• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want Kevin Kelley to be the head coach of the Razorbacks

Started by Mijally2, October 04, 2017, 07:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruin Backer

I believe the sentence in question was illustrative, rather than comparative. Kelley has been very successful at what he does at the 5A high school level in Arkansas. Saban has been very successful at what he does at the SEC and national level. The current Razorback coach has not been very successful at what he is supposed to be doing. Saban never proved he could win in the NFL, so would it be just as delusional to put Saban and Belichick in the same sentence? Both of them, like Kelly, have shown that they can be very successful at a given level, while at the same time being very different types of coaches

The point I was trying to get across was that there are probably a few common denominators shared by coaches at winning programs, at any level. I specifically stated that I didn't believe that Kelly's current scheme would work very well at the SEC level, any more than Saban's current scheme would necessarily work at the NFL level. As the quality of the talent increases, what you can do, and how you can do it, changes. What is common to successful teams is that they use their strengths (whatever they are) to exploit the other team's weaknesses. If anyone has a better explanation of why some teams are consistently better than other teams at a given level, please share it with the rest of us, and we can decide if it is delusional.

Somehow, I doubt the PA, Alabama and Patriot Kool Aid stands are that different. They, like the Bulldogs, have figured out what works for them and they, like their fans, are happy to drink as much Kool Aid as they can. It seems to me that bulldogger15 has proven the truth of the statement that, "When you argue with another wiser than yourself in order that others may admire your wisdom, they will discover your ignorance".

JessieP

Quote from: Bruin Backer on October 05, 2017, 02:41:32 pm
I believe the sentence in question was illustrative, rather than comparative. Kelley has been very successful at what he does at the 5A high school level in Arkansas. Saban has been very successful at what he does at the SEC and national level. The current Razorback coach has not been very successful at what he is supposed to be doing. Saban never proved he could win in the NFL, so would it be just as delusional to put Saban and Belichick in the same sentence? Both of them, like Kelly, have shown that they can be very successful at a given level, while at the same time being very different types of coaches

The point I was trying to get across was that there are probably a few common denominators shared by coaches at winning programs, at any level. I specifically stated that I didn't believe that Kelly's current scheme would work very well at the SEC level, any more than Saban's current scheme would necessarily work at the NFL level. As the quality of the talent increases, what you can do, and how you can do it, changes. What is common to successful teams is that they use their strengths (whatever they are) to exploit the other team's weaknesses. If anyone has a better explanation of why some teams are consistently better than other teams at a given level, please share it with the rest of us, and we can decide if it is delusional.

Somehow, I doubt the PA, Alabama and Patriot Kool Aid stands are that different. They, like the Bulldogs, have figured out what works for them and they, like their fans, are happy to drink as much Kool Aid as they can. It seems to me that bulldogger15 has proven the truth of the statement that, "When you argue with another wiser than yourself in order that others may admire your wisdom, they will discover your ignorance".

Well said. I'll see your quote as it pertains to bullcrapper15iq and do you one better, "when you chose to debate an ignorant man be warned, you will do so on his terms and facts, you will be outgunned"

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: JessieP on October 05, 2017, 02:18:21 pm
I highly doubt Greenwood would use this guy as an indication of their academic prowess. The pea brain doesn't realize that, in his own words, by saying PA should be playing in the 7A and Greenwood is playing in the division they should be (6A) that, quod erat demonstrandum, PA is better the Greenwood.

Please don't judge Greenwood based on Bullcrapper15. 

stinger1

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 08:57:02 pm
He should show us all just how wrong we are and move up in the coaching world.
yes go now today

stinger1

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 09:11:03 pm
Are you sure the I formation isn't working great still? I mean, BB is crushing it at Arkansas.

I completely agree. In high school especially. I think it's going to be very common in high school soon. We won't see it in the NFL though. Or major college football.

Remember though, the classic I formation is still going strong. Alabama has recently dominated with it. Although they are slowly adapting to the new type of football. That's what great coaches do.
i think what great coaches do is adapt to what talent they have when they are not able to recruit players that fit their system.

JessieP

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 05, 2017, 03:02:12 pm
Please don't judge Greenwood based on Bullcrapper15.

Besides bullcrapper15iq I have found Greenwood fans to be quite knowledgeable about football and very gracious. Very similar to most PA fans. When you win year in and year out you don't feel the need to taunt. This guy is a lone wolf nut case.

bulldogger15

Quote from: stinger1 on October 05, 2017, 03:19:55 pm
i think what great coaches do is adapt to what talent they have when they are not able to recruit players that fit their system.
+1

Maynard G Krebs

A well worn adage is a mind is a terrible thing to waste.  It is encouraging to see that even a village idiot can learn to type.  What a wonderful world.

bulldogger15

Quote from: JessieP on October 05, 2017, 03:22:06 pm
Besides bullcrapper15iq I have found Greenwood fans to be quite knowledgeable about football and very gracious. Very similar to most PA fans. When you win year in and year out you don't feel the need to taunt. This guy is a lone wolf nut case.
JessieJane, this is a forum to TAUNT!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

zebradynasty

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was one of those, "we are board, just to make you laugh kind of topics." Heck I had no idea some would take it serious! To think the solution to the Razorback football problems can be solved by hiring a high school coach that has never coached a college game at any level...if you can say that aloud with a straight face you're nuttier than the idea itself! There is absolutely nothing he can put on his resume that would indicate he was capable of running a program in a P-5 Conference...nothing, nadda, zilch...If he is let some other school play mad scientist and hire him. We need a coach that knows what he's doing from DAY 1! No more on the job training!!

Maynard G Krebs

Is it me, or did a certain post on this thread disappear?

Overdahill

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 06, 2017, 12:09:19 pm

That poster had to hustle over to WMS to peddle Dr. Peppers  :D

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 06, 2017, 12:09:19 pm

Little early in the day, isn't it?   ;) :D

JessieP

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 05:05:11 pm
JessieJane, this is a forum to TAUNT!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Oh, it's a place to taunt? why didn't anyone say so? Hey bullcrapper15iq, how did the past 3 seasons end for you? I guess you are correct about one thing, you can't compare PA to Greenwood. PA finishes.

GO PINE BLUFF!!! GO PINE BLUFF!!! GO RUSSELLVILLE!!!

PrivateLesson

Why are you defending PA..... if you aren't from PA?     What's your deal with Greenwood?    Both are top football programs.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: JessieP on October 06, 2017, 12:59:46 pm
Oh, it's a place to taunt? why didn't anyone say so? Hey bullcrapper15iq, how did the past 3 seasons end for you? I guess you are correct about one thing, you can't compare PA to Greenwood. PA finishes.

The money shot!

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: JessieP on October 06, 2017, 12:59:46 pm

Past 4 seasons.  Pine Bluff, El Dorado, Pine Bluff, Russellville.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on October 06, 2017, 01:05:47 pm
Past 4 seasons.  Pine Bluff, El Dorado, Pine Bluff, Russellville.
True... but y'all don't play Pine Bluff, El Dorado, Pine Bluff, Russellville....now do ya? 

JessieP

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 06, 2017, 01:01:38 pm
Why are you defending PA..... if you aren't from PA?     What's your deal with Greenwood?    Both are top football programs.

I'm referring to a specific individual who came on this thread and started hurling insults at people. A blow hard that was throwing Greenwoods perceived dominance in everyone's face. I have no issue with Greenwood nor love for PA. I respect both programs, this individual blitzed the discussion with taunts, insults and ridicule. And you are correct, I am not from PA. I am also a fan of the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Lakers and I have never played for either one. I have great admiration for Seal Team 6 and the military in general, you got it...nope and nope. My 2 favorite all-time tv shows are The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, not Italian, never in the mafia, not a chemistry genius, never a teacher, never manufactured or sold meth. I also love stand-up comedians and my wife tells me daily I'm not funny. Any other questions?

nomorewhining

Quote from: Wonderdog on October 05, 2017, 01:00:02 am
We will never know what Kelley can accomplish in other programs (high school or college) until he shows us. He has a great thing going at PA. It would be tough for any coach that has built a program like he has to part ways with it. We will probably never find out what he and his analytics could produce anywhere outside of PA as intriguing as it may be.

+1..... I think Kelly's "analytics" would fail anywhere else.

His protege tried it at a public school.....disaster.

Mijally2

PrivateLesson

Quote from: JessieP on October 06, 2017, 01:13:27 pm
I'm referring to a specific individual who came on this thread and started hurling insults at people. A blow hard that was throwing Greenwoods perceived dominance in everyone's face. I have no issue with Greenwood nor love for PA. I respect both programs, this individual blitzed the discussion with taunts, insults and ridicule. And you are correct, I am not from PA. I am also a fan of the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Lakers and I have never played for either one. I have great admiration for Seal Team 6 and the military in general, you got it...nope and nope. My 2 favorite all-time tv shows are The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, not Italian, never in the mafia, not a chemistry genius, never a teacher, never manufactured or sold meth. I also love stand-up comedians and my wife tells me daily I'm not funny. Any other questions?
Goodness......I didn't ask for your life history.  lol

Neckred

Quote from: nomorewhining on October 06, 2017, 01:14:03 pm
+1..... I think Kelly's "analytics" would fail anywhere else.

His protege tried it at a public school.....disaster.
Protege's are like son's of coaches.  Usually not near as good

PrivateLesson

All comparisons fall void in certain respects.   College is different from HS, too. 

Leadbelly

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 08:55:30 pm
Before Kelley, everyone said the same things about high school football and some still do.  Frank Broyles said the spread would never work at the college level.

Never say never.
I think Broyles' comment was that it wouldn't work in the SEC. I personally think the Spread equalizes the talent somewhat but  look who has ruled the roost in the SEC for the past decade....Bama is not a spread team.
Kelley would fail as a college D-1 Coach, what he does is successful at the "private level" where you can recruit to the program. It would be interesting to see him coach at a place like Forrest City or Nettleton, Jacksonville etc.. where he had to take what the district has  to offer and play with those kids. I know everyone will jump on my recruiting comment but lets face it....truth.

Overdahill

Quote from: Leadbelly on October 06, 2017, 04:27:12 pm
I think Broyles' comment was that it wouldn't work in the SEC. I personally think the Spread equalizes the talent somewhat but  look who has ruled the roost in the SEC for the past decade....Bama is not a spread team.
Kelley would fail as a college D-1 Coach, what he does is successful at the "private level" where you can recruit to the program. It would be interesting to see him coach at a place like Forrest City or Nettleton, Jacksonville etc.. where he had to take what the district has  to offer and play with those kids. I know everyone will jump on my recruiting comment but lets face it....truth.

I don't think his AD would approve Coach moving to another 5A school  ;)

JacketFan

Quote from: Leadbelly on October 06, 2017, 04:27:12 pm
Very true statement, Kelley is a very good coach, but he would not make it without the option of handpicking athletes, and he definitely would not make it at the D-1 level.  It would be a very big learning curve for him at the college level.

Overdahill

Quote from: JacketFan on October 06, 2017, 05:01:32 pm
Very true statement, Kelley is a very good coach, but he would not make it without the option of handpicking athletes, and he definitely would not make it at the D-1 level. It would be a very big learning curve for him at the college level.

I don't think so, anytime you change positions there is a learning curve but I think you underestimate his knowledge base

Mijally2

Yeah boy. I sure would like to see Kelley coaching the Hogs. If Malzahn can do it so can Kelley. You doubters and haters are football dinosaurs. It's a passing game because DB's can't cover. We'd take a few knocks early but eventually we'd win big.

War Eagle

Coach Kelley is a great HS coach at PA. I honestly have no idea if the no punting and onside kick system would work at a major college program. What I do know is that if an AD at a major program hired a coach directly from high school with a system like this and it didn't work, that AD is as good as fired.

UNLV hired a HC directly from HS (he coached at Bishop-Gorman, an extremely successful HS program)  a few years ago and it has been a complete failure. I'm not comparing that coach to KK or UNLV to Arkansas, but success in HS does not always translate to success in college.

MrNiceGuy

Analytics do not account for the human element....aka momentum....you fail on side
Kicks and 4th downs you're going to fail...Pulaski 9 times out of 10 is the more talented team...and if not he has kids who can spend the time prepping. He can't do that in college.  The guy hasn't even taken over a head coaching job at a big school...

Mijally2

Quote from: War Eagle on October 06, 2017, 10:53:29 pm
Coach Kelley is a great HS coach at PA. I honestly have no idea if the no punting and onside kick system would work at a major college program. What I do know is that if an AD at a major program hired a coach directly from high school with a system like this and it didn't work, that AD is as good as fired.

UNLV hired a HC directly from HS (he coached at Bishop-Gorman, an extremely successful HS program)  a few years ago and it has been a complete failure. I'm not comparing that coach to KK or UNLV to Arkansas, but success in HS does not always translate to success in college.
He would sell more than 36000 seats in War Memorial Stadium for the season opener like we did this year. This AD we got likes that. The recognition, and publicity for this innovative coach with the highly controversial system as shown on ESPN. I'd watch wouldn't you?  The whole college football world would.

War Eagle

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 06, 2017, 11:43:53 pm
He would sell more than 36000 seats in War Memorial Stadium for the season opener like we did this year. This AD we got likes that. The recognition, and publicity for this innovative coach with the highly controversial system as shown on ESPN. I'd watch wouldn't you?  The whole college football world would.

I would watch. And I have no doubt it would draw interest and attention.  If it doesn't work out, it will cost the AD his job. It is all about wins and losses in the end.

Whenever any power 5 team fires a coach, most of the fan base immediately wants a big name hire. No matter how successful a coach is in high school, no P5 fan base will consider a HS coach a "big name" hire. The AD would be staking his reputation to the HS coach succeeding.  I'm not saying KK shouldn't coach in college or that he would fail if he did, I am simply saying that there is not an AD in America that can survive the backlash if it doesn't work out.

Imagine how crazy the AR fan base would be if the no punt/onside kick system lost them a game that they should have otherwise won. People would go insane.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: War Eagle on October 06, 2017, 11:56:51 pm
I would watch. And I have no doubt it would draw interest and attention.  If it doesn't work out, it will cost the AD his job. It

Whenever any power 5 team fires a coach, most of the fan base immediately wants a big name hire. No matter how successful a coach is in high school, no P5 fan base will consider a HS coach a "big name" hire. The AD would be staking his reputation to the HS coach succeeding.  I'm not saying KK shouldn't coach in college or that he would fail if he did, I am simply saying that there is not an AD in America that can survive the backlash if it doesn't work out.

Imagine how crazy the AR fan base would be if the no punt/onside kick system lost them a game that they should have otherwise won. People would go insane.

You don't know Jeff Long😟

War Eagle

Yellowcake

Quote from: JacketFan on October 06, 2017, 05:01:32 pm
Very true statement, Kelley is a very good coach, but he would not make it without the option of handpicking athletes, and he definitely would not make it at the D-1 level.  It would be a very big learning curve for him at the college level.

I wonder what he would do if he hand-picked athletes. Wouldn't that be something. Right now he coaches kids whose parents hand-picked this school in the elementary years.

Let's not start this consistently debunked recruiting allegation.

JessieP

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 06, 2017, 10:27:43 pm
Yeah boy. I sure would like to see Kelley coaching the Hogs. If Malzahn can do it so can Kelley. You doubters and haters are football dinosaurs. It's a passing game because DB's can't cover. We'd take a few knocks early but eventually we'd win big.

Wow, great point. I'm glad you brought us up to speed. I mean I had no idea. Bringing the forward pass to college football? he might win a Noble prize. Exactly how ignorant are you?

Mijally2

Quote from: War Eagle on October 07, 2017, 12:01:10 am
You think Long could survive that?
Jeff has survived us not really competing for a title since he got here up to this point. Maybe he should just play it safe so we can continue like we have or maybe he'll feel the heat and think outside the box. These next 3 games for the Hogs should decide some fates that's for sure. 

Mijally2

Quote from: JessieP on October 07, 2017, 12:37:54 am
Wow, great point. I'm glad you brought us up to speed. I mean I had no idea. Bringing the forward pass to college football? he might win a Noble prize. Exactly how ignorant are you?

War Eagle

I think there is no chance Long could survive another failed football hire. AR fans will call for some big name coach after BB. Responding with a HS coach would have AR fans marching with torches and pitchforks, especially if it didn't pan out

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on October 07, 2017, 12:08:58 am
I wonder what he would do if he hand-picked athletes. Wouldn't that be something. Right now he coaches kids whose parents hand-picked this school in the elementary years.

Let's not start this consistently debunked recruiting allegation.

Speaking of, how did y'all miss out on #3 from LRCA?! kid had to be good in elementary. He slipped through the cracks.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 07, 2017, 06:39:45 am
Speaking of, how did y'all miss out on #3 from LRCA?! kid had to be good in elementary. He slipped through the cracks.

Some parents/kids just can't be bought or bribed.  Some just want to watch the world burn. 

RD™

My PA friends aren't going to like this when I say it....

Rick Jones would make a better College Coach (out of the box) before Kevin Kelley would. My opinion.

Overdahill

Quote from: RD™ on October 07, 2017, 08:11:24 am

Rick Jones would make a better College Coach (out of the box) before Kevin Kelley would. My opinion.

throwing ole Bulldogger a bone?  :D

RD™

InYoGrill

Quote from: RD™ on October 07, 2017, 08:49:37 am
I don't associate with that blabbering idiot.

Dawg, are you lost? You haven't dropped down to 5A yet. Think this will happen???

PrivateLesson

PrivateLesson

Quote from: RD™ on October 07, 2017, 08:11:24 am

+1 and if most were honest they would agree.

strongandsteady

Bobby Petrino has success at Arkansas and he was very offensive minded and brung in a lot of talented players year in year out. I honestly think Coach Kelly could get the job done but it would take a few years on the college first.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas