• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#1 Alabama at #10 Arkansas - Discussion Thread

Started by RD™, September 19, 2010, 02:08:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

InYoGrill

Quote from: fastdrop on September 26, 2010, 10:44:03 am
I do have a concern about Mallett and it is not about his ability. He looks to me that he does not take a hit very well. He looks like his is in tremendous pain every time he gets sacked or hit.

You will never see me knock Mallett I think he is a great kid....

I really think he is just trying to do a good acting job to get a flag for late hits. Every time they replay it shows light hits and he does his acting overdone job. He seems to be fine the next play and has rarely gets pulled out of the game from that. It doesn't hurt to try and get extra yard penalties if he can convince the refs.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 26, 2010, 04:06:29 pm
I do have a concern about Mallett and it is not about his ability. He looks to me that he does not take a hit very well. He looks like his is in tremendous pain every time he gets sacked or hit.

I really think he is just trying to do a good acting job to get a flag for late hits. Every time they replay it shows light hits and he does his acting overdone job. He seems to be fine the next play and has rarely gets pulled out of the game from that. It doesn't hurt to try and get extra yard penalties if he can convince the refs.

that's pretty much what i was about to say fd.  i think he is trying to win an oscar as well as other awards.

Bob Seger

had we called better plays, we might be talking about a diffferent outcome

fastdrop

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on September 26, 2010, 04:14:24 pm

that's pretty much what i was about to say fd.  i think he is trying to win an oscar as well as other awards.
That makes me feel better. I just thought his 6'7" frame might be a little tall for the licks he is taking.

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

Man, what a tough loss. In reality, the game panned out about like I expected it to. I thought it would be a close game with neither team blowing the other out. We played a really good game, but made some crucial turnovers, but hey, so did Bama. Bama won this game in the trenches, with their O and D-line play and with MI/TR running the ball extremely well in the 2nd half. A strong D and an effective running game is Saban's and Bama's MO.

Mallett's last two INT's were a result of him "pressing" because of the Hog's lack of a running game. He, along with everyone else, knew that the game was riding on his shoulders. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we will not be a consistent, top tier team until we can develop a running game that can take, at least, some pressure off of Mallett.

This bye week will give the team a chance to get over this bitter loss and start concentating on the Aggies. Hey we're 3-1 and ranked #15 and just gave  the #1 team a run for their money.

fastdrop

The game was a learning experience for the Hogs. Bama has played games like yesterday many times over and knew how to close the deal.

The Hogs are getting there... nice game.

InYoGrill

Quote from: fastdrop on September 26, 2010, 04:19:52 pm
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on September 26, 2010, 04:14:24 pm

That makes me feel better. I just thought his 6'7" frame might be a little tall for the licks he is taking.

you are right at 6ft7 is a huge target and plenty to take aim at.

powerlifter90

I think Mallet needs to put on 20 or 30 "quality" pounds.  At 6-6/6-7 he is too thin, he doesn't have the meat on his bones to absorb the pounding he's taking now, let alone in the NFL.  If he was 250ish he'd be better off than he is now, plus he'd get quicker and stronger also.  Right now he reminds me of a colt first getting its legs. 

InYoGrill

Here's my 2 cents on the game and the team. We needed to assert ourselves in the running game and did at times but we are too inconsistent to get the tough yards when we need them. Several costly drop passes by great receivers at crunch time killed some 2nd half drives. Bama coaches out coached us in the 2nd half with their D stunting and confusing Mallett and the O line. D gave up too many 5+ yard runs by two of the best runners in Ingram and Richardson probably because they were on the field too long in the 2nd half. I noticed quite obviously in the 2nd half that we could not pressure the qb very much at all. Kudos to Hocker and finally having a consistent kicker.  Bama is #1 for a reason and we played very good most of the game so a 4 pt loss hopefully will keep us fired up to play smarter and better the rest of  the season!  Go Hogs!!

Texarkana_Piggie

what i wondered yesterday as we kept passing, was how many plays did ryan change at the los?  were running plays called and he changed the call because of the d he saw?  just a thought that crossed my mind.

Excellence_Since_88

Ok here's my two cents; Bobby P had a great gameplan against Bama. It was obvious from the first drive that he knew the defense like the back of his hand and we executed accordingly in the first half. The second half of course adjustments were made on Bama's side and they came out swinging but the defense held them off for the most part. My only complaint is having Broderick Green in the game with a majority of the carries. Yes, he is the biggest back we have but also the softest! He tiptoed through each and every hole waiting for contact to come to him. He was too slow for outside runs and too scared to hit the hole and that cost us in the long run. Did any body see the difference when Wingo came in the game? The D was on the field way too long in the second half just like against Georgia. I also felt like Joe Adams should have been the starting kick off returner instead of the freshman. But hey somebody name the last time a team punched the mighty Tide in the mouth like we did? We are a heck of a football team and if we stay focused it's still possible to win out the rest of the season

hhsbobcats

Quote from: Excellence_Since_88 on September 26, 2010, 08:45:17 pm
Ok here's my two cents; Bobby P had a great gameplan against Bama. It was obvious from the first drive that he knew the defense like the back of his hand and we executed accordingly in the first half. The second half of course adjustments were made on Bama's side and they came out swinging but the defense held them off for the most part. My only complaint is having Broderick Green in the game with a majority of the carries. Yes, he is the biggest back we have but also the softest! He tiptoed through each and every hole waiting for contact to come to him. He was too slow for outside runs and too scared to hit the hole and that cost us in the long run. Did any body see the difference when Wingo came in the game? The D was on the field way too long in the second half just like against Georgia. I also felt like Joe Adams should have been the starting kick off returner instead of the freshman. But hey somebody name the last time a team punched the mighty Tide in the mouth like we did? We are a heck of a football team and if we stay focused it's still possible to win out the rest of the season

Here's to alabama losing a few games and Arkansas reigning supreme in the SEC west, and making it to the SEC title game my friend.

gatecrasher

Could happen. We proved that they can be exploited through the air.

The Infidel

I've always liked Wingo in the backfield. It seems like he scores just about everytime time he runs the wheel route or the screen pass. In the end though I feel like bama's o-line had the most impact on the outcome. That was blocking clinic they gave.

Hoghead

Quote from: fastdrop on September 26, 2010, 04:28:33 pm
The game was a learning experience for the Hogs. Bama has played games like yesterday many times over and knew how to close the deal.

We've been in the SEC way to long to be still on the learning curve ! We've been on the learning curve since about 1969 after the Texas game. Winning BIG Games aint nothing new for Boise St. I know their Conference Sucks. But tell them Alabama is coming to town. They'll beat Bama's Butt !  Just like Utah did ! But I'm tired of the excuses. To kill a snake you cut his head off ! We keep chopping at his tail !!!!

fastdrop

Quote from: Hoghead on September 27, 2010, 07:32:09 am
Quote from: fastdrop on September 26, 2010, 04:28:33 pm

We've been in the SEC way to long to be still on the learning curve ! We've been on the learning curve since about 1969 after the Texas game. Winning BIG Games aint nothing new for Boise St. I know their Conference Sucks. But tell them Alabama is coming to town. They'll beat Bama's Butt !  Just like Utah did ! But I'm tired of the excuses. To kill a snake you cut his head off ! We keep chopping at his tail !!!!
I am glad somebody finally came to the party....

Nice Post.... The only problem is the snake you refer to has two tails and the head is very difficult to find.

Ex-HAplayer

Boise state rush defense isn't that great. I don't see them stopping ingram or richardson. I don't think florida has a chance either. 8)

Hoghead

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on September 27, 2010, 10:39:55 am
Boise state rush defense isn't that great. I don't see them stopping ingram or richardson. I don't think florida has a chance either. 8)
True ! But BAMA DB's aint great and BSU would exploit them easily as Utah did a couple a years ago. In a one game showdown I'll take BSU. The Bronco's might not out "D" you. But they will outscore you !!!! Time for the Hogs to finally start cutting some heads and kicking them back to folks.

Romeo

Joe Adams is going to have to get a cool head. That offsetting penalty call was huge. If he would have not touched him it would have prevented that third down play where Mallett threw that interception. Opposing teams are going to see Adams is a hothead and try to test him. If I was a coach, I would assign someone specifically to try to get under his skin.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Romeo on September 27, 2010, 04:20:02 pm
Joe Adams is going to have to get a cool head. That offsetting penalty call was huge. If he would have not touched him it would have prevented that third down play where Mallett threw that interception. Opposing teams are going to see Adams is a hothead and try to test him. If I was a coach, I would assign someone specifically to try to get under his skin.

Good point. He has shown himself several times in past the few games and it is hurting the team. I noticed a couple other times against GA that he was very aggressive after the play and running that mouth 100miles an hour just begging for another flag. Got to save that uncontrolled energy for extra yards not flags.

Valleysports

We were just one completion away from being all that!
I think our recruiting will be great and will fill those last steps needed.
Mallet will now stay his last year and will have that much more experience.
Because of the way Arkansas plays this season, Arkansas will start off 2011 ranked in the Top 5.
Yeh I'm a new Hog Fan, so let me be positive if I want too!

Hoghead

Quote from: Valleysports on September 27, 2010, 08:15:04 pm
We were just one completion away from being all that!
I think our recruiting will be great and will fill those last steps needed.
Mallet will now stay his last year and will have that much more experience.
Because of the way Arkansas plays this season, Arkansas will start off 2011 ranked in the Top 5.
Yeh I'm a new Hog Fan, so let me be positive if I want too!
I think Mallett should stay as well. The money will be there in the NFL if he stays. Someone will show him pictures of BUFFALO, NEW YORK in the winter time and he'll sit this NFL draft out.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 27, 2010, 06:53:39 pm

Good point. He has shown himself several times in past the few games and it is hurting the team. I noticed a couple other times against GA that he was very aggressive after the play and running that mouth 100miles an hour just begging for another flag. Got to save that uncontrolled energy for extra yards not flags.
In his defense, that UGA player was standing over him flexing after he got hit out of bounds. Joe pushed the guy out of the way to get up and got flagged. For the most part, the Hogs have been on the short end of the stick against most of the "big dogs" in the SEC. It has been that way ever since we have joined the SEC.

It doesn't matter, and since you guys have seen my previous posts on this game clearly know I don't feel it was why we lost, but there were at least 8 holding/block in the back penalties not called on Alabama in that game. Mark Ingram tackled one of our linebackers that blitzed in when we picked off McElroy in the endzone. Luckily he held him because McElroy would have been sacked and we wouldn't have got the interception. However, it wasn't the only time that our guy was bear hugged and brought to the ground by Alabama.

Wahls

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 27, 2010, 08:51:23 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on September 27, 2010, 06:53:39 pm

In his defense, that UGA player was standing over him flexing after he got hit out of bounds. Joe pushed the guy out of the way to get up and got flagged. For the most part, the Hogs have been on the short end of the stick against most of the "big dogs" in the SEC. It has been that way ever since we have joined the SEC.

It doesn't matter, and since you guys have seen my previous posts on this game clearly know I don't feel it was why we lost, but there were at least 8 holding/block in the back penalties not called on Alabama in that game. Mark Ingram tackled one of our linebackers that blitzed in when we picked off McElroy in the endzone. Luckily he held him because McElroy would have been sacked and we wouldn't have got the interception. However, it wasn't the only time that our guy was bear hugged and brought to the ground by Alabama.

This.

HA_Fan

September 27, 2010, 10:28:25 pm #324 Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:34:06 pm by HA_Fan™

WBF †

How do y'all feel about Mallett running up and down the field in pregame with Brandon Mitchell playing "catch" like me and my buds would in the back yard? Punting the ball? Running routes? Running through Alabama's kickers and punters?

Seemed odd to me. Never expected it.

Wahls

Quote from: WBF † on September 28, 2010, 12:45:28 pm
How do y'all feel about Mallett running up and down the field in pregame with Brandon Mitchell playing "catch" like me and my buds would in the back yard? Punting the ball? Running routes? Running through Alabama's kickers and punters?

Seemed odd to me. Never expected it.

Mallett being Mallett?

Gotta stay loose some how and break the monotony. I don't find anything wrong with that.

cotnhauler

I now have an XM radio in the truck I drive, got in on a call-in show Monday. Not familiar enough with it yet to know who it was, but people from Alabama were calling in and MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOODNESS!!!  I've been a little embarrassed before listening to some local shows in Arkansas, but I was blown away.  I had no clue that the cast of Deliverance was still alive. It was unbelievable. Let me just repeat MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOODNESS!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas