• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFSEASON: What offense would you run?

Started by AlumniLights, December 15, 2015, 07:13:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your style?

Run Heavy
14 (31.1%)
Pass Happy
7 (15.6%)
Balanced Run
24 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

AlumniLights

In today's day and age, more and more teams are going to the air with high play count, fast pace up and down the field mentality; much like two of the teams in the semi-finals, including the 3A Champ. However, there a still few teams that like to grind it out and make you stop their run game. It's your choice....what would you run if you were the head honcho?

Black and Gold

Grind it out. Control the game with the double wing, wing t, wing slot and formations like that. Lots of veer and midline. Once an offense like that gets momentum they are hard to stop.

Longfellow

Instead of the shotgun formation, I would use a singleback I formation. You can spread it out just the same, but it gives your running back a downhill start and can also widen your splits a bit more

The Chief CL

I think it all depends on your athletes.  I myself like run, run, run PA over the top.  I like a pro style, I like a FB and a TE.  I couldn't commit to a all out pass or all out run.  I would have hopes to be a 60/40 run/pass team.

AlumniLights

Keep em coming. I agree with you Black and Gold. An offense like that can definitely grind it out. Now, I will say I'm not into the "quickie" dives of the world. I like variety with motion, counters and much more option like you said BandG. Navy's offense is very interesting. I like what you got there too Longfellow. Sometimes, though, I like a big fullback to help pave the way for the tailback. But I like the idea of widening the splits. I'll add a poll.

The Chief CL

That's just from my coaching career on NCAA and Madden 😂

AlumniLights

Quote from: The Chief CL on December 15, 2015, 07:57:04 am
I think it all depends on your athletes.  I myself like run, run, run PA over the top.  I like a pro style, I like a FB and a TE.  I couldn't commit to a all out pass or all out run.  I would have hopes to be a 60/40 run/pass team.

I agree with that. However, your athletes(given that they are athletic) can make a run game/balanced run game even more deadly.

Longfellow

I was just thinking about what I run on NCAA 14, it's something similar to what the New England Patriots run. Singleback, with tight ends coming in motion as blockers, and a lot of play action. A nice mix of short and intermediate routes, with a lot of dives and counters mixed in

AlumniLights

+1

Chief, I think you need to brush up on your NCAA and Madden skills. Just saying.  8)

adaptedtigerfan

I'm with you Longfellow I like that style too.   I like to spread it out but stay under center with a single back or I formation.   I'm also a HUGE fan of underneath crossing routes.

adaptedtigerfan

AlumniLights

You know I really liked the Split back veer Bauxite ran with Watson. Poetry in motion.

Longfellow

I know what you mean adapted. You just can't stop those underneath routes

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Longfellow on December 15, 2015, 08:02:38 am
I was just thinking about what I run on NCAA 14, it's something similar to what the New England Patriots run. Singleback, with tight ends coming in motion as blockers, and a lot of play action. A nice mix of short and intermediate routes, with a lot of dives and counters mixed in
you will have to coach at a school where the kids are smart enough to remember all those motion plays. I would run whatever offense fit my talent. I prefer run heavy in high school normally.

Black and Gold

I love Navy's offense. The defense has to be able to think quick and be on their toes for that triple option.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Carljung

Tight ends at the high school level are not used near enough. Two tight can spread a defense thin. Harding ran it quite a bit. They used receivers so they weren't great at blocking but they did cause issues in alignment and the passing game. I'm with oldman on this, you have to tweek your offense to fit your personnel. Too many times I've seen slower big teams running spread when they have no business being in spread. They should be foot to foot and 3yds a whack.

HorseFeathers

Triple option out of the 5 wide spread....

OB11

Quote from: HF on December 15, 2015, 09:15:33 am

I can just picture Malzahn walking around muttering this to himself for hours on end. lol

Longfellow

Quote from: Oldman on December 15, 2015, 08:17:15 am
Quote from: Longfellow on December 15, 2015, 08:02:38 am
you will have to coach at a school where the kids are smart enough to remember all those motion plays. I would run whatever offense fit my talent. I prefer run heavy in high school normally.
You're definitely right about about that. It's all about personnel. With the athletes McGehee produces, my system might be pretty good there. Of course, nothing wrong with a good ole double wing set either

Black and Gold

AlumniLights

I think you may have something there...

HorseFeathers

P.F.G.

Hurry up no huddle wishbone. I built a good dynasty on ncaa 12 with this philosophy.

AlumniLights

Your ponies will get awfully tired with a smash-mouth hurry up no huddle! haha

AlumniLights

Option Run playbook on NCAA is the Catalina Wine Mixer of playbooks.

P.F.G.

Im going to have to disagree, donkey kong was the best game on sega genesis.

adaptedtigerfan

AL, option run on NCAA is only good..."if" u know how to run it. 😂😂

P.F.G.

Multiple was my favorite playbook. Wishbone to 5 wide. Mix in some I formations and the pistol and you can do anything.

Longfellow

The best offense on NCAA is the split slot formation out of shotgun. The triple option sets up the wheel route of the option fake and you score every time. The safety always bites on the play action

Headhunter15

Smack needs to let the power stuff go and pick up oregons offense. Read option would suit a team full of speed in the backfield well. But what do I know...

Lions84

Skip Baymore

I have to tell you that I Love the sound of it.   Would keep any defense wondering what the &%#$ was going on!

HorseFeathers

In all seriousness, I like the read option out of the pistol...gotta have a smart quarterback to run it effectively though..

Longfellow

Quote from: HF on December 16, 2015, 09:03:30 am
In all seriousness, I like the read option out of the pistol...gotta have a smart quarterback to run it effectively though..
I agree. It gives you a better look than the shotgun read does. You have the option of the dives, counters, and stretch runs. In 2012, when Kansas State was ranked #2, they ran quite a bit of it

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on December 15, 2015, 08:06:28 am
I'm with you Longfellow I like that style too.   I like to spread it out but stay under center with a single back or I formation.   I'm also a HUGE fan of underneath crossing routes.

Pick routes, eh?

ReddieKnightTrojan

I mixed in a little Pro-I with the spread. Best play out of the I was a inside FB trap using motion that was set up with motion to log the end on a HB sweep. When properly set up, the FB trap ALWAYS goes for a TD...unless (true story) he trips over the confused FS.

Best play out of the spread was an inside trap with the back with the center and guard fold blocking. IRL I had a converted guard (190, 4.9) as my back and with the threat of the pass all night long, he had 126 yards with that little play.

Black and Gold

I do like the read option out of the shotgun or pistol. Throw a bubble in there to make it a triple option.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Black and Gold on December 16, 2015, 07:26:33 pm
I do like the read option out of the shotgun or pistol. Throw a bubble in there to make it a triple option.

that and Sweeps with the slot guy...or you have the option of air raiding it if you need/slot guy

the green moose

Let's just go with the A-11 offense and call it a day.

Ball Hawk

Please stop calling it "read option".....lol

It's zone read. Period. Read option is some made up TV commentator term.

Black and Gold

Zone read option option sounds like a good compromise

WPWells

Ball Hawk is also a made-up tv commentator term

adaptedtigerfan

ReddieKnightTrojan

incogneto

December 17, 2015, 02:55:26 pm #45 Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:59:19 pm by incogneto
So what would you call it if you the backside of read counter or power?

Also I would run multiple formations so year in and year out I could adjust to what my kids were capable of doing. 

Ball Hawk

Stewie is the name of a 50 year old virgin......not made up by any TV commentators

WPWells

minerjack

Quote from: Longfellow on December 15, 2015, 07:40:18 am
Instead of the shotgun formation, I would use a singleback I formation. You can spread it out just the same, but it gives your running back a downhill start and can also widen your splits a bit more
Single back?  I formation. That's kind of contradictory isn't it?

minerjack

What??  Please tell me you're kidding.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas