, soccer and softball championships. 40 of the 44 are public schools. PA wants to win a championship in baseball and soccer just as bad as it does in football.

I know this post will be turned around and misconstrued, as that's the only way this thread has reached 22 pages. I'll say my peace for the last time: PA, most private schools and some public schools that are "wealthy" do have advantages compared to schools that are not. PA doesn't recruit players by giving financial aid in exchange. PA didn't win its third straight championship because they changed uniforms at half or had a tent on the sidelines. There were 12 schools that played in the state finals last year, only one of them was a private school. Private schools represented a smaller percentage of teams in the finals than they do general representation in the AAA. When Kevin Kelley leaves PA, I strongly expect a drop off to occur.

Ehh, that's debatable. Most schools in Arkansas want s football one much more than any other sport. So it's not just PA.

Intelligentsia

May 20, 2017, 11:23:29 am #1061 Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:26:02 am by Intelligentsia
My final post on this thread: I don't know what, if anything, should be done to address potential advantages held by private schools, but as I've mentioned earlier, considering the current political landscape, the issue will only become more prevalent.  I can't see penalizing kids because of their economic situation, whether wealthy or poor; that to emphasize my relatively neutral status concerning this issue.  I appreciate the acknowledgement of most P.A. posters concerning the potential advantage of private school sports programs, and I hope the AAA will address the situation thoughtfully in order to continuously seek a fair and equitable "playing field" for all schools, especially considering the likelihood the issue will grow.  Unless it take an unexpected turn, that's all for me on this thread.

Iknewthemwhen

It's the foundational support that these private schools can provide, at home, in the way the kids are raised, the expectations that they have placed upon them, the facilities, the "extra" training and camps, the ability of mom and dad to make sure they are up, fed and at school every day on time and are asked about their day at the end of it.  Come on the advantages are significant. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on May 20, 2017, 09:47:22 pm
It's the foundational support that these private schools can provide, at home, in the way the kids are raised, the expectations that they have placed upon them, the facilities, the "extra" training and camps, the ability of mom and dad to make sure they are up, fed and at school every day on time and are asked about their day at the end of it.  Come on the advantages are significant.

And to be able to select only specific students. They can deny whoever they want. No esl kids. No special education. No free/reduced lunches. The list goes on and on about the advantages.

sevenof400

Quote from: CoachTaylorPA on May 18, 2017, 10:49:07 pm
Since 2006

I'm not sure the VB comparison applies here.  Yes, we would need to consider the effect of club VB but it is far easier (and less expensive) to secure higher level VB training and competition than it is in just about any other sport.  That means proximity to areas where club VB is offered begins to matter more and NE and NW Arkansas have that advantage.  I don't think the public v private consideration is nearly as important in VB than it might be in other sports.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 05, 2017, 04:01:49 pm
It's not up to the AAA. It's a voluntary organization. The privates could very easily start their own league and also have way more relaxed rules about recruiting. This is why it would would be terrible to force privates into their own league. They could be governed by their own organization.

Also, those privates named above, offer than Subiaco, have excelled in other sports. Why does everyone act like this is strictly to do with football? It's far bigger than that.

Far bigger than what?     

How's your research paper coming along, MDXPHD?   

Time to discuss football!   8)

Hogman2018

If anyone doesnt think private schools has a big advantage something wrong them! No sense in arguing with them!

Jackets3

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 20, 2017, 10:42:34 pm
And to be able to select only specific students. They can deny whoever they want. No esl kids. No special education. No free/reduced lunches. The list goes on and on about the advantages.

Totally agree. All I hear is that they are playing up because they have 3A enrollment. Their total student numbers may be 3A enrollment but their football team gets to pick and choose which students/athletes they want. I don't see many 5A rosters that don't have at least 4 or 5 players playing both ways and 3A schools definitely multiple players that do. How many does PA have playing both ways with the exception of the offensive linemen they use on third down occasionally against good running teams. Not to mention the number of players they have had over the last 10 years go on to play D1 football compared to other 3A or even 5A schools.

blueandwhite

After much deliberations and soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that the only advantage that the private schools have is they can get athletes from a larger geographical area. Even I will argue is not much of an advantage if you look at all the transfers that happen between public schools.

Everything else (nice stadiums, coaches' salaries, nice uniforms, etc) all come down to where the governing body of the school wants to put their money. Every school (private and public) have some type of board that supervises the schools. Public schools have elected school boards and private schools all have some form of board of trustee or board of directors. They decide where the money is spent. Just look at the discrepancies in between public schools with their coaching salaries and facilities to see what I am talking about

Intelligentsia

Quote from: blueandwhite on August 28, 2017, 02:49:16 pm
After much deliberations and soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that the only advantage that the private schools have is they can get athletes from a larger geographical area. Even I will argue is not much of an advantage if you look at all the transfers that happen between public schools.

Everything else (nice stadiums, coaches' salaries, nice uniforms, etc) all come down to where the governing body of the school wants to put their money. Every school (private and public) have some type of board that supervises the schools. Public schools have elected school boards and private schools all have some form of board of trustee or board of directors. They decide where the money is spent. Just look at the discrepancies in between public schools with their coaching salaries and facilities to see what I am talking about
So neither cultural, socioeconomic, nor academic advantages (among others), realized by private school students provide an advantage?  I appreciate your careful deliberation concerning this issue, but I would argue that research and logic point to a clear advantage in football, where a great number of players available provide a significant advantage.  Combine those advantage with the issues you cite, student availability and school priority and you have the ingredients for a consistently dominant program.  Have I mentioned this before? :)

Yellowcake

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 28, 2017, 04:10:05 pm

So neither cultural, socioeconomic, nor academic advantages (among others), realized by private school students provide an advantage?  I appreciate your careful deliberation concerning this issue, but I would argue that research and logic point to a clear advantage in football, where a great number of players available provide a significant advantage.  Combine those advantage with the issues you cite, student availability and school priority and you have the ingredients for a consistently dominant program.  Have I mentioned this before? :)

You mean like Baptist Prep? LR Catholic? Conway Christian? Etc?

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Yellowcake on August 28, 2017, 08:31:30 pm
I'm not sure what your asking, Yellow cake?  Please read my post carefully, I'm choose my words carefully.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 28, 2017, 08:56:02 pm
I'm not sure what your asking, Yellow cake?  Please read my post carefully, I'm choose my words carefully.
Just having the ingredients doesn't make a dominant program. Just like the schools Yellow Cake mentions. Takes a pretty good chef to put the ingredients together.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Yellowcake on August 28, 2017, 08:31:30 pm

After seeing Baptist Prep tonight, I don't think they have realized anything from the advantages listed

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 28, 2017, 09:30:25 pm
Just having the ingredients doesn't make a dominant program. Just like the schools Yellow Cake mentions. Takes a pretty good chef to put the ingredients together.
I believe I was clear in making that point, though it does not diminish the undeniable potential of private schools to capitalize on the obvious advantages I mentioned above and in previous posts. 

PA Dad

This horse was dead three years ago.  Let's beat it some more!

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 28, 2017, 09:32:03 pm
After seeing Baptist Prep tonight, I don't think they have realized anything from the advantages listed
Simply because they have not made winning a priority for one sport means nothing.  They have obviously placed a high priority on boys basketball, and given the advantages, they are a dominant program.  Deny the advantages of private schools in areas of priority and you simply sound defensive, at best.

Go Postal

They play other boys/girls sports also and here is a list of the past state champs and state runner-ups Top Ten of 58 boys/58 girls games in that other Spring sport.  This includes teams 7A and below.  Some of them have done very well for being a small school compared to the larger public schools.

STATE CHAMPIONSHIP AND RUNNER-UP RECORDS
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall State Boys/Girls Championships for all Conferences
12 Bentonville (4B / 8G)
12 Harrison (6B / 6G)
10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
9 Pulaski Academy (3B / 6G)
9 Central Arkansas Christian (2B / 7G)
8 Siloam Springs (4B / 4G)
6 Little Rock Christian (3B / 3G)
6 De Queen (6B)
5 Fayetteville (1B / 4G)
5 LR Catholic (5B)
Overall State Boys/Girls Runner-ups for all Conferences
8 Pulaski Academy (3B / 5G)
6 LR Christian (1B / 5G)
6 Searcy (2B / 4G)
6 Fayetteville (6G)
6 Central Arkansas Christian (4B / 2G)
6 Mtn Home (5B / 1G)
6 Russellville (3B / 3G)
5 Siloam Springs (4B / 1G)
4 Mount St. Mary (4G)
4 LR Central (2B / 2G)

Intelligentsia

Whooped this dead horse sufficiently.😎. I now occurs to me that I previously committed to cease posting to this thread; I am old and forgetful.  So, in the words of a great American icon, "And that's all I've got to say about that".

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 29, 2017, 06:28:56 am
Whooped this dead horse sufficiently.😎. I now occurs to me that I previously committed to cease posting to this thread; I am old and forgetful.  So, in the words of a great American icon, "And that's all I've got to say about that".

Have yourself a chocolate 😀

JessieP

I decided to sit out this thread (yet here I am, I guess I am slow) because of an article I read. The article was referring to basketball in large cities but it very much applies. It said that there is one glaring advantage public school have over private schools in the world of athletics, the public's respect. For all the advantages private schools enjoy, financial, drawing area and numerous others, the thing the kids don't have is the chance to bask in the glory of victory unfettered. The perceived advantages of a private school are always attached like an asterisk to their titles and that is grossly unfair to the kids. When a public school wins a title the kids walk the malls, restaurants and other gathering places like conquering victors. Kids from private schools are treated with gossip, whispers and sentences that start with "of course they won, they have....".

Say what you want about private schools, I have said as much as anyone, but at least let teenage kids enjoy the fruits of their labor. Even if private schools have the many advantages listed here, ad nauseam, the kids still sacrifice their summers and free time. They are still at school working hard hours after the rest of the student body has gone home. They still have to prove it between the lines. Newspaper articles, television interviews and posters in the school hallways are nice but what champions truly want is respect from their peers. Private school rarely get that and when your talking about kids that's just not fair.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 29, 2017, 07:24:48 am
Have yourself a chocolate 😀

That's always a good idea!  :)

I was sincerely asking how Mr.Phd was coming along on his paper and findings and everyone goes silent?   :-\

bearbacker52

New to this, maybe it has been answered before, but why don't the private schools have their own league?

blueandwhite

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 28, 2017, 04:10:05 pm

You have the cultural, socioeconomic, academic advantages discrepancies between different public schools too. So now instead of public and private school debate, we now have rich public schools vs poor public schools vs private schools debate. Maybe instead of classifying by school enrollment, we need to classify by maybe average income of families going to that school or by test scores of the students.

Intelligentsia

Blueandwhite, Indeed there are advantages between public schools.  To clarify, I have not advocated for changes to the current system of classification, though a limited fluid reclassification of schools based achievement is an interesting idea. 
JessieP, I agree that Private School kids, coaches, and parents should be recognized for their achievements.  The point I make about the advantages they realize is simply to say that their success is also influenced by nature of affluence.  I have not advocated anything being done to alter the current system, though I wish something could be done to address the disparity in the quality of educational opportunities for many inner city and Delta schools in Arkansas.

Maynard G Krebs

What is the record number of pages for a post on FF?

HorseFeathers

Iknewthemwhen

I believe that private institutions have more flexibility on where they choose to spend their money.  The public schools are subject to evaluation according to state dept of Ed rules.   
This debate will never be solved, as long as the two play in the same organization. It is what it is, as they say.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 30, 2017, 09:24:25 pm
Wow....dare I ask the subject?

It's about current gas prices in various locales. Seriously.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 30, 2017, 09:56:03 pm

I started to guess that.  Thanks for the info.  Btw, its 2.09 on Hwy 10 murphys in LR

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 30, 2017, 10:01:45 pm
I started to guess that.  Thanks for the info.  Btw, its 2.09 on Hwy 10 murphys in LR

😂

It's like 2.03 at the Kroger in Maumelle. Or it was earlier this week. $2 even with a Kroger card. Then again, with as many groceries as we buy every week, I can't remember the last time I've paid more than $1.80.

Grond

Paragould beat Jonesboro in volleyball this week. 5A beating 6A. With Paragould's past volleyball and girls basketball championships, not to mention State Band Championship, it shows that a private school advantage is certainly effective.........

Oh, wait.  Paragould is a public school. Sorry about that.....my mistake.

beach bum

August 30, 2017, 10:29:58 pm #1093 Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:36:11 pm by beach bum
Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 30, 2017, 04:30:16 pm

The soccer thread will break that one day....  because us soccer hooligans down there are on a trajectory of posts that can't be matched :D

beach bum

How many kids does PA have as an average per grade 9th-12th grade right now? My guess is the numbers say they are a 3A school probably then bumped to 4A because they are obviously a private school. Then throw in they play one classification higher upon request. What else do you guys want them to do? Go up to 7A?

PA Dad

Quote from: beach bum on August 30, 2017, 10:42:40 pm
How many kids does PA have as an average per grade 9th-12th grade right now? My guess is the numbers say they are a 3A school probably then bumped to 4A because they are obviously a private school. Then throw in they play one classification higher upon request. What else do you guys want them to do? Go up to 7A?

I don't know the exact number but PA has historically averaged about 100 students per grade.

By the way, I'm not adverse to PA moving up in classification.

Go Postal

August 31, 2017, 07:36:02 am #1096 Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:39:29 am by Go Postal
Quote from: beach bum on August 30, 2017, 10:29:58 pm
The soccer thread will break that one day....  because us soccer hooligans down there are on a trajectory of posts that can't be matched :D
^^^^^^^This is true due to the fact that this World wide sport is played all year, not just for a season like football.

But,

Doesn't this forum's topic come up on the other sport's forums also?  I wonder how many pages added together of all of them would this topic have then?

Overdahill

Quote from: beach bum on August 30, 2017, 10:29:58 pm

you mean Futbol?  :D

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 30, 2017, 09:56:03 pm

That is a thread that always stays current.   

GuvHog

Quote from: PA Dad on August 30, 2017, 11:11:40 pm
I don't know the exact number but PA has historically averaged about 100 students per grade.

By the way, I'm not adverse to PA moving up in classification.

Agreed. PA should move up to 6A in football for the next cycle.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas