• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Preview for the Upcoming Arkansas High School Track and Field Season

Started by AT, October 14, 2014, 09:03:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I plan this to be an extensive preview for the Arkansas High School Track and Field teams.

1. Who and what is expected to come back from each team.
2. Counting how many returning points from last year's State Track and Field meet each team has.
3. Use this data together to make a preview of who I think will be the favorites for each classification.

Whatcha think about me doing something like that? 

tdmaker

I like that idea.  Lafayette County will be loaded next year.  They have everything back plus a group of ninth graders that scored almost 300 in jr high district.  JC will still be the favorite tho im sure. 

RATTLER43

TrackGrad

Ashdown has a great coach at the Reigns of the SR. Boys team. The problem is that this team, Could*** challenge Nashville for the district title if some of the athletes from football would come out instead of spending all their time in the weight room. Plus, adding more consistent throwers.

TrackGrad

Also, how would Waldron fair thus being realigned in the 7-4A? Haven't followed them since the days of Chance Tanner.

~WPS~

Nashville has the same problem. If we could get all of what we need out of football offseason and on the track we could possibly win state every year.

TrackGrad

It's a pretty frustrating situation, but the only thing one can do is hope for the best. Anyways, any word on the indoor meet this year? Hoping to get back to having 2 meets.

AT

I'm working on 7A right now. I should have it up sometime this weekend.

jvance

For 3A Genoa Central girls will be loaded and are hungry for a state title just missed it last year. The boys could possibly be a contender for state as well. GC ladies are preparing for a back to back XC state title right now.

Clara Allen

4-3AAA  Lamar girls
Lost two seniors; returning girls have the experience of competing well against bigger schools and are hungry for a conference title.
If my numbers are correct, we are returning 14 girls and not moving freshmen up until after jr hi district. Also anticipating several girls to compete this year who did not last year. We took 6 girls in three events to state last year and had a medalist in the high jump and eighth place in the 4 x 800 relay.  Not immersive in comparison to the likes of Genoa or Mansfield, but this was an accomplishment for us. 
With the realignment of the spring sports conference, we should compete very well for a conference title.
Our strongest events: pole vault, 4x800, 1600, 800, triple jump and long jump.  Looking to put a 4x400 team together to be in the mix as well.

Hogskin

Vilonia just added up times and field events  turned in this pre season they already have enough points to win fourth straight 5A Title. Conversation over for 5A. Who's next?

Loyalfan1

Quote from: TrackGrad on October 22, 2014, 02:30:35 pm
Ashdown has a great coach at the Reigns of the SR. Boys team. The problem is that this team, Could*** challenge Nashville for the district title if some of the athletes from football would come out instead of spending all their time in the weight room. Plus, adding more consistent throwers.
Who is coaching the SR boys?

jvance

The Genoa Central ladies will be stacked this year from sprint's to distance. The only events we will be a little lacking some will be pole vault and high jump. Have the potential of having state champs in 9 events (100h, 300h, 400, shot put, discus, 1600, 3200, 4x100, 4x400). IF everyone stays healthy it COULD be a big year for the lady dragons.

RATTLER43

jvance

That is a big IF. Track and Field as you know is a rollercoaster. Last year we won the 300h, 400m, and 4x4. We got 2nd in 100h, shotput, discus and 3rd in 4x1, and 400m. All but one of those ladies are coming back. Our distance runners are going to be very good as well. So it is possible.

RATTLER43

Very possible.    We should be decent. Lost two great seniors (one is running for UCA) but return some talent.
3 vaulters
5'+ high jumper
16' long jumper
Two throwers over 90'
Two shot putters...
4 sprinters   53.  4x100
                4:29 4x400
16s/48s hurdler plus two other hurdlers
1:02, 1:05 400m
2:39, 2:45, 3 more 800m
4 distance runners including 2-time state silver medalist in 3200m

We need to remain hungry and healthy. Also need to improve in triple jump. 

Cheek

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 09, 2014, 07:53:14 pm
Very possible.    We should be decent. Lost two great seniors (one is running for UCA) but return some talent.
3 vaulters
5'+ high jumper
16' long jumper
Two throwers over 90'
Two shot putters...
4 sprinters   53.  4x100
                4:29 4x400
16s/48s hurdler plus two other hurdlers
1:02, 1:05 400m
2:39, 2:45, 3 more 800m
4 distance runners including 2-time state silver medalist in 3200m

We need to remain hungry and healthy. Also need to improve in triple jump.

Boys or Girls

jvance

It has to be girls because if the times and jumps were boys it would be awful.

RATTLER43

snoopy22

Prescott boys had zero points scored by a senior on last year's state runner-up team at the state meet.  They are all back.

RATTLER43

Quote from: snoopy22 on December 23, 2014, 05:50:40 am
Prescott boys had zero points scored by a senior on last year's state runner-up team at the state meet.  They are all back.

Should be a great season for you guys with all back.

TrackGrad

Quote from: Loyalfan1 on December 08, 2014, 09:05:52 am
Who is coaching the SR boys?

From my knowledge, I believe it's still Turner.

Hoophawg

this is something I don't get.  Track guys should spend a LOT of time in the weightroom

KOJACK

Quote from: jvance on December 08, 2014, 07:02:51 pm
The Genoa Central ladies will be stacked this year from sprint's to distance. The only events we will be a little lacking some will be pole vault and high jump. Have the potential of having state champs in 9 events (100h, 300h, 400, shot put, discus, 1600, 3200, 4x100, 4x400). IF everyone stays healthy it COULD be a big year for the lady dragons.
Do you guys have a new coach?

jvance

This is his (John Murphy) second year. We just an awesome group of talented girls coming through right now. If everyone can stay healthy we should have a really big season. Trying to talk him into getting as many as can to go to the indoor state. I know my daughter is definitely going. Does anyone know the date if the indoor?

~WPS~

DogsWin7

That will be good.   Nashville and DeQueen is always really good along with Magazine. 

Hoophawg

Quote from: jvance on January 07, 2015, 03:33:14 pm
This is his (John Murphy) second year. We just an awesome group of talented girls coming through right now. If everyone can stay healthy we should have a really big season. Trying to talk him into getting as many as can to go to the indoor state. I know my daughter is definitely going. Does anyone know the date if the indoor?
why would you have to talk him into getting kids to go?

Hoophawg

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on January 07, 2015, 04:21:01 pm
That will be good.   Nashville and DeQueen is always really good along with Magazine.
dequeen always amazes me how good they are.  Never have speed but always have good throwers, hurdles, and pole vaulters

jvance

Because the boys coach doesn't want to go. My daughter is for sure going colleges that are looking at her want to see some indoor times and jumps. She has not been able to go before because of basketball. She quit to focus solely on track for her senior year.

RATTLER43

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on January 07, 2015, 04:21:01 pm
That will be good.   Nashville and DeQueen is always really good along with Magazine.  Thank you.  We live for it.  Wish indoor season lasted longer/involved more meets.  Looking forward to a great season. 

TrackGrad

Quote from: Hoophawg on January 07, 2015, 09:17:46 am
this is something I don't get.  Track guys should spend a LOT of time in the weightroom
They should spend some time in the weight room, yes, however not a LOT like you are trying to say. The problem with this though is that the kids only want to workout... nothing else. Those that are spending all their time in the WR could definitely help out on the track.

~WPS~

Sprinters and jumpers should hit the weights 2 times per week. Distance runners not so much other than some core strengthening. Throwers of course almost every day.

Something that I've always thought kills participation and enthusiasm for track is that running is viewed as a way of discipline in all other sports.

AT

Throwers need technique too. Alma has had success in the throws in the past with guys who weigh 160-170 because of technique.

Agree with Ballplayer1 about it's hard to get kids enthusiastic about track because it's discipline in a lot of sports. To be a good distance runner, you have to push yourself to the limit and so do sprinters. Sprinters can do some crazy workouts too.

dragontrackcoach

I agree with you I think Prescott has a big year this year. They have been so consistent at the top each year. They have a very talented group of 10th graders and not to mention some 9th graders that will help out as well.

Hoophawg

Quote from: Ballplayer1 on January 08, 2015, 09:52:23 pm
Sprinters and jumpers should hit the weights 2 times per week. Distance runners not so much other than some core strengthening. Throwers of course almost every day.

Something that I've always thought kills participation and enthusiasm for track is that running is viewed as a way of discipline in all other sports.
totally disagree.  Distance runners should lift as well.  High reps. Weights improve athletes in every sport.  It amazes me the baseball nod basketball coaches who don't lift their kids.

dragontrackcoach

I was a collegiate track athlete and we had a distance runner who had good range all the way from 400 up to 5k

47s 400
1:48 800
3:49 1500
14:20 5k

he was the most cut and ripped guy we had on the team
dont get me wrong he was a gifted runner but he also worked hard in the weight room

I have a rough quote from John Mcdonnell arguably the best distance coach in college history. I read in an article where he said "strength is speed"  so yes I also believe they should lift.   

Hoophawg

Quote from: dragontrackcoach on January 09, 2015, 08:54:25 am
I was a collegiate track athlete and we had a distance runner who had good range all the way from 400 up to 5k

47s 400
1:48 800
3:49 1500
14:20 5k

he was the most cut and ripped guy we had on the team
dont get me wrong he was a gifted runner but he also worked hard in the weight room

I have a rough quote from John Mcdonnell arguably the best distance coach in college history. I read in an article where he said "strength is speed"  so yes I also believe they should lift.
exactly

dragontrackcoach

One main problem I see with the weights is do you as a head track coach have enough man power(assistant coaches) to lift weights and do different workouts. I coach with no assistants so I have my distance runners do the same work as our other guys. The only group that does anything different are the throwers. Those guys do a ton of event specific lifting and twisting and extra olympic lifts that are crucial for success in the throws.

Also some coaches do have success without lifting their distance guys and I believe there is more than one way to skin a cat. However if you are like me and your guys play other sports such as football, basketball, baseball then they should be lifting for those sports anyways so that is my take on that. If you do not share those guys with other sports then you might not have to lift them as much but when other kids ask "why does he not have to lift and I do?" then you have yourself a problem. This is why we all pretty much lift together. Not to mention lifting weights is not scientifically proven to make a runner worse. The energy system you train while lifting will actually help the energy system they use during a race or workout.

Hoophawg

Good points coach.  Do you see basketball and baseball coaches never lift their kids?  This drives me crazy

dragontrackcoach

I do see it, ours lift with the exception of basketball while in season. It is very hard being at a smaller school because the coach has 7th grade jr high and sr high teams and it is near impossible for the athletes to practice and lift with the coach being there because of another game.

I played basketball in High school and it was very hard to lift and when I did it was on y own and not very often. Once season was over hit it hard and tried to maintain through baseball and track. When summer rolled around is where I got the best results.

But I do hear of basketball and baseball not lifting and yes it drives me crazy but I am a weight room fanatic and some people are not. Its hard cause I see all the benefits from a personal standpoint.

RATTLER43

Quote from: TrackGrad on January 08, 2015, 09:24:58 pm
Quote from: Hoophawg on January 07, 2015, 09:17:46 am
Quote from: TrackGrad on October 22, 2014, 02:30:35 pmThe problem is that this ...
They should spend some time in the weight room, yes, however not a LOT like you are trying to say. The problem with this though is that the kids only want to workout... nothing else. Those that are spending all their time in the WR could definitely help out on the track.
Typical for us is 2:20-3:30 on track, 3:30-4:30 field events/technique, 4:30-5:30 weight room although we might rearrange the order. We also work in groups. My throwers get their running in, throw while fresh and warmed up, then lift on many days for example.  Plus throwers only work on track for 35 minutes and devote "extra" time to throws. Vaulters spend much of their sprint workout on runway.  Many examples of differentiated/specialized workouts.  But entire team warms up and stretches together.  We truly have fostered a Team culture rather than as an individual sport.  My kids have bought in. 

RATTLER43

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 08, 2015, 10:42:39 pm
Throwers need technique too. Alma has had success in the throws in the past with guys who weigh 160-170 because of technique. True.  Great throwers at Alma.  Great technique.   Got to put in the time to perfect it. 

Agree with Ballplayer1 about it's hard to get kids enthusiastic about track because it's discipline in a lot of sports. Agreed.  Psychological negative placed upon running by using it as a punishment.  Yet basically every young kid loves racing and running around.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 10, 2015, 12:33:32 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on January 08, 2015, 10:42:39 pm
Throwers need technique too. Alma has had success in the throws in the past with guys who weigh 160-170 because of technique. True.  Great throwers at Alma.  Great technique.   Got to put in the time to perfect it. 

Agree with Ballplayer1 about it's hard to get kids enthusiastic about track because it's discipline in a lot of sports. Agreed.  Psychological negative placed upon running by using it as a punishment.  Yet basically every young kid loves racing and running around.

I agree with you on the throws, weights are important, however you can be very strong and not throw far. Look at the state o Arkansas in general.We have decently strong athletes, good size and athleticism and we rarely have 1 if any 60 foot shot putters, and even more rare are the 180+ discus throwers. I use those numbers because in my  mind that is close to an elite level in high school.

Reps are the most important thing for a young thrower along with drills to correct technique. 

RATTLER43

Multiple reasons for so few elite throwers in Arkansas.   Small pool from which to choose; many with the potential don't partipate in track and field; and most who throw do it for about ten to thirteen weeks a year only.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 12, 2015, 10:12:03 pm
Multiple reasons for so few elite throwers in Arkansas.   Small pool from which to choose; many with the potential don't partipate in track and field; and most who throw do it for about ten to thirteen weeks a year only.

Very True

tdmaker

Lafayette county will be good.  they have finished top 3 for the last four years.  junction is still loaded tho in 2a not mention runner-up gurdon last year.  is this a three team race in 2a boys or are their others expecting to make some noise?

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: tdmaker on January 14, 2015, 10:29:42 am
Lafayette county will be good.  they have finished top 3 for the last four years.  junction is still loaded tho in 2a not mention runner-up gurdon last year.  is this a three team race in 2a boys or are their others expecting to make some noise?

I can vouch for L.C. they will be good, Burks can do just about anything. They have some other good pieces to fit in and spread points around in other events as well. Looks like it will be a 3 man race again tdmaker. Unless someone knows other wise.

Hoophawg

Quote from: dragontrackcoach on January 14, 2015, 11:15:55 am
Quote from: tdmaker on January 14, 2015, 10:29:42 am

I can vouch for L.C. they will be good, Burks can do just about anything. They have some other good pieces to fit in and spread points around in other events as well. Looks like it will be a 3 man race again tdmaker. Unless someone knows other wise.
burks is solid but hasn't improved much since 8th grade.  Sometimes that happens when you have a beard in 8th grade

Fanofsports

Quote from: jvance on January 07, 2015, 03:33:14 pm
She could go to the Arkansas State High School invitational indoor meet this weekend if it isn't too late to sign up.  She can go unattached.  Sign up on www.directathletics.com. My son ran there last year when he found out his school would not go to the one for state in Arkansas and will be going again this year in preparation for the state meet as the school he attends now will be going.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas