• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The day after their seasons' end, Calpreps has 4 (count 'em, "FOUR") AR teams in their top 60

Started by OPoraquê, December 03, 2017, 01:56:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

Random thoughts after an absence:

1.  Mack, congratulations to you and NLR.  Job WELL done.  Though it's easier said than done scrambling up the steep hillside north of I-40 to get the shot, I still hope you can get a night photograph of the Old Main stadium with the LR cityscape in the background.  A beautiful football sight on a humid, early September night.

2.  Are you KIDDING me?  Bentonville loses their starting quarterback with 1:27 left in the game and they still scored a TD and were 10 yards away from a game-tying one 3 ill-fated seconds out?  They WERE an excellent team, and that's why...

3.  Bentonville is number 40 right now, with NLR #8, Greenwood #12 and PA #60 on Calpreps list.  Businesstron, I know you've poo-pooed that list in the past but they at least trying to rank, what, 10,000 American high school football teams?  This is the highest I've ever seen this many Arkansas teams postseason on that list, though there will be some inevitable shifting.  As a contrast, Springdale is now ranked #8 on their 2005 list, with Bennie #5 on their 2010 list.  That's about right, IMO.  Springdale 2005 was a harbinger of what NWA teams were about to become, without the strong conference schedule that the 2010s 7A West schools had to regularly face.  Bentonville had to beat a preseason USA Today Super 25 team (Har-Ber) and a team with a future NFL quarterback (Fayetteville, with a little brother on the bench being a future starting SEC quarterback*) each TWICE to go undefeated, after losing THEIR starting qb the 4th game into the season.

That being said, I won't be surprised to see NLR move up further.  I think their schedule this year was even tougher.

4.  This win for NLR is even bigger, IMO, than Owasso's.  Why?  Because poor old metro Oklahoma City STILL hasn't won a big school championship since 1995. In fact, since Oklahoma 6A split, all four Oklahoma 6A games involved metro Tulsa schools (and OKC area sportswriters have called Union, Jenks and Broken Arrow the "axis of evil" in Sooner State high school sports due to those districts being unwilling to consider splitting their high schools, Meanwhile:

5.  Arkansas 7A Central is one of 2017's best districts in America for football.  NLR is #8, Bryant is #99, Conway is #112.  Here's the big question: can that continue?  It's affecting Arkansas sports at the college level.  UCA made the FCS playoffs.  Arkansas State has been bowl eligible for several seasons now.  And Harding just made the NCAA DII semifinals.  Can the 7A Central keep up its success?  Arkansas has a lot of money now, like it or now, and, to quote the late JFK, "a rising tide lifts all boats".  I'd LOVE to see a 7A West/7A Central game like this from here on out.

6.  Someone here said Greenwood could challenge either Bennie or NLR this season (better if BHS had their starting QB, but...).  Remember, you're likely going to get your wish.  Somewhere back in the day I posted a thread how Greenwood HS is projected to be over 2,000 students the closer to completion that Arkansas I-49 gets.

7.  With that in mind, Businesstron, you said you expected the Bentonville schools to start fading a bit from their past status.  That same interstate which will expend Greenwood and metro Fort Smith is edging ever closer to becoming complete in NWA, one of I believe two metro areas of over 500,000 people (the other being Fresno) without a through interstate.  I've a feeling you'll see a LOT of growth in the Bentonville West (closer to the highway) and Bentonville (in east Bella Vista where there's lots of forested land and it will be QUIET) districts when the BVB is complete.  Now, if and when the third high school (likely in Bella Vista?) is built, I think your prediction will come to pass.

8.  Hi, Baitshop, how are ya?  I know you're happy, too, and I can't blame you.  I will say that seeing the success Bentonville had vs. Cabot and Bryant (each of whom played NLR much closer in their losses to the Charging Wildcats) led me to believe this would be a much tighter game, but I had a feeling nonetheless that this was NLR's time, and I'm happy for them.

9.  BillyO and Earl is my hero, hope you are both still out there.  It was a great run for BHS but not fully over yet.  In the six years since the Maxpreps Cup for High School athletics started in 2012, BHS has finished #15, #7, #1, #1, #2 and #3, best of any public school in the nation.  (And this year the 7A west put Fayetteville in the top 20 of that list, too, making the 7A West the top represented conference in the nation.)  That's in the past but it's still been an amazing ride for BHS fans.  Here's to other schools getting to have that success in the Natural State.

* BG, you once said: "Both Allens > Mustain".  I hope Mr. Mitch is enjoying success beyond his wildest dreams post-football.  Yet on the night earlier this year when both Brandon Allen and Austin Allen each threw a touchdown pass in leading their teams to victory (the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Atlanta preseason, and Arkansas against I don't remember who) I wondered how many other sets of quarterback brothers have thrown a TD while leading their respective NFL and NCAA Division I teams to victory on the same day.  That has to be a very short list, and I'm still amazed that Bennie 2010 beat them both.  Wonder if Fayetteville's future Miss America Savvy Shields, then a sophomore like Austin, was in the stands for either game?  Ah, the wonders of Northwest Arkansas.

God bless y'all, and Merry Christmas.

Billyo62

Quote from: OPoraquê on December 03, 2017, 01:56:49 pm
Random thoughts after an absence:

1.  Mack, congratulations to you and NLR.  Job WELL done.  Though it's easier said than done scrambling up the steep hillside north of I-40 to get the shot, I still hope you can get a night photograph of the Old Main stadium with the LR cityscape in the background.  A beautiful football sight on a humid, early September night.

2.  Are you KIDDING me?  Bentonville loses their starting quarterback with 1:27 left in the game and they still scored a TD and were 10 yards away from a game-tying one 3 ill-fated seconds out?  They WERE an excellent team, and that's why...

3.  Bentonville is number 40 right now, with NLR #8, Greenwood #12 and PA #60 on Calpreps list.  Businesstron, I know you've poo-pooed that list in the past but they at least trying to rank, what, 10,000 American high school football teams?  This is the highest I've ever seen this many Arkansas teams postseason on that list, though there will be some inevitable shifting.  As a contrast, Springdale is now ranked #8 on their 2005 list, with Bennie #5 on their 2010 list.  That's about right, IMO.  Springdale 2005 was a harbinger of what NWA teams were about to become, without the strong conference schedule that the 2010s 7A West schools had to regularly face.  Bentonville had to beat a preseason USA Today Super 25 team (Har-Ber) and a team with a future NFL quarterback (Fayetteville, with a little brother on the bench being a future starting SEC quarterback*) each TWICE to go undefeated, after losing THEIR starting qb the 4th game into the season.

That being said, I won't be surprised to see NLR move up further.  I think their schedule this year was even tougher.

4.  This win for NLR is even bigger, IMO, than Owasso's.  Why?  Because poor old metro Oklahoma City STILL hasn't won a big school championship since 1995. In fact, since Oklahoma 6A split, all four Oklahoma 6A games involved metro Tulsa schools (and OKC area sportswriters have called Union, Jenks and Broken Arrow the "axis of evil" in Sooner State high school sports due to those districts being unwilling to consider splitting their high schools, Meanwhile:

5.  Arkansas 7A Central is one of 2017's best districts in America for football.  NLR is #8, Bryant is #99, Conway is #112.  Here's the big question: can that continue?  It's affecting Arkansas sports at the college level.  UCA made the FCS playoffs.  Arkansas State has been bowl eligible for several seasons now.  And Harding just made the NCAA DII semifinals.  Can the 7A Central keep up its success?  Arkansas has a lot of money now, like it or now, and, to quote the late JFK, "a rising tide lifts all boats".  I'd LOVE to see a 7A West/7A Central game like this from here on out.

6.  Someone here said Greenwood could challenge either Bennie or NLR this season (better if BHS had their starting QB, but...).  Remember, you're likely going to get your wish.  Somewhere back in the day I posted a thread how Greenwood HS is projected to be over 2,000 students the closer to completion that Arkansas I-49 gets.

7.  With that in mind, Businesstron, you said you expected the Bentonville schools to start fading a bit from their past status.  That same interstate which will expend Greenwood and metro Fort Smith is edging ever closer to becoming complete in NWA, one of I believe two metro areas of over 500,000 people (the other being Fresno) without a through interstate.  I've a feeling you'll see a LOT of growth in the Bentonville West (closer to the highway) and Bentonville (in east Bella Vista where there's lots of forested land and it will be QUIET) districts when the BVB is complete.  Now, if and when the third high school (likely in Bella Vista?) is built, I think your prediction will come to pass.

8.  Hi, Baitshop, how are ya?  I know you're happy, too, and I can't blame you.  I will say that seeing the success Bentonville had vs. Cabot and Bryant (each of whom played NLR much closer in their losses to the Charging Wildcats) led me to believe this would be a much tighter game, but I had a feeling nonetheless that this was NLR's time, and I'm happy for them.

9. BillyO and Earl is my hero, hope you are both still out there.  It was a great run for BHS but not fully over yet.  In the six years since the Maxpreps Cup for High School athletics started in 2012, BHS has finished #15, #7, #1, #1, #2 and #3, best of any public school in the nation.  (And this year the 7A west put Fayetteville in the top 20 of that list, too, making the 7A West the top represented conference in the nation.)  That's in the past but it's still been an amazing ride for BHS fans.  Here's to other schools getting to have that success in the Natural State.

* BG, you once said: "Both Allens > Mustain".  I hope Mr. Mitch is enjoying success beyond his wildest dreams post-football.  Yet on the night earlier this year when both Brandon Allen and Austin Allen each threw a touchdown pass in leading their teams to victory (the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Atlanta preseason, and Arkansas against I don't remember who) I wondered how many other sets of quarterback brothers have thrown a TD while leading their respective NFL and NCAA Division I teams to victory on the same day.  That has to be a very short list, and I'm still amazed that Bennie 2010 beat them both.  Wonder if Fayetteville's future Miss America Savvy Shields, then a sophomore like Austin, was in the stands for either game?  Ah, the wonders of Northwest Arkansas.

God bless y'all, and Merry Christmas.

Still here just lurking from the weeds!

Go Tigers ;D

Valleysports

I'm recovering from my first knee clean out.  I'm gonna go down kicking n fighting all the way - y'all can have that grace thing...   >:(

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas