• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question on announcing

Started by 1-Adam-12, December 02, 2014, 10:02:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1-Adam-12

During tonight's basketball game here I announced the player who just made a basket, as I have done for nearly 20 years without any problems.

Midway of the second quarter one of the officials comes to the table and says a rule had been passed where announcements could only be made in dead ball situations. So when a basket was scored, I could not do with gusto as I have for years, for example to use the name of one of our all-time greats..."THREEEEEEE!! BRITTANY WARD!"

Does someone have any insight on why this came about? Disappointed that this has happened.  Takes a lot away from the game, i.e. getting the crowd fired up. Did something happen at a particular game/games that caused it to be brought up?

Brian G

News to me.  I've been to a half a dozen games this year and that wasn't the case.

athletic supporter

I announce the games at Atkins, and I haven't been told of this by an official.

1-Adam-12

December 03, 2014, 06:31:47 am #3 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:44:48 am by 1-Adam-12
I looked this morning.  It is a NFHS rule.  Announcements can only be made during dead ball, and cannot be emphatic.

I guess it is "No Fun Aloud" any more. Sad.

Tripod1

Well unless the rule has changed when the ball goes through the basket it is dead until at the disposal of the player throwing it in so be quick on the announcement!!

sevenof400

That POE does NOT stop you from announcing everything.  From the POE:
Quote1. Announcer Responsibilities - The announcer shall be prohibited from making an announcement while the clock is running and while the clock is stopped and the ball is alive...such as during a free throw, a throw in, etc. Doing so could potentially affect communication of coaches, players or be disconcerting.

- The announcer shall be prohibited from interrupting the game through the use of the microphone unless there is an emergency.
- Announcements or comments shall be made during those times when there is a stoppage of the clock and the ball is not live, such as time outs, between quarters, pre-game, half time and post game.
- The announcer is allowed to announce basic information that does not potentially affect the play in general, the players, the coaches, or the officials. The announcer's information is not official information and could be misinformation shared with all.
- Appropriate training of announcers by personnel and proper pre-game instruction by the Referee are necessary.

May be Announced - Examples:

- Player who scored
- Player charged with foul
- Player attempting free throw
- Team granted a time out
- Length of time out: 30 seconds or 60 seconds
- Player entering game
- Team Rosters

Rulesman

Quote from: Tripod1 on December 03, 2014, 09:49:12 am
Well unless the rule has changed when the ball goes through the basket it is dead until at the disposal of the player throwing it in so be quick on the announcement!!
The clock is still running...

Announcer Responsibilities - The announcer shall be prohibited from making an announcement while the clock is running...

ricepig

Quote from: Rulesman on December 03, 2014, 12:43:30 pm
Quote from: Tripod1 on December 03, 2014, 09:49:12 am
The clock is still running...

Announcer Responsibilities - The announcer shall be prohibited from making an announcement while the clock is running...

Stupidest rule ever.

WPWells

What's the point of an announcer then?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Dear Lord what is wrong with people? Do the people at the NFHS have anything better to do than to make up completely stupid rules and ruin the game...IDIOTS!

Jack1990

Didn't you know that basketball should be watched in a quiet noise free environment.  What's next?? Going to have people standing around the court with signs like in golf?  "Quiet Please"

1-Adam-12

December 03, 2014, 04:31:03 pm #12 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:38:31 pm by 1-Adam-12
I guess I will cut loose with all I have during starting lineup introductions from now on.  Because that looks like what I'll be limited to.

I will always remember our 2000 game vs. Clarksville when we beat them for the first time in 23 years.  I was loud and proud that night, and many others.

Silly rule, and I wish I could do it anyway.  But I don't want to risk the team getting a "T" or me getting tossed since I also keep the stats.  So during the game, I guess it's the sound of silence for me.

I agree with Venny. Don't the powers that be have something better to do than take a lot of the fun out of the game?

Brian G

I think it will loosen up and be interpreted differently.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: B.G. on December 03, 2014, 06:14:59 pm

i hope you are right...

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on December 03, 2014, 06:14:59 pm

No change in the tournament games I watched last night, they announced like always.

Brian G

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on December 05, 2014, 09:08:19 am
None I've seen either.

I talked to the guy doing it between games and he said no one has mentioned anything about it. We had talked about the difference in our PA guy in football and what the rules say, lol.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2014, 09:47:19 am
None I've seen either.

I talked to the guy doing it between games and he said no one has mentioned anything about it. We had talked about the difference in our PA guy in football and what the rules say, lol.
Well that's good news, hopefully BG is right...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 05, 2014, 01:28:45 pm
None I've seen either.

Of course, these officials didn't know the difference between a block and a charge, so they might not have been up on the rules...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2014, 01:45:48 pm
None I've seen either.

Of course, these officials didn't know the difference between a block and a charge, so they might not have been up on the rules...
lol...do any of them know the difference?

arreferee

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 05, 2014, 03:02:19 pm
None I've seen either.

Does anyone know the difference?

True Fan

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: arreferee on December 08, 2014, 07:45:19 am
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 05, 2014, 03:02:19 pm
None I've seen either.

Does anyone know the difference?
Nope...

1-Adam-12

I was at the ToC last night and the PA man at Southside was announcing everything live or dead ball as always.

I probably came across an official who's a real stickler.

True Fan

Stickler? Yea, that is a very nice way to put it. ;D

ricepig

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 14, 2014, 05:40:33 pm
I was at the ToC last night and the PA man at Southside was announcing everything live or dead ball as always.

I probably came across an official who's a real stickler.

Shoot, we had a substitute the other night and he was doing a running play by play, and was bad at it.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: True Fan on December 14, 2014, 06:33:44 pm
Stickler? Yea, that is a very nice way to put it. ;D

Yea, I tend to be a really nice guy. ;D

SouthpawSensation

Every game I've been to this season, and I've been to a few, they have always announced made baskets, fouls, players entering, etc.
Now, for my opinion ...
I don't consider that an announcement because it's part of the game. I consider an announcement something such as somebody left their lights on outside, somebody needs to move their car or get it towed, half-price hot dogs and popcorn at the concession stand ... something that doesn't consist of part of the game and would interrupt the flow of the game.
The only time something should be used to do that was an emergency, such as fire, tornado, a lost kid, somebody who has passed out in the stands and needs medical attention, etc.

ricepig

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on December 31, 2014, 11:13:29 pm
Every game I've been to this season, and I've been to a few, they have always announced made baskets, fouls, players entering, etc.
Now, for my opinion ...
I don't consider that an announcement because it's part of the game. I consider an announcement something such as somebody left their lights on outside, somebody needs to move their car or get it towed, half-price hot dogs and popcorn at the concession stand ... something that doesn't consist of part of the game and would interrupt the flow of the game.
The only time something should be used to do that was an emergency, such as fire, tornado, a lost kid, somebody who has passed out in the stands and needs medical attention, etc.

They announce popcorn sales during play?

razorhogs72501

First game of the year, I was told in the 2nd quarter I could not list how many team fouls a team had or personal fouls a person had after a foul because if I was wrong, then the coach could be confused. I was not allowed to be excited after a made 3 or say that it was a 3. I asked why and again was given the reason of the coach could be confused if I was wrong and it was actually a 2. I was not allowed to say who made a bucket during the run of play. I had to hold back laughter because I thought they were joking with me. Same thing happaned for the second game. If a coach is actually listening to the PA guy during a game then he/she is probably not the best coach. THey have since cooled off and most everything is back to normal.

Lions84

What a Moronic Rule ! The Rule makers need to take a chill pill.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: razorhogs72501 on January 06, 2015, 09:15:47 am
First game of the year, I was told in the 2nd quarter I could not list how many team fouls a team had or personal fouls a person had after a foul because if I was wrong, then the coach could be confused. I was not allowed to be excited after a made 3 or say that it was a 3. I asked why and again was given the reason of the coach could be confused if I was wrong and it was actually a 2. I was not allowed to say who made a bucket during the run of play. I had to hold back laughter because I thought they were joking with me. Same thing happaned for the second game. If a coach is actually listening to the PA guy during a game then he/she is probably not the best coach. THey have since cooled off and most everything is back to normal.

Were they trying to say they thought the coaches were morons?

Longfellow

I haven't had a problem with officials. And I actually break some of those "rules". I guess some people are actually
Focused on basketball and not the announcer

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on January 26, 2015, 08:00:49 am
I haven't had a problem with officials. And I actually break some of those "rules". I guess some people are actually
Focused on basketball and not the announcer

Do you announce at Two Rivers Games?

WPWells

1-Adam-12

I decided to restart announcing baskets, etc. when Lamar came here last week.  Officials didn't bat an eye.

Lions84

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on January 27, 2015, 06:20:04 am
I decided to restart announcing baskets, etc. when Lamar came here last week.  Officials didn't bat an eye.

Sounds like a winning idea to me.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas