• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update for old Bennie opponents:

Started by Rockstate, November 08, 2014, 10:33:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockstate

Rockhurst beat Blue Springs last night 34-29.  State quarters.

Billyo62

The Hawklets are looking pretty good as of late.

Texas

Trinity went 9-1 losing only to Southlake Carroll which was their first district loss since 2005.

They will be playing 6-4 South Grand Prairie on Saturday at 8P, prolly more like 9:30P.

TigerHawg

Quote from: Rockstate on November 08, 2014, 10:33:55 am
Rockhurst beat Blue Springs last night 34-29.  State quarters.

Congrats on the win! I hated the beating we took but you have a solid team, which is why CBL likes the matchup. I wont mind saying the Arkansas State Champs lost to the Missouri State Champs  :)  Good luck!

webbfootball03

I wouldn't mind saying the Missouri class 4 state champs thumped the Missouri class 6 state champs :)

Razorback Red

Quote from: Texas on November 08, 2014, 09:15:37 pm
Trinity went 9-1 losing only to Southlake Carroll which was their first district loss since 2005.

They will be playing 6-4 South Grand Prairie on Saturday at 8P, prolly more like 9:30P.

Nice comeback win for Trinity last night.  I was following on Twitter and the 1st half was ugly, but good teams find ways to win.  Congrats and good luck against Plano West this week. 

Texas

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 16, 2014, 08:41:39 am
Quote from: Texas on November 08, 2014, 09:15:37 pm

Nice comeback win for Trinity last night.  I was following on Twitter and the 1st half was ugly, but good teams find ways to win.  Congrats and good luck against Plano West this week.
Yeah, thanks. It was a very unlikely comeback. Trinity held SGP to 30 yards of offense in the 2nd half and OT. All three and outs.

Next week vs. All-State, All-American, all everything. Plano West RB Soso Jamabo. He is gimpy though with a bad ankle. Even with the bad ankle he still managed 200+ yards and four TD's in their first PO game. Tough challenge. Here is the game thread if y'all wanna take a peak. http://6atxfootball.vbulletin.net/forum/main-forum/61960-dir1-area-round-trinity-trojans-10-1-vs-plano-west-wolves-9-2-sat-5p-deathstar

- Texas AKA Super B

Razorback Red

Texas,
Who do you have winning the Allen/Desoto game on Saturday?  Hard to believe they play in rd 2, when they are probably both top 5 teams in TX. 

businesstron

It's weekends like this one coming up that makes me miss Dallas.   That's gonna be a good day of football at Cowboys stadium.  The Allen/Desoto game is gonna be good but the SLC/Guyer and Trinity/Plano West games should be good as well.   Even the Cedar hill game might be okay.

TigerHawg

Did Allen get the stadium issue resolved?

Razorback Red

Quote from: businesstron on November 19, 2014, 05:43:26 pm
It's weekends like this one coming up that makes me miss Dallas.   That's gonna be a good day of football at Cowboys stadium.  The Allen/Desoto game is gonna be good but the SLC/Guyer and Trinity/Plano West games should be good as well.   Even the Cedar hill game might be okay.

Those are some great games.  The only problem with the Texas 6A brackets is that they try and keep travel to a minimum until the region finals.  In the D1 bracket, one side is stacked and the other side is weak (for TX 6A standards).  Some of the best games will be in rds 2 and 3. 

It's hard to do anything different with 64 teams in each bracket, but it would be nice to see a better seeding system. 

Texas

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 18, 2014, 08:51:45 pm
Texas,
Who do you have winning the Allen/Desoto game on Saturday?  Hard to believe they play in rd 2, when they are probably both top 5 teams in TX.
Tough one. I guess I'll go with Murray, I mean Allen. Neither play much defense. Should be a barn burner.

Texas

Quote from: TigerHawg on November 20, 2014, 07:23:47 am
Did Allen get the stadium issue resolved?
The Allen crack house.  ;D

Not yet. They are renovating it. I suppose it will be ready in time for kickoff in 2015.

Texas

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 20, 2014, 01:58:11 pm

Those are some great games.  The only problem with the Texas 6A brackets is that they try and keep travel to a minimum until the region finals.  In the D1 bracket, one side is stacked and the other side is weak (for TX 6A standards).  Some of the best games will be in rds 2 and 3. 

It's hard to do anything different with 64 teams in each bracket, but it would be nice to see a better seeding system.
I agree. I wish it could be seeded by region. They'd have to find a fair and equitable way of doing that, but it would solve these problems of very good teams meeting so early like this.

In the '70's only one team per district made the playoffs. Too many good teams were left out. In the early '80's it was two. In the early '90's there was three, one Division I, two Division II. That only last 6-8 years before they evened it out with four teams from each district, two DI, two DII. That is just way too many IMO.

This season there was an 0-10 team from Houston that made the playoffs. I kid you not. Only five teams in the district, but one of those teams was ruled ineligible for post-season play. I think two per district is a good number. There would no longer be crap teams making the playoffs.

businesstron

Quote from: Texas on November 20, 2014, 11:52:18 pm
Quote from: Razorback Red on November 20, 2014, 01:58:11 pm

I agree. I wish it could be seeded by region. They'd have to find a fair and equitable way of doing that, but it would solve these problems of very good teams meeting so early like this.

In the '70's only one team per district made the playoffs. Too many good teams were left out. In the early '80's it was two. In the early '90's there was three, one Division I, two Division II. That only last 6-8 years before they evened it out with four teams from each district, two DI, two DII. That is just way too many IMO.

This season there was an 0-10 team from Houston that made the playoffs. I kid you not. Only five teams in the district, but one of those teams was ruled ineligible for post-season play. I think two per district is a good number. There would no longer be crap teams making the playoffs.

I like the 4 team set up.   I remember when it was 3 teams and you still had the problems of district champs meeting in the first round.  I remember there was a sting of years where Pearland and Northshore would always meet in the first round with both of them being undefeated.  Probably the only reason I like  the 4 team set is I remember the sting being the 4th team left out of the playoffs due to a 4 way tie in our district.  We went 8-2 and had won the state title the year before and didn't even get the chance to defend our title.    Seeding it out by region would make it perfect.....it would make the first two rounds suck though. 

Texas

Quote from: businesstron on November 21, 2014, 05:01:46 pm
I like the 4 team set up.   I remember when it was 3 teams and you still had the problems of district champs meeting in the first round.  I remember there was a sting of years where Pearland and Northshore would always meet in the first round with both of them being undefeated.  Probably the only reason I like  the 4 team set is I remember the sting being the 4th team left out of the playoffs due to a 4 way tie in our district.  We went 8-2 and had won the state title the year before and didn't even get the chance to defend our title.    Seeding it out by region would make it perfect.....it would make the first two rounds suck though.
I hear what you are saying, but your team did have a chance to defend your title. If they had won just one more game in district, they would have been in the playoffs. So that was their chance.

The problem with four teams, is there will always be several 6-4, 5-5, 4-6, 3-7 teams making the playoffs. Heck, there has even been some 1-9 teams make the playoffs. What is the point of having those teams in the post season? There is NO CHANCE those teams will win State, much less get past the 2nd round. They usually don't get past the 1st round.

Cut it down to two teams. Have one team per division. If I were making the rules, I would add three more classifications, having up to 10A. That would be one sixman and nine 11 man classes. Then have two playoff teams per class, no divisions. No district champs would ever face each other in the first round, and every team would be very good. You'd have very good games in every round.

Texas

Trinity beat Plano West 49-31. It was not that close.

Next week Trinity plays the Panthers of MOJO, Odessa Permian of Friday Night Lights fame,game is on Friday at 1800 at Trinity's home stadium, Pennington Field. Game will be broadcast on 97 GOLD (96.9 FM) of Odessa. You can find it on the Tune In radio app.

Razorback Red

Good luck tonight Trinity.  Would like to see a win and a meeting with Allen next week. 

OPoraquê

Trinity 42-15 over Permian.  Texas, glad you all didn't play Bennie this season; it would have made the Shiloh Christian game look like a nailbiter.  (BTW, the Shiloh QB you saw is in the DII playoffs with his 10-0 (best record in school history) Ouachita Baptist U team tomorrow.)

KC Rockhurst in the sc game tomorrow.  Bergen Catholic lost in the NJ private school semis last week.  Broken Arrow went out in the first round of the playoffs; worst in years for them.

Blast from the past: still impressed with the '10 Bennie undefeated football team.  Two QBs they faced (Brandon Allen and Drew Hare of FZ West, QB of 10-2 Northern Illinois) are on bowl eligible teams.  That team may never get the credit for accomplishing as much as they did, but we've got the memories.

Fayetteville will be on fire this Saturday.  Sounds like BHS lost another player tonight. :(

Texas

Trinity plays Allen on Saturday at UNT' Apogee Stadium. Game time is 2PM. Quarter-Finals (round 4 of 6). You can listen here ----> http://www.championsportsradio.com/teams/trinity-trojans/

It should be a real nail biter. I am not overly confident Trinity WILL win, but I am confident they CAN win. I think Trinity has the best chance to beat Allen of any team left. Also, they match up well. Trinity is the last team Allen lost to in the playoffs.

Texas

Trinity lost to Allen in a close game.

Now Coach Lineweaver is retiring. I am bummed out big time, but happy for him.

Now we search for a new HC. I wonder if Lunney would be interested. Meh, probably not. Oh well.

More on Lineweaver later.

ricepig

I enjoy watching the finals on FoxSW this time of year, usually some decent athletes out there.

ramseyhog

Quote from: Texas on December 19, 2014, 11:21:44 am
Trinity lost to Allen in a close game.

Now Coach Lineweaver is retiring. I am bummed out big time, but happy for him.

Now we search for a new HC. I wonder if Lunney would be interested. Meh, probably not. Oh well.

More on Lineweaver later.

From an Allen fan i felt bummed when i read he was retiring ... Great Coach Great Person.
Watched several Allen-Trinity games and have great respect for coach Lineweaver.
Trinity will ok and will get good coach.

OPoraquê

Razorback Red,

After last night's UA/UT game, it's fascinating to me that Bennie 2010 (or just "2010", as Coach Lunney, Sr. calls them) beat both Brandon Allen/Fayetteville (twice) and Fort Zumwalt West and their QB Drew Hare (now at NIU).  UA finished 7-6 and outscores Ole Miss/LSU/Texas by a combined score of something like 78-7.  NIU finished 11-3, MAC bowl champion with Hare earning MVP honors in that bowl.  Both Allen and Hare passed for 20 TDs or more this season.  Given that Bennie lost their starting QB essentially twice during the undefeated 13-0 season (with intense competition beside Fay and FZW that year) I'm trying to determine whether Lunney, Sr. did a better coaching job that season or this one.

Reason to celebrate, regardless.  ;)

spurrr

Lunney is a good coach. As someone pointed out earlier in the year this was probably his most talented team (considering D1 offers) and he hAs had an abundance of talent to work with at bentonville through the years. Once the school splits we will find out how good he really is if he stays.

Baitshop

Barry won't stay as the Head Coach....they may give him another job in the athletic department, but he won't be a Head Coach in a split school town again....

His words, not mine...

Spaulding

Quote from: spurrr on December 31, 2014, 04:42:22 am
Lunney is a good coach. As someone pointed out earlier in the year this was probably his most talented team (considering D1 offers) and he hAs had an abundance of talent to work with at bentonville through the years. Once the school splits we will find out how good he really is if he stays.

I have not been on here for a while, however, this is nuts...  This was perhaps the least talented team he has had in in the last 3, 4, 5 years....  Who are the D1 offers?  if he has enough years in to retire and if he wishes, great.  He was a great asset to my kids high school life.  I believe if Coach L could take your players, he could beat his, and vice versa.  He is a great asset.....

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Spaulding on January 08, 2015, 04:11:38 pm

I have not been on here for a while, however, this is nuts...  This was perhaps the least talented team he has had in in the last 3, 4, 5 years....  Who are the D1 offers?  if he has enough years in to retire and if he wishes, great.  He was a great asset to my kids high school life.  I believe if Coach L could take your players, he could beat his, and vice versa.  He is a great asset.....
D1 offers are Harrison Rooney (Army), Ean Pfeifer (Vanderbilt), Mitch Williams (Air Force), Hekili Keliiliki (Stanford), Bennett Moehring (undecided, choosing between three schools), Javier Carbonell (Arkansas State) and Dylan Smith (undecided, but offers are there). Cody Scroggins could have received offers had he not signed with Arkansas for baseball, and Kasey Ford has already been offered by Louisville.

spurrr

Spaulding
I never said it was his most talented teams, That was coming from some of the Bennie fans pre season and it was based off of offers.Now the offer list was posted so do you think he had great talent? 

TigerHawg

He even eluded to that in his post game meeting with the boys.  Now I know most coached will always say 'this team is one of the best'. I think in terms of depth this was probably one of the best we have seen in my opinion.

Razorback Red

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on January 08, 2015, 05:35:46 pm
Quote from: Spaulding on January 08, 2015, 04:11:38 pm

D1 offers are Harrison Rooney (Army), Ean Pfeifer (Vanderbilt), Mitch Williams (Air Force), Hekili Keliiliki (Stanford), Bennett Moehring (undecided, choosing between three schools), Javier Carbonell (Arkansas State) and Dylan Smith (undecided, but offers are there). Cody Scroggins could have received offers had he not signed with Arkansas for baseball, and Kasey Ford has already been offered by Louisville.

Any Tyrone Mahone will also be D1.

There was more talent on this team than I've ever seen on a Bville team, but that doesn't mean it was the best overall team.  There were several stars on this team, but there were also some young guys that got to play a lot.  We will never know how much losing Javy for the season would have changed things, but I'm guessing it would have been significant.  The teams that ran the ball well on us this year would not have done so with the big man up front. 

It's tough to compare teams, IMO.  Have I seen a better overall D at Bville, maybe.  Have I seen a better offensive team at Bville, without a doubt, especially missing a tall downfield threat this year.  Put them together and this team was still one of the best.

You can't go back and replay games, but I think anyone that knows football knows that once CBL got the boys playing together (2nd half of NS game), they would have beat SS and KC Rock, and the games against BA and Bergen would have had different outcomes (not saying they would have won them, but they would have been different games).

All that said, a state title is a state title and should be celebrated.  Also proud that KF is the first Tiger QB to win 2 titles. 

spurrr

I spaulding still around? Said my post was nuts? Now that he has had time to review some data just wanted to see what his opinion is?

Spaulding

Quote from: spurrr on January 12, 2015, 05:28:32 pm
I spaulding still around? Said my post was nuts? Now that he has had time to review some data just wanted to see what his opinion is?
Sorry - I have been away.  I still don't think this was his best team and I really think the conference was down (ie Fayetteville).  I am hoping that the increase in D1 offers is sortof twofold - one, hopefully, the team is getting more recognition, and two, I think Lunney SR. is starting to market the kids a little better.  I love the man, but, I don't think he has historically done a great job at either selling his kids to colleges or been very active in pursuing transfer opportunities.  Fayetteville gets significant upgrades every year via transfers, Bentonville has not (obviously not talking about Malik in bball!).

Bentonville's team in 2011 - or whenever Fay went for 2 to win - was really, really good.  There are many reasons for that lose - including Lunney Jr. and some questionable decisions the night prior to the game by some kids.  The next year, the talent was more equal, but, Fay won as B'ville didn't have much of an offense.  That year, B'ville defense was as good as I have seen in the last 15 years.  Again, not many D1 players, but very many great HS players.

I may be wrong, but, I think Bentonville's talent is somewhat underated in that they could send more than a dozen to D2 schools.  However, many of their kids realize that they are going to college whether they play ball or not.  They know that they are not playing in the NFL and simply decide to go and be a normal college kid.  Again, perhaps I'm wrong.

All that said, I still believe that Lunney Sr. can take his and beat yours and eventually take yours and beat his.  The 3 years my son played for him where perhaps the best part of his high school experience. (and yes, they lost only two games - both in state championships - and I think he would still tell you that).

They had a great year, but, the past teams would not have allowed those first 4 games to happen.  Fayetteville had way more talent (at skill postions) than B'ville this year.  Their QB is really good I beleive.

I apologize for the rambling and I was not attempting to be negative towards your opinion.  Just my observations.  Thanks

spurrr

I agree there are a lot of kids that could play DII ball and D III as well. I think they simply get burned out. For 3 years that is all they have known. Summer, winter, spring and fall!
I really think it is a little too much.

Spaulding

Quote from: spurrr on January 14, 2015, 07:35:48 pm
I agree there are a lot of kids that could play DII ball and D III as well. I think they simply get burned out. For 3 years that is all they have known. Summer, winter, spring and fall!
I really think it is a little too much.
Yep - unless you are really elite, ie O'Grady, KJ Hill, etc.  it's really hard to do both.  And if you are not really elite, then you start getting the coaches egos involved and you truly cannot give your best to each sport.....

One thing I really liked abt Lunney Sr is that he was never a big 7-0n-7 guy.  He thinks it takes away from the D's aggressiveness.  Now, you still need to show up all summer and work out, etc.... We have been fortunate to play both football and baseball.  I don't see how it could work with football and basketball - kids would be so spent to do that I think.  Again, unless they are SEC type kids or the HS programs are not at such lofty levels it's really hard to do.

Texas

FYI -
Euless Trinity will be playing likely pre-season #1 De La Salle in Texas week 1, last weekend of August. My understanding is that it will be broadcast on ESPN something. Probably ESPNU.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/prepcorner/2015/01/25/de-la-salle-announces-2015-football-schedule/

The game has not been officially announced, but it will happen.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Texas on February 03, 2015, 12:39:49 pm
FYI -
Euless Trinity will be playing likely pre-season #1 De La Salle in Texas week 1, last weekend of August. My understanding is that it will be broadcast on ESPN something. Probably ESPNU.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/prepcorner/2015/01/25/de-la-salle-announces-2015-football-schedule/

The game has not been officially announced, but it will happen.

That is huge.  Would like to see Trinity find a way to win it.  Hopefully they will be able to control the lines of scrimmage and make it a smash-mouth game. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas