• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4-3A in 2016 (offseason chatter)

Started by beach bum, November 28, 2015, 11:06:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

November 28, 2015, 11:06:18 pm Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:09:09 pm by beach bum
1)Lamar- Coach Jones has this program a consistent winner. Davenport will be hungry along with a good core of players. Expect another great year.

2)Charleston- what else do expect from them except to compete for a conference title and winning in November

3)Paris- had a great 2015 and I expect just about the same from them this coming year

4)Mansfield- Danville & Booneville exiting could be just the right recipe for the Red Tigers to get to the playoffs

5)Cedarville- the 5 seed from the 1-3A this year, can they transition that to a new league in 2016?

6)Atkins- fielded a solid team in the 2-3A this year and I expect them to be in the conversation for a playoff berth

7)Perryville- a 3-4 conference slate was not enough to make the playoffs as a 5 seed this year but I also see them in the hunt for the 5 seed next year

8)Two Rivers- after 4 games in 2015 we thought they were playoff bound but then a slide came. Can the Gators be in the hunt for a playoff berth? We will see

****NOTES
-Unless injuries occur Lamar and Charleston look to be in a level all alone together
-Paris could be a swing team and upset one of the top 2 if injuries happen to one of the top dogs or could also drop to a 4 or 5 if they don't pan out
-I see the 4 through 8 seeds in very competitive games on a weekly basis
-Some think this league will be weak but I don't. I see Lamar and Charleston being top 5 teams and Paris about the same again. I think you could see potentially four teams in the 2nd round again so I don't think that's a weak league at all
-Lamar and Charleston could flip places and I don't think much would be argued. Those two are going to make for another great game in 2016

Black and Gold

Nice assessment. Although I would have Atkins at the 4 spot.

beach bum

Quote from: Black and Gold on November 28, 2015, 11:13:55 pm
Nice assessment. Although I would have Atkins at the 4 spot.

I nearly put them all the way at 4. I think consensus everyone will have Lamar and Charleston at 1 and 2 in either order. I am fairly sure most will have Paris 3. And then I really can understand any of the last 5 being in a multitude of spots. If Atkins has a lot back they could end up being a really nice team.

Black and Gold

Hey mac, who is Lamar losing and who is coming up that can contribute?

Clara Allen

Quote from: Black and Gold on November 28, 2015, 11:35:35 pm
Hey mac, who is Lamar losing and who is coming up that can contribute?

Mac can answer this with stats and stuff, but I can help a little:  losing 10 seniors- all contributors. Linemen- Dybala, Pledger, Chenault, Ahrens, Lovell, and Lemon; backs and receivers Hency, Kern, Wilkins, Wyatt
I think our freshmen who will come in and contribute include Ross and Collier on the line and backs and receivers Mayes, West, Grace, and Dalton. 
We also have a few surprises that have patiently been waiting for eligibility.   We will be smaller for sure

macadoshis

You'll see our offense evolve yet again this year.  We won't have the line we had this season.  Two Jr's next year, Combs goes about 290 and LaRue around 250 will step up and fill in nicely.  Freshman Grace has potential to be a great player IF he is willing to put in the work in the off season and get a little meaner.  Hunter will have a whole year to do nothing but throw and lift and run.  Should have a big group of receivers  to choose from.  Im not the coach but i would bet we will look alot like Charleston last year with more run.  Spread it out,  and Davenport will roll out a lot and have a run pass option.  Continue with midline reads because we will have some solid backs returning.  I feel we will be better next year than we were this year.

macadoshis

I would put Lamar and Charleston as 1 and 1A.  Paris will be good.  And Atkins would be no lower than 4 on my list. They return a solid QB.  Hopefully some Red Devil posters will join the conversation and let us know what you lost this year.  Same with Cedarville.  Clarksville will be better next season and I'm hearing we may possibly play Mt Ida also, so non conference schedule gets a little better for Lamar. I think it will be a pretty solid conference overall. 
I look at what Charleston is returning and cant help but say they will be really good.  And our game will be back at Alumni Field next year so the Tigers should have the advantage.  I hope both teams are 6-0 going into that game.  I didnt get to see the junior high game, are there any freshman for the Tigers that can add to the already strong mix?

fbisgreat

Charleston jr. high started 7 8th graders on offense and 6 on defense.The only one's moving up that should help is Claudle a  end-linebacker and a running back linebacker and the kicker.The only 3 that i seen.

Black and Gold

Quote from: fbisgreat on November 29, 2015, 08:18:10 am
Charleston jr. high started 7 8th graders on offense and 6 on defense.The only one's moving up that should help is Claudle a  end-linebacker and a running back linebacker and the kicker.The only 3 that i seen.
Caudle and Kengla will make great additions to the Tigers. The kicker needs some more leg in his kicks, but will get better over the off-season.

Warriors023

Didn't Ross have a forced and recovered fumble against Prescott?

Clara Allen

Yes he did.  Got the photo to prove it

Lineman

Quote from: Black and Gold on November 29, 2015, 10:10:24 am
Quote from: fbisgreat on November 29, 2015, 08:18:10 am
Caudle and Kengla will make great additions to the Tigers. The kicker needs some more leg in his kicks, but will get better over the off-season.
It will be interesting to see who steps up & wants it the most, there won't be many spots to fill on either side of the ball.

Black and Gold

True Lineman. Spots and playing time aren't given out.

macadoshis

We will have some spots on the line that will be up for grabs.  Plenty of receivers to fill the openings. And Mueller could have a monster year at running back.

Clara Allen

And Masterson and Sanderson   A little more beef on them and wow!
Our line will be smaller but I think quicker so when is spring ball?????

macadoshis

Quote from: warriorsforever2 on November 29, 2015, 12:55:11 pm
Sanderson.... Negative ghost rider.  Way too many drops this year.  And gets burnt often on defense.  Masterson will be a stud on defense for sure.

Clara Allen

Quote from: macadoshis on November 29, 2015, 01:03:46 pm
Sanderson.... Negative ghost rider.  Way too many drops this year.  And gets burnt often on defense.  Masterson will be a stud on defense for sure.
Well, doesn't mean he can't improve.  I agree he will have to work.  The boy has speed
But that being said, there may be a rising sophomore that will be a better fit

Ned_Flanders

Don't be afraid to tell us what you really think.   ;D

macadoshis

I was told I am too nice on here and for me to tell it like it is.

macadoshis

Quote from: warriorsforever2 on November 29, 2015, 02:14:11 pm
Well, doesn't mean he can't improve.  I agree he will have to work.  The boy has speed
But that being said, there may be a rising sophomore that will be a better fit
One of the fasteat kids on the team.  But you need to hang on to it when it gets there.  And you can have great speed on defense but if you don't have good instincts it doesn't do ya much good.  Got a year to work o it.  But like you said, there's a few in line that want that spot.

Clara Allen

You are too nice on here, Mac...
I like the way young West runs. I think Doc needs to consider a case of Firm Grip before the season starts.  Do they even make that stuff anymore?   Back in dinosaur days, it was in the equipment bag during basketball.

YC

This post will be highly slanted toward Charleston because I know more about them and very little concerning the other teams in the conference.

As of now—my opinion could change after spring practice and fall drills—I see Paris, Lamar, Charleston, and Atkins in that order. I think anyone of the top three could win it with a break or two and I see Atkins as a dark horse that could slip into the top spot. I think we could take the other four, put them in a sack, shake it up, and see who falls out first for the fifth spot.

Losing their QB will most likely hurt Two Rivers badly. Just a few years ago it appeared Mansfield was on verge of being very competitive on yearly basics but it now seem they have lost that momentum and have a lot of work to do. Being new in the conference Cedarville, Perryville, and Atkins are for the most part unknowns. I understand Atkins is getting a good QB back and to me, that is huge. I am looking forward to athletic supporter posting in conference 4 again. Perhaps he or one of the other good Atkins posters will come on and give us some info on them. Perryville played some competitive games last year and when they were in this conference several years ago they had a couple good posters so perhaps they too will let us know what to expect from them. Cedarville is a real mystery. I don't know the details of the situation with coach Lea, but I've seen his body of work over the years and know he is an excellent coach. I hope the administration will have a forgiving spirit and coach Lea will be there next year. There is no doubt in my mind he will bring that program to respectability if given the chance.

Some (but not all) of my thoughts about the Tigers.

I'm hearing we many lose a couple key players for next year because the family is contemplating moving out of state. It's only something I've heard and if any Tiger fans know for sure if it's true or not I would appreciate them informing me with a personal message. fbisgreat was spot on with his assessment of help moving up. However both will need some offseason work on the sled or some bleacher running—Caudle for speed and Taggart for leg strength. I expect Taggart to be as good or perhaps better than his older brother as he matures. He gives us high hopes for a good field goal and PAT team for the next three years. Flanagan did an excellent job of punting last year and that part of the game appears to be in good shape. Overall the defensive line and linebacker speed must improve. Tackling must improve a lot. With all the injury problems we had this past year a lot of kids got playing time and that will pay dividends next year. A lot of starters coming back so that too is very encouraging however, there are several other critical areas of the team that need major improvement if they are to win the conference.

Charleston is suppose to get both Paris and Lamar on the turf and that does give an advantage to the Tigers. I hope the three new ones will pick up the schedules of the three leaving but some years ago when there were conference changes, complete new schedules were drawn up. Charleston ended up going to Cedarville two years in a row and Lavaca came to Charleston two years in a row.

The conference should be very competitive.

Red Devil Dad

Atkins will have a lot of their starters back next year. We are losing some good seniors but we have talent taking their place. Our QB got better every game this year and I'm looking forward to seeing him  next year. He has a strong arm. Next year's seniors has a successful 9th grade year.  They beat Lamar that year and lost a close game to Charleston.  Our boys are really looking forward to coming back to 4-3A next year. I look forward to the shorter drives. See ya'll next year.  RDP

YC

Thank you for your response Red Devil Dad. It will be great to have you folks back in the conference 4 where you belong. I am looking forward to arguing with you and A.S. next year. Atkins used to be one of our biggest games every year. I was very impressed with the stadium improvement you people were making the last year I visited Atkins ( 2012, a very unpleasant night for we Tiger fans). Most teams of this conference are a joke where visiting team seating is concerned but you people have addressed that problem and I look forward to visiting again.

Black and Gold

Will we travel to Atkins, IofthaTiger?

beach bum

I have heard conference schedules have been released but I have not seen them. I have heard they are released for every conference. When a link comes up that has the schedules anyone feel free to post them when you see them for our enjoyment and debating pleasure!

YC

Quote from: Black and Gold on November 29, 2015, 09:06:20 pm

I don't know. I haven't seen a schedule for next year.

Ned_Flanders

Quote from: Black and Gold on November 29, 2015, 09:06:20 pm
[/quote

Why do you want to know that?  Are you a fan of their concession stand?

Clara Allen

Don't knock their concession stand!   Best part about going there....

Ned_Flanders

Oh I wasn't knocking it.  I think Black and Gold knows what I'm referring to.

macadoshis

I like the nicknames the announcer gives the players.  And the radio crew there are some great guys. Fried twinkie is just bonus

Black and Gold

Longfellow

Atkins concession stand is the best. Next years team might not be bad either

Footballfanatic14

As far of what Atkins is losing it's quite a bit. I'm worried about the receiving core next year, and will look for someone to step up. We do have one stud that will be a Junior but we all know it's not hard to stop a one man show. Also were losing the best lineman we have in Austin Dobbs. He went both ways and i believe he was nominated for defensive 3A player of the year. In my opinion he was better on the O-Line at LT. Anyways a sophomore will have to take his place and I see that being a weak point. I'm just waiting to see how it plays out! I'm very excited about being back into this conference.

Lineman

There were a lot of close games when these seniors to be were freshman. Can't wait to see if this go round will be any different.

Clara Allen

I'm looking forward for Atkins coming back into the conference for football.  For senior high and the game is at Atkins, it's 10 minutes from the house and I can get home before the Sonic Post game show.

Sat in the gym last night for 4 basketball games- can't stand to sit that long.  Still not ready to take pictures yet and missing football.  I may have to suck it up and go to a football game this weekend.  Sadly, all the River Valley teams went out last week...

Black and Gold

^^ that's the problem, there's no close game

macadoshis

I'll just watch online.  I think HA streams

Black and Gold

Black and Gold

Can we go ahead and rewind to the beginning of this season? Please and thank you.

beach bum

So I saw the magazine we will not speak of by name in store today. Their predictions have a few surprises! It goes as followed.....

1)Charleston
2)Paris
3)Lamar
4)Atkins
5)Perryville
6)Mansfield
7)Cedarville
8)Two Rivers

**** The shocker is Paris ahead of Lamar & that will surely get a debate going between the Eagles and Warriors fans. Atkins and Perryville at 4 & 5 are very respectable spots for both teams. Besides that everything went about what I expected. Let the comments and opinions of the magazine begin!

jazdill

Paris being ranked ahead of Lamar is understandable...unless the fastest kid in the conference does not play. If that happens then Atkins and Lamar will move up a spot.

HorseFeathers

Keep hearing that Atkins should be good this year, but then again I hear that alot out of that town

Mark Few's pupil

Quote from: beach bum on June 20, 2016, 05:38:34 pm
So I saw the magazine we will not speak of by name in store today. Their predictions have a few surprises! It goes as followed.....

1)Charleston
2)Paris
3)Lamar
4)Atkins
5)Perryville
6)Mansfield
7)Cedarville
8)Two Rivers

**** The shocker is Paris ahead of Lamar & that will surely get a debate going between the Eagles and Warriors fans. Atkins and Perryville at 4 & 5 are very respectable spots for both teams. Besides that everything went about what I expected. Let the comments and opinions of the magazine begin!

For the 1000th time.  The magazine that shall not be named doesn't predict conferences: they print what the coaches voted.  It's the coaches poll.  That's why their overall will be different than the conference predictions.

WPWells

Quote from: Mark Few's pupil on June 23, 2016, 11:52:46 am
For the 1000th time.  The magazine that shall not be named doesn't predict conferences: they print what the coaches voted.  It's the coaches poll.  That's why their overall will be different than the conference predictions.

Not sure he ever said they didn't

ChucktownTiger

Charleston has to improve on defense. We'll have a lot of experience back on both sides of the ball however I think it will benefit the D the most. I've got one word for offense KETTER. He's a game changer. I can't wait to see how he's developed over the off season. If we'll let him carry the load, I can only imagine what will open up for the receivers and Rowland. I think the big thing this years team will have over last year is leadership. These seniors will
Hold each other accountable and the same from the rest of of the guys. This tiger team has all the potential in the world. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

I've got the Tigers and Lamar at the TOP.

1. Charleston
2. Lamar
3.Atkins
4. Paris

macadoshis

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on June 24, 2016, 08:38:02 am
Charleston has to improve on defense. We'll have a lot of experience back on both sides of the ball however I think it will benefit the D the most. I've got one word for offense KETTER. He's a game changer. I can't wait to see how he's developed over the off season. If we'll let him carry the load, I can only imagine what will open up for the receivers and Rowland. I think the big thing this years team will have over last year is leadership. These seniors will
Hold each other accountable and the same from the rest of of the guys. This tiger team has all the potential in the world. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

I've got the Tigers and Lamar at the TOP.

1. Charleston
2. Lamar
3.Atkins
4. Paris
I agree with your top four Lofta.  And I would definitely have to put the Tigers at the top.  They return alot of quality players.  Lamar loses most all of the offensive line from last year.  So I think we'll throw the ball alot more than we did a year ago.  I was at every spring practice and was pleasantly surprised with the receivers we had.  Zedrick Lee from the basketball team will be playing the slot. Great hands, shifty, and a definite threat if he gets the ball in space. I saw four or five different receivers that I'd feel comfortable throwing to every time.  Great hands and good crisp routes. Atkins is also my #3.  I've seen them a few times in 7on7 this summer and they look really good.  Good receivers and Haney can definitely sling it.  I'm not sure how good their defense will be though.  I think we have a pretty solid conference and I'm looking very forward to getting this season underway. 

BAMA#16

I'm going Tigers/Warriors 1a and 1b, I would almost put the Red Devils at 3, then Paris, rounding out the top four. I just hope the injury bug stays away from the conference this year.

AlumniLights

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 22, 2016, 02:07:23 pm
Keep hearing that Atkins should be good this year, but then again I hear that alot out of that town

This is true. Here's the deal, the whole, "back when we played them in Jr. High" thing has no implications to how teams will pan out when they meet again after a hiatus in Sr. High. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas