• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Outlook

Started by DerekOxford, December 01, 2015, 01:14:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 11:18:34 am
Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 11:01:22 am
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 10:42:58 am
Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2016, 07:19:03 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on January 25, 2016, 06:45:32 pm
For 160 million, I figured it would be bowled in. I'm not really impressed with that design.

The lower deck will be bowled in, they never had any plans to do the top deck. There will be standing room areas(cheap) on the top. Also, the east end will have a clear glass so you can look into the stadium like you can now from the north end of Stadium Dr. I was surprised at the price tag too, I believe when they put out the Master plan for improvements in 2013 it was estimated to cost $100m. This is for suites, club level, and loge seating. They are planning to lower the upper deck prices, from my understanding.

They can lower the upper deck prices all they want, they still won't be filled on a regular basis.

Because??

They never have been, people don't want to sit in the corners of the upper deck unless it's Bama or maybe LSU. The tickets being $10 cheaper or whatever isn't going to fix that.

I'm all for cheaper tickets but I think it will have little effect on butts in the seats.

Were you at the Texas Tech game this year, completely full. There's been lots of games completely full, so I don't agree with you. Now, you do know the NE corner is for the visiting team, they turn back these tickets 10 days from kickoff. Sometimes they sell, sometimes they don't. The SE upper deck corner is now student overflow seats, no doubt it needs to be full. They sell 9800 student access passes, about 8000 can sit in the lower area, leaving 1800 for the three sections they have in the SE corner. The west side is almost always full, maybe 600-900 short.

SUGARTOWN

No I wasn't at the Texas Tech game, I was however at the Miss St. game and the corners weren't filled then. And now we're adding 8000 seats? No doubt it will look great, but I just hate seeing sections mostly empty on TV.

Maybe we can get 10k more fans for every game, but I doubt it.

AirWarren

I honestly don't think it will either. 10$ cheaper isn't going to fill the seats.

I think it's great for the university, but I don't think what they are planning is really great.

ricepig

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 12:10:10 pm
No I wasn't at the Texas Tech game, I was however at the Miss St. game and the corners weren't filled then. And now we're adding 8000 seats? No doubt it will look great, but I just hate seeing sections mostly empty on TV.

We are adding 3049 seats as it is drawn up today. 2297 Club seats, 32 suites(384 seats) and 92 4 seat Loge boxes. There is demand for everyone of these seats. They will pre-sell all of these, I'm betting. If you don't like the way it looks on TV, get your butt in one of those empties.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 12:17:32 pm
I honestly don't think it will either. 10$ cheaper isn't going to fill the seats.

I think it's great for the university, but I don't think what they are planning is really great.

They weren't counting on your approval, lol. Everyone knows winning helps, so, hopefully we keep improving.

AirWarren

Hey, I'm not one of those "well I'm a season ticket holder/alumni so I have a right to acknowledge, praise, or B****" guys. I agree with that.

I'm concerned about winning. Not what the stadium looks like. You can spray perfume on a pile of dung but guess what, it's still dung.

:D

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 12:29:59 pm
Hey, I'm not one of those "well I'm a season ticket holder/alumni so I have a right to acknowledge, praise, or B****" guys. I agree with that.

I'm concerned about winning. Not what the stadium looks like. You can spray perfume on a pile of dung but guess what, it's still dung.

Yeah, but it smells better! I'm sure you're reminded of that often, you know, courtesy flush!!!

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 12:21:30 pm

We are adding 3049 seats as it is drawn up today. 2297 Club seats, 32 suites(384 seats) and 92 4 seat Loge boxes. There is demand for everyone of these seats. They will pre-sell all of these, I'm betting. If you don't like the way it looks on TV, get your butt in one of those empties.

I went to EVERY home game for 20 years, now I can only make it to the LR game and a couple games a year in Fayetteville. There are over 500K in NWA, if they can't fill a 72,000 stadium on a regular basis I just can't see how adding seats will help.

I guess maybe the added revenue from the club seats will be worth it in the long run (minus the $160 mil building cost).

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 12:39:40 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 12:29:59 pm

Yeah, but it smells better! I'm sure you're reminded of that often, you know, courtesy flush!!!

I suppose. Ha.

ricepig

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 12:48:16 pm

I went to EVERY home game for 20 years, now I can only make it to the LR game and a couple games a year in Fayetteville. There are over 500K in NWA, if they can't fill a 72,000 stadium on a regular basis I just can't see how adding seats will help.

I guess maybe the added revenue from the club seats will be worth it in the long run (minus the $160 mil building cost).

The added seats will be revenue producers, after they pay off the bond. They are adding seats that there is a waiting list for, so it should work. They didn't sell out the 51,000 seat stadium before they increased it to 72,000, but look at it now. We averaged 70,281 last season, it will be better this year with the schedule.

Jacketman65

Maybe the cheaper seats are for the central Ar. folks that won't fill War Memorial!  Heard that they are going to have standing room only areas as well!  More empty space.

ricepig

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 26, 2016, 01:40:57 pm
Maybe the cheaper seats are for the central Ar. folks that won't fill War Memorial!  Heard that they are going to have standing room only areas as well!  More empty space.

Yeah, I didn't realize all those cars I pass on the drive up to games were actually NWA residents who had been to LR and NEA......

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 01:27:47 pm

The added seats will be revenue producers, after they pay off the bond. They are adding seats that there is a waiting list for, so it should work. They didn't sell out the 51,000 seat stadium before they increased it to 72,000, but look at it now. We averaged 70,281 last season, it will be better this year with the schedule.

We actually averaged 67,236, but yes the SEC home schedule is better next year.

I still think we should get out of the A&M contract with JerryWorld and play home and home. We're giving up an extra home game every other year and are consistently outnumbered in Dallas by Aggie fans. There's not much to gain by playing them there IMO.

WPWells

The last couple years I've gone to Dallas and it's looked even to me

ricepig

January 26, 2016, 02:29:35 pm #114 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:31:33 pm by ricepig
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 02:09:59 pm

I still think we should get out of the A&M contract with JerryWorld and play home and home. We're giving up an extra home game every other year and are consistently outnumbered in Dallas by Aggie fans. There's not much to gain by playing them there IMO.

I was talking about RRS attendance.

67708-UTEP
73334-Tech
72008-Auburn
64206-UTM
71936-MSU
72496-Mizzou

In Dallas we've had as many, and had more the first few years of it. Have you been?

bdubyab60

If you build it they will come, supposedly lol. A decent looking recruiting class and considering that other schools are 80000 plus at least, we need to try and compete with them. Agree the 160mil price tag looks a little high for what's  being done though. Maybe get another quote on it lol

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 02:29:35 pm

67708-UTEP
73334-Tech
72008-Auburn
64206-UTM
71936-MSU
72496-Mizzou

In Dallas we've had as many, and had more the first few years of it. Have you been?

Since we've went back there the last 2 years they've had a few more. I was there 2 years ago.

One of the big "complaints" about the LR games is how we lose out on a recruiting weekend. Which really isn't that big of a deal since not too many recruits are taking visits for a crappy non-conference game in September. However, an SEC game against A&M WOULD be a good recruiting weekend. And we're giving it up to play in Dallas...

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 26, 2016, 02:40:59 pm
If you build it they will come, supposedly lol. A decent looking recruiting class and considering that other schools are 80000 plus at least, we need to try and compete with them. Agree the 160mil price tag looks a little high for what's  being done though. Maybe get another quote on it lol

In the proposal that is going before the trustees tomorrow, that $160m has a fudge factor of $19m built in for "whoops".

ricepig

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 02:47:50 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 02:29:35 pm

67708-UTEP
73334-Tech
72008-Auburn
64206-UTM
71936-MSU
72496-Mizzou

Since we've went back there the last 2 years they've had a few more. I was there 2 years ago.

One of the big "complaints" about the LR games is how we lose out on a recruiting weekend. Which really isn't that big of a deal since not too many recruits are taking visits for a crappy non-conference game in September. However, an SEC game against A&M WOULD be a good recruiting weekend. And we're giving it up to play in Dallas...

Truthfully, we don't want 8 home games in Fayetteville. We use the Dallas game as both an athletic and academic recruiting stage, plus Jerry pays us 3 times what we make in LR. We can get the Texas kids tickets to the game, and it's easier for them to see us there, than in Fayetteville. We don't host too many official visits in Sept, so we aren't losing much in recruiting by playing there. In the future, look for us to play in games in Houston, Jacksonville, Atlanta, or some other pro stadium for a kickoff game.

SUGARTOWN

For a "kickoff" game that's fine, not a conference game though. Sure, you can give the Texas kids tickets but it's always better for them to see the campus and facilities. Plus we're playing in Fort Worth this year anyway and could be playing in College Station every other year. That's more than enough exposure in Texas.

And I'm not comparing it to a LR game, those games are gone in a couple years, I'm comparing it to a home game in Fayetteville. A game on campus at DWRRS in a better showcase to recruits than a game at Dallas.

AirWarren

Personally who cares about playing in a nice facility during the season. A nice facility like Jerry's world. We should be aiming to play in those kinds of places during the bowl season. That's the problem I have with the TAMU series.

ricepig

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 26, 2016, 03:16:23 pm
For a "kickoff" game that's fine, not a conference game though. Sure, you can give the Texas kids tickets but it's always better for them to see the campus and facilities. Plus we're playing in Fort Worth this year anyway and could be playing in College Station every other year. That's more than enough exposure in Texas.

And I'm not comparing it to a LR game, those games are gone in a couple years, I'm comparing it to a home game in Fayetteville. A game on campus at DWRRS in a better showcase to recruits than a game at Dallas.

They can do both, see us in Dallas, and come up to a later game, then take their official visit in January. It's pretty hard for a Katy or Beaumont kid to play Friday night and make it to Fayetteville for a 3:00 kickoff. It's a whole lot easier to make it to Dallas. Playing in AT+T Stadium is part of our recruiting push, the coaches like to use it as a recruiting angle. Like I said, it's both for athletic and academic recruiting.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 03:19:33 pm
Personally who cares about playing in a nice facility during the season. A nice facility like Jerry's world. We should be aiming to play in those kinds of places during the bowl season. That's the problem I have with the TAMU series.

The players care, it's a big hit in recruiting.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 04:05:27 pm

It apparently isn't. We lose out on a lot of recruits that "are supposed to be coming to Fayetteville" every year. If we were landing blue chips year after year from Dallas and in Texas by the butt load, I would say it helps in recruiting. But it doesn't.

AirWarren

I see you are "shoe shining" hard on hogville, rice ha.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 04:12:33 pm

It apparently isn't. We lose out on a lot of recruits that "are supposed to be coming to Fayetteville" every year. If we were landing blue chips year after year from Dallas and in Texas by the butt load, I would say it helps in recruiting. But it doesn't.

#3 RB in the nation says Hi! And we aren't done, yet either. It really doesn't matter what you or I think, the coaching staff obviously thinks it's worth it.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 04:18:02 pm
I see you are "shoe shining" hard on hogville, rice ha.

I shine no one's shoes, lol......not even my own.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 04:22:56 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 04:12:33 pm

#3 RB in the nation says Hi! And we aren't done, yet either. It really doesn't matter what you or I think, the coaching staff obviously thinks it's worth it.

I'm thrilled we got Whaley, but he was going to UGA until Richt got fired. Maybe we can get Kyle Poter too...

Lionheart88

For 160 million, I figured it would be bowled in. I'm not really impressed with that design.

The lower deck will be bowled in, they never had any plans to do the top deck. There will be standing room areas(cheap) on the top. Also, the east end will have a clear glass so you can look into the stadium like you can now from the north end of Stadium Dr. I was surprised at the price tag too, I believe when they put out the Master plan for improvements in 2013 it was estimated to cost $100m. This is for suites, club level, and loge seating. They are planning to lower the upper deck prices, from my understanding.

They can lower the upper deck prices all they want, they still won't be filled on a regular basis.

Because??
Because if you aren't coming from NWA, the ticket price is only a minor part of the cost to attend a game.  There's also parking, gas, possibly a hotel for at least one, often two nights, eating out multiple meals for the family, etc.  $10/ticket won't change many people's ability to get up to a game.  Heck, falling gas prices probably save a lot of people more than that.

ricepig

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 26, 2016, 06:23:06 pm

Because??
Because if you aren't coming from NWA, the ticket price is only a minor part of the cost to attend a game.  There's also parking, gas, possibly a hotel for at least one, often two nights, eating out multiple meals for the family, etc.  $10/ticket won't change many people's ability to get up to a game.  Heck, falling gas prices probably save a lot of people more than that.

I've never had to stay a two night minimum in 25 years of attending regularly. Oh, I agree, I never bought into that line of thought that ticket prices were too high. You can round trip it from LR without spending the night, it's what you WANT to do. People make excuses to do things they want to do, and the same for those they wish not to.

Lumberjackfan1978

Yea but coming from Warren it's rough not staying the night

ricepig

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on January 26, 2016, 08:21:39 pm
Yea but coming from Warren it's rough not staying the night

I fully understand, when I drive, it's 4 1/2 hrs for me. It's just a choice people make, some prefer hunting and spending a small fortune doing that, but never think twice about it. It's all about one's priorities.

Lions84

8-4 + depends on how good the O line is early and how well our new QB plays.

AirWarren

It looks like Chris Daniels is a TAMU lock. Guess the big stadium renovation plans didn't have that excitement factor to land recruits that we thought.

AirWarren

Rice. You're too easy on hogville. Like throwing dynamite in a zoo aquarium.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 28, 2016, 04:16:57 pm
Rice. You're too easy on hogville. Like throwing dynamite in a zoo aquarium.

Nah, you're too predictable, always trolling. As in the above post, also,to be fair, Daniels is going to Texas.

SUGARTOWN

AirWarren

The shoe shiners can pay for it.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: AirWarren on February 02, 2016, 04:45:51 pm

It won't effect me at all. My WMS tickets will be cheaper for the next couple of years and I'll still just pay face value for whatever Fayetteville games I want to go too (one or two a year).

AirWarren

It won't me either. Going to Fayetteville for a football game on a Saturday isn't on my to do list. I'll probably go to WMS until it stops though.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 02, 2016, 04:45:51 pm

You wish you had a pair, lol.

AirWarren

AirWarren

Another recruiting season filled with hopes and dreams. Only to be washed away by the big boys of the SEC. And Texas.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 03, 2016, 01:43:39 pm
Another recruiting season filled with hopes and dreams. Only to be washed away by the big boys of the SEC. And Texas.

You let your hopes and dreams ride on 18yr olds, speaks well of you, lol.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2016, 01:50:00 pm

Every college coaches hopes and dreams rely on 18yr olds every year...lol

Romeo

Bret Bielema called out Ole Miss and Florida on national TV to what is perceived to be anger over recruiting tactics. It is what it is. Recruiting is a dirty business and Arkansas is just not an easy place to recruit. 

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2016, 01:50:00 pm

No no. Not MY hopes and dreams. My life has more going for it than some of those clowns on hogville that get down and out over Razorback football!

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on February 03, 2016, 02:16:37 pm
Bret Bielema called out Ole Miss and Florida on national TV to what is perceived to be anger over recruiting tactics. It is what it is. Recruiting is a dirty business and Arkansas is just not an easy place to recruit. 

He has since said that what he said was mistaken and he has personally called both coaches to apologize for anything that may have come off as negative.

Whether he meant it or not. Fayetteville will always rank as one of the toughest place to recruit top notch talent to in the sec. Location. Location. Location.

WPWells

They took his quote entirely out of context to create a media firestorm

AirWarren

Top 25 class. I'm ok with that.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas