Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Monday, November 20th, 2017.
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review
Week 8 Review
Week 7 Review
Week 6 Review
Week 5 Review

Author Topic: ADG Top 10 2/15/15  (Read 6852 times)

Offline neds

• Assistant Coach
ADG Top 10 2/15/15
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:32:50 am »
1) Little Rock Parkview
2) Jonesboro
3) Bentonville
4) NLR
5) Fayetteville
6) Fort Smith Northside
7) Van Buren
8) Springdale Har-Ber
9) Alma
10) Episcopal Collegiate
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:02:13 am by neds »

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
  • i feel more like i do now than i did awhile ago!
Re: ADG Top 10 2/15/15
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:00:51 am »
I saw were Episcopal had a nice win last night over Arkansas Baptist.

Offline neds

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:09:10 am »
They did. Team is very well balanced and last night Kelvin Robinson stepped up when needed to carry the offensive load. Nice win going into district play.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:06:27 am »
I see two problems, Jonesboro isn't high enough, and Episcopal is too high. Isn't this how that works?   ;D

Offline A-Good-One

• Formerly "Dr Chim Ritchalds"
  • Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:18:57 am »
For the first time all season there are zero issues with this poll. It's not where I would rank everyone - which is what most people think when they freak out about rankings - but I'll be darned if it isn't super close to the actual truth.

Offline SNWA

• 2nd String
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 12:01:11 pm »
Can someone post the girls.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:24:56 pm »
Can someone post the girls.
1) Northside
2) NLR
3) Central
4) Cabot
5) GW
6) Hall
7) Conway
8) Fayetteville
9) Ozark
10) Bentonville

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 12:33:19 pm »
That one, however....

Offline WPWells

• Formerly 12th Man
  • Hall of Famer
  • Be strong in The Lord and never give up hope
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »
Biggest issue there is how low they have Conway

Offline SNWA

• 2nd String
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 06:24:13 pm »
#5 and 7 repeat.

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »
No. 5 definitely. No. 7...depends. It'd be my pick, though, right now.

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:32:28 pm »

I don't have an opinion on Episcopal either way, but a win over AR Baptist is not that impressive.  I watched them earlier in the year, and they don't have a lot of talent; just some size.  They would lose to most solid 7A JV programs, and would get routed by any of the top 10 programs. 

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:26 pm »
I don't have an opinion on Episcopal either way, but a win over AR Baptist is not that impressive.  I watched them earlier in the year, and they don't have a lot of talent; just some size.  They would lose to most solid 7A JV programs, and would get routed by any of the top 10 programs.

This.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:25:40 pm »

And what makes your opinion any more valid than anybody else's? I mean they are ranked in the,top 6 of their classification.

Offline PASS

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 12:15:30 am »

AB has a new coach this year. They struggled early in the year. If you look at their second time through their conference schedule, they improved dramatically. I'm not saying they would beat 7A teams, but I am saying they would beat 7A JV teams. When you make absurd claims like that, you lose all credibility with your posts. Hard to take you seriously.

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 01:38:55 am »
I think, Pick, that when they have played bigger schools they were whollllly destroyed. There was no "Oh, it was just a bad game." It was evident the difference.

Offline TheOfficial

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 02:02:18 am »

AB isn't very good

Offline TheOfficial

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:50 am »

I agree.  AB wouldn't be in the top 10 of the 3A

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 05:21:30 am »

I agree.  AB wouldn't be in the top 10 of the 3A

So, 4A and 5A aren't  as good as 3A or 2A? Isn't that going against the bigger is better argument?

Offline Easy

• Water Boy
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 06:55:48 am »
Someone needs to take a look at the 5A central boys conference McClellan, Mills, Jacksonville, Fair, PA could give any of the teams in the top 10 a run for their money! All of these teams come around later in the year and right now all of them are playing at a high level.  The top team in the south, east, or west most likely would not make it to state if they were in the central.  On the girls side of the central the number one team in the 5A is PA and Jacksonville, Sylvan Hills, and Beebe are playing pretty well and could surprise in the state tournament.  State champion in girls and boys could very well come out of the central conference.

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 08:22:30 am »
I hate the classification debates, but in basketball there is not as big of a gap as in football.  There are small schools that sometimes have the right make up to compete with any team (when I was in college, I used to enjoy going to see Bald Knob and Mountainview).  The biggest difference is the number of athletes.  Typically (not always) on a great small school you will have 1 or 2 solid players, and then some role players.  The difference in large schools is that there are athletes at every position.  Check out Northside this year.  They are very athletic at all 5 positions and right now still stand in a battle for 2nd, 3rd or 4th in their conf. 

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:18 am »
Someone needs to take a look at the 5A central boys conference McClellan, Mills, Jacksonville, Fair, PA could give any of the teams in the top 10 a run for their money! All of these teams come around later in the year and right now all of them are playing at a high level.  The top team in the south, east, or west most likely would not make it to state if they were in the central.  On the girls side of the central the number one team in the 5A is PA and Jacksonville, Sylvan Hills, and Beebe are playing pretty well and could surprise in the state tournament.  State champion in girls and boys could very well come out of the central conference.

And 2A Clarendon has beat McClellan

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:44 am »
I hate the classification debates, but in basketball there is not as big of a gap as in football.  There are small schools that sometimes have the right make up to compete with any team (when I was in college, I used to enjoy going to see Bald Knob and Mountainview).  The biggest difference is the number of athletes.  Typically (not always) on a great small school you will have 1 or 2 solid players, and then some role players.  The difference in large schools is that there are athletes at every position.  Check out Northside this year.  They are very athletic at all 5 positions and right now still stand in a battle for 2nd, 3rd or 4th in their conf.

Clarendon has a solid starting 5 with 2-3 coming off the bench.

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:32 am »

And what makes your opinion any more valid than anybody else's? I mean they are ranked in the,top 6 of their classification.

Because I've seen AB play and all the 7A guys on here know I watch a lot of 7A ball.  I can't speak for Episcopal and Clarendon (they both sound solid), but to say AB is even remotely good is comical.  They would probably go 0-14 in the 7A West.  They are slow and have very little athleticism.  I watched them get clobbered by an OK Columbia Hickman team that has 1 elite athlete. 

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 09:23:42 am »

Clarendon has a solid starting 5 with 2-3 coming off the bench.

Wish I could see them play.  They def sound like they have a solid squad this year. 

Offline Bulldog92

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 09:26:10 am »
Sounds like you Episcopal and Clarendon fans need to go explain to your coaches that y'all want to put the top five overall teams on your schedules for the next few years. 

Offline neds

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 09:33:43 am »
ECS played LR Parkview the week after the football play-offs concluded , four of their five starters started on the football team, they lost 55-51.
Lost the next night in OT to LR McClellan. Those two are their losses to teams from AR.
Other three losses were to teams from OH, AL and LA. All of those schools were large class or largest class schools from their respective states.
Just some history since you posted the statement/question.

Offline Bulldog92

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:13 am »
 You all  are playing the what if game. " If we could play them now we would beat them because we had football players that haven't had time to practice", do you not think those two teams might be better now than they were at the beginning of the season.  This argument will be about two different schools next year.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:44 am »
Sounds like you Episcopal and Clarendon fans need to go explain to your coaches that y'all want to put the top five overall teams on your schedules for the next few years.

Yeah, get in the Rumble/Whataburger or one of the other good non-conference tournaments. I was disappointed when Bentonville pulled out of the Arkansas Challenge? and we had to play Springdale.

Offline Easy

• Water Boy
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 09:43:07 am »

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 09:47:04 am »
ECS played LR Parkview the week after the football play-offs concluded , four of their five starters started on the football team, they lost 55-51.
Lost the next night in OT to LR McClellan. Those two are their losses to teams from AR.
Other three losses were to teams from OH, AL and LA. All of those schools were large class or largest class schools from their respective states.

Played both games tough, but still lost them.  What big teams in AR has Episcopal beat this year?

Offline Bulldog92

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 09:53:21 am »

Played both games tough, but still lost them.  What big teams in AR has Episcopal beat this year?
McClellan isn't even in the top ten and they lost to higher classified teams from out of state yet still arguing to be in the top five in Arkansas??

Offline Easy

• Water Boy
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:13 am »

a lot of upsets happen early, I am talking about now. A lot of the teams in little rock take a while to really get going because of so many transfers to different schools, but by the middle to late in season they really come together and start playing well. I am just saying look at them now all of the teams mentioned are playing real well right now.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 09:58:46 am »

Again I will say this, Clarendon HAS played up, they BEAT McClellan, they beat pine bluff at p.b., they beat dollarway, they have beat EVERY team that is on their schedule.

I promise it's not just as easy as "schedule the big boy's", you think Bentonville, N.L.R., Fayetteville, etc. etc. would go to Clarendon to play? You know they won't, and you can't expect Clarendon to do all the traveling. I bet they wouldn't meet them at a neutral site either. The only chance they have to play those type teams, is in holiday tournaments, and still then it's hard to get in one with those "BIG" schools. Mainly because of this perception that bigger is always better, which is not always the case.

Clarendon may bomb out and not even win the 2A title, but as of right now, they are about as hot of a team there is in Arkansas regardless of class. Their resume proves what I'm saying. The closest they have been played is 7 to #3 ranked Augusta at Augusta, not McClellan or pine bluff or dollarway or riverside or Stuttgart could manage to keep it that close.

a lot of upsets happen early, I am talking about now. A lot of the teams in little rock take a while to really get going because of so many transfers to different schools, but by the middle to late in season they really come together and start playing well. I am just saying look at them now all of the teams mentioned are playing real well right now.

And I guess you think a small school doesn't get better as the year progresses? Most all of Clarendons kids went from football to playing basketball in less than a week. Why don't you call up McClellan and ask them if They want to put their #1 ranking on the line against Clarendon at a neutral site. I bet they wouldn't want it to happen.

Offline BrianfromCarlisle

• Assistant Coach
  • Woooo Pig Sooiee!
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 10:07:20 am »
Pick,

It's hard for people from the bigger towns to believe that a little town like Clarendon can have a team full of really good basketball players.  What's even better? Their Jr. High is loaded again, so it looks like they will be there to stay for a few years. 

Offline Bulldog92

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 10:12:07 am »
Pick I understand what you are saying we are a 4A team that has a pretty good girls program. We go to Little Rock and Heber during the early part of the season and play NLR, Cabot, Watson Chapels, etc. There are not any schools that our coach shies away from.  I don't get caught up in the overall rankings as much because I hope those games prepare us to play the top schools from the northern part of the state in 4A.  I have had this same discussion with PASS about CAC but I wouldn't let it become this much of an issue until the state tournaments are over and see how everyone shakes out. Good luck to y'all!!

Offline Easy

• Water Boy
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 10:17:21 am »

Again I will say this, Clarendon HAS played up, they BEAT McClellan, they beat pine bluff at p.b., they beat dollarway, they have beat EVERY team that is on their schedule.

I promise it's not just as easy as "schedule the big boy's", you think Bentonville, N.L.R., Fayetteville, etc. etc. would go to Clarendon to play? You know they won't, and you can't expect Clarendon to do all the traveling. I bet they wouldn't meet them at a neutral site either. The only chance they have to play those type teams, is in holiday tournaments, and still then it's hard to get in one with those "BIG" schools. Mainly because of this perception that bigger is always better, which is not always the case.

Clarendon may bomb out and not even win the 2A title, but as of right now, they are about as hot of a team there is in Arkansas regardless of class. Their resume proves what I'm saying. The closest they have been played is 7 to #3 ranked Augusta at Augusta, not McClellan or pine bluff or dollarway or riverside or Stuttgart could manage to keep it that close.

And I guess you think a small school doesn't get better as the year progresses? Most all of Clarendons kids went from football to playing basketball in less than a week. Why don't you call up McClellan and ask them if They want to put their #1 ranking on the line against Clarendon at a neutral site. I bet they wouldn't want it to happen.
I never mentioned Clarendon in my original post, all I am saying is the teams I have mentioned have improved greatly and should be looked at now. I don't live in the past, I live in the present and who knows what would happen if they played Clarendon now but I am sure they wouldn't back down and would be glad to play. Don't take things so personal and don't be so defensive. I just posted about the central teams and their improvement. I havn't seen Clarendon play to comment on them.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:47 am »

I never mentioned Clarendon in my original post, all I am saying is the teams I have mentioned have improved greatly and should be looked at now. I don't live in the past, I live in the present and who knows what would happen if they played Clarendon now but I am sure they wouldn't back down and would be glad to play. Don't take things so personal and don't be so defensive. I just posted about the central teams and their improvement. I havn't seen Clarendon play to comment on them.

Nothing personal, it's just your comment read like, only those schools improve as the year goes along. Wether that's how you meant it or not, that's how it read. It just gets old how people think that the 7 or 6 in front of their "A" , automatically makes them better. Now I agree that very very few small schools could compete, much less win, but it does happen.

Offline MomaLion

• Assistant Coach
  • How Bout Them Lions!!!
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 10:32:37 am »
Nope, we lose most of our team after this season lol. We will still have lots of talent but will definitely take a hit.

Offline A-Good-One

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 10:32:49 am »
Nobody is saying they're automatically better. They're tried-and-true better (mostly).

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 10:33:48 am »
One thing people fail to see is, in the big towns, there are SO many things for kids to do, come one of the delta towns, there is nothing, so most play basketball year round. Its real easy to get enough kids together to play some hoops.

Offline pick_DA_EAGLES

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:25 am »
Nobody is saying they're automatically better. They're tried-and-true better (mostly).

Looks to me like everyone is saying it's automatic. But it is what it is. We can debate this till the ice melts and still get no where. Lol

Offline WPWells

• Formerly 12th Man
  • Hall of Famer
  • Be strong in The Lord and never give up hope
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 10:39:34 am »
Here's my opinion and it might be somewhat unpopular:

Clarendon and ECS should both be top 10. Neither should be top 5. Clarendon should be higher than ECS because, due to the fact that they're undefeated, they have played the schedule that was presented to them and there is nothing more they could do

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
It's all in fun.  At least in basketball you can make the argument for 1 or 2 teams.  The funny ones to me are in football when people think that a JC or Charleston can compete with the likes of a Bville, Fville, NLR, etc...

Offline MomaLion

• Assistant Coach
  • How Bout Them Lions!!!
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:34 am »
Thanks for all the confidence in Clarendon :) but please don't jinx us lol. Those guys work hard and hopefully stay humble.

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 10:44:01 am »
Here's my opinion and it might be somewhat unpopular:

Clarendon and ECS should both be top 10. Neither should be top 5. Clarendon should be higher than ECS because, due to the fact that they're undefeated, they have played the schedule that was presented to them and there is nothing more they could do

That's not too far fetched.  I do think both of these teams would have a tough time beating any of the top 9 listed above, but you never know what can happen on any given night. 

Offline neds

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 10:48:28 am »

McClellan isn't even in the top ten and they lost to higher classified teams from out of state yet still arguing to be in the top five in Arkansas??

I didn't argue for anything. I am answering your question(s).
There is no 'right answer' here. And if you think you have it figured out I would disagree, we simply will never know.

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:49 am »
So it sounds like most of us agree that both Clarendon and Episcopal have solid teams this year.  It does sounds like Clarendon has the better resume, noted above.  Just for comparison, what are Episcopal's best 5 wins this year?

Offline neds

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 10:56:24 am »
Larger schools on the ECS schedule were: LR Christian, AR Baptist, LR Central, Hot Springs Lakeside
All of those were dbl digit wins

Online Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 11:02:52 am »
Larger schools on the ECS schedule were: LR Christian, AR Baptist, LR Central, Hot Springs Lakeside
All of those were dbl digit wins

Thanks for the info.  Not taking anything from their great season, but their resume doesn't stack up to Clarendon IMO.  They do have a couple of good losses, but they are still losses.  Clarendon found a way to win games against much bigger schools. 

Not that I'm right, but I consider 5A and up big schools and 4A and down small schools. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas