• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011-2012 Arkansas Basketball

Started by Romeo, May 19, 2011, 04:22:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pantherblue

I think sports as a whole is out of control in this country. Kids are being spoon fed through college just to play sports while those that really want an education are shelling out close to 20k a year to go and some places more. Most are strapped with student loans for years after college.   Many athletes who make it pro and didn't do anything in school are broke by the time their career is over.  Too bad they didn't take advantage of a great education just handed to them. 

AirWarren

Quote from: pantherblue on March 08, 2012, 04:19:43 am
I think sports as a whole is out of control in this country. Kids are being spoon fed through college just to play sports while those that really want an education are shelling out close to 20k a year to go and some places more. Most are strapped with student loans for years after college.   Many athletes who make it pro and didn't do anything in school are broke by the time their career is over.  Too bad they didn't take advantage of a great education just handed to them. 

Amen. Look at how many go bankrupt because of stupid decisions they make. Saw where Marshall Faulk had to foreclose today on the news. Read where the Jenkins kid from Florida/North Alabama has 8 kids by 7 different women. Keith Brooking scheming to screw a bank over a loan, Antonio Cromartie has 9 kids by 8 different women and had to request a 500k loan to help bail  him out of child support dues in the offseason ETC ETC.  Have the world of opportunity at their hands and find some way to screw it up.

AirWarren

AirWarren

Read where BJ young is filing for the draft without hiring an agent. Still makes me nervous but surely he won't jump ship. Sigh. 

Hoghead

It is what it is. Money, Money, Money !

Billyo62

Quote from: AW on March 30, 2012, 09:08:09 pm
Read where BJ young is filing for the draft without hiring an agent. Still makes me nervous but surely he won't jump ship. Sigh.

I don't think he is going anywhere this year..

Big Fan

Quote from: Billyo62 on April 01, 2012, 10:27:24 am

If he does it will be Scotty Thurman all over again.  He's not ready.

InYoGrill

Heard on drive time just now that Nobles wants out. MA will have practically a whole new team next year.

Romeo

Not sure whether he wanted to leave on his own or if he was basically asked to leave. Mike Anderson and the staff have been on the recruiting trail hard this offseason and might be adding at least three newcomers. The hogs need a true point guard bad. There's been a lot a talk lately about Dee Wagner committing to the hogs. He's a guard from Louisiana who was recently named Mr. Basketball for the state.

I appreciate Nobles effort the last three years but he just never was the true point guard we needed. He had some good moments but unfortunately his bad outweighed his good.

Romeo

Apparently it now appears Dee Wagner is going to replace Nobles. Looks like it was more of a personnel decision for Anderson.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on April 04, 2012, 10:34:40 pm
Apparently it now appears Dee Wagner is going to replace Nobles. Looks like it was more of a personnel decision for Anderson.

I figure MA is very vocal to his team about who he wants there, how they are going to play, what is expected of them, etc. Nobles never looked like he fit in in the MA system.

I appreciate him in his three years here in enduring alot of bull. I wish the kid luck.

AirWarren

Quote from: Billyo62 on April 01, 2012, 10:27:24 am

I hope not Billy.

Romeo

BJ Young just announced at a banquet tonight he's coming back for his sophomore season.

Romeo

Former LR Central player Alandise Harris (6-6, 230) transferring to Arkansas from Houston. Was Houston's second leading scorer this past season averaging 13.8 ppg. Scored 18 points against Arkansas last November. He'll try to get a waiver to play immediately due to his mother passing.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on April 10, 2012, 04:49:19 pm
Former LR Central player Alandise Harris (6-6, 230) transferring to Arkansas from Houston. Was Houston's second leading scorer this past season averaging 13.8 ppg. Scored 18 points against Arkansas last November. He'll try to get a waiver to play immediately due to his mother passing.

Hate the situation for he and his family, but welcome home as a hog.

The Dee Wagner kid from LA signed today as well.

MA

I watched Hog Commit Dederrick Lee today for the 5 time in the past few months. Before everybody jumps down my throat about be a "hater" or something ridiculous, I played with his older brother CJ on a traveling team that his dad helped coach a few years back. I like the kid and I have a lot of respect for their family.

That being said... This kid isnt D1. Not right now at least. I wouldnt be surprised in the least to see Anderson take the scholarship back from him and him end up at a UCA or Tulsa or something like that. He has some upside. He is a decent shooter and has a very quick realease. He is decently quick with the ball. But he cant guard a stump and he isnt smart at all. I would take either of his little brothers over him if they were a few inches taller. He just doesnt have it... Its going to take a tremendous summer IMO for him to make it to the big leagues. He isnt a PG and he is way to small to be a SG. We will see what happens... I just dont see it.

Romeo

Quote from: krik6 on April 15, 2012, 11:28:53 pm
I watched Hog Commit Dederrick Lee today for the 5 time in the past few months. Before everybody jumps down my throat about be a "hater" or something ridiculous, I played with his older brother CJ on a traveling team that his dad helped coach a few years back. I like the kid and I have a lot of respect for their family.

That being said... This kid isnt D1. Not right now at least. I wouldnt be surprised in the least to see Anderson take the scholarship back from him and him end up at a UCA or Tulsa or something like that. He has some upside. He is a decent shooter and has a very quick realease. He is decently quick with the ball. But he cant guard a stump and he isnt smart at all. I would take either of his little brothers over him if they were a few inches taller. He just doesnt have it... Its going to take a tremendous summer IMO for him to make it to the big leagues. He isnt a PG and he is way to small to be a SG. We will see what happens... I just dont see it.

You're not the only person whose had that opinion on Lee. I think MA pulled the trigger a little too early offering him a scholarship.

MA

Quote from: Romeo on April 16, 2012, 12:03:08 am

You're not the only person whose had that opinion on Lee. I think MA pulled the trigger a little too early offering him a scholarship.

There is always a lot of pressure to get "the best player in the state" on campus. I think MA just threw offers at Dederrick and Bobby Portis of Hall when he got the job because they are touted by almost everybody to be the top two players in the state for that class. I havent seen Portis in Person but I hope to sometime this summer of next season. Dederrick is a proven scorer and winner. I watched him my senior year at West Fork drop 23 points on us in the 1st half as a freshman and our guys were ranked 4th in the 4A at the time. It was impressive to say the least. But I dont think he has gotten much more talented since then. He has just added some height and a little strength. I do think he has the potential still... But he is gonna have to commit to playing the 1. He doesnt really fit any position. He is just a ball player. In Highschool and AAU you can get away with that but at the next level he will struggle if he plans on staying the same kind of player he is now.

Romeo

New Rivals150 was released today. Portis moved up from #82 to #56 player in the nation. Lee moved out of the top 150. Last year he was in the 80-90 range.

MA

Quote from: Romeo on April 18, 2012, 08:22:23 pm
New Rivals150 was released today. Portis moved up from #82 to #56 player in the nation. Lee moved out of the top 150. Last year he was in the 80-90 range.

Im not surprised. Lee was 98. I would really like to see Portis.

Romeo

Quote from: krik6 on April 19, 2012, 12:46:07 am
Quote from: Romeo on April 18, 2012, 08:22:23 pm

Im not surprised. Lee was 98. I would really like to see Portis.

Portis might eventually become a 5 star. A lot of scouts are starting to take notice. He was very impressive this weekend in the EYBL tournament. One problem though is that he's starting to get strong attention from Kentucky. Another problem is that Stefan Welsh is "allegedly" trying to get into the handler business and is "allegedly" telling Arkansas recruits to go elsewhere.

MA

I hope he sticks with his decision

Romeo

BB signing class now complete with the commitment of Coty Clarke today. Small forward out of Birmingham. Averaged 14 points and 13 rebounds at JUCO. Had offers from Memphis, Auburn, Georgia, Mississippi State and others. This is how the team will probably look next season:

Guards
B.J. Young Soph 6-3 175, MO  5 star
Rashad Madden Soph 6-5 175, AR  4 star
Rickey Scott Jr 6-3 202, TX  4 star
Mardracus Wade Jr 6-2 175, Memphis  3 star
Dee Wagner Fr 5-11 165, LA  3 star
Anthlon Bell Fr 6-3 180, Memphis  3 star

Forwards
Devonta Abron Soph 6-8 255, TX  3 star
Hunter Mickelson Soph 6-10 235, AR  4 star
Marshawn Powell Jr 6-7 235, VA  4 star
JaCorey Williams Fr 6-8 185, AL 3 star
Michael Qualls Fr 6-5 190, LA 3 star
Alandise Harris Jr 6-6 230, AR no rating
Coty Clarke Jr 6-7 220, AL  3 star

Walk-Ons
Kikko Haydar Jr
Fred Gulley Jr

MA

Romeo

DeVonta Abron has been released from scholarship and will transfer.

Indiana Jones

May 16, 2012, 06:47:39 pm #476 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:50:42 pm by Indiana Jones
Hogs to play in a Vegas tournament
Along with Creighton, Arizona St and  Wisconsin.

http://arkansasbuzz.net/3526/basketball-razorbacks-to-play-in-2012-las-vegas-invite/

Romeo

Arkansas commit Bobby Portis rated number 12 overall in the newest ESPN top 100 for 2013. Highest commitment Arkansas has had since Al Jefferson. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2013/order/true

MA

Just heard from one of the guys that they were just told that Syracuse is coming to Fayetteville on Nov.30. Not sure if that is set in stone yet or not but it came from coach Anderson about 10 minutes ago. That will be a great test.

Romeo

Syracuse is apparently griping about playing us saying they are overcommitted and can't play in the Big East Challenge. Note that Syracuse rarely plays any non-conference games outside of New York. They never play on anyone else homecourt unless its a conference challenge game.

Romeo

Senior year highlights of Michael Qualls, incoming freshman for Arkansas:

rattler60

Not to bad  of a ball player can shoot the three and throw it down.  Athletic.  Hope he does the same for the hogs.

rattler60

What is going on with Aaron ross

Romeo

rattler60

Romeo

Apparently Dederick Lee has decomitted from Arkansas and is opening up his recruiting. http://recruiting.arpreps.com/2012/06/14/lee-opens-up-his-recruiting/

rattler60

Romeo

MA

Nailed it

rattler60

Romeo

Quote from: krik6 on June 14, 2012, 06:48:00 pm

Nailed it

You nailed it. I doubt it was 100% Lee's decision to decommit.

MA

Idk the situation of scholarships but its a little odd to me that the day after D. Lee "Decommits" we get a commitment from 6'9 210 C Moses Kingsley who is a consensus top 100 player. (56 on ESPN. 96 on Rivals)

Just saying

Romeo

Quote from: krik6 on June 15, 2012, 03:13:57 pm
Idk the situation of scholarships but its a little odd to me that the day after D. Lee "Decommits" we get a commitment from 6'9 210 C Moses Kingsley who is a consensus top 100 player. (56 on ESPN. 96 on Rivals)

Just saying

That report was false. Kingsley hasn't committed.

Billyo62

Quote from: Romeo on June 15, 2012, 03:29:08 pm
Quote from: krik6 on June 15, 2012, 03:13:57 pm

Just saying

That report was false. Kingsley hasn't committed.

Correct, it's amazing these days how fast bad info can pass through the internets!

MA

Weird... I got it from the Arkansas Razorback recruiting twitter account lol dummys

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas