• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2017, 12:29:31 pm
Because the players aren't going to the Art's festivals, going camping, riding the bike trails, they're practicing football. There's a big difference in what 25-35 year olds do, and what 18-22 year olds do during their school years.

I assumed that was the reason.  I have not spent a lot of time in Fayetteville.  Just the odd game here or there.  Have friends that went to school there and stayed in that area of the state. 

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on February 08, 2017, 12:45:04 pm
Fayetteville is good, but I will take Nashville and Gainesville though.

MANY more places than fayetteville.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 08, 2017, 12:51:46 pm
MANY more places than fayetteville.
Only 4 according to U.S. News.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2017, 05:08:48 pm
Only 4 according to U.S. News.

Too bad us news doesn't decide our recruiting.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 08, 2017, 07:57:32 pm
Too bad us news doesn't decide our recruiting.

Oh, I don't think it matters one bit for recruiting.

Lumberjackfan1978

Definitely doesn't matter for recruiting but Fayetteville is a nice place

VHSCoach2

Just saw that the Hogs will travel to Colorado State in 2018 and host the Rams in 2019. Both will count toward the Power 5 requirement since Michigan left the Hogs high and dry.

AirWarren

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 08, 2017, 02:48:24 pm
Just saw that the Hogs will travel to Colorado State in 2018 and host the Rams in 2019. Both will count toward the Power 5 requirement since Michigan left the Hogs high and dry.

"Marquee"

beach bum

I really don't like that.... Unless we show improvement I will be actually worried when we go to Fort Collins in 2018. Not saying we will lose, but the Rams have a small shot at us. Colorado State isn't good, but no pushover for sure like a Florida A&M or Alcorn State. The first game on the road has upset type game written all over it. Teams like Colorado State will play a game like that against a mid to lower SEC team like it is their Super Bowl. I would have rather played a power 5 cause we should win this, but if we don't that looks really bad.

AirWarren

ricepig

I was looking forward to making the trip to Ann Arbor. My oldest works in Chicago now, and we were going to make it a road trip. I do like the idea of going to Colorado in September, I've never been that time of the year. I may try to make it out, they say the new stadium will be nice.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2017, 08:05:47 pm
I was looking forward to making the trip to Ann Arbor. My oldest works in Chicago now, and we were going to make it a road trip. I do like the idea of going to Colorado in September, I've never been that time of the year. I may try to make it out, they say the new stadium will be nice.

Weather is probably awesome. Topography.

beach bum

I saw on social media that Rawleigh Williams III is done. It is what is best for him and with his family upbringing I know he will be successful in life no matter what he does. He put everything on the line each game and was vital getting those tough yards. He was such a smart and tough runner getting so many yards last year without having break away speed. Saying he will be missed does not even begin to hit the scope of how big of shoes we will need to fill his spot. I am not sure Whaley is capable of getting those tough runs needed in our offense. Minus RW3 it will easily drop us 1 loss in the overall projection. Best wishes RW3, he was a true Razorback.

cuckoobird

Longfellow

Even though they will lack depth, I think the Razorbacks are better with Whaley as the main man in the backfield

smallybells

I would guess this means we are going to see more of the freshman RB Maleek Williams or they will rotate TJ Hammons back, either way there are some big shoes to fill there. Best wishes for RW3.

Pepper Bolin

We will still suck because CBB is the coach. Why don't you people learn...Arkansas is a losing program because the people love mediocrity...plain and simple...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Pepper Bolin on May 10, 2017, 03:31:20 am
We will still suck because CBB is the coach. Why don't you people learn...Arkansas is a losing program because the people love mediocrity...plain and simple...

You Must not listen to any call in shows or read most forums..

beach bum

I hate to say it but 5-7 or 6-6 could likely happen. We will get those 3 pure gimme games but after that I only see getting a few more. Unless Whaley brings an entire different level of being an all around RB but I am not sure. We will see though. Just imagine if he got dinged up how bad it could get. Hammonds IS NOT capable of getting the tough carries like RW3 could either. I am not sure RW3 translated to the pro game, but he was something special the short time we were lucky to have him at the college level. He was one of those players you truly got everything out of his abilities.

ricepig

I think Meleek Williams can give us some tough yards, but he will be a freshman. We're lucky/fortunate that he enrolled early and has gotten a semester in.

AirWarren

Chase Hayden? He has potential. Just young.

mack

Quote from: Pepper Bolin on May 10, 2017, 03:31:20 am

Someone's getting salty up in here.....

smallybells

May 12, 2017, 01:16:14 am #373 Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:25:20 am by smallybells
I think Whaley will step up and Maleek Williams will be a surprise to be honest. I also think our lack of pass protection  with no established receivers will be magnified, line play on both sides of the ball and secondary will still perform as they did last year. Buckle up for a sub .500 season fellas, it's coming.

beach bum

Quote from: smallybells on May 12, 2017, 01:16:14 am
I think Whaley will step up and Maleek Williams will be a surprise to be honest. I also think our lack of pass protection  with no established receivers will be magnified, line play on both sides of the ball and secondary will still perform as they did last year. Buckle up for a sub .500 season fellas, it's coming.

I think most will agree with this assessment that we will know the exact type of season we are headed for right after the TCU and A&M games. If we go 0-2 in those games then certainly a below .500 record is coming no question. Split those games and I see us at least scraping a 6-6 or 7-5 record and a bowl game. Pull a rabbit out of the hat and somehow win them both then they will exceed all of our expectations and get up to 8 wins. However, I think 0-2 or 1-1 is likely in those two games and those games will be the glimmer of what is to come the final 8 or 9 games of the season.

nuttinbuthogs

Its time the program got on a 9-10 game win streak. Not once in a while but year after year.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 12, 2017, 05:14:47 pm
Its time the program got on a 9-10 game win streak. Not once in a while but year after year.
not gonna happen anytime soon

nuttinbuthogs

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 13, 2017, 08:22:34 pm
New Coach!

5-7 and it has to be time to move on.... That would be 30-33 after five seasons. What else would people need to see? I think Arkansas fans in general are realistic. They know 10-2 is not happening four out of five seasons. However, we should be having 10-2 seasons every 4th to 5th year to be considered a success imo with 8 as a baseline.... What is needed for that to happen is a more dynamic offense. I think with our recruiting disadvantage we know we have against states like Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana that we are almost virtually never going to be fielding extreme depth at the defensive end. Petrino wasn't going to ever win a national title cause we even then showed our lack of defensive physicality against the big dogs. However, he had a scheme where he was going to rack up big points against average to solid teams which tallied his win total up there. I think a program like Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Miss State have shown when they have a big offense and a dynamic scheme then 10 wins becomes very realistic from time to time. We all know the defense has stunk lately, but that offense is solid but the scheme seems to make us turn into a ghost team too much.

AirWarren

If he had a mediocre season again. Yes. I think he will move on on his own.

nuttinbuthogs

He makes too much to move on his own.

OB11

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 21, 2017, 08:32:18 pm
He makes too much to move on his own.

I had the same thought.

cuckoobird

Why would he leave a job that pays 4.5 million that doesn't require you to perform at a high level? I know I wouldn't

HorseFeathers

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 23, 2017, 08:16:29 am
Why would he leave a job that pays 4.5 million that doesn't require you to perform at a high level? I know I wouldn't

I'd be a lifetime employee

nuttinbuthogs

Isn't that sort of the way of the world. Reward mediocrity?  You know, every child gets a trophy sort of thing.

AirWarren

Hank Hill. Iconic man from King of the hill, says it best.

"Just because Bobby wears a cape, doesn't make him a hero"

bleudog

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on June 19, 2017, 07:52:33 pm
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/6hwb1s/2017_final_standings_based_on_the_vegas_ou_win/#f/arkansas

Some of those are a little interesting and eye popping. I could see 7-5 again for Arkansas however. That early TCU and Texas A&M pocket will determine if the Hogs are a complete dud or salvage a respectable season. I definitely think Bama, Auburn, and LSU will be a cut above like predicted. But no way does South Carolina win 1 game overall and Miss State 2 overall.

beach bum

I have been watching the 30 minute "summer tours" from time to time on SEC Network catching up on each team to give me a better idea of each team in the SEC. I am brave enough I am already going to take a crack at picking every SEC teams regular season record for this coming year.....

West
1.Alabama 7-1  (11-1)
2.Auburn 6-2  (10-2)
3.LSU 6-2  (10-2)
4.Ole Miss 3-5  (7-5)
5.Arkansas 3-5  (6-6)
6.Texas A&M 3-5  (6-6)
7. Miss State 2-6 (5-7)

East
1.Georgia 6-2 (10-2)
2.Florida 5-3 (7-5)
3.Tennessee 4-4 (7-5)
4.Kentucky 4-4 (7-5)
5.Vanderbilt 3-5 (6-6)
6.South Carolina 3-5 (5-7)
7.Missouri 1-7 (3-9)

-Alabama OVER Georgia in the SEC title game
-Alabama loses again in the national title game
-Auburn or LSU sneaks in the final 4 teams whoever wins that game head to head in the regular season and gets the #4 seed in the playoff but loses once they get there
-Butch Jones gets fired at Tennessee
-Dan Mullen resigns and gets out of the SEC West in a hurry in another job in the ACC or Big Ten

Proud Buckaroo

So... you have Arkansas beating MIss state, Texas a&m and mizzou?

beach bum

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 24, 2017, 08:30:29 pm
So... you have Arkansas beating MIss state, Texas a&m and mizzou?

That is exactly the 3 teams I think we will beat so you guessed it spot on.... I know this may sound strange, but the law of averages says at some point we have to beat A&M. Arkansas can't lose to them forever. And we have a winning streak against Ole Miss so I think that we lose in Oxford with the law of averages working against us there. Of course I won't use that theory for our losing streak with Alabama. They definitely don't apply to any law of averages, but when 2 teams are fairly similar at some point the streak has to end like A&M or the Ole Miss one we have. South Carolina and Ole Miss certainly could be in the win column though.

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on June 24, 2017, 08:17:31 pm
I have been watching the 30 minute "summer tours" from time to time on SEC Network catching up on each team to give me a better idea of each team in the SEC. I am brave enough I am already going to take a crack at picking every SEC teams regular season record for this coming year.....

West
1.Alabama 7-1  (11-1)
2.Auburn 6-2  (10-2)
3.LSU 6-2  (10-2)
4.Ole Miss 3-5  (7-5)
5.Arkansas 3-5  (6-6)
6.Texas A&M 3-5  (6-6)
7. Miss State 2-6 (5-7)

East
1.Georgia 6-2 (10-2)
2.Florida 5-3 (7-5)
3.Tennessee 4-4 (7-5)
4.Kentucky 4-4 (7-5)
5.Vanderbilt 3-5 (6-6)
6.South Carolina 3-5 (5-7)
7.Missouri 1-7 (3-9)

-Alabama OVER Georgia in the SEC title game
-Alabama loses again in the national title game
-Auburn or LSU sneaks in the final 4 teams whoever wins that game head to head in the regular season and gets the #4 seed in the playoffbut loses once they get there
-Butch Jones gets fired at Tennessee
-Dan Mullen resigns and gets out of the SEC West in a hurry in another job in the ACC or Big Ten
there is a crazy season ahead of us if a 2 loss team makes the playoff.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: beach bum on June 24, 2017, 09:52:45 pm
That is exactly the 3 teams I think we will beat so you guessed it spot on.... I know this may sound strange, but the law of averages says at some point we have to beat A&M. Arkansas can't lose to them forever. And we have a winning streak against Ole Miss so I think that we lose in Oxford with the law of averages working against us there. Of course I won't use that theory for our losing streak with Alabama. They definitely don't apply to any law of averages, but when 2 teams are fairly similar at some point the streak has to end like A&M or the Ole Miss one we have. South Carolina and Ole Miss certainly could be in the win column though.

I'll go out on a limb and say we go... 8-4. Only losing to auburn, lsu, Alabama and Texas a&m. 

beach bum

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 25, 2017, 12:40:11 am
I'll go out on a limb and say we go... 8-4. Only losing to auburn, lsu, Alabama and Texas a&m.

That would be a really good season all considering the RW3 loss and Coach B would actually be able to sleep easy finally knowing he is in good graces again.

beach bum

June 25, 2017, 01:10:27 pm #394 Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:12:32 pm by beach bum
Quote from: LRRandy on June 24, 2017, 09:56:27 pm
there is a crazy season ahead of us if a 2 loss team makes the playoff.

There would need to be a lot of losing because at this point the Big Ten and Pac 12 have solidified their champs as major contenders on a yearly basis again. There will have to be a lot of jumbling up of losses cause at this point Ohio State/Michigan winner plus the Washington/USC winner look to be strong and I personally think Michigan is going to pummel Florida by a score of like 38-10 early in the year. USC finished strong, but they always get the preseason hype train then fizzle out so I will believe it when I see it. I still think a Big 12 team must go undefeated to make it but that certainly is possible. I think the ACC comes down to Florida State and my surprise team of Miami. They won all 9 of their regular season games last year by 19 points or more and all 3 of their losses were brutal close ones. They return a lot and you would think those close games go in their favor this year...... Just my thoughts, but does anyone else see a possible surprise team coming out?

gameoflife

SEC football is the best conference in the country until someone consistently proves they are not and one year doesn't make it so. Look at the last to years not just one.

AirWarren

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on July 06, 2017, 12:10:24 pm
Arkansas vs Notre Dame

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/notre_dame_arkansas_schedule_h.html?platform=hootsuite

Wish that was the other way around... Stinks we won't see them in Fayetteville until 2025. I hope Notre Dame continues to stink.

cuckoobird

More than likely won't see them at all. Got a feeling they will Michigan us if they find a better option

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 06, 2017, 01:33:48 pm
More than likely won't see them at all. Got a feeling they will Michigan us if they find a better option

Probably.... Or they may join a conference by then and then they have to alter their schedule completely. They'll lose to Navy enough they'll join a conference to avoid Navy. I love watching them lose to Navy. I keep wanting Army or Air Force to beat Notre Dame too.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas