• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marion Open

Started by Sporty, April 18, 2018, 08:31:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sporty

Davis took Asst principal job at Prarie Grove

Iknewthemwhen

Redwolves8526

Iknewthemwhen

WTD

Derrek Harrell, but pretty much the superintendent is in charge.

ClutchFactor62

I've heard the Supt is making all sports related decisions without any say from any other administrators. Not real sure how that is going to play out. In baseball, basketball, and football, he will have had 5 different head coaches in those sports in only his 2nd or 3rd year.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Coach Davis is a really good coach, but more than that, he was probably one of the best in the business at influencing young men to be great citizens, husbands, and fathers.  He took a lot of what Peacock used to do and turned it up a couple of notches.  I hope he finds a way to do continue to do that as an administrator.

WTD

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on April 18, 2018, 11:25:25 am
I've heard the Supt is making all sports related decisions without any say from any other administrators. Not real sure how that is going to play out. In baseball, basketball, and football, he will have had 5 different head coaches in those sports in only his 2nd or 3rd year.

Pretty accurate.

WTD

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on April 18, 2018, 11:31:15 am
Coach Davis is a really good coach, but more than that, he was probably one of the best in the business at influencing young men to be great citizens, husbands, and fathers.  He took a lot of what Peacock used to do and turned it up a couple of notches.  I hope he finds a way to do continue to do that as an administrator.

Well said!

ClutchFactor62

Quote from: WTD on April 18, 2018, 11:48:13 am
Well said!

You seem to be in the know. Have any idea who the Supt has in mind?

OB11

From what I've heard, the Supt's expectations are extremely high for the coaches there.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: OB11 on April 18, 2018, 01:28:08 pm
From what I've heard, the Supt's expectations are extremely high for the coaches there.

Is that a bad thing?

OB11

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 18, 2018, 02:28:33 pm
Is that a bad thing?

Eh...I probably should have put unrealistic in front of expectations. Telling coaches they have to win a certain number of games and beat specific teams at the high school level is not good practice IMO.

Iknewthemwhen

Wow!  You sure he did that?  Sounds like he must have done it to all the head coaches from the post about replacing all the HC's in first few years.

ricepig

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 18, 2018, 02:28:33 pm
Is that a bad thing?

It is if you're Marion. They struggle to compete against the better teams on their schedule, it wouldn't matter who the head coaches were, they just don't have the Jimmy's and Joe's in large enough numbers

Iknewthemwhen

There seems to be a lot of schools out there that never really win much.  In those cases does losing just become acceptable?

Sporty

This is actually Dr. Fenter's first year. Changed baseball and baskeball coaches first month he was there last July. Nothing wrong with high expectations but like yall said, may be unrealistic with the level of talent in Marion. They don't pay coaches very good so idk how they will get or keep good coaches, they have some great assistants that will probably leave as well.
Ditto on Davis building kids of great character.

Pat Swilling

How were JV/JH Marion kids last fall?

ClutchFactor62

Quote from: Pat Swilling on April 19, 2018, 08:29:40 am
How were JV/JH Marion kids last fall?

They were good. The high school team was extremely young last year. The next couple of years will be the most talented Marion has been in a while. They've also been pretty competitive the past 3 years against the better teams in the conference

Pat Swilling

Good.  I'm sure they will be able to bring in a quality coach.

Sporty

Marion usually goes undefeated in Jr. High because there is only one team. If you look at West Memphis-3 jr highs- Jonesboro-2 Jr highs the talent is spread over more teams but means kids with alot more experience when they get to one high school. Marion needs 2 Jr high teams to develop talent to compete.

OB11

Quote from: Sporty on April 19, 2018, 08:51:27 am
Marion usually goes undefeated in Jr. High because there is only one team. If you look at West Memphis-3 jr highs- Jonesboro-2 Jr highs the talent is spread over more teams but means kids with alot more experience when they get to one high school. Marion needs 2 Jr high teams to develop talent to compete.

Agreed.

Made

Their JH has been pretty good but year before lost to a West Memphis school and a Jonesboro school the year before that. How did they finish this year?

OB11

Quote from: Made on April 19, 2018, 12:21:10 pm
Their JH has been pretty good but year before lost to a West Memphis school and a Jonesboro school the year before that. How did they finish this year?

Their Jr. High has been really good. I think they've won or shared that conference the last two years. But the issue is that they are only getting half the kids playing experience compared to the Jonesboro district, and a third the kids as West Memphis because they only have one Jr. High. Having more Jr. High teams would give players more experience and in theory making their high school program better.

ricepig

Quote from: Sporty on April 19, 2018, 08:28:05 am
This is actually Dr. Fenter's first year. Changed baseball and baskeball coaches first month he was there last July. Nothing wrong with high expectations but like yall said, may be unrealistic with the level of talent in Marion. They don't pay coaches very good so idk how they will get or keep good coaches, they have some great assistants that will probably leave as well.
Ditto on Davis building kids of great character.

I didn't realize Fenter was the Sup, now. He sure has moved around the last few years. I agree, you can't change out coaches after every few seasons. Now, they had some that had been there for awhile that needed to move on, and they did. I don't know about these recent coaches leaving, seems peculiar.

whosyourdaddy

April 19, 2018, 09:41:15 pm #25 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:43:26 pm by whosyourdaddy
Fenter is in charge without question and yes the expectations are unrealistic. They talent doesnt match those expectations. Marion has 3 losses before the season starta. They will never beat WM, Jboro or PB and have to have to play really good to beat Searcy.  The othsr conference gamea are 50/50. Non conference they wont beat wynne consistanly if at all. So .500 is a good season but wont fly with admin.

Something is going on there, I heard the basketball coach quit today after 1 yr....

ClutchFactor62

April 20, 2018, 08:36:23 am #26 Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:37:54 am by ClutchFactor62
Quote from: whosyourdaddy on April 19, 2018, 09:41:15 pm
Fenter is in charge without question and yes the expectations are unrealistic. They talent doesnt match those expectations. Marion has 3 losses before the season starta. They will never beat WM, Jboro or PB and have to have to play really good to beat Searcy.  The othsr conference gamea are 50/50. Non conference they wont beat wynne consistanly if at all. So .500 is a good season but wont fly with admin.

Something is going on there, I heard the basketball coach quit today after 1 yr....

They beat Jonesboro last year, and have had very competitive games with WM and PB the last few years. They have hosted playoff games in consecutive years for one of the few times in school history. So they have had some decent recent success

ricepig

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on April 20, 2018, 08:36:23 am
They beat Jonesboro last year, and have had very competitive games with WM and PB the last few years. They have hosted playoff games in consecutive years for one of the few times in school history. So they have had some decent recent success

You have to beat MH, Hall, and Jax in the standings to host a playoff game, again, not that hard. Marion has some good athletes, just not the numbers in every sport to be competitive at the top. I think they are trending back up, but changing coaches this often does seem, different??

Kraig Crist

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2018, 09:30:57 am
You have to beat MH, Hall Sylvan Hills, and Jax in the standings to host a playoff game, again, not that hard. Marion has some good athletes, just not the numbers in every sport to be competitive at the top. I think they are trending back up, but changing coaches this often does seem, different??

I think it got a little harder trading Hall for Sylvan Hills.

zebrafan

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on April 20, 2018, 08:36:23 am
They played us real close two years ago, last year not so much  42-13.

ricepig

Quote from: Kraig Crist on April 20, 2018, 06:26:17 pm
I think it got a little harder trading Hall for Sylvan Hills.

I was speaking about their previous "home play-off games", but yes, Sylvan Hills will be much tougher than Hall.

Pat Swilling

timetable on this hire?

w ballers

Any Names yet on who put in for it

OB11

Marion's DC just left to be the Head Coach at West Fork.

ClutchFactor62

Quote from: OB11 on April 23, 2018, 11:53:59 am
Marion's DC just left to be the Head Coach at West Fork.

Heard from others that know that staff say he's a great coach. Apparently long over due for a head job. Ive heard there are some other good assistants on that staff. Hopefully this move doesn't affect them negatively.

Does anyone know who is being interviewed yet? Will interviews start this week?

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Pat Swilling on April 23, 2018, 09:00:31 am
timetable on this hire?

I'd like to know this as well. You'd think they would like to have a new coach by the time spring ball starts.

whosyourdaddy

I heard they hope to have someone hired by the end of next week. Also heard that Fenter is conducting the interviews himself with and asst sup, AD and high school principal.

Pat Swilling

Could be a good job with right guy in place. 

Iknewthemwhen

From 05 to 11 they won 49 games and that seems to be the best they have ever been.  Who have been the coaches over the past 20 years? 

WTD

2006 (Jerry Franklin), 2010, and 2011 (Trey Franklin) were their best years under Mark Uhiren. Uhiren had back to back seasons 2-8 and the program was barely functional. Coach Davis got there and there were maybe 20 kids in off-season in April of 2014. Numbers shot up to in the 60's, 70's and 80's just not the athletes that were there in 2011 and prior. Coach Davis has done the best they could've done with what they had. His quarterback his first two seasons had never even played football till his junior year and by the time is senior season was over he had thrown for over 2,500 yards. Their starting QB, Jacob Green gets hurt the next year in their first game against Wynne and their backup QB threw for over 2,000 yards that season. People have high expectations and that's great, but you also have to be realistic.

Iknewthemwhen

So it sounds like things fell off at the end of the Uhiren era.  Was the roster during the season that low or just off season wasn't doing well.  Surely they didn't only have 20 kids on the sidelines during the season.

WTD

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 24, 2018, 02:08:18 pm
So it sounds like things fell off at the end of the Uhiren era.  Was the roster during the season that low or just off season wasn't doing well.  Surely they didn't only have 20 kids on the sidelines during the season.

There were close to 40 on the roster I believe Uhiren's last year. There was a lot of uncertainty going on with the program until Coach Davis was hired. Number's got into the 60's very shortly after. Whoever they hire shouldn't have a problem with numbers unless they bring the diamond t or full house backfield back. 

game on

I'd bet if they can win it will not make much difference what they run.  Score points and stop their opponent.

purpleswag

Quote from: game on on April 24, 2018, 02:28:37 pm
I'd bet if they can win it will not make much difference what they run.  Score points and stop their opponent.

It's funny how winning does that

Redwolves8526

Quote from: purpleswag on April 25, 2018, 05:03:23 am
It's funny how winning does that

Just don't think you'll find long term success running a wing, diamond, or dead T playing in the 6A East with the type of athletes Marion has. They definitely have speed, but I don't see them lining up and running over Pine Bluff, West Memphis, or Jonesboro with fullback dive or veer all game.

ClutchFactor62

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 25, 2018, 08:44:46 am
Just don't think you'll find long term success running a wing, diamond, or dead T playing in the 6A East with the type of athletes Marion has. They definitely have speed, but I don't see them lining up and running over Pine Bluff, West Memphis, or Jonesboro with fullback dive or veer all game.

100% agree

Pat Swilling

Who will lead Marion through spring ball?

HogWild25

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 25, 2018, 08:44:46 am
It's quite obvious the spread hasn't been working at Marion either, if running the spread is your answer for Marion then why have they been doing so poorly?? Some people fail to realize that option teams do not require a huge O-line, you have to be tough and quick to get up to the second level and hold a block long enough for the RB to make a play, slow fat linemen just get in the way. Look at Harding they have been doing some damage in division II football, look at Navy and Georgia Tech, they also don't have big linemen GT is always in the hunt in the ACC, Surely Marion has linemen like that that can match up at the high school level, and i'm sure they have speed on the edge which could be lethal running an option attack offense, especially since their conference teams aren't used to preparing for a team like that. Hard to prepare for that offense in just 4 days.

ClutchFactor62

April 25, 2018, 10:27:16 am #48 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:29:44 am by ClutchFactor62
Quote from: HogWild25 on April 25, 2018, 10:24:07 am
It's quite obvious the spread hasn't been working at Marion either, if running the spread is your answer for Marion then why have they been doing so poorly?? Some people fail to realize that option teams do not require a huge O-line, you have to be tough and quick to get up to the second level and hold a block long enough for the RB to make a play, slow fat linemen just get in the way. Look at Harding they have been doing some damage in division II football, look at Navy and Georgia Tech, they also don't have big linemen GT is always in the hunt in the ACC, Surely Marion has linemen like that that can match up at the high school level, and i'm sure they have speed on the edge which could be lethal running an option attack offense, especially since their conference teams aren't used to preparing for a team like that. Hard to prepare for that offense in just 4 days.

They have averaged almost 34 per game the past three seasons running the spread... according to MaxPreps. And I'm pretty sure Mountain Home runs some sort of T formation in that conference and have been for years.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Pat Swilling on April 25, 2018, 09:48:10 am
Who will lead Marion through spring ball?

Probably the 3 defensive coaches that are left, along with the OC and O-Line coach.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas