• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elkins Open?

Started by basketballjones, April 12, 2016, 10:52:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

basketballjones

April 12, 2016, 10:52:30 am Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:33:51 pm by basketballjones
Will this draw any good applicants?

AmSycho

Possibly. I'll sit back and watch. I know a few years ago they weren't bad. Don't know about now though.

whippersnapper

Elkins hasn't won a playoff game since the 06 season when they went 7-5. Was a 14-7 ball game away from practicing on thanksgiving. They were a lot better then their record showed. If I remember correctly they had 2-3 linemen over 6'0 250 lbs and speedy little Hispanic TB.  Ever since then just really middle of the pack.

AlumniLights

Quote from: whippersnapper on April 12, 2016, 01:13:06 pm
Elkins hasn't won a playoff game since the 06 season when they went 7-5. Was a 14-7 ball game away from practicing on thanksgiving. They were a lot better then their record showed. If I remember correctly they had 2-3 linemen over 6'0 250 lbs and speedy little Hispanic TB.  Ever since then just really middle of the pack.

Antonio Valdez was the kids name if I'm not mistaken. Heck of a ballplayer.

fbhound

Quote from: basketballjones on April 12, 2016, 10:52:30 am
Will this draw any good applicants?
Based on your FF name, are you referring to basketball or really the football coach? Thanks.

basketballjones

Seeing as I posted on a football board I think the answer is pretty obvious

we_hate_the_band

I heard it was Ryan Whetham's job to lose.

beach bum

Quote from: basketballjones on April 12, 2016, 10:39:42 pm
Seeing as I posted on a football board I think the answer is pretty obvious

+1

beach bum

I would not want this job as Elkins will become a 4A school in the relative near future. Good luck winning consistently in 4A there is my opinion. If you could confidently say they were staying 3A for a long time it would be attractive cause they play in such an easy 3A conference.

beach bum

But yes being 10 miles from Fayetteville will draw some solid applicants for what this job is.....good luck to Coach Shaw moving forward as well.

fbhound

April 17, 2016, 08:11:52 pm #10 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:26:21 pm by fbhound
 A head coach would have to be AD also in order to make the salary competitive with other top notch 3A schools or a 4A school. Northwest AR is a definite incentive to take less money I guess, just a matter of how much.

Okieback

Anybody on staff getting promoted to head Fred?

coachsearch

Any word on the Elkins job

Jimbo Morphis

Pat Swilling

guess they are not worried about getting their guy before spring ball

HSFBF

Quote from: Pat Swilling on May 04, 2016, 08:40:17 am
guess they are not worried about getting their guy before spring ball
They should be.. for continuity etc..

nuttinbuthogs

Why would a school put off hiring a guy in time for spring football?

fbhound

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 04, 2016, 07:54:54 pm
Why would a school put off hiring a guy in time for spring football?
You got me! And each day that goes by means a LESS chance that a coach somewhere else will apply for the job. Applicants have a "schedule" also as to when it is TOO LATE to apply and possibly upset his present administration. A coach has so find a place to live, get to know his players and get on the 'same page', and waiting til July or August is asking too much of an incoming coach. Hope Elkins has good reasons for not announcing their new HC... JMHO

arkansasprepfootball

Spring football is vastly overrated at the 3A and 2A level.

Elkins is working through the process.  Sounds like they are more concerned with being right than being fast.  Good decision on their part.

Coaches, just like classroom teachers, have thirty days to sign a contract - which usually are distributed early May - and ten days following the completion of the academic year to get out of that contract.  Timing is not a concern for someone looking to accept a head football position.

beach bum

May 07, 2016, 05:46:22 pm #19 Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:48:55 pm by beach bum
Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on May 07, 2016, 04:08:24 pm
Spring football is vastly overrated at the 3A and 2A level.

Elkins is working through the process.  Sounds like they are more concerned with being right than being fast.  Good decision on their part.

Coaches, just like classroom teachers, have thirty days to sign a contract - which usually are distributed early May - and ten days following the completion of the academic year to get out of that contract.  Timing is not a concern for someone looking to accept a head football position.

Uhhhh, Okie dokie.... yea, gaining 2 weeks of real practice is soooo overrated!

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: beach bum on May 07, 2016, 05:46:22 pm
Uhhhh, Okie dokie.... yea, gaining 2 weeks of real practice is soooo overrated!

Again, 3A and 2A level.  Only a few are getting to have "real" practice.  Others are doing the same stuff they've been able to do all spring long due to low numbers, spring sports, school events (banquets/prom/graduation/etc.) and will be able to do with the exception of two weeks in the summer.  At the higher classifications, its absolutely important...at the small school level, I don't think its as profitable as some want to claim.

Okieback

Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on May 07, 2016, 05:57:47 pm
Again, 3A and 2A level.  Only a few are getting to have "real" practice.  Others are doing the same stuff they've been able to do all spring long due to low numbers, spring sports, school events (banquets/prom/graduation/etc.) and will be able to do with the exception of two weeks in the summer.  At the higher classifications, its absolutely important...at the small school level, I don't think its as profitable as some want to claim.

It is overrated in the since that you guys in Arkansas can basically do what ever you want in the summer.  Free play monkey bars

nuttinbuthogs

I can't believe that coaches cannot care about getting hired late!  So they have to know that the current school will let them out of a contract, they have to move their families, find a place to live, ( not as hard but still, I know wives who wouldn't like it).

Brian G

Chad Harbison has the job.

BLUEBLOOD

"Sounds like they are more concerned with being right than being fast.  Good decision on their part."

Very well put.  Small schools have to make good decisions, not hasty ones.  As has been stated your athletes at small schools most likely play a spring sport so spring practice is not as crucial as schools where athletes specialize.  Your offseason program for non-spring sport guys is far more important.  "voluntary" summer workouts & 7-on-7 is where you get ahead in 2A & 3A ball.

Just an opinion from a small school guy whose school happens to be in a coaching search at the present time.

nuttinbuthogs

Did Elkins ever fill this position?

beach bum

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas