• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011-2012 Arkansas Basketball

Started by Romeo, May 19, 2011, 04:22:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pantherblue

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:16:09 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:10:30 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:06:25 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:00:02 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:49:12 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 03:33:04 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:28:08 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 03:12:19 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:07:57 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 02:58:42 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 02:55:51 pm
I doubt it happens Mack Nolan bucked the status quo something NOBODY has ever really done up there. He must be punished in perpetuity! Heck it took dang near 20 years for them to honor the 94 team as if they did something wrong!

But he felt no need to "buck the system" till after he won the NC...   He had to set the stage first and I guess he was just treated badly his first few years on the hill yet chose to stay and coach through it all....  LOL

OR he felt like how can I still be treated poorly after winning it all and felt things were never gonna change as long as the current leadership stayed. Sure he mis calculated he thought he had earned the right to speak out so he did.

Broyles connections built Bud Walton not Nolan's... How do you go against the man who hired you and put you in a brand new arena giving you the free run of the program? Broyles had way less involvement in basketball compared to the football program...

You mean the same man that plotted to fire him while his daughter laid dying in the hospital bed? The same man that because of his "connections" had the NCAA sniffing around on campus threatening to put UA on probation thereby running away recruits. The same man that thinks calling white people redneck is equal to calling black people N's and voices that opinion in public. The same man that actually lied on the witness stand during the trial. How could you go against such a man ???

The last sentence Frank had less involvement in the basketball program than the football program. YEP and look at the results of his less involvement Greatness vs Mediocrity!

I have never been a Broyles fan but don't for one minute think that I don't know what his imprtance was to the U of A where my son is at right now.  I hated Broyles hands in the football program...  And as far as the R word vs the N word, what makes one less derogatory than the other?

It's OK BG I got this. I promise to stay on track by saying that is why the NATION was so surprised that Nolan won a Championship at ARKANSAS. If we were still in in the 50's, 60's, and 70's I would expect that from Frank but for it to have been in the 90's and school administrator to use such a comparison at the dinner table as the subject of conversation...Like I said the fact he won it all is surprising and even more impressive! You thinking they are same...nothing shocking there!

Nice response... I know the angle you are taking...

What angle?

Exactly...

I am afraid you have me at a disadvantage I am trying to communicate with words and you want to communicate in riddles. Say what's on you mind! You're among friends here!  ;)

I have been.. Nolan is getting just what he deserves....  I would just as soon not see him at the games myself.....

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:13:32 pm
This was why coaches weren't flying to the Hill after Nolan left...  It wasn't because of the Administration....  Twist it anyway you want....

1995-1996 Arkansas 20-13 9-7 T-2nd (West) NCAA Sweet 16
1996-1997 Arkansas 18-14 8-8 2nd (West) NIT Final Four
1997-1998 Arkansas 24-9 11-5 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round
1998-1999 Arkansas 23-11 9-7 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round
1999-2000 Arkansas 19-15 7-9 3rd (West) NCAA 1st Round
2000-2001 Arkansas 20-11 10-6 2nd (West) NCAA 1st Round
2001-2002 Arkansas 13-14† 5-10† T-4th (West) None

Who hired Nolan's replacements? So I think it would be fair to say they should bare most of the responsibility for a series of bad hires. That chart does little to prove that people should run from Arkansas because they weren't winning. In fact it proves had the dismissal of Nolan had been smoother there would have been a lot of big named coaches wanting the job.

pantherblue

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:23:04 pm
This was why coaches weren't flying to the Hill after Nolan left...  It wasn't because of the Administration....  Twist it anyway you want....

Who hired Nolan's replacements? So I think it would be fair to say they should bare most of the responsibility for a series of bad hires. That chart does little to prove that people should run from Arkansas because they weren't winning. In fact it proves had the dismissal of Nolan had been smoother there would have been a lot of big named coaches wanting the job.

I think Pel would have had about the same record the next 6 years also....

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:19:05 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:16:09 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:10:30 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:06:25 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:00:02 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:49:12 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 03:33:04 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:28:08 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 03:12:19 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 03:07:57 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 02:58:42 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 02:55:51 pm
I doubt it happens Mack Nolan bucked the status quo something NOBODY has ever really done up there. He must be punished in perpetuity! Heck it took dang near 20 years for them to honor the 94 team as if they did something wrong!

But he felt no need to "buck the system" till after he won the NC...   He had to set the stage first and I guess he was just treated badly his first few years on the hill yet chose to stay and coach through it all....  LOL

OR he felt like how can I still be treated poorly after winning it all and felt things were never gonna change as long as the current leadership stayed. Sure he mis calculated he thought he had earned the right to speak out so he did.

Broyles connections built Bud Walton not Nolan's... How do you go against the man who hired you and put you in a brand new arena giving you the free run of the program? Broyles had way less involvement in basketball compared to the football program...

You mean the same man that plotted to fire him while his daughter laid dying in the hospital bed? The same man that because of his "connections" had the NCAA sniffing around on campus threatening to put UA on probation thereby running away recruits. The same man that thinks calling white people redneck is equal to calling black people N's and voices that opinion in public. The same man that actually lied on the witness stand during the trial. How could you go against such a man ???

The last sentence Frank had less involvement in the basketball program than the football program. YEP and look at the results of his less involvement Greatness vs Mediocrity!

I have never been a Broyles fan but don't for one minute think that I don't know what his imprtance was to the U of A where my son is at right now.  I hated Broyles hands in the football program...  And as far as the R word vs the N word, what makes one less derogatory than the other?

It's OK BG I got this. I promise to stay on track by saying that is why the NATION was so surprised that Nolan won a Championship at ARKANSAS. If we were still in in the 50's, 60's, and 70's I would expect that from Frank but for it to have been in the 90's and school administrator to use such a comparison at the dinner table as the subject of conversation...Like I said the fact he won it all is surprising and even more impressive! You thinking they are same...nothing shocking there!

Nice response... I know the angle you are taking...

What angle?

Exactly...

I am afraid you have me at a disadvantage I am trying to communicate with words and you want to communicate in riddles. Say what's on you mind! You're among friends here!  ;)

I have been.. Nolan is getting just what he deserves....  I would just as soon not see him at the games myself.....

That's over the top and unnecessary besides a case can equally be made that UA got what it deserved...years of basketball pergatory. You can't hurt Nolan without hurting the UA and vice versa. Mike is here and  he will turn the program around. Nolan has done nothing to take the focus off of that and I see no need for fans do so either!

Brian G

Which is exactly for now why he needs to stay out of the limelight.  I however have no issue with his attendance.  That was PB.

zebradynasty

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 04:29:17 pm

I think Pel would have had about the same record the next 6 years also....

I am afraid you would be one of a few that believe that. Pel for whatever reason was doing too much on the job training at times his teams didn't look like they knew what they were doing more importantly the players believed that Pel didn't know what he was doing! Even his team that went to the NCAA T. never looked like the fully understood what it was Pel wanted them to do!

zebradynasty

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 04:41:01 pm
Which is exactly for now why he needs to stay out of the limelight.  I however have no issue with his attendance.  That was PB.

I don't think Nolan is seeking the limelight and his attendance I think is a source of inspiration for Mike so as long as he being just a fan...leave the man alone!

Brian G

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:51:23 pm

I don't think Nolan is seeking the limelight and his attendance I think is a source of inspiration for Mike so as long as he being just a fan...leave the man alone!
I didn't mean to imply he was.  It's his(Nolan's) backers than need to just let things be as they are currently.   Nolan is there for Mike for now and that's just fine.

It's the brewhaha over all the other stuff for him that bugs.  Just dial down the 'honor him' stuff.  It's good that he's there.  No one needs to make anything more of it.

Romeo

Exactly. Even after the Nolan fiasco, Arkansas was still considered a high profile job. But the hiring process was completely screwed up by the administration. Bill Self and Tim Floyd wanted the job but JW insisted that candidates interview on campus, something coaches with jobs don't want to do for protection.

There's a reason why Dana Altman left after 24 hours on the job and it had little to do with the academic situation. Nolan is being used as the fallguy for the program's demise but it was the administration that paid $90,000 to a search firm to find a mid-major level coach with a sub-par record.

Hoghead

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 11:16:25 am
It is possible to appreciate his work and to note his tanks comments as harmful.  Where he's been and what he's been through has no bearing as to acknowledging his career with such high honors.

To award him such honors, you have to look at the entire contribution versus the harm he did down the strectch.

He tried and did partially destroy his own image and the UA itself through his own actions.. The UA doesn't owe him any more nor does he deserve any further awards.
Once again if Kentucky can name stuff for Adolph Rupp. Arkansas should have no problem dropping the uproar from 12 years ago with Nolan. There is nobody in the HISTORY OF ARKANSAS BASKETBALL to win and hang banners like Nolan. The better man forgives and moves on. The angry man wallows in pain and dies in disgust.

pantherblue

Wow not even I said Nolan was wallowing but well put HH. 

Hoghead

Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 08:20:27 pm
Wow not even I said Nolan was wallowing but well put HH. 
Remember PB you're the one disgusted at him. The one who can't stand him. The one who just wishes he would go away. The one who wish he'd at least wear Red Hog Gear to the game. So who's wallowing more than you ? LOL ! Nolan lives in the area, he can go to any UA basketball game he wants too. So stay angry my friend. LOL !

pantherblue

Okay you got me. Grrrrr!!!  How is that NWBA job going??

Hoghead

February 20, 2012, 09:18:11 pm #413 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:19:51 pm by Hoghead
Quote from: pantherblue on February 20, 2012, 08:52:35 pm
Okay you got me. Grrrrr!!!  How is that NWBA job going??
Good enough to where he doesn't need it. How's your job ? WNBA Job dude. You're so mad you can't type ! LOL !

pantherblue

My job is pretty stellar. Big window office and close to the door with several golfing afternoons and big corporate tournaments every year. LOL.   Oh seriously?? LOL. I wasn't sure what the women's monicker was. Never even watched a game nor ever will. 

Hoghead

Quote from: pantherblue on February 21, 2012, 12:06:50 am
My job is pretty stellar. Big window office and close to the door with several golfing afternoons and big corporate tournaments every year. LOL.   Oh seriously?? LOL. I wasn't sure what the women's monicker was. Never even watched a game nor ever will. 
But you re mad enough to keep up with Nolan and knew he coached a WNBA team I see. LOL !

pantherblue

Quote from: Hoghead on February 21, 2012, 01:30:30 am
But you re mad enough to keep up with Nolan and knew he coached a WNBA team I see. LOL !

Not that's what the media keeps shoving down my tv just like him being at the game Saturday in his non-razorback attire... LOL

mack

Quote from: B.G. on February 20, 2012, 05:06:25 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 20, 2012, 04:51:23 pm

I didn't mean to imply he was.  It's his(Nolan's) backers than need to just let things be as they are currently.   Nolan is there for Mike for now and that's just fine.

It's the brewhaha over all the other stuff for him that bugs.  Just dial down the 'honor him' stuff.  It's good that he's there.  No one needs to make anything more of it.

Well, we'll agree that this stuff bugs.

Hoghead

Quote from: pantherblue on February 21, 2012, 07:59:50 am
Quote from: Hoghead on February 21, 2012, 01:30:30 am

Not that's what the media keeps shoving down my tv just like him being at the game Saturday in his non-razorback attire... LOL
A 60+ year old man wears whatever he wants to a game !

pantherblue

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on February 22, 2012, 01:41:07 am
That looks to be 60++.  LOL

Haha, you are right behind him blue beard. I myself would like to see a Nolan image imprinted at halfcourt. Now that 's just me talking. Suckers!

pantherblue

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 22, 2012, 07:51:55 am
Quote from: pantherblue on February 22, 2012, 01:41:07 am
That looks to be 60++.  LOL

Haha, you are right behind him blue beard. I myself would like to see a Nolan image imprinted at halfcourt. Now that 's just me talking. Suckers!

Post a picture of that tatoo you have of Nolan on your little red belly!!!!   LOL

Coach Venny Slocombe

You know, before Eddie Sutton Arkansas basketball was an after thought. Sutton got it rolling and then Nolan took to another level. I really have alot of respect for Nolan and what he accomplished. At the end though he was just off the charts, kinda like Frank. Both should have retired earlier and let their legacies remain totally intact without the BS. Mike is Mike...he isn't Nolan. I think people should just let Mike do his thing and he will be fine. I wonder sometimes if Nolan looking over his shoulder makes him nervous...

AirWarren

Painful season right now.

Nolan's first year was 12 wins.

MA first year is already 17. Who knows how he will finish.

Its apples to oranges I know but he has to build it.

Romeo

The sky has fallen. Arkansas has finally won a road game. Arkansas 77 Auburn 71

Hoghead

A road win anywhere is better than any loss ! I know this had to be a nice flight home for these young bunch of Hogs !!!!! Congrats !!!

AirWarren

Hoghead

18 wins for MA so far. A bunch of Freshmen and underclassmen have done well if you ask me. They don't have a seasoned BIG MAN or a shooter. In the SEC that's a tough ride. Proud of MA and these Hogs !

InYoGrill

Quote from: Hoghead on February 26, 2012, 04:58:05 am
18 wins for MA so far. A bunch of Freshmen and underclassmen have done well if you ask me. They don't have a seasoned BIG MAN or a shooter. In the SEC that's a tough ride. Proud of MA and these Hogs !

I concur

Rattlerfan2004

I have absolute faith in the Razorbacks.  18 wins so far in Mike's first season on the Hill, not too shabby.  Saying the team is young is so cliche, but it's true.  This team is dominated by Freshmen.  Very good freshmen at that.  I just wish the Hogs could get some more inside presense.  I think once we get some of Mike's recruits to go in there and complement the current players, the Arkansas Razorbacks will be back in National Prominence. 

It's already been fun watching this year.  They can only get better!  WPS!

cuz

Hoghead

AirWarren

Romeo

mack

Quote from: Rattlerfan2004 on February 27, 2012, 11:10:30 am
I have absolute faith in the Razorbacks.  18 wins so far in Mike's first season on the Hill, not too shabby.  Saying the team is young is so cliche, but it's true.  This team is dominated by Freshmen.  Very good freshmen at that.  I just wish the Hogs could get some more inside presense.  I think once we get some of Mike's recruits to go in there and complement the current players, the Arkansas Razorbacks will be back in National Prominence. 

It's already been fun watching this year.  They can only get better!  WPS!

Man,,, if's, buts, candy and nuts,,,,,,,, if we had a healthy Marshawn and chickenpoo Clarke had not left, we would have made the NCAA T this year.

When MA gets about two more years under his belt, we will regain our place at the big table.

Man,,,, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Track, women's Basketball, Gymnastics,,,, what a great time to be a Razorback fan. 

rattler60

Rotnei was a bigger lose than marshawn

Brian G

Hoghead

Quote from: rattler60 on March 02, 2012, 09:50:59 pm
Rotnei was a bigger lose than marshawn
One guy gets hurt and loses his season to injury is NOT a LOSER ! Marshawn is still a HOG. The other individual transfers to Butler in his Sr. year is to never be mentioned as a HOG ever again in life !

AirWarren

Dear lord I'm ready for nobles and Sanchez to turn their uniforms in.

Indiana Jones

Quote from: AW on March 03, 2012, 04:42:49 pm
this

AirWarren

Sidney is the laziest sack of crap I've ever watched play basketball for miss st.

Hoghead

Quote from: AW on March 03, 2012, 04:42:49 pm

Sanchez is the UA record holder for most missed shots at point blank range. Nobles holds the UA record for most unneeded shots ever taken !

Romeo

Quote from: AW on March 03, 2012, 04:51:18 pm
Sidney is the laziest sack of crap I've ever watched play basketball for miss st.

And even he outhustled us in the game yesterday. Its astounding to see three red jerseys right near the basket just standing watching an opposing player get the rebound or slam dunk without one guy challenging him. I would have a hard time picking Sanchez to play on my team in regular streetball. I'm just ready to put this season out of its misery.

bleudog

Quote from: Romeo on January 08, 2012, 12:48:19 pm
Apparently now were still in contact with Aaron Ross, who's enrolled in prep school in Minnesota. He's reportedly getting better and is going to qualify for next season.

http://www.arkansassports360.com/29999/former-parkview-standout-aaron-ross-committed-to-texas-tech

pantherblue

As far as Aaron Ross and others like him I have no time for them. Going to JC to qualify?? They had 12 years in HS and obviously didn't think it was very important. Doesn't speak much for their character. 

Brian G

I never expected to see Ross in a Hog uniform.

AirWarren

Romeo

Quote from: pantherblue on March 07, 2012, 06:50:07 pm
As far as Aaron Ross and others like him I have no time for them. Going to JC to qualify?? They had 12 years in HS and obviously didn't think it was very important. Doesn't speak much for their character. 

That's not very fair. A kid that struggles at school and goes to JC to qualify automatically has bad character? Marshawn Powell literally dropped out of school at one point and barely was able to qualify to go to UA, but apparently he automatically has better character than someone that didn't. I think it would speak a lot for their character to not be willing to give up and keeping working to qualify while pursuing their degree.

pantherblue

March 08, 2012, 03:50:57 am #448 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:52:57 am by pantherblue
He knew he needed the grades. They all do but think its not the cool thing to do. 

Hoghead

March 08, 2012, 04:02:56 am #449 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:13:08 am by Hoghead
Quote from: pantherblue on March 07, 2012, 06:50:07 pm
Ron Brewer Sr. went the JC route to Arkansas. Sonny Weems, LENZIE HOWELL and a few others did well at Arkansas via the JC route. Seriously PB, do you really care about if they graduate ? I mean eligibility is more your concern than character isn't it ?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas