• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 10 for 2014

Started by BigMan15, October 11, 2014, 02:40:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

Whats this world coming too???

jr17

TheHardTruth

Quote from: bobcat4real on December 17, 2014, 01:49:17 am
Quote from: TheHardTruth on December 16, 2014, 10:33:14 pm
Paris, with a key starter sidelined with I assume an injury, just knocked off Alma at Alma. I'd say they deserve to be in the top ten now.

Maybe the lesson here is that County Line, and by extension 1A, is pretty dadgum good. And everyone in the 3A needs to stop looking past these 1A teams (I'm looking at you Flippin and Charleston). That Scranton team that beat Charleston went on and took down Lincoln in the finals of that tourney....and they've already lost to 3 different other 1A teams.
Most from Flippin certainly understand the quality of teams in 1A and I don't think that any Flippin poster has said anything about 1A not being good or that we looked past them in any way.   We have certainly acknowledged that Norfork and ICC beat us because they were better than us that night we played early in the season.  Last year, it was Western Grove and Norfork that beat us.  But we have solidly beaten decent teams in 1A as well (Jasper,Alpena,Norfork), and we rightfully take pride in some of those wins.   There is no shame in playing a GOOD 1A school and there is no shame in losing to a GOOD 1A team...Ask Cedar Ridge about the toughness of playing ICC.   Ask Valley Springs about Bay and ICC.   But to compare by transitive properties does not work.

I was just referring to the 3A powers that had lost to 1A schools this year. And it's easy to say that you don't overlook teams, but I find it hard to believe that Paris brought the same intensity against County Line that they did against Alma, or Charleston the same intensity against Scranton that they did against Southside and Van Buren. It's not like anybody lost to Mulberry (no offense Yellowjackets) I just think we need to stop treating it like these huge glaring black-eyes on these teams. I mean, is losing to a good 1A team worse than losing to a mediocre 3A team? I don't think so. Are they "quality losses"? Nah, but Flippin, Paris, and Charleston are all still really good and deserving of top ten nods.

Moonshiner

Quote from: TheHardTruth on December 17, 2014, 08:27:25 am
Paris, with a key starter sidelined with I assume an injury, just knocked off Alma at Alma. I'd say they deserve to be in the top ten now.

Maybe the lesson here is that County Line, and by extension 1A, is pretty dadgum good. And everyone in the 3A needs to stop looking past these 1A teams (I'm looking at you Flippin and Charleston). That Scranton team that beat Charleston went on and took down Lincoln in the finals of that tourney....and they've already lost to 3 different other 1A teams.

+1 cause it's the Hard Truth
Most from Flippin certainly understand the quality of teams in 1A and I don't think that any Flippin poster has said anything about 1A not being good or that we looked past them in any way.   We have certainly acknowledged that Norfork and ICC beat us because they were better than us that night we played early in the season.  Last year, it was Western Grove and Norfork that beat us.  But we have solidly beaten decent teams in 1A as well (Jasper,Alpena,Norfork), and we rightfully take pride in some of those wins.   There is no shame in playing a GOOD 1A school and there is no shame in losing to a GOOD 1A team...Ask Cedar Ridge about the toughness of playing ICC.   Ask Valley Springs about Bay and ICC.   But to compare by transitive properties does not work.

I was just referring to the 3A powers that had lost to 1A schools this year. And it's easy to say that you don't overlook teams, but I find it hard to believe that Paris brought the same intensity against County Line that they did against Alma, or Charleston the same intensity against Scranton that they did against Southside and Van Buren. It's not like anybody lost to Mulberry (no offense Yellowjackets) I just think we need to stop treating it like these huge glaring black-eyes on these teams. I mean, is losing to a good 1A team worse than losing to a mediocre 3A team? I don't think so. Are they "quality losses"? Nah, but Flippin, Paris, and Charleston are all still really good and deserving of top ten nods.

TheGovernor

December 17, 2014, 11:21:49 am #254 Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:30:11 am by TheGovernor
Mayflower is top 10... not top 5. They have beaten BHG and Perryville on conference. Obviously BHG let me down. I had them ranked up there in top 10 with there move ins and new coach in the preseason

Eagle20

Don't give up on BHG.  Don't think you will want to play them come tournament time.

bobcat4real

Quote from: TheHardTruth on December 17, 2014, 08:27:25 am

Agree 100%.   I misunderstood what you were saying originally but turns out we were saying the same thing basically.    There are some good teams in 1A!!   Our area seems to be weaker this year in 3A and there aren't hardly any 2A teams in the north central area....So the 1A provides us with our best competition while football is still going.   We are happy to have that option close to us during that time.

chucktownboys

Remember theses 1A vs 3A games is a bigger deal to the smaller school, just like Paris vs Alma was a bigger deal to Paris. Also a 1A school that's all they do is basketball don't share athletes with football and they start playing a month earlier or more than 3A so they are what a 3A team would be at mid January. The Charleston vs Scranton was without football players who will give the team depth, congrats on some upsets early but when it counts the better team more times than not will come out on top which is usually the better 3A teams.

BigMan15

Osceola lost to corning do they go down or out of the top ten...

doubled

Quote from: BigMan15 on December 18, 2014, 08:02:01 am
I think they should drop from were their at corning is not very good

WPWells

I'd put them in the 8-10 range, remembering that this was an early-season loss and they definitely have a chance to recover

BigMan15

I think id have them around 7 or 8

pioneers

Just from watching Osceola play 3 games you never know what to expect from them. They will have 3-4 minutes and look like a great team then have 3-4 minutes and look like an average team at best. It's still young in their season and they have some good pieces to the puzzle just depends on how well they develop throughout the year.

doubled

Quote from: pioneers on December 18, 2014, 12:12:46 pm
Just from watching Osceola play 3 games you never know what to expect from them. They will have 3-4 minutes and look like a great team then have 3-4 minutes and look like an average team at best. It's still young in their season and they have some good pieces to the puzzle just depends on how well they develop throughout the year.
+1

Hogfan167

If Corning beat them, they are not top 10 unless 3A is weak this year.

RTF

My Top Ten
1. ECS
2. Cedar Ridge
2. MAYFLOWER
5. Mcgehee
6.Charleston
7. Paris
8. Valley Springs
9. Flippin
10. Prescott

WPWells

neds

Quote from: RTF on December 18, 2014, 02:29:30 pm
My Top Ten
1. ECS
2. Cedar Ridge
2. MAYFLOWER
5. Mcgehee
6.Charleston
7. Paris
8. Valley Springs
9. Flippin
10. Prescott

? , nine teams

WPWells

And Mayflower tied for second

jr17

Yeah yeah yeah I like that ;) lol

ISU7

Quote from: BigMan15 on December 18, 2014, 08:02:01 am
RiverCrest 88 Osceola 72 last night @ Osceola.. Colts 2-0 in confs play....

WPWells

Rivercrest is in and Osceola is out IMO

WPWells

From what I understand, Smackover should be in the conversation

501Arkansas

Osceola will have their guard Taylin Miller back. Osceola will be just find after Christmas break

BoxNOne

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 20, 2014, 09:11:32 am

Jonesboro Sun had Rivercrest 3-6 after the Osceola win. I think 3A is off some in Northeast Arkansas.

ISU7

December 21, 2014, 07:55:19 am #275 Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:59:51 am by ISU7
Quote from: 501Arkansas on December 20, 2014, 11:30:43 pm
Osceola will have their guard Taylin Miller back. Osceola will be just find after Christmas break
The Noles will be just fine, coach Gathen will get them together. 8)

ISU7

Quote from: BoxNOne on December 21, 2014, 07:55:13 am
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 20, 2014, 09:11:32 am

Jonesboro Sun had Rivercrest 3-6 after the Osceola win. I think 3A is off some in Northeast Arkansas.
That's about right they played the first 4 games with out #24 Tweet Chew. They are 2-0 in conf play.....

BigMan15

Top Ten updated
1. ECS
2. Cedar Ridge
3. Flippin
4.Charleston
5. Paris
6. Rivercrest
7. Harding
8. West Fork
9. Mayflower
10 Valley

jr17

Mayflower is starting to catch stride and play good basketball. I'd have them above west fork.

jr17

Besides that, that 10 looks pretty good bigman

WPWells

December 21, 2014, 01:04:23 pm #280 Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:07:20 pm by 12th Man CHS
Smackover deserves a spot

And Flippin has more 1A losses than Charleston. Definitely not sold on them yet

And if you're punishing Charleston for their loss to Scranton then you have to punish Paris for two losses to County Line. I know they beat Alma, but Charleston played Van Buren within one point and beat Southside. Keep the same standard for your whole top 10

BigMan15

If i rank them as often as every week it can change quick...i rewarded paris for three good wins roland x2 and Alma...the first loss to County Line was bad but the other one without their post and some other issues but no excuses...if paris was undefeated right now they would be top 2 or 3..with ctown i guess its the what have u done for me lately..with them cancelling the conference game imo makes them look weak or scared..smackover?? Tell me some info..what scares me is the fact that mayflower and BHG had close games with perryville then Ecs just destroys them...there is a clear 1 and 2 imo right now the rest could go either way..

WPWells

I think it's still a clear top 3...and Charleston didn't cancel, they postponed per AAA rules

According to posters, Smackover is playing really well. They play Junction City who's in the top 3 in the 2A tomorrow and that result will tell us a lot more about them

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: BigMan15 on December 21, 2014, 01:42:12 pm
If i rank them as often as every week it can change quick...i rewarded paris for three good wins roland x2 and Alma...the first loss to County Line was bad but the other one without their post and some other issues but no excuses...if paris was undefeated right now they would be top 2 or 3..with ctown i guess its the what have u done for me lately..with them cancelling the conference game imo makes them look weak or scared..smackover?? Tell me some info..what scares me is the fact that mayflower and BHG had close games with perryville then Ecs just destroys them...there is a clear 1 and 2 imo right now the rest could go either way..

Smackover beat crossett 71-64. Then beat Strong 64-42. Elmo Hempstead scored 31 points in the crossett game. They have only had three days of practice since football ended.

BigMan15

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 21, 2014, 01:45:46 pm
I think it's still a clear top 3...and Charleston didn't cancel, they postponed per AAA rules

According to posters, Smackover is playing really well. They play Junction City who's in the top 3 in the 2A tomorrow and that result will tell us a lot more about them
i know what ur saying but why did they think there was a chance to lose to lamar or is there something interior going on..

BigMan15

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 21, 2014, 01:52:46 pm
When is some big competition on the schedule?? Does jordan jones play bball?? What was their record last year?? Who is their starters??

Smackover beat crossett 71-64. Then beat Strong 64-42. Elmo Hempstead scored 31 points in the crossett game. They have only had three days of practice since football ended.

WPWells

Nothing going on...just didn't want to play a game with little practice that has a real effect on their season. We took advantage of the rule. I'm sure we would have played if it had been non-conference, but we had starters that were rusty and just didn't want that to effect our season

BigMan15

I just figured they would toast lamar and danville so i figured they would do those..

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: BigMan15 on December 21, 2014, 02:00:40 pm
When is some big competition on the schedule?? Does jordan jones play bball?? What was their record last year?? Who is their starters??

I cannot remember what their record was last year. But I know they are much improved from last season. Jordan Jones does play. He had 11 points against Crossett, and 17 points against Strong. He can dunk the ball as well. Logan Clark starts, Elmo, Jordan, Dewayne starts(tore his ACL at the championship game).

@CurryLegion

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 21, 2014, 02:33:33 pm
Quote from: BigMan15 on December 21, 2014, 02:00:40 pm

I cannot remember what their record was last year. But I know they are much improved from last season. Jordan Jones does play. He had 11 points against Crossett, and 17 points against Strong. He can dunk the ball as well. Logan Clark starts, Elmo, Jordan, Dewayne starts(tore his ACL at the championship game).
So since he tore his ACL, he is no longer starting, correct?

Proud Buckaroo

I'm not 100% sure it was an ACL tore. I know it was that or torn cartilage. But, that's correct. I'm not sure who takes his spot. Most likely Purifoy.

neds

Quote from: BigMan15 on December 21, 2014, 02:16:08 pm
I just figured they would toast lamar and danville so i figured they would do those..

It sounds like the Cedar Ridge coach will sit starters for a half at a time to get his team better prepared for the season. I like his approach and longer term thinking.
One of the points I admire the most of coach Marsh from ECS is his willingness to play up regardless of time of year. He wants to play the very best competition he can and prepare his team for conference and post season.
A lot of teams 'manage their schedule' and look great on paper until the post season begins.
Sooner or later you find out what you have.

Proud Buckaroo

I think its great to play higher classifications. It prepares you to make long runs in the playoffs.

BigMan15

I agree i wish Paris played some more big games like Bentonville or some little rock schools or even clarksville..

WPWells

Charleston will be in the Coke Classic in about a week. Charleston is easily the smallest school in this tournament. We open with Fort Smith Northside

Already played Fort Smith Southside and Van Buren

Eagle20

Quote from: neds on December 21, 2014, 04:22:40 pm
Quote from: BigMan15 on December 21, 2014, 02:16:08 pm
I admire that also but it is a pretty easy decision when you have that much talent.  Let us see if he does it year after next.  It doesn't do your team any good if  you don't have at least a chance to go .500 against the tough teams.
It sounds like the Cedar Ridge coach will sit starters for a half at a time to get his team better prepared for the season. I like his approach and longer term thinking.
One of the points I admire the most of coach Marsh from ECS is his willingness to play up regardless of time of year. He wants to play the very best competition he can and prepare his team for conference and post season.
A lot of teams 'manage their schedule' and look great on paper until the post season begins.
Sooner or later you find out what you have.

basketballjones

1. Episcopal
2. Cedar Ridge (Huge gap between them and 3-10)
3. Charleston
4. Smackover
5. Rivercrest
6. Paris
7. Flippin
8. Valley
9. Harding (just like valley giving the nod due to coaching)
10. BHG

BigMan15

Not big on smackover unless they beat someone we know...a good three a team...BHG doesnt belong IMO.

basketballjones

Smackover very athletic I think that football success will carry over to the hardwood. Slide Mayflower I for BHG (not as familiar with either of those two just going off of reputation from last season)

WPWells

If Smackover beats JC tonight then I'll have them in about the 6-8 range

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas