Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Tuesday, November 21st, 2017.
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review
Week 8 Review
Week 7 Review
Week 6 Review
Week 5 Review

Poll

who is the best boys basketball team....

ECS
3 (17.6%)
Bentonville
2 (11.8%)
Jacksonville
1 (5.9%)
Jonesboro
2 (11.8%)
Charleston
0 (0%)
Parkview
1 (5.9%)
Jonesboro
2 (11.8%)
North lr
5 (29.4%)
Van buren
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 30, 2014, 05:09:27 pm

Author Topic: Top Team in Arkansas  (Read 8551 times)

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Top Team in Arkansas
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:09:27 pm »
Tell me if we need to switch any teams

Offline ricepig

• Legend
Re: Top Team in Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:36:38 pm »
Obviously, Jonesboro.

Offline centralarfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:44:49 pm »
Jonesboro, Parkview, Jacksonville are strong candidates. Pulaski Academy only has one significant player returning. Ward and Andrew Smith are not enough to make Charleston 3A champs this season. If K.Robinson does not return, ECS will not be nearly as strong as last season.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:22:23 pm »
better?

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:35 pm »
I'd probably say with the 7A Jonesboro is the best, we'll see against NLR this year.

Offline centralarfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:42:44 pm »
Why is PA and Clarksville being considered for anything?

Offline neds

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:40:54 pm »
Jonesboro, Parkview, Jacksonville are strong candidates. Pulaski Academy only has one significant player returning. Ward and Andrew Smith are not enough to make Charleston 3A champs this season. If K.Robinson does not return, ECS will not be nearly as strong as last season.

ECS will be better, much better, than last years team. They were a point away from beating the 7A champs last year. They are more mature and MUCH deeper team than last years state championship team. Very solid coaching to go along w/talented, smart kids. A true team and don't live or die with a single player, many weapons. 7A supporters can argue that a 3A team like this can't take the pressure (press) , but NLR tried that approach and ECS broke it over and over. Three of their kids play on the same AAU level that NLR, J'boro and Parkview kids play on (Hawks & Wings).

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:47 pm »
I agree I think ecs can compete maybe not beat but compete with anyone in the state.

Offline WPWells

• Formerly 12th Man
  • Hall of Famer
  • Be strong in The Lord and never give up hope
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:57 pm »
My top 5 (right now)

1. Jonesboro
2. NLR
3. Parkview
4. Bentonville
5. ECS
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:59:05 pm by 12th Man CHS »

Offline arkhoops94

• Water Boy
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:53 am »
Parkview has some great sophomores, Javon Franklin (6'7) will be a sophomore this year and he made all-state as a freshman for Parkview last year. NLR will be tough again this year, Adrian Moore is a stud, ECS will dominate 3-a again this year.. Kel Robinson, Allie Freeman, and Mahlon Martin are too much to handle.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 11:14:21 am »
What AAU team does Franklin play for

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:30 am »
Parkview has some great sophomores, Javon Franklin (6'7) will be a sophomore this year and he made all-state as a freshman for Parkview last year. NLR will be tough again this year, Adrian Moore is a stud, ECS will dominate 3-a again this year.. Kel Robinson, Allie Freeman, and Mahlon Martin are too much to handle.

PC's freshman looked good last year in the state tournament, they should be good.

Offline arkhoops94

• Water Boy
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 11:36:19 am »
What AAU team does Franklin play for
Arkansas Hawks. Along with several other players from Parkview and NLR, one from Dermott AR, a guard from Louisiana and a guard from Ozark.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:54 am »
I was gonna let my son play for them but couldn't work out something about practices

Offline arkhoops94

• Water Boy
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:43:40 am »
They are a good group. they won the Real Deal in the Rock and won the Great American Shootout in Texas, and made sweet 16 in the Fab48 Las Vegas tournament. 32-5 this summer.

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:44 am »
I think Southwest Christian out of Little Rock this year would easily be in the top 10.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »
I think Southwest Christian out of Little Rock this year would easily be in the top 10.
who else have they gotten

Offline Eagle20

• 2nd String
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 08:34:14 pm »
Not on the same playing field and play no schools from Arkansas.  They will have a few players coming from Africa where they went to conduct a camp this summer.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 11:55:51 pm »
Not on the same playing field and play no schools from Arkansas.  They will have a few players coming from Africa where they went to conduct a camp this summer.
are they in a regular conference like other schools

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 06:43:20 am »
it shows a 6'9" d-1 player from Serbia, Moses Kingsley's brother, and a 6'7" D-1 recruit who is moving from Memphis. It seems many of these players were on the Wings.

I wonder if Ron Crawford is involved.

Offline centralarfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:26 am »
it shows a 6'9" d-1 player from Serbia, Moses Kingsley's brother, and a 6'7" D-1 recruit who is moving from Memphis. It seems many of these players were on the Wings.

I wonder if Ron Crawford is involved.
Crawford is the Athletic Director.

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
It won't take 3 years and this will be the top high school basketball team in the state. With barbed wire on some of the Little Rock schools, top talent from LR will also move over to this school.

Also, it seems the AAA rules say member schools can't play against schools not part of their own state association. This will limit AAA schools from playing top prep schools. This is going to hurt AAA schools vs. these prep schools, as kids are going to want to play the top schools. People like Crawford are going to use this against the AAA schools and hurt the AAA basketball.

It's like Texas A&M now recruits against Texas by saying why would you want to play against the Big 12 when you can live in the same state and play against the SEC. I just don't think a kid with the talent of a Malik Monk will want to play against Rogers or Heritage when he can now live in Arkansas and play against Findlay Prep or Huntington Prep.

I sure hope the AAA changes the rule to allow member schools the opportunity to play whoever they want to ensure the best players at AAA schools aren't at a disadvantage vs. these prep schools.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 05:23:32 pm »
Why would schools want to compete against schools who don't have the same restrictions?

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »
You would have to ask all of the schools in the other states who play the top prep teams. Just call the best schools in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas. They have no issue with playing top competition.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:02 pm »
You would have to ask all of the schools in the other states who play the top prep teams. Just call the best schools in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas. They have no issue with playing top competition.

Sounds like you have plenty of opponents, doesn't look like you need the AAA to help you.

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »
If you've read any of my past posts, you would know I support AAA schools, and in fact have a child in the feeder system of a AAA school.   I just believe we can't act like we are in upward, but need to offer our players the opportunity to play the best competition available. If you are part of a AAA school that wants play in the kiddie pool against small schools, don't keep our AAA school wanting to swim in the deep end of the pool and play the best schools in our region.

I have friends in the surrounding states that laugh at our schools because we fear these types of programs. We will continue to lose players if we have this attitude.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:05 pm »
If you've read any of my past posts, you would know I support AAA schools, and in fact have a child in the feeder system of a AAA school.   I just believe we can't act like we are in upward, but need to offer our players the opportunity to play the best competition available. If you are part of a AAA school that wants play in the kiddie pool against small schools, don't keep our AAA school wanting to swim in the deep end of the pool and play the best schools in our region.

I have friends in the surrounding states that laugh at our schools because we fear these types of programs. We will continue to lose players if we have this attitude.

Fear?? Nope, we just have set of rules and regulations that all member schools abide by, wouldn't it be easier for them to change and adapt to the rules, then the AAA change for these type of schools? Our school beat the top teams in Texas last year in Ft. Worth, we don't hide from anybody. What school are you?

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »
Bentonville.

Also, you didn't beat the top team last year in Texas. That would have been Prime Prep, and before that Grace Prep.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:59 am »
Bentonville.

Also, you didn't beat the top team last year in Texas. That would have been Prime Prep, and before that Grace Prep.

Now, is Prime Prep still open, maybe having some difficulties?? What Texas schools played them, I believe they have separate divisions for public and private schools in Texas, don't they?

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 01:36:02 pm »
Prime Prep: Played Yates High School (Houston), Bryant High School (Texas), and Eisenhower High School (OKC)

Grace Prep: (TAPPS, Not Part of UIL): Played 10 Texas Public Schools + LR Hall two years ago.

Sunrise Christian (Kansas): They played Bentonville two years ago + multiple public schools in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri.

It's just ridiculous that other state associations leave it up to the schools to decide if they want to wear "big boy" pants and play against the best schools in the U.S., vs. some private organization in Little Rock making the decision for them. I think all of the states around us have proven the sky won't fall if you let our school Bentonville go out and play top level schools. If we don't want to play a certain school because they don't follow the same rules, then let us make that decision like other schools in Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas.

Who knows, we might get our players on ESPN because we develop the best players instead of having them be recruited away to play at a prep school. I can promise we won't have any more players to the level of Malik stay at the public school if they aren't allowed to go and play top teams. There are too many summer teams that are telling them they need to go and play against better competition during the school year. Maybe that's the reason our head coach went on a trip to Africa this summer to find international players.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:07 pm »
Uh, the AAA is the member schools, shows your ignorance on the subject. Looks like Grace played Tremble in an exhibition game, find me another UIL school.

http://www.graceprep.org/Athletics/HighSchoolSports/BoysBasketball.aspx

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 04:17:27 pm »
So, you're saying Malik is more likely to stay at Bentonville if they played Southwest Christian? I'd worry about winning a state title first, you know?

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 07:12:57 am »
Give it three years for a team like SW Christian to build a pipeline with the Wings. State titles are not as important in basketball to these high level D1 kids.

There is no loyalty in this game because of AAU. There are so many examples of high level ball players leaving state champion and runner up teams to get more exposure. These players want to just play the best teams.

Ask one of the kids if they would rather win the AAA 3A state championship or play for a team playing on ESPN in the tournament at the end of the year. It's not even close.

High school basketball has changed. It's just a matter of time before Arkansas sees it like other states are already experiencing. Just look at the Top 25 ranking. Every year there are more prep teams on the list, and the other states recognize it and let their UIL, OSSAA, etc. public school team play them.

It's just the big schools that would even dare to play these teams, not the rural schools that we feel sorry for and try to protect. It's the small schools that live by fear, not the LR Hall, Bentonville, etc. type schools.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:14 am »
Why would Bentonville want to play anyone good in two years? They'll go back to using the gym for other things besides basketball, so I don't see the need. As far as SW Christian and other prep schools, they play by the rules they wish, and the other schools in the state play by another set. Why would the AAA and it's member schools change rules that effect just a few kids at most per year?

Give me examples of kids leaving to go play at prep schools, I've yet to read of any, or any eligible.

Offline think

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 10:52:09 am »
Why would Bentonville want to play anyone good in two years? They'll go back to using the gym for other things besides basketball, so I don't see the need. As far as SW Christian and other prep schools, they play by the rules they wish, and the other schools in the state play by another set. Why would the AAA and it's member schools change rules that effect just a few kids at most per year?

Give me examples of kids leaving to go play at prep schools, I've yet to read of any, or any eligible.

Williams kid from Maumelle left to play for a prep school in Texas. Rumored to be moving back this year.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:59 am »

Williams kid from Maumelle left to play for a prep school in Texas. Rumored to be moving back this year.

Prime Prep closed, Dion didn't pay the bills.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:42 am »

Prime Prep closed, Dion didn't pay the bills.

Is the Williams kids a junior or senior

Offline Basketballfan13

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 12:15:57 pm »
Prime Prep: Played Yates High School (Houston), Bryant High School (Texas), and Eisenhower High School (OKC)

Grace Prep: (TAPPS, Not Part of UIL): Played 10 Texas Public Schools + LR Hall two years ago.

Sunrise Christian (Kansas): They played Bentonville two years ago + multiple public schools in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri.

It's just ridiculous that other state associations leave it up to the schools to decide if they want to wear "big boy" pants and play against the best schools in the U.S., vs. some private organization in Little Rock making the decision for them. I think all of the states around us have proven the sky won't fall if you let our school Bentonville go out and play top level schools. If we don't want to play a certain school because they don't follow the same rules, then let us make that decision like other schools in Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas.

Who knows, we might get our players on ESPN because we develop the best players instead of having them be recruited away to play at a prep school. I can promise we won't have any more players to the level of Malik stay at the public school if they aren't allowed to go and play top teams. There are too many summer teams that are telling them they need to go and play against better competition during the school year. Maybe that's the reason our head coach went on a trip to Africa this summer to find international players.
I hate people who cry about rules instead of just adjusting to them and playing the game. It's people who stomp their feet around trying to change rules that they don't like that set a bad example for our students. Teaching them they should throw a fit and complain every time something doesn't work how they think it should work...doesn't get people very far. It's pretty simple....don't like it...MOVE! Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, or even Africa would love to have you and your kids.

Offline cdelaney

• Starter
  • 2014-15 3A Pick 'em Champion
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »
Give it three years for a team like SW Christian to build a pipeline with the Wings. State titles are not as important in basketball to these high level D1 kids.

There is no loyalty in this game because of AAU. There are so many examples of high level ball players leaving state champion and runner up teams to get more exposure. These players want to just play the best teams.

Ask one of the kids if they would rather win the AAA 3A state championship or play for a team playing on ESPN in the tournament at the end of the year. It's not even close.

High school basketball has changed. It's just a matter of time before Arkansas sees it like other states are already experiencing. Just look at the Top 25 ranking. Every year there are more prep teams on the list, and the other states recognize it and let their UIL, OSSAA, etc. public school team play them.

It's just the big schools that would even dare to play these teams, not the rural schools that we feel sorry for and try to protect. It's the small schools that live by fear, not the LR Hall, Bentonville, etc. type schools.
You may be correct but I hope you are wrong. AAU has its place and has resulted in significant improvement in the talent level of HS basketball in AR and everywhere. But I hate it for the kids that their perspective has changed so much that they would rather play in the garbage "HS" tournaments that ESPN carries, and almost no one watches, than play for their own hometown and school. In the long run, most will regret that decision, I bet. The truly "top D1" kids are going to get noticed by the college coaches and recruiting services initially through their AAU leagues in the summers. They don't have to sacrifice any semblance to a normal HS life to get recruited. It is a shame, and shame on Ron Crawford for doing this at SW Christian. I hope it fails.

Offline A-Good-One

• Formerly "Dr Chim Ritchalds"
  • Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 08:13:39 pm »
Van Buren and Charleston? Was this poll created by someone in the River Valley, cause there ain't no way.

Offline bystander

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:18 pm »

I hate people who cry about rules instead of just adjusting to them and playing the game. It's people who stomp their feet around trying to change rules that they don't like that set a bad example for our students. Teaching them they should throw a fit and complain every time something doesn't work how they think it should work...doesn't get people very far. It's pretty simple....don't like it...MOVE! Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, or even Africa would love to have you and your kids.

I do agree with part of your comment. The AAA should stop changing rules for every public school that doesn't like certain rules.

Let me give you an example. Students in high school that leave Bentonville and transfer to Shiloh to play basketball have to sit out a year. On the other hand, half of Northwest Arkansas' best players randomly move to Har-Ber from other schools in the region (I'm certain there were no recruiting tactics by families or friends of Har-Ber), including our starting post player at Bentonville, and this is acceptable to the AAA. I guess we should instead come on the site complaining the AAA is turning a blind eye to local schools are stealing our players.

I would rather come on the site and ask for the freedom to play top teams in the country to help us to keep our top players, rather than gripe how the AAA have rules that make no sense.

On a side note, it was all of the small public schools griping and whining that resulted in the transfer rule. I should go back and look, but I doubt you were complaining when they were asking the AAA to implement the 365 transfer rule.

Offline Basketballfan13

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:50 pm »
I don't complain about transfers because it happens in every school and we have made it legal because we do what we can to make everyone happy. If I had my choice it would be simple. You're home town is what you take pride in. There is a big difference between players now and in the past. We never had a single player leave for another school for athletic reasons and if they did we probably would have cut all ties with them. Nowadays they bounce from school to school and no one really cares. I think the loss of school pride and tradition is what has hurt high school ball the most. Either way it's still basketball and I still love it.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 06:38:30 am »
As long as they make a bona fide move, you think they should still be punished? Shiloh doesn't have any district lines, so it's kind of hard to determine a bona fide move there. Also, are you forgetting that you benefited from the biggest move in?

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 09:02:36 am »
As long as they make a bona fide move, you think they should still be punished? Shiloh doesn't have any district lines, so it's kind of hard to determine a bona fide move there. Also, are you forgetting that you benefited from the biggest move in?
who are u talking about

Offline Moonshiner

• Starter
  • Formerly luvthegame
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 09:10:57 am »

On a side note, it was all of the small public schools griping and whining that resulted in the transfer rule. I should go back and look, but I doubt you were complaining when they were asking the AAA to implement the 365 transfer rule.
[/quote]

You've made several snarky references about small schools in your posts.  Not sure if everyone in Bentonville shares your elitist views. 
Arkansas is a small state with an abundance of small towns and small schools.  However, If you feel like the small schools are keeping someone from playing these Prep schools you are wrong.  Most people, regardless of the size of the school, want to play on a level field.  Same rules for everyone. Prep schools have no boundaries or no rules when it comes to recruiting.  I have no problem with Prep schools. Personally I have no problem if someone wants to play a prep school.
I'm just a small school guy and people like you, who think you are looking down on the rest of us just really come off looking bad.
Bentonville benefited from a "move in" of enormous proportions.  Where did he come from?  A very small school.
And to think that the small schools dominate the AAA is absurd. Everyone knows the 6A and 7A stir the drink down there. They created a 7th class for you guys. Every team makes the state tournament every year. It's a cakewalk. And a joke.
So come on down out of your balcony.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 09:22:05 am »
who are u talking about

Any player in the state of Arkansas transferring from one public school to another. If the family moves, it's kind of hard to say you can't play sports.

Online Oldref

• 2nd String
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:14 am »
Been reading these posts for several days. Bystander..... I also take exception to they way you tried to call out small schools for domination the AAA practices. Don't think that is true myself.  True enough Bentonville is riding high right now and I guess you are afraid your star move in may now head to the new prep school situation created in Little Rock by Wings coach Ron Crawford.  I can't imagine him not going if he thinks that is best for him. I could care less if they start a prep school and if kids want to try that approach fine with me. I do not want or expect the rest of the AAA members to try and accommodate them in any way. They have chosen to go on a totally different path and that is their choice. I think Bentonville will find plenty of competition within the state borders.......especially after Monk leaves. I also don't really care how other states handle this issue I think Arkansas should not recognize or play these glorified AAU teams under the disguise of a prep school. High School Basketball in Arkansas is alive and well just like it is.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 12:35:15 pm »
who are u talking about

Any player in the state of Arkansas transferring from one public school to another. If the family moves, it's kind of hard to say you can't play sports.
see whats bad is that if a family does move and switch schools and they play sports everyone assumes that it is just for sports but i understand why because of so many people abuse the rules...

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »
who are u talking about

see whats bad is that if a family does move and switch schools and they play sports everyone assumes that it is just for sports but i understand why because of so many people abuse the rules...

Sometimes it is for sports, and I don't have a big problem with that, it's their family's decision, shouldn't bother anyone else.

Offline BigMan15

• All Star
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 01:07:54 pm »
who are u talking about
i don't think that it should be for sports because teams just try to get all their aau team together and it would be like if smith from van buren and malik from bville moved together to like north little rock.

Sometimes it is for sports, and I don't have a big problem with that, it's their family's decision, shouldn't bother anyone else.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas