Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, November 18th, 2017.
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review
REMINDER that with games on Thursday, the Pick'em will lock at noon Thursday.
Week 8 Review
Week 7 Review
Week 6 Review
Week 5 Review

Author Topic: 2015 BASKETBALL RANKINGS FEBRUARY 17  (Read 24913 times)

Offline businesstron

• Starter
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
Re: 2015 BASKETBALL RANKINGS FEBRUARY 17
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2015, 12:02:13 pm »
Here my question to the ECS and Clarendon supporters..   Who needs to be taken out of this list so that one of those schools can be on it.  Every school on the list has a victory over at least one school in the top 10.  ECS and Clarendon don't have any that I know about.    I can think of areguement for them at the 10th  spot but thats just about it.   Why just those two and not Mclellan, Monticello, Hall, El Dorado or even Junction City?   Heck Huntsville only has one loss at this point.

BOYS
1.   LR Parkview (21-2) next: Sheridan
2.   Jonesboro (19-4) next: West Memphis
3.   North Little Rock (17-5) next: Searcy
4.   Bentonville (19-7) next: Springdale
5.   Van Buren (18-5) next: Siloam Springs
6.   Springdale Har-Ber (17-6) next: Fayetteville
7.   Alma (18-4) next: Greenwood
8.   Rogers Heritage (16-9) next: FS Southside
9.   FS Northside (16-8) next: Rogers
10.   Fayetteville (18-5) next: Springdale Har-Ber

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
  • i feel more like i do now than i did awhile ago!
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:29 pm »
Here my question to the ECS and Clarendon supporters..   Who needs to be taken out of this list so that one of those schools can be on it.  Every school on the list has a victory over at least one school in the top 10.  ECS and Clarendon don't have any that I know about.    I can think of areguement for them at the 10th  spot but thats just about it.   Why just those two and not Mclellan, Monticello, Hall, El Dorado or even Junction City?   Heck Huntsville only has one loss at this point.

BOYS

It's pretty easy to get a "victory" over a top 10 school when the list is made up of what 80-90% 7A schools, which is over 50% of the entire class. So that argument isn't really valid in my book.

Offline businesstron

• Starter
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2015, 04:07:44 pm »
Here my question to the ECS and Clarendon supporters..   Who needs to be taken out of this list so that one of those schools can be on it.  Every school on the list has a victory over at least one school in the top 10.  ECS and Clarendon don't have any that I know about.    I can think of arguement for them at the 10th  spot but thats just about it.   Why just those two and not Mclellan, Monticello, Hall, El Dorado or even Junction City?   Heck Huntsville only has one loss at this point.

BOYS

It's pretty easy to get a "victory" over a top 10 school when the list is made up of what 80-90% 7A schools, which is over 50% of the entire class. So that argument isn't really valid in my book.

Yet those schools are top ten for a reason. Parkview beat two top 10 teams in Texas.  Jonesboro has beaten the best team in 7a twice.  Bentonville beat a top 5 team in Missouri and also beat one of the best teams in Louisiana.  Most of the other schools have good wins over good competition from different states.  You work your way into the list by beating good teams.   Clarkville and Jacksonville had to do the same a couple of year ago. 

On my end size doesn't factor into this ranking.  The quality of the actual team and the strength of schedule matters to me.   I've seen every team on this list except Alma in person a couple of times.  I've see Alma online a few times.   I've seen one Clarendon game this year plus a crapload of highlights from last year.   I haven't see ECS though, or Junction City or Monticello. 

But why do you think those schools should be top 5 or more in the top 10?  Who do you think they will beat and why?

Offline A-Good-One

• Formerly "Dr Chim Ritchalds"
  • Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2015, 04:13:13 pm »
I see where he's going.

ECS and Clarendon, some think, "deserve" top five (!!!) or top 10. But why them over a McLellan or Monti? That's a great question, business.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2015, 04:14:25 pm »
I see where he's going.

ECS and Clarendon, some think, "deserve" top five (!!!) or top 10. But why them over a McLellan or Monti? That's a great question, business.

For starters, Clarendon beat McClellan.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2015, 04:17:44 pm »
Here my question to the ECS and Clarendon supporters..   Who needs to be taken out of this list so that one of those schools can be on it.  Every school on the list has a victory over at least one school in the top 10.  ECS and Clarendon don't have any that I know about.    I can think of arguement for them at the 10th  spot but thats just about it.   Why just those two and not Mclellan, Monticello, Hall, El Dorado or even Junction City?   Heck Huntsville only has one loss at this point.

BOYS

Yet those schools are top ten for a reason. Parkview beat two top 10 teams in Texas.  Jonesboro has beaten the best team in 7a twice.  Bentonville beat a top 5 team in Missouri and also beat one of the best teams in Louisiana.  Most of the other schools have good wins over good competition from different states.  You work your way into the list by beating good teams.   Clarkville and Jacksonville had to do the same a couple of year ago. 

On my end size doesn't factor into this ranking.  The quality of the actual team and the strength of schedule matters to me.   I've seen every team on this list except Alma in person a couple of times.  I've see Alma online a few times.   I've seen one Clarendon game this year plus a crapload of highlights from last year.   I haven't see ECS though, or Junction City or Monticello. 

But why do you think those schools should be top 5 or more in the top 10?  Who do you think they will beat and why?

It's still easier for the 7A schools to get a win, versus a "top 10" school when that's almost all the list is made up of, when it's really just a "conference win"

I see no reason Clarendon couldn't beat any of the 7-10 teams, I believe they have wins over teams that have beaten some of the top 10 teams.

As for your comment about "seeing a crapload" of last year's Clarendon team, they returned basically everyone from that team, they have only gotten better.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:25:21 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES »

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2015, 04:25:52 pm »
I'd say that's a good start, Pick.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2015, 04:32:34 pm »
I'd say that's a good start, Pick.

I don't have any delusional thoughts that they are top 5, but 7-10, is definitely achievable, nothing they have done makes me believe that Clarendon couldn't beat them.

Offline businesstron

• Starter
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:04 pm »

BOYS

It's still easier for the 7A schools to get a win, versus a "top 10" school when that's almost all the list is made up of, when it's really just a "conference win"

I see no reason Clarendon couldn't beat any of the 7-10 teams, I believe they have wins over teams that have beaten some of the top 10 teams.

As for your comment about "seeing a crapload" of last year's Clarendon team, they returned basically everyone from that team, they have only gotten better.

The only full game i saw of Clarendon last year was the state final against Cedar Ridge...it wasn't a good look for them.  The game this year I saw was Pine Bluff.     

All that aside they look like a good athletic team, not alot of size and I'm not crazy impressed with their mid to perimeter shooting.  I just don't trust them against a team that would limit their transition points and make them play run a half court offense.   I think they'd struggle against Fayetteville or Van Buren and Parkview, Jonesboro, NLR and Northside would  have the people to run them off the floor if they played that game.  All of those teams can slow down the game as well because they have the size and personnel to do it.   

All of the matchups would be fun to watch but I don't think Clarendon would win.

I think Heritage and Alma would entertaining winnable games though.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2015, 06:40:05 pm »

BOYS

The only full game i saw of Clarendon last year was the state final against Cedar Ridge...it wasn't a good look for them.  The game this year I saw was Pine Bluff.     

All that aside they look like a good athletic team, not alot of size and I'm not crazy impressed with their mid to perimeter shooting.  I just don't trust them against a team that would limit their transition points and make them play run a half court offense.   I think they'd struggle against Fayetteville or Van Buren and Parkview, Jonesboro, NLR and Northside would  have the people to run them off the floor if they played that game.  All of those teams can slow down the game as well because they have the size and personnel to do it.   

All of the matchups would be fun to watch but I don't think Clarendon would win.

I think Heritage and Alma would entertaining winnable games though.

The slow down game is something they have been working on all season, the cedar ridge game taught their coach a little. I believe you would be impressed with their half court game if you saw them play now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:42:09 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES »

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2015, 07:04:39 pm »
Here comes - gasp - an opinion from me! :)

Even if I didn't believe the way I do about those small schools, it'd be tough for me to bring another outside contender in higher than 9th. And really, kinda hard overall.

That's because, for my money (and more importantly, by my eyes and analysis, which is no better or worse than anyone else's here) teams 6-10 are super, super hard to tell apart. Actually, I'd say teams 5-10 now that Harms isn't playing for Van Buren anymore.

I see it as Parkview and Jonesboro are a very clear top two. NLR and Bentonville are very clear next group. After that? Sheesh.

Alma beat Bentonville, but lost to Paris.
Van Buren lost to Bentonville, lost to Fayetteville, beat Alma twice.
Har-Ber, split with Fayetteville, beat Heritage
Heritage, beat Northside once, lost to Northside once
Fayetteville, split with Springdale, Har-Ber, Heritage, Northside but also beat Bentonville
Northside, split with Hall, Fayetteville, beat Parkview, Har-Ber

If you can makes heads or tails out of that mess, good luck.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2015, 07:16:33 pm »
I see the top 4 the same as you see do. The argument I have for Clarendon busting into the 10, is there is a team or 2 who lost to McClellan, whom,Clarendon beat. In this case, that's all we have to base things off of, common opponents.

I just saw where har-ber only beat E.P.C. by 11, a team that's not even ranked in 2A. The case is there for Clarendon, whether or not they make the top 10, the argument, with good cause can be made.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:24:10 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES »

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2015, 08:32:24 pm »
I don't think there is a team in the listed top 10 that played McLellan. For what it's worth, I'd probably list the "next" five as Hot Springs, ECS, Clarendon, McLellan and West Memphis. The only issue I personally have - and this is a me-problem - is that of those five I've only seen three of them in-person.

Also, I tend to agree that most nights Har-Ber is 10th "best" of that top 10. When they're playing peak basketball, they're definitely better than Heritage and Alma and probably Fayetteville and Van Buren. But they never seem play peak basketball; thus their 11-point win against EPC. But, by the way, that EPC game...Har-Ber was up almost 25 in the second half before they started jacking around (which, again, that goes back to my 'never play peak basketball').

I'd say from a sheer talent perspective Heritage is 10th. Alma 9th. Van Buren 8th. Fayetteville 7th. Har-Ber 6th. Northside 5th. But that's on talent alone and I don't mean that to suggest that's where each should be ranked.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2015, 08:48:44 pm »
Yea I went back and checked again, I guess I was going common opponents of common opponents. Lol

Offline Bulldog92

• Starter
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2015, 03:04:33 pm »
Just wondering, Where does Clarendon need to be ranked??

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2015, 03:07:27 pm »

In 2A?

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:33 pm »

Well, they played their worst game of the year and lost (the game has a question of the score, 2 unofficial books have Clarendon winning by one, I know it doesn't matter now, but its kind of strange that 2 books have the exact score, one from a neutral man, I know at the 3:00 mark if third qt they took 2 points from Clarendon and gave 1 to mineral springs, with no explanation), but anyway nothing can be done now.

They have wins over 6A pine bluff and 5A McClellan both of whom are playing for their respected state titles.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Legend
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:46 pm »

Well, they played their worst game of the year and lost (the game has a question of the score, 2 unofficial books have Clarendon winning by one, I know it doesn't matter now, but its kind of strange that 2 books have the exact score, one from a neutral man, I know at the 3:00 mark if third qt they took 2 points from Clarendon and gave 1 to mineral springs, with no explanation), but anyway nothing can be done now.

They have wins over 6A pine bluff and 5A McClellan both of whom are playing for their respected state titles.

But Clarendon isn't playing for theirs(Sp?)...2A is kinda like the MidMajors/LowMajors in the NCAA's...Win a ton of games during the regular season, beat some teams that maybe you weren't supposed to, and lose in the first round of the tournament, and your not going to be ranked.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:11 pm »

But Clarendon isn't playing for theirs(Sp?)...2A is kinda like the MidMajors/LowMajors in the NCAA's...Win a ton of games during the regular season, beat some teams that maybe you weren't supposed to, and lose in the first round of the tournament, and your not going to be ranked.

Oh, I dont think they should be since they lost.

Offline Bulldog92

• Starter
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2015, 11:15:26 am »

Which takes me back to one of my original posts, a small school needs to win their state tournament before they can be in the talk for overall top 10. 

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2015, 11:35:02 am »

Which takes me back to one of my original posts, a small school needs to win their state tournament before they can be in the talk for overall top 10. 

IF, they would have won state, they would have had to be close to top 5, especially if pine bluff and McClellan both win, BUT they didn't, so it's a mute point.

But it is funny that a 2A team that didn't win their state, possibly could end up with wins over the 6A and 5A state champs.

Offline Ctucker

• 2nd String
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2015, 01:46:10 pm »
I think maybe tenth if they would have won state. But ceder ridge last year is better than any 2a team I've seen this year and they didn't get rank in top10 overall.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »
I think maybe tenth if they would have won state. But ceder ridge last year is better than any 2a team I've seen this year and they didn't get rank in top10 overall.

They didn't have the body of work Clarendon put in, before the meltdown.

Offline Ctucker

• 2nd String
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2015, 02:04:42 pm »
I guess I didn't look at that because teams have bad games during the year, just like Clarendon did in state. But there body of work was just as good only bad lose was to Jonesboro and Jonesboros team from last year would beat Clarendon even worse than they did ceder ridge. There only other loses they was missing half there team and that was just 2. I look at the teams and ceder was better.

Offline Ctucker

• 2nd String
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2015, 02:05:54 pm »
And also ceder didn't have a melt down at the end.

Online BrianfromCarlisle

• Assistant Coach
  • Woooo Pig Sooiee!
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2015, 02:26:48 pm »
a top 10 poll is fluid.  It changes constantly.  At the time, Clarendon was deserving of top 10.  After the loss, no.  This isn't a final poll. 

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2015, 02:43:36 pm »
I guess I didn't look at that because teams have bad games during the year, just like Clarendon did in state. But there body of work was just as good only bad lose was to Jonesboro and Jonesboros team from last year would beat Clarendon even worse than they did ceder ridge. There only other loses they was missing half there team and that was just 2. I look at the teams and ceder was better.

Like I said, I don't think Clarendon should be ranked either. All I was making a point about, is Clarendon, at worst will have victories over 3 state runners-up, very possibly could be 3 winners, that's pretty good. But it doesn't matter.

Offline Ctucker

• 2nd String
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2015, 03:10:56 pm »
That's true it's just hard as a small school, but I seen several players that can play d2 ball this year at state tournements and a couple that possibly d1 if they work hard at the game, diffently have phisical tools. The pike kid from BIC really impressed me I don't think d1 but d2 he has good size shoots good from outside and drives well to the basket very smart tough player. I think he was best all around player at state.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas