• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1A Taylor - Will they repeat as State Champs?

Started by Smalltownfamous, March 12, 2018, 07:14:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Smalltownfamous

1a Taylor defeated 2a Parkers Chapel 10-0 in 5 innings tonight. Who's there competition this year?

gamechanger11

Smalltownfamous

In your opinion, who will take the 1a championship?

gamechanger11

I will say I feel that it's a Taylor/concord battle with concord getting it done. I know that Woodlawn is in the hunt but 1a is way down compared to last few years
All those two have to do is make sure bus doesn't break down.

waterboy

no doubt. honestly they could have a good run in 2a state tournament

Robert_Dorfenshootze

Well I've thought this about Concord the last 3 years. I think their best pitcher graduated along with a couple other key players. They are still pretty good from what I've heard. Maybe something has changed this year that will help them get over the hump.

SackAttack

Quote from: Robert_Dorfenshootze on March 14, 2018, 08:50:03 pm
Well I've thought this about Concord the last 3 years. I think their best pitcher graduated along with a couple other key players. They are still pretty good from what I've heard. Maybe something has changed this year that will help them get over the hump.
Ive heard the same thing

gamechanger11

I know they have looked good so far. They did graduate a couple they were good but attitudes were good too. The pitcher they have this year is good also she pitched quite a bit last year. They also have a couple young girls that have played most of life and are very solid players. I also saw a girl that I didn't recall that someone said moved in from somewhere that helps. I am not saying they will win it but class is down overall as compared to last several years. Taylor may be the team to beat but this bunch will be there also. They have given up like 2 runs this season so far.

CrazySacDad

Taylor plays a much tougher schedule than Concord and comes from a tougher Region. Woodlawn is capable and will be around when May comes. Taylor and somebody but would not pencil in Concord yet.

FlexIng

Quote from: CrazySacDad on March 15, 2018, 09:44:52 pm
Taylor plays a much tougher schedule than Concord and comes from a tougher Region. Woodlawn is capable and will be around when May comes. Taylor and somebody but would not pencil in Concord yet.
Looks like Concord plays a common opponent today in Genoa Central at D-MAC tournament . It may not tell much about Concord but then again it may.

CrazySacDad

I will agree with that. this tourney will tell you a lot about a bunch of teams.

Smalltownfamous

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: FlexIng on March 16, 2018, 08:57:00 am
Looks like Concord plays a common opponent today in Genoa Central at D-MAC tournament . It may not tell much about Concord but then again it may.
Concord won 4-2.

FlexIng

Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on March 16, 2018, 06:22:48 pm
Concord won 4-2.
Learned that Concord is a solid squad! They will be in the running for state title is my opinion!

CrazySacDad

Just curious. If 2 super teams meet in State on same side of bracket who might the poor victim be for the winner of such game? Or would they just cancel the final and give the winner of that game the BIG Trophy? Just wondering

gamechanger11

If Taylor and Con both win their reg which they both should they are opposite in state bracket.

Smalltownfamous

The new strength of schedule rankings are out on MaxPreps. Taylor had the toughest SOS of top ranked teams.

Smalltownfamous

Taylor just defeated 5A Magnolia 13-2 in 5 innings.

Mulerider4Life

Is this keeping the Taylor school district alive?

gamechanger11

They will be wishing they were closed when that team from cleburne county gets done with them in the finals of the state tourn. Watched them destroy Pangburn today. I believe the new players they got a much better hitters than what graduated.

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: gamechanger11 on March 26, 2018, 09:11:12 pm
They will be wishing they were closed when that team from cleburne county gets done with them in the finals of the state tourn. Watched them destroy Pangburn today. I believe the new players they got a much better hitters than what graduated.
I was there as well, and they flat crushed the ball over the two games they played today. Freshmen Abi West hit five moon shots (four in the second game alone) and classmate Nikki Duke hit one, as did sophomore Chloe Sharp and senior Kaleah Davis, making it eight total dingers in ten innings.

Robert_Dorfenshootze

I noticed this today. I was there watching our baseball team play and couldn't help but notice those fences are close enough to home plate that I think I could spit over them.
Those fences on the softball field at pangburn look like what my daughter played on when she was in 10U ball. Sheesh.

Smalltownfamous

Apples/Oranges...Taylor is kept "alive" by having good financial support. They are a consolidated school in administration only. The schools, Taylor, Bradley, Emerson, are all independent campuses. As far as attendance at sporting events, baseball and softball are the draws.

Smalltownfamous

March 27, 2018, 04:59:36 pm #23 Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:22:27 pm by Smalltownfamous
@gamechanger
They'll be "wishing"? I think perhaps they should schedule a game before season ends for a "warmup". I'm not quite certain that youre considering Taylor and Concord's strength of schedules. Taylor only plays 1a per minimum AAA requirements. All other games are 2A to 5A. Mostly 3A. That's why they have the most difficult schedule in the state for 1A. That's also the reason they continue being a contender. Either you're a diehard "Concord" fan or you definitely don't understand the complexity of Taylor's schedule due to being stuck in a rural area basically by themselves. There's a reason they are feared. All they have is baseball/softball/FFA. They are very weak at basketball. Most of the athletes participate in basketball to stay in playing shape for baseball/softball season. It doesn't keep Taylor alive...it brings them back to life each season!

Smalltownfamous

BasketballNeverStops

March 27, 2018, 06:33:26 pm #25 Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:36:33 pm by BasketballNeverStops
Quote from: Smalltownfamous on March 27, 2018, 04:59:36 pm
@basketballNeverStops
They'll be "wishing"? I think perhaps they should schedule a game before season ends for a "warmup". I'm not quite certain that youre considering Taylor and Concord's strength of schedules. Taylor only plays 1a per minimum AAA requirements. All other games are 2A to 5A. Mostly 3A. That's why they have the most difficult schedule in the state for 1A. That's also the reason they continue being a contender. Either you're a diehard "Concord" fan or you definitely don't understand the complexity of Taylor's schedule due to being stuck in a rural area basically by themselves. There's a reason they are feared. All they have is baseball/softball/FFA. They are very weak at basketball. Most of the athletes participate in basketball to stay in playing shape for baseball/softball season. It doesn't keep Taylor alive...it brings them back to life each season!
I didn't make the comment about them wishing they were closed. I was simply agreeing with gamechanger that Concord hit the ball well yesterday. Trust me, I know that Taylor puts a lot into their softball and baseball programs and they have the track record to prove it. I've been to their gym and seen all the hardware. I apologize if you thought I was putting them down. They do play a tough schedule and that usually turns out good for teams that do. Concord has played some good teams however as well and will play in the Heber Springs Tournament next weekend against teams 4-6A including Pottsville, Jacksonville, and Searcy. And as you mention basketball, this group of Concord girls have done well in that department as well, winning games in state the past two seasons. I believe those good years in basketball have converted over well into keeping them motivated in softball.

gamechanger11

Lol. Was not meaning any harm or disrespect. Both are good teams and I believe they will play in the finals. As I have said before they line up opposite in state tourn given they win the reg of course. And again as has been mention these are the only two teams this year. Armorel, calico, Nemo, Scranton, viola all are not very good or at least at this level this year. Woodlawn and south side is competitive but still not to the level of concord and Taylor.

Smalltownfamous

I apologize. I took the "wishing they were closed..." wrong. Thank you. And I totally agree. Seen no teams that will give Concord or Taylor much opposition through state...only themselves.

Smalltownfamous

It looks like from what I'm hearing is that Concord and Taylor will be in opposite brackets. Can anyone confirm this? This isn't a prediction about the state final. Just a question. I don't ever count out a team after I witnessed the Scranton semi-final last year. Never thought Scranton would be Taylor's opponent. 

littlec2964

If both win their regional they will be on opposite sides of the bracket in state.

Mulerider4Life

Smalltownfamous

Agreed. Defeating Bald Knob was an eye-opener. Still looking like 2-horse race...Concord v Taylor

CrazySacDad

Like to say Taylor put on a nice tournament. Woodlawn came to your house today and you earned a very hard fought win. Congrats. Still Woodlawn Pitcher was injured and came back to throw 3 very good shut out innings. be interesting match up for Woodlawn against Concord I believe, lots of softball Tradition there too. Believe they were las.t 1A school to beat Taylor as a heavy underdog too. Good luck l.ike another shot at you guys in finals

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: CrazySacDad on May 05, 2018, 09:59:59 pm
Like to say Taylor put on a nice tournament. Woodlawn came to your house today and you earned a very hard fought win. Congrats. Still Woodlawn Pitcher was injured and came back to throw 3 very good shut out innings. be interesting match up for Woodlawn against Concord I believe, lots of softball Tradition there too. Believe they were las.t 1A school to beat Taylor as a heavy underdog too. Good luck l.ike another shot at you guys in finals

Woodlawn vs Concord??

Have you looked at bracket? 

CrazySacDad

Blueblood I was talking about in Bracket play. I am very aware of the Big 2 being on different sides of Bracket. Did you win your Regional I see you keep having it at your place hoping too. See you in Mountain Home --Hopefully on the field.

Smalltownfamous

The score of 1-0 was no indication of a Taylor weakness. Respect to the pitcher and the coaches for remembering the pitches Taylor struggled with last year when they lost. Taylor's weakness last year and this year was the same...batting and over-confidence.
They face weak pitching for 2 games leading up to final in which they blast both opponents. Then, just like last year, with Woodlawn, they drop their back shoulder and try to launch it over the fence. Also, after an inning or two, you could hear the crowd saying or hollering "Just like last year....". That wasn't a good place to be mentally. 

Taylor won, but their weakness was themselves. And like last year, in which no team scored a single run against them in the state tourney including, of course, the final against Scranton, I don't see them giving up any again.

Although Woodlawn was the "last 1a team to beat Taylor", that is in no way an indication or indicator of a future result. Woodlawn BARELY made it by their first opponent, Emerson. Emerson is a team that is part of Taylor's consolidated school system. Taylor typically has to start their JV kids to keep the score reasonably under 20-0. They survived Bradley by a walkoff homerun. Bradley hasn't beat Taylor in years.
Again, Taylor's only weakness is their potential over-confidence. I don't think Woodlawn will make it past their 1st game in state. Definitely not the second.

BTW, the pitcher being injured did not keep Woodlawn from scoring. I'm thinking that they may have won if they would've gotten more than 2 or 3 girls on base within the allotted 7 innings.

CrazySacDad

You musta been the Taylor fan trying to help umps call game during Woodlawns 1st 2 games. classless act made it seem like you did not want to play us. as far as 1st round games go we will come to play. yup a walk off HR won a game. Rules say who has most runs after 7 wins. Woodlawn played all 21 outs. Taylor is very good and should be able to reach finals.  Probably win it they came out of tougher Region regardless of what your Smallmindtown thinks. Oh by the way Taylor played their game so did Woodlawn regardless of what you think 2 very good teams squared off and yes the best team on that day won. Personally I hope 2 of our Regions teams play in State finals regardless of what 2.

Smalltownfamous

Sorry but you have the wrong fella. Didnt watch any of Woodlawn's games. Now you've called me "smalltownmind", "classless", etc... You may want to reread your posts directed towards me. I simply defended the position of Taylor. You must've been the fan that started saying that Taylor only won because the pitcher got hurt...before y'all left the ballfield. Seriously? And if you weren't the one, well, you said it here. The most facinating element to your "pitcher hurt" defense is that we scored our run BEFORE she got hurt. So, many in Taylor are wondering why that was that statement was made or how it was even logical!?! 

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: CrazySacDad on May 06, 2018, 08:31:36 am
Blueblood I was talking about in Bracket play. I am very aware of the Big 2 being on different sides of Bracket. Did you win your Regional I see you keep having it at your place hoping too. See you in Mountain Home --Hopefully on the field.

We did host regionals and we hoped to win....I thought that was the point. Lost in finals to a good team.....just like you did. I just felt you were over your skis a bit talking about Concord. Lotta ball to play before you have to worry about them. Just my opinion.

CrazySacDad

You need to reread your post. In my 1st post I complimented Taylor on doing a Great job, I believe I said the best team won. Yes maybe I had a little LB Pride in saying we were the last 1A school to beat yall but that is not a lie. I even said Taylor should play for it again they are solid. Then you need to read your post going on a rampage about how we barely won our 1st 2 games how bad we are how  bad we going get beat in 1st round. Now Woodlawn Pitcher was hurt on the scoring play I simply said she was gutsy and came back and with some good defense and great pitching gave us a chance. Are you sure you were at the Game? you said we only had 3 base runners. Actually we had runners in scoring position 4 innings but your Pitcher shut us down with some great pitches. If you were not the guy on the fence my bad he was only black eye on a Great Tournament and a Great Final game. Good Luck and safe travel.

Smalltownfamous

Thank you for the well wishes. I heard the guy you were referring to. He was a dad from Ouachita. He was almost got thrown out at one point.

Mulerider4Life

Smalltownfamous

I tend to agree. I think Taylor is coming in as the underdog on this one.

gamechanger11

Agreed. Concord looks to be playing better.

littlec2964

Taylor comes in having scored 28 runs and Concord having scored 29 runs. Neither team has given up a run so far. Something has to give. Should be a great game.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: littlec2964 on May 14, 2018, 08:14:36 pm
Taylor comes in having scored 28 runs and Concord having scored 29 runs. Neither team has given up a run so far. Something has to give. Should be a great game.

Game will be something like 1-0 or 10-11.

Bigpoppa

I am picking Concord to win. Both teams have good pitching, both have good defense. But in a close match up, I pick the team with the better short game. Concord is playing the game right, moving runners and putting pressure on the other team. I think that will be the difference. But Taylor is good with a swagger, so I expect a good game.

WHITEchicken

Might come down to who can ge that runner from second across the plate.

Smalltownfamous

Taylor did it! 2-1 over Concord in a GREAT game!  So, yes, Taylor did repeat!

WHITEchicken

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas